Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trialser

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
I finally updated to 4.2.1 and what a disappointment. I can no longer use my sd card connection kit. Says there is not enough power. I would not have updated if I knew this. Is there anyway around this? Software in Cydia possibly?

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Might be able to downgrade if you were JB before the upgrade and saved your keys with cydia or tiny umbrella.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
I finally updated to 4.2.1 and what a disappointment. I can no longer use my sd card connection kit. Says there is not enough power. I would not have updated if I knew this. Is there anyway around this? Software in Cydia possibly?

Ditto here, except that I knew it was going to happen. Very frustrating.

I have just been hoping there would be a fix soon.

Anybody?

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Take it to apple if it's not a jb defect, your iPad is still under warranty. You may be able to get it replaced

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Its not a defect, its a "feature" of 4.2 ... they've reduce the power to the port from 100 ma to 20 ma. This is to stop people using things Apple dont like in the port (USB drives, keyboards etc), but its also stopped compatibility with half of the SD cards in the world.

There own camera connection kit is now fatally flawed under this update. Bad Apple.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Have you tested with 4.3 to see if it works with the update? I'd be interested, since I might actually buy the connector if it does.

jlykins

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
The issue wasn't addressed in 4.3. Apple doesn't find it a problem. They did it on purpose. Is anyone working on a way to fix this? It seems that the reduction of power has to be a software control not a hardware control thus it should be able to be changed by someone with programming/jailbreak experience. Any help would be appreciated!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
The issue wasn't addressed in 4.3. Apple doesn't find it a problem. They did it on purpose. Is anyone working on a way to fix this? It seems that the reduction of power has to be a software control not a hardware control thus it should be able to be changed by someone with programming/jailbreak experience. Any help would be appreciated!

Too bad - I know it can be resolved by using a powered USB hub for the connection, but that's not very elegant. I was hoping perhaps Apple would have conceded that there are some very good reasons for reinstating the 100 mA limit. On the plus side, I hadn't spent the money on the connector yet.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Too bad - I know it can be resolved by using a powered USB hub for the connection, but that's not very elegant. I was hoping perhaps Apple would have conceded that there are some very good reasons for reinstating the 100 mA limit. On the plus side, I hadn't spent the money on the connector yet.

Agreed, it's ridiculous that they would cripple their own adapter. But then again it's also ridiculous that the old iPod camera adapter, which looks exactly the same, doesn't work on the iPad.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
So I just bought the camera connection kit for my iPad 2.

Now that I've learned about this "reduced power" crap I'm wondering if I should return it. The other thing is that it doesn't support SDXC cards (as far as I know).

Instead of the $36 I spent on that crappy product I'm thinking I might just get one of the third party ones off eBay that has 5 in 1 ports.

Thoughts?

And yeah I had initially hoped to be able to attach a pen drive and load some movies on it. I'm going on a trip to Europe and wanted to have extra movies on a pen drive (seasons of tv shows). It works on some of my drives but ANY flash drive that has an LED doesn't work for me. Only my crappy no-name brand ones with nothing by the USB attachment and main body will work.

Anyone know if a 8gb Cruzer blade will work? It looks like it's a pretty simple drive, no fancy lights. Just the usb part and thats it.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
So I just bought the camera connection kit for my iPad 2.

Now that I've learned about this "reduced power" crap I'm wondering if I should return it. The other thing is that it doesn't support SDXC cards (as far as I know).

Instead of the $36 I spent on that crappy product I'm thinking I might just get one of the third party ones off eBay that has 5 in 1 ports.

Thoughts?

And yeah I had initially hoped to be able to attach a pen drive and load some movies on it. I'm going on a trip to Europe and wanted to have extra movies on a pen drive (seasons of tv shows). It works on some of my drives but ANY flash drive that has an LED doesn't work for me. Only my crappy no-name brand ones with nothing by the USB attachment and main body will work.

Anyone know if a 8gb Cruzer blade will work? It looks like it's a pretty simple drive, no fancy lights. Just the usb part and thats it.

eBay kits have the same issue. The problem lies on the iPad itself. I haven't found many SD cards that work. The only thing I can get to work reliably is my camera's USB connection. Contemplating a jb just for this issue.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
I used my SD card yesterday and it worked. It's the SDHC format which I understand is still compatible. It's a 8GB. I am considering upgrading to a 16gb but I guess I'll have to make sure its the SDHC format still.

I didn't mean the eBay readers would solve the problem, I just meant in terms of cost effectiveness, it seems like I can buy something for half the price which doesn't need two separate attachments (more portable) and still do the same crippled job that the "official" apple ones do.

Apple is really starting to piss me off.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
there's seriously no JB tweak for this? I would write one if I knew what I was doing, but I don't understand if it was changed in a software update can't there be a tweak to change it back?

Someone please get on this. **** I'd pay $5 for it just make it please...

pumori

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Just found this out and am a bit bummed that I updated my iPad. Apple is becoming a sad relic. Just heard a Gates interview on the radio and he tried to claim that Microsoft wasn't behind the curve on tablets. Very sad to see Apple going the same direction. In 10 years they will still be making money but irrelevant and gone in 15.

Womblethump

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Hi all, this is a disaster not being able to use the camera connection kit. Is there any way to install an earlier iOS that supports the kit?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
One thing I can't help wondering about all this is...

If Apple didn't want us to use USB keyboard, headphones, memory sticks and so on with our iPads, why in the hell did they develop USB driver support for them?

USB keyboard support has to be implemented, it doesn't just magically appear. Same deal with USB audio device support.

So they went through the trouble of implementing software support for these devices, only to add a current limit later? I'm still trying to figure out Apple's reasoning here. What's wrong with selling more camera connection kits and iPads because they can do more stuff?

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Iv've written Apple about this and the switch on the side. The switch was fixed. I suspect there aren't enough people griping about the cck.

Tome, it is frustrating as all get out. I wish I could develop software, or I would figure it out. I have the next two months off, but I have tried programming before, and my mind just isn't made that way.

Bu surely somebody wants to make a few bucks and develop something like this. There has to be a software fix for those of luck enough to have a JBed iPad!?!?

rogercy

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2011
I have the iPad 1 running iOS 4.3.3. I have no problem using the camera connection kit with my SDHC cards or my USB thumb drive. The only problem I have is that it only reads/writes to my Corsair 32 GB thumb drive and not my other ones. But I have no problems with read/write of my other SDHC cards.

But still, Apple does piss me off that they've done this crap. Can't wait for the other tablet makers to catch up so I can have more of a choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.