Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hi All,

I'm using Yosemite on my MBP : 13',late 2011, 2.4GHz i5.

I am a light user; browsing, word, excel, music etc.

I feel comfortable using Yosemite; its the only OS X I have used, being a former (life long)windows user.

I have not yet considered updating to any other OS X, even though I have read on this Forum that my MBP will support HS.

I am considering a 'clean install' of Yosemite, just to refresh the MBP a bit.

Who else is using Yosemite in 2018?

I am curious about the reasons.

Also looking forward to hear about lil details about Yosemite that you find better suited to your needs.

TIA.

Reactions: tigerandyx9

Stygma

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
I wish I could run Yosemite. I have a 15" 2015 MacBook Pro, so it could run it but it came with El Captain and I don't have the ability to download Yosemite because it was not available for download from the App Store when I got my MBP. I want it because I use my MBP for DJing and Yosemite is the most stable OS release for working with my DJ Software.

A clean install never hurts, but if you just end up restoring from Time Machine after the clean install then it might not be as good.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I feel comfortable using Yosemite; its the only OS X I have used, being a former (life long)windows user."

Use whichever version of the OS works best for you.
Don't feel that you have to have the "approval of others" to do so.
Use what works best for you.

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro (not my main MacBook) that still runs fine on 10.6.8.
That's where it will stay.

I experimented with Yosemite for a little while, it seemed stable enough.
For my newer MacBook Pro, I like El Capitan.

The only reason I would upgrade (from Yosemite) is if the browsers "got too old" to handle the newest web content. Even then, you may be able to find alternate browsers (such as iCab, etc.) that will keep working.

I definitely WOULD NOT recommend High Sierra (or even Low Sierra) for a 2011 MBP.

Reactions: MBP_187

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
I wish I could run Yosemite. I have a 15" 2015 MacBook Pro, so it could run it but it came with El Captain and I don't have the ability to download Yosemite because it was not available for download from the App Store when I got my MBP. I want it because I use my MBP for DJing and Yosemite is the most stable OS release for working with my DJ Software.

A clean install never hurts, but if you just end up restoring from Time Machine after the clean install then it might not be as good.

Thank you for your reply Stygma.

Interesting!; I would have thought that later versions of OS X would also be good for mixing/DJing softwares, esp. since MBP is the choice of most DJs internationally.

Good point about restoring from Time Machine, what would you suggest as a better way of restoring? (after a clean install)

I'm a relative MBP noob, but I think I came across posts here in the Forum which have links for dl of Yosemite. Try the Mac OS X section of this Forum; they have a separate section for Yosemite :

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/os-x-yosemite-10-10.171/

Good Luck.
[doublepost=1520492727][/doublepost]Thank you for your reply Fishrrman.

OP wrote:
"I feel comfortable using Yosemite; its the only OS X I have used, being a former (life long)windows user."

Use whichever version of the OS works best for you.

Thank you for this. I am enjoying my MBP experience with Yosemite. I read alot of posts in the Forum about other OS X, so am curious if I should upgrade or not.

I've been reading good things about El Capitan. What would you say are the major differences/improvements from Yosemite? (considering my light usage pattern : browsing, word, excel, music etc.)

The only reason I would upgrade (from Yosemite) is if the browsers "got too old" to handle the newest web content. Even then, you may be able to find alternate browsers (such as iCab, etc.) that will keep working.

Sorry, I did not understand this point. I currently use Chrome as my browser, I used to use Firefox before. I never really liked the feel of Safari. Is this something to think about (the browsers "got too old") if I am using Chrome?. Asking again because I did not understand.

I definitely WOULD NOT recommend High Sierra (or even Low Sierra) for a 2011 MBP.

Thank you for this recommendation :) Forum is filled with posts of 2011 MBP running on HS/S, but I have been personally wary.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Yosemite Safari is no longer secure, as it is no longer being updated for Yosemite. Chrome is fine though.

