Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
I meant additional cable over what we have today. We're all carrying around lightning cables. But yes, it'll be nice when USB-C to USB-C is all we need!
Oh gotcha, I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, we are already carrying around USB-A to lightning, USB-C to Lightning, and USB-C to USB-C, and soon will need to add USB-A to USB-C 😅

Until all iPads, iPhones, Magic accessories, AirPod accessories, and anything else that I’m forgetting go to USB-C, and also ports on planes, in coffee shops, hotel lobbies, et al, go to USB-C, we are definitely gonna be needing multiple cables tucked away unfortunately.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Oh gotcha, I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, we are already carrying around USB-A to lightning, USB-C to Lightning, and USB-C to USB-C, and soon will need to add USB-A to USB-C 😅

Until all iPads, iPhones, Magic accessories, AirPod accessories, and anything else that I’m forgetting go to USB-C, and also ports on planes, in coffee shops, hotel lobbies, et al, go to USB-C, we are definitely gonna be needing multiple cables tucked away unfortunately.

Yeah, looking back at my posts I certainly wasn't clear about what I was saying! :p One day we'll be down to a cable or two, although it's nice charging my MBA (and Switch!) from the same power brick as my phone and iPad. Progress!

Reactions: Tyler O'Bannon

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Yeah, looking back at my posts I certainly wasn't clear about what I was saying! :p One day we'll be down to a cable or two, although it's nice charging my MBA (and Switch!) from the same power brick as my phone and iPad. Progress!
Lol all good!

I do the exact same thing for my Switch. Been using 12" MacBook 29W adapter and cable for years. That's basically all it charges on.

Also, I totally forgot MagSafe3 in my list of cables too 😂 (although you can replace that with USB-C)

And I guess MagSafe for iPhone. And Apple Watch charger. And other various wireless chargers. 😂

Reactions: dmr727

AeroEngineer

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
Netherlands
Having just returned from my first intercontinental trip in almost 3 years and looking at my travel kit, the switch to USB-C will likely increase the amount of cables I carry by 1 (maybe 2). I carry a charger brick in my jacket pocket on the plane (do not recall seeing USB-A outlets on my flights, but the seats def had outlets) and I can use the iPad charging cable, requiring 1 less cable to carry in the pocket.

I guess the only new cable necessary is a USB-A to USB-C for CarPlay in the rental car. And for the time being, I'll also be a USB-C to Lightning for the (old) back-up phone and AirPods. Thinking of changing to MagSafe for that though. I think I drag "a lot" of cables with me on a trip, but I prefer the convenience of having cables at the place I stay and in the car over traveling "light".

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Was thinking how great it will be to have a USB-C iPhone 15 next year. One cable to rule them all, etc. But then I just took a flight and realized it will take airlines probably another 10 years or more to swap out all the USB-A ports on seats for USB-C ports...

:(

This is why I want Apple to continue innovating with their own proprietary cables. There is no real convenience gained, so we're just sacrificing innovation for nothing.

Neil Harrison

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Just buy a usb a to usb c adapter

Amazon carries many inexpensive adaptor combos as needed.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
You would probably bring a power brick with you, right? The good thing about a lot of planes these days is some of them include AC power ports, so you won't even need an airline adapter like you used to, just get your normal brick out.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
This is why I want Apple to continue innovating with their own proprietary cables. There is no real convenience gained, so we're just sacrificing innovation for nothing.
Apple isn't doing any innovation with Lightning, it's stayed pretty much the same. Plus being able to charge your iPad and iPhone with the same cable is added convenience, never mind the speed improvements and existing accessories.

Anyway, the only reason Lightning exists is because the 30-pin connector took up too much space and USB-C was still in development. USB-C was designed with Apple's assistance and is Lightning's successor. It's become quite clear that Apple has little to no interest in proprietary iOS device "port innovation" other than creating Lightning out of necessity. They'd rather remove ports than develop new ones.
MagSafe is where any innovating is going.

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
The whole cable thing is cray! Have an iPhone 13 Pro… lightning… just bought an iPad Pro… USB-C. Just sat in my seat on a 2 hour flight to New York. Only USB-A for charging. The iPad will last. I guess I need an A to C. Sigh!

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
I'm just saying I haven't been on a plane in a decade that didn't have regular AC outlets. These aren't expensive business flights either - these are on Spirit Airlines and other small 2/3 row planes in the economy section.

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Update… towards the end of the flight I did find the AC outlet. It was buried under the armrest. Amazon is sending me an A to C.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
I just bought a USB-A to USB-C cable. Works great on flights.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yep, that's what will need to be done. So much for only having to carry USB-C-to-USB-C cables...
I do not see why people make a big deal about carrying one cable type. When I travel I have multiple cable types, chargers etc.

And I would never travel with one cable, so I wind up by taking multiple cables of the same type anyway.

I also carry an anker 20000+ mah battery so I don’t have to plug into airplane outlets.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
The industry: Obviously the solution to these multiple cable standards is to develop a new universal standard to rule them all, we’re gonna call it USB-D, it will feature a new circular plug that’s even easier to plug in. Give us a minute while we lobby the EU to mandate it for all future devices

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.