Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Okay, so I have Foobar2000 installed, Installed the QAAC and also iTunes which was not previously installed. I do not see AALC listed in the convert window.

Do I need to reinstall Foobar2000 after having installed iTunes?
No. That should not be necessary. As mentioned, it's not AALC but ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)
Oh Apple Lossless. I have that. I was looking for AALC not Apple Lossless. Thanks again, I'm not familiar at all with these formats. I'll check them out.
Did Apple Lossless disappear from the list in foobar2000?

VintageMacGS

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022
Okay, so I have Foobar2000 installed, Installed the QAAC and also iTunes which was not previously installed. I do not see AALC listed in the convert window.

Do I need to reinstall Foobar2000 after having installed iTunes?
As I said before, I don't use Windows as much as Mac but the process works the same using iTunes in both systems. I never mentioned Foobar and you don't need it if you use iTunes. You said you have the files in AIFF format so the following will apply to that. I still use an older iTunes 10.7 version as I like the CoverFlow format but newer versions work the same.

First, after installing iTunes you need to add your music folders from the File menu. I just added a few for the screen shot. These are AIFF files:
iTunes 1.png

Then, go to your Preferences menu under Edit and go to Import settings:
iTunes 2.png

Select the one that says Apple Lossless Encoder which is ALAC:
iTunes 3.png

Now, select the tracks you want to convert by highlighting them and to the Advanced menu and you will see the choice of Create Apple Lossless Version. That choice will change depending on what you set in the import preferences mentioned earlier. So if you didn't change it at first, it is usually AAC so you must select the one you want in the import preferences:
iTunes 4.png

Once you do that, iTunes will start converting the tracks and you will see the new ones listed under the original ones:

iTunes 5.png

You can check that the new track is Apple Lossless by selecting it and getting the Information under the File menu. Apple Lossless files do not have the same bit rate like AIFF:
iTunes 6.png

As you can see from the last screen shot, it tells you it is an Apple Lossless file as well as the fact that it was converted with iTunes. Notice it indicates where it stored the files. That is usually the default media folder but you can specify the location before starting this process. For example, my AIFF files are on a separate drive from my ALAC files and mp3 ones. When you do the conversion in iTunes, it will place the new files in the media folder you specify in the general preferences. I hope this helps you in the conversion process.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Oh my...is that really what iTunes still looks like on Windows?
I had to check my calendar that I hadn't slipped back in time to 2012

VintageMacGS

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022
Oh my...is that really what iTunes still looks like on Windows?
I had to check my calendar that I hadn't slipped back in time to 2012
I rarely use Windows as I stated earlier but it is a Windows 7 installation using iTunes 10.7 since that is what I had on there at the time and still like the CoverFlow look. But the conversion fundamentals are the same going back to most iTunes versions whether Mac or Windows. The OP stated Windows was being used but did mention Mac as well. Since I haven't heard back from the OP, I don't know whether the ALAC conversion worked or not.

Reactions: MajorFubar

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
To all I found a free (as in beer) application called X Lossless Audio Recorder for Mac OS. As of the Web site it is now even Universal!
Could you please stop spamming? Alone in this thread it‘s the second time you praise XLD when OP specifically stated s/he‘s looking for a Windows solution and XLD has already been recommended multiple times before you.
XLD is great, I use it too!
But you’re suggesting donations to XLD in other threads as well where it‘s totally irrelevant to the topic.
Thanks

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Could you please stop spamming? Alone in this thread it‘s the second time you praise XLD when OP specifically stated s/he‘s looking for a Windows solution and XLD has already been recommended multiple times before you.
XLD is great, I use it too!
But you’re suggesting donations to XLD in other threads as well where it‘s totally irrelevant to the topic.
Thanks
XLD also gas a Window version kids XLD For Windows instead of insulting me!

VintageMacGS

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022
XLD also gas a Window version kids XLD For Windows instead of insulting me!
There is no Windows version of XLD. If you read the link you posted carefully it says:

"However, it is a pity that there is no Windows version of XLD. If you are in need of XLD Windows, the following passage will introduce you a wonderful XLD for Windows tool."

That page is for another product that is an "alternative" as they refer to it. It is not XLD which is Mac only.

• Angry
Reactions: satcomer

VintageMacGS

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022
For those looking for something like XLD to use on Windows, there is EAC (Exact Audio Copy) as well as foobar which was mentioned already:

Reactions: arw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.