For Safari, I recommend minimum El Capitan, but Sierra preferred. High Sierra has the best version of Photos, but causes issues with legacy versions of some software, like Photoshop and MS Office.

I run High Sierra on all my active machines, including a 2008 MacBook and a 2009 MacBook Pro. However, all of them except one has an SSD in it. SSD is necessary for a laptop running High Sierra. Then again, I think SSD is necessary for a laptop running Yosemite as well. The last version of OS X that runs really well on a HD is Snow Leopard IMO.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Yosemite Safari is no longer secure, as it is no longer being updated for Yosemite. Chrome is fine though.

For Safari, I recommend minimum El Capitan, but Sierra preferred. High Sierra has the best version of Photos, but causes issues with legacy versions of some software, like Photoshop and MS Office.

I run High Sierra on all my active machines, including a 2008 MacBook and a 2009 MacBook Pro. However, all of them except one has an SSD in it. SSD is necessary for a laptop running High Sierra. Then again, I think SSD is necessary for a laptop running Yosemite as well. The last version of OS X that runs really well on a HD is Snow Leopard IMO.

Thank you for your input and recommendations EugW.

It is a relief to read; since I use Chrome and do not use Safari at all. I also don't use any banking apps :p but do use my MBP for online shopping.

I have a Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512Gb. Yosemite runs pretty smooth, the smoothest OS I have ever used, but then again I have only used Windows before.

I have set Xee as default image viewer (positive reviews from this Forum) and use VLC for playing my music/vids. In fact I want to know if there is any way I can disable iTunes;because sometimes it opens up by itself if I use the play/pause key while listening to music on VLC. As mentioned earlier, I use Chrome for browsing so not really using any standard Apple apps on the MBP.

But I am still new to the MBP, for instance I just learned recently (and implemented) the Dark mode for Yosemite (very smooth btw) and just today I changed the system Font to Lucida Grande.

I am reading/learning from threads posted in 2014 on this Forum regarding Yosemite lol.

Is there any way to increase Font size? And has there been any new Fonts? (other than Lucida Grande?)

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: tigerandyx9

tigerandyx9

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
London, UK
Hi All,

I feel comfortable using Yosemite; its the only OS X I have used, being a former (life long)windows user.

I have not yet considered updating to any other OS X, even though I have read on this Forum that my MBP will support HS.

Also looking forward to hear about lil details about Yosemite that you find better suited to your needs.

TIA.
Hi All,

TIA.
I'm also using Yosemite. I find it super stable and everything runs.
This month I tried using HS but found problems with volume directories and incompatibility with other volumes running Yosemite and Mavericks.
Since I'd made several cloned backups, Super-duper, I went back and erased HS. I've a Macbook Air 13" 2014 w 500GB SSD.
Next will be erasing everything, reformatting and doing a clean install of Yosemite in two of the volumes.
[doublepost=1524417544][/doublepost]Btw, I've kept usb thumb drive copies of Yosemite and Mavericks which combined with usb thumbs of key utilities, Disk Warrior and Techtool ++, let me fix most situations I encounter.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
I'm also using Yosemite. I find it super stable and everything runs.
This month I tried using HS but found problems with volume directories and incompatibility with other volumes running Yosemite and Mavericks.
Since I'd made several cloned backups, Super-duper, I went back and erased HS. I've a Macbook Air 13" 2014 w 500GB SSD.
Next will be erasing everything, reformatting and doing a clean install of Yosemite in two of the volumes.
[doublepost=1524417544][/doublepost]Btw, I've kept usb thumb drive copies of Yosemite and Mavericks which combined with usb thumbs of key utilities, Disk Warrior and Techtool ++, let me fix most situations I encounter.

Thank you for your feedback tigerandyx9.

I wanted to ask you what you meant by "and doing a clean install of Yosemite in two of the volumes."

Is reformatting necessary/recommended? What are the Pros/Cons?

