Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brock434

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2015
Confirming that the Edimax EW-7711MAC does indeed work with El Capitan. You need the latest drivers from the Edimax website.

It's not the greatest interface - it requires using a separate utility to connect and that utility doesn't remember passwords and dynamically switch between networks as they are available the way the native Mac wireless utility does, but it does work.

Hi. Was wondering if this adapter does work on EL Captain with the updated driver?

Reactions: cerberusss

Abel R.

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2016
I have a Netgear N150 WNA1000M Micro Adaptor / RLL8188CUS and a MacBook Pro Mid 2011.
like everybody else, my Airport does not work. I replaced it and still doesn't work.
I downloaded this:

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/458...altek-wireless-usb-adapters-el-capitan-ready/

and my Netgear Mini now works GREAT !!!

Before you run this downloaded setup, I first had to keep the adaptor plugged and disable the System Integrity Protection as follows:

1. Reboot the Mac and hold down Command + R keys simultaneously after you hear the startup chime, this will boot OS X into Recovery Mode
  2. When the “OS X Utilities” screen appears, pull down the ‘Utilities’ menu at the top of the screen instead, and choose “Terminal”
  3. Type the following command into the terminal then hit return:
    csrutil disable; reboot
  4. You’ll see a message saying that System Integrity Protection has been disabled and the Mac needs to restart for changes to take effect, and the Mac will then reboot itself automatically, just let it boot up as normal
Good Luck !!

Reactions: Falcon_defender

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I too am interested in finding an external USB Wifi card (one that has a RP-SMA connector) that I can replace the stock (5dB) omni-directional antenna for a high-power directional WiFi antenna.

I have yet to find a compatible or installable USB Wifi Adapter that works under El Capitan.... :(

Anyone know of one?

Amped Wireless ACA1

setcooki

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2017
so ... we are in 2017 and i am wondering if you guys have found a device/solution to get running on >= osx. 10.11?

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I am using 10.11 (El Capitan) and am using these USB WiFi adapters from EDUP since they have drivers for El Cap & Sierra.

http://www.szedup.com/products/home-network/wi-fi-adapter/

Here are the 2 models that i use:

EP-MS1559
EP-DB1607

I hope this helps, as I had a hell of a time to find El Cap drivers for external USB Wifi adapters.

PS: The EDUP line of wifi adapters is very reasonably priced compared to other brands. They use the Realtek chipset.

Here is the driver download section:

http://www.szedup.com/support/driver-download/

Last edited:

setcooki

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2017
i cant see which one you are referring to. in the download section there is no mention of osx 10.11+ and downloads are all broken btw

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
i cant see which one you are referring to. in the download section there is no mention of osx 10.11+ and downloads are all broken btw

Sorry about that, I updated my Post# 35, to the good and working links.

setcooki

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2017
appreciate your help but none of the above mentioned drivers work on 10.11.5. its the same issue with them all. on my system i get a kernel panic regardless of 32-bit mode, sip turned off and whatever. i tried several adapters and drivers and hacks ... i spend 2 days and my conclusion is a) i am not system level good enough to implement whatever hacks proposed and/or my system is an exception or b) most of the people responding with yes it works want to promote a specific vendor .. i guess its a 50/50 thing ...

anyways. i can recommend, to all the people looking for a extending their mobile reach, going a different way all together. i am looking now at battery powerable mobile hotspots that have sma antenna, ethernet and some sort of wifi to ethernet client mode.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I don't know what you mean, as I own & am using both of these EDUP Wifi adapters on 10.11.6

EP-MS1559
EP-DB1607

These are both Realtek chipset.

You might want to try a clean install of El Cap (10.11.6) and simply use the drivers that come with the Edup adapters. They work great for me.

Falcon_defender

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
I have a Netgear N150 WNA1000M Micro Adaptor / RLL8188CUS and a MacBook Pro Mid 2011.
like everybody else, my Airport does not work. I replaced it and still doesn't work.
I downloaded this:

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/458...altek-wireless-usb-adapters-el-capitan-ready/

and my Netgear Mini now works GREAT !!!

Before you run this downloaded setup, I first had to keep the adaptor plugged and disable the System Integrity Protection as follows:

1. Reboot the Mac and hold down Command + R keys simultaneously after you hear the startup chime, this will boot OS X into Recovery Mode
  2. When the “OS X Utilities” screen appears, pull down the ‘Utilities’ menu at the top of the screen instead, and choose “Terminal”
  3. Type the following command into the terminal then hit return:
    csrutil disable; reboot
  4. You’ll see a message saying that System Integrity Protection has been disabled and the Mac needs to restart for changes to take effect, and the Mac will then reboot itself automatically, just let it boot up as normal
Good Luck !!
I've been using a TP Link T2U WiFi dongle for sometime but as soon as I updated my Mac to el capitan, it stopped working! I was this close to buying a new one..then I found this solution...omg!!! Can't thank you enough!! This works!!! ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.