Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brock434

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2015
Anyone know a USB Wireless Adapter that will work with El Capitan?

I'm running a Macbook Pro built in late 2011. So it doesn't have a USB 3.0 port, only USB 2.0. Also, the built in wireless isn't working, hence my desire to try an external adapter.

I tried an ASUS N13 adaptor, which has drivers that go up to 10.7, but I wasn't able to get it working for El Capitan.

Any advice?

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
have you tried/considered replacing the airport card? might be more convenient unless you dont really use the usb ports too much

Reactions: brock434

brock434

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2015
I hadn't considered it up until now, because I thought it would be pretty easy to get a third party dongle. And I'm ok to give up one of the USB ports for a dongle. But surprisingly, to me, it's not turning out to be very easy at all....

To replace the airport card, it seems like I would have to buy a used airport card (from someplace like iFixit, replace the card and then do a clean install of El Capitan.

Is that what you are suggesting?

Thanks for your advice...

have you tried/considered replacing the airport card? might be more convenient unless you dont really use the usb ports too much

BubbaJones

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
East Coast
I just got the AmazonBasics USB 2.0 Ethernet adapter for my 2015 MBA. Works fine.

Oops... You're looking for wireless. Never mind. ☺️

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Thanks for the tip. I checked the selection. Not a single one that supports 10.11.

OK, according to Trisha S. from OWC customer support, the following adapter works with El Capitan:
Edimax EW-7811Un Wi-Fi USB 802.11n Wireless Adapter

EDMEW7811UN_hero.jpg

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Why not replace the Airport card? I did that on my 2011 MBP and ran CAT. Loving every second of it.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I too am interested in finding an external USB Wifi card (one that has a RP-SMA connector) that I can replace the stock (5dB) omni-directional antenna for a high-power directional WiFi antenna.

I have yet to find a compatible or installable USB Wifi Adapter that works under El Capitan.... :(

Anyone know of one?

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I note that the Edimax Driver page has separate links for every OSX version from 10.4 through 10.10. No link for 10.11, though, which is why I originally disqualified it. However, based on your info, I'm going to give it a try.

Now I'm starting to doubt... I asked for El Capitan support but they didn't explicitly acknowledge that; I got back the following reply:
> the oldest OS it will support is 10.4.11 to later meaning newest OS. If you have any questions or concerns please let me know by replying to this email.

El Cap is of course the newest OS, but she might as well be quoting from some old info. You could of course ask them yourself; http://eshop.macsales.com/Service/

brock434

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2015
This adapter does not work with El Capitan. I was dubious but I thought I'd try it anyway. Didn't work. I called Edimax support directly to confirm. They confirmed what the webpage said - there is no driver for 10.11. They've been waiting for the company that makes the chip set, RealTech, to release a driver, which they have not done yet. Originally it was scheduled for mid Nov, then end of Dec, now mid January, unless it gets pushed again.

Now I'm starting to doubt... I asked for El Capitan support but they didn't explicitly acknowledge that; I got back the following reply:
> the oldest OS it will support is 10.4.11 to later meaning newest OS. If you have any questions or concerns please let me know by replying to this email.

El Cap is of course the newest OS, but she might as well be quoting from some old info. You could of course ask them yourself; http://eshop.macsales.com/Service/

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I would presume the driver from Yosemite would work, I guess your problem is SIP related (the new security feature in El Capitan).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Has anyone tried:
1. Turning OFF "System Integrity Protection", then
2. Installing the latest driver (even if it's for 10.10), then
3. ... Turning SIP back on?

brock434

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2015
Thanks for the heads up - looks like the driver was just released a couple of days ago. I've ordered the adaptor and will report back - hopefully with a success story! - once it arrives and I install it.

Got my hands on one and tried the 7811 myself as well, and indeed it doesn't work. However, Edimax has a driver page:
http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm

It says that there's a 10.11 (El Capitan) driver available for the Edimax 7711-MAC.
http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7711MAC-Adapter-Performance-10-7~10-10/dp/B00LGN8HWS

bridgetom

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2016
France
Thanks for the heads up - looks like the driver was just released a couple of days ago. I've ordered the adaptor and will report back - hopefully with a success story! - once it arrives and I install it.

Hi. Was wondering if this adapter does work on EL Captain with the updated driver?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.