I plan to do a fresh install of Yosemite and your advice would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

tigerandyx9

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
London, UK
Thank you for your feedback tigerandyx9.

I wanted to ask you what you meant by "and doing a clean install of Yosemite in two of the volumes."

Is reformatting necessary/recommended? What are the Pros/Cons?

I plan to do a fresh install of Yosemite and your advice would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

I've always had my drives formatted into at least two volumes, often three. The first for the core business, apps, data etc. The second, without a system, for intermittent opportune selective backups of key data, and the third one with a system to use in emergencies when the main one fails, with key utilities and no data. Therefore i can respond very fast and thoroughly to failures. I buy the HDs and SSDs with this space in mind.

During this last few months, and with the attempt to live with HS, my volume directory has developed two ghost partitions which i cannot eliminate without reformatting. Plus after several years my SSD has quite a bit of digital dust so i feel it's time to do some needed maintenance and rethink my data needs for the next few years.

I've gotten more into photography and graphics as I'm travelling thru Europe on a scooter, taking a lot of pictures and eventually making comic strips to let my family and friends know about my adventures!
Quite different from the time and needs when working for oil companies. At one time i also was the technical guy for the computers used in process control in refineries. Jejeje, yes, very different!

That's the Pro. The Con is that it's quite laborious, boring and time consuming, making sure that you have enough backups, at least four in my case. Recovering/caring for my data is more important that the £40-70 spent in the additional drives.

Hope this helps. Cheers and good luck

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
I've always had my drives formatted into at least two volumes, often three. The first for the core business, apps, data etc. The second, without a system, for intermittent opportune selective backups of key data, and the third one with a system to use in emergencies when the main one fails, with key utilities and no data. Therefore i can respond very fast and thoroughly to failures. I buy the HDs and SSDs with this space in mind.

During this last few months, and with the attempt to live with HS, my volume directory has developed two ghost partitions which i cannot eliminate without reformatting. Plus after several years my SSD has quite a bit of digital dust so i feel it's time to do some needed maintenance and rethink my data needs for the next few years.

I've gotten more into photography and graphics as I'm travelling thru Europe on a scooter, taking a lot of pictures and eventually making comic strips to let my family and friends know about my adventures!
Quite different from the time and needs when working for oil companies. At one time i also was the technical guy for the computers used in process control in refineries. Jejeje, yes, very different!

That's the Pro. The Con is that it's quite laborious, boring and time consuming, making sure that you have enough backups, at least four in my case. Recovering/caring for my data is more important that the £40-70 spent in the additional drives.

Hope this helps. Cheers and good luck

Thanks tigerandyx9 :)

It seems your usage is much more intensive than mine and I think it is good you are taking a prudent approach to back up/restoring your system.

My MBP is has a relatively new SSD (since Mid 2016) so I might not benefit from a reformat that much.

I will definitely go for a reinstall of Yosemite and will update the thread once done.

Thanks again.

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
Hi All,

TIA.

I am using Yosemite 10.10.5 on iMac 21.5" late 2009 with 4GB moemory 1067 MHz DDR3. At Apple's prompting (via App Store and being a loyal OS X devotee), I trustingly updated to El Capitan and instantly regretted my gullibility (i.e. unswerving faith in Apple and its marketed devotion to user 'ease of use'). Several irreplaceable non Apple software WOULD NO LONGER WORK! An example is "MPEG Streamclip", a uniquely versatile, open source video manipulation software for which there is NO COMMERCIAL EQUIVALENT! Additionally, such universal graphics programs as Photoshop Elements (Ver. 8) were so severely mutilated in functionalality as to be UNUSABLE! All this pain and expense to use the formally reliable and trusted, "user friendly" OS X 10.11.x and later. I don’t think so!

My faith in Apple was, and remains, shaken to its core! Apple, give your faithful supporters options to use older OS X versions on their Macintosh platforms, IF THEY NