Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightWingz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
The iPad Pro has one of the best consumer speakers around.

It genuinely beats out plenty of Bluetooth speakers I’ve tried.

Is there a way to route audio from a laptop or desktop to output on the iPad Pro speakers?

I am open to purchasing third party apps that can support this function.

Thanks.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Is there a way to route audio from a laptop or desktop to output on the iPad Pro speakers?

Thanks.

You could use something like Jump Desktop to open a remote window to the other machine on the iPad - audio played on the remote device is routed to the iPad. Don't know what the quality of the piped audio is, though. That would allow playing playlists hosted on the remote device. Another option is a file manager (or Files) to make an SMB connection to the remote device but that would only support playing single files. I also use a nice app called MusicStreamer to stream audio from my NAS - yet another option (perhaps best option - it can connect to any device on the network via SMB). This wouldn't be routing sound from the remote device - just playing files on your iPad hosted on that device.

NightWingz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
You could use something like Jump Desktop to open a remote window to the other machine on the iPad - audio played on the remote device is routed to the iPad. Don't know what the quality of the piped audio is, though. That would allow playing playlists hosted on the remote device. Another option is a file manager (or Files) to make an SMB connection to the remote device but that would only support playing single files. I also use a nice app called MusicStreamer to stream audio from my NAS - yet another option (perhaps best option - it can connect to any device on the network via SMB). This wouldn't be routing sound from the remote device - just playing files on your iPad hosted on that device.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I do have Jump Desktop. Usually, audio routed through such remote solutions are not ideal.

I was thinking of using the iPad Pro as dedicated speakers for gaming on Steam.

If there was a way to connect the iPad Pro to the PC with a USB-C cable and route the audio that way....

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I do have Jump Desktop. Usually, audio routed through such remote solutions are not ideal.

If there was a way to connect the iPad Pro to the PC with a USB-C cable and route the audio that way....

I don't think there is. Is MusicStreamer a viable option?

NightWingz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
I don't think there is. Is MusicStreamer a viable option?

Thanks - MusicStreamer looks like it’s mainly used for music library streaming and can’t be used to route audio for gaming.

Appreciate your help though.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks - MusicStreamer looks like it’s mainly used for music library streaming and can’t be used to route audio for gaming.

Appreciate your help though.

ah, I misunderstood your use case. You want to sit at the laptop/desktop and play a game on it and use an iPad solely for sound. Makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. I can see where a remote connection would also cause latency issues - a direct connection is really needed. Best of luck - if you find a solution, please post back here as to what works.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Thanks.
Have you tried Luna Display or Duet Display?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

I would go the Jump Desktop route, that's what I do. Contrary to other remote solutions JD does not skip audio if your connection is not great, it just slows down and then go a bit faster to catch up... There is no other way as far as I know (Duet display does not work with audio...). Of course audio will never be perfect as native, but it's good enough, and there is no native solution for ipad...

NightWingz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Ah, I guess that leaves Luna Display then.

Luna Display does not support Windows yet.

ah, I misunderstood your use case. You want to sit at the laptop/desktop and play a game on it and use an iPad solely for sound. Makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. I can see where a remote connection would also cause latency issues - a direct connection is really needed. Best of luck - if you find a solution, please post back here as to what works.
I would go the Jump Desktop route, that's what I do. Contrary to other remote solutions JD does not skip audio if your connection is not great, it just slows down and then go a bit faster to catch up... There is no other way as far as I know (Duet display does not work with audio...). Of course audio will never be perfect as native, but it's good enough, and there is no native solution for ipad...

Thanks guys - I just gave Jump Desktop a go while playing Dying Light.

I wouldn’t call the experience enjoyable, as I have been using a 3.5mm connection with a Sony MDR-1000X.

There is understandably a drop in audio quality, and some (minimal) latency - but by and large, it is playable/serviceable if one adjusts his/her expectation.

Not sure if not having both devices on the same network will introduce more latency issues (e.g. normal remote access at a different location).

My setup: Desktop is hard-wired via Ethernet, and iPad Pro is on the same network connected via 5GHz connection. Visual-wise, there is screen-tearing and major latency, but the good thing is I can put the iPad Pro‘s display to sleep with Jump running in the background and audio works fine.

Conclusion: This is a decent alternative if I do not feel like wearing headphones.

Thanks again guys! :)

PS: Really impressed with Jump Desktop - really glad I bought the app a few years ago. Every penny was well spent - bought the iOS and Mac versions. As more and more businesses move to subscription-based services, it’s nice that Jump is still a one-time purchase, and the app has been getting major updates without releasing new versions to get existing customers to re-purchase.

It’s one of those apps that I find I got more value than I paid for over the years. Hope the company can survive and prosper - they deserve to. :)

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Luna Display does not support Windows yet.

Thanks guys - I just gave Jump Desktop a go while playing Dying Light.

I wouldn’t call the experience enjoyable, as I have been using a 3.5mm connection with a Sony MDR-1000X.

There is understandably a drop in audio quality, and some (minimal) latency - but by and large, it is playable/serviceable if one adjusts his/her expectation.

Not sure if not having both devices on the same network will introduce more latency issues (e.g. normal remote access at a different location).

My setup: Desktop is hard-wired via Ethernet, and iPad Pro is on the same network connected via 5GHz connection. Visual-wise, there is screen-tearing and major latency, but the good thing is I can put the iPad Pro‘s display to sleep with Jump running in the background and audio works fine.

Conclusion: This is a decent alternative if I do not feel like wearing headphones.

Thanks again guys! :)

PS: Really impressed with Jump Desktop - really glad I bought the app a few years ago. Every penny was well spent - bought the iOS and Mac versions. As more and more businesses move to subscription-based services, it’s nice that Jump is still a one-time purchase, and the app has been getting major updates without releasing new versions to get existing customers to re-purchase.

It’s one of those apps that I find I got more value than I paid for over the years. Hope the company can survive and prosper - they deserve to. :)
You don’t need to be in the same network, you just need to have a good connection. Ethernet is the best for a windows device and a 5ghz network is the best for ipad (well technicallly the best is native ethernet via a usb c hub that has ethernet, but that would hardwire your ipad too, which is not what you want I guess...and wifi on ipads is great). Anyway if you connection is very good on both ends you can be in different continents and still have the same experience.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore

Thanks.
They are really good, I think the separation helps make it feel like surround sound also.

sys_clk

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
You can use xyzSpeaker.
Make your iPad/iPhone/Android phone or tablet become computer’s speaker:

Function support list:
1. Use your mobile phone as a computer’s Speaker.
2. Use the mobile phone as the microphone input of the computer.
3. Play the sound of the mobile phone through the computer.

Support all operating systems such as Android/iPhone/iPad/MacbookPro/Windows/Linux.

Since the solution uses real-time hardware acceleration, there is no loss of network transmission compression distortion, so the biggest advantage is that there is no delay and lossless sound quality. It is suitable for occasions with high delay requirements such as playing games. Plug and play does not require software installation on the computer. . Use the high-quality speakers that come with the iPad Pro, which is better than most low-priced small speakers.

Attachments

• Banner_new.JPG
    Banner_new.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

Sullivan0930

Suspended
Oct 14, 2021
I agree that the IPP has great speakers, its why i watch videos on it over my other larger devices.

but for you maybe buy two homepod minis?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You can use xyzSpeaker.
Make your iPad/iPhone/Android phone or tablet become computer’s speaker:

Function support list:
1. Use your mobile phone as a computer’s Speaker.
2. Use the mobile phone as the microphone input of the computer.
3. Play the sound of the mobile phone through the computer.

Support all operating systems such as Android/iPhone/iPad/MacbookPro/Windows/Linux.

Since the solution uses real-time hardware acceleration, there is no loss of network transmission compression distortion, so the biggest advantage is that there is no delay and lossless sound quality. It is suitable for occasions with high delay requirements such as playing games. Plug and play does not require software installation on the computer. . Use the high-quality speakers that come with the iPad Pro, which is better than most low-priced small speakers.
is this a scam/phishing? the address leads to an unsecured website in Chinese

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
NO, I designed this tool's software and hardware to make iPad become computer’s speaker.
Well I would recommend nobody to go to a Chinese only website, with no https, that you couldn't even link here (you used an attached picture with the address....) You can hardly do any more sketchy than that

sys_clk

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
Well I would recommend nobody to go to a Chinese only website, with no https, that you couldn't even link here (you used an attached picture with the address....) You can hardly do any more sketchy than that
I can give you an English version website, but the translation is still doing, I need some time to totally translate the Chinese website

sys_clk

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
Thanks for your reply, according to your suggestion, I write some software code which auto detect user's browser language and forward users to different language webpage. Now it will auto show you English content not Chinese content.

nicolashd07

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2023
Gracias por su respuesta, de acuerdo con su sugerencia, escribo un código de software que detecta automáticamente el idioma del navegador del usuario y reenvía a los usuarios a una página web en otro idioma. Ahora le mostrará automáticamente el contenido en inglés, no el contenido en chino.
Good day! I am interested in your website's product, the XYZspeack. I noticed that you only handle sales through Taobao.com. Is there a way for you to handle sales through AliExpress or another globally accessible platform? I live in Mexico and it's difficult for me to determine if a successful purchase can be made through Taobao. I'll be looking forward to your response.:apple:👏

Alfilde

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2023
Is it possible to use a pair of old iPads as wireless speakers for a newer iPad when watching a movie or listening to podcasts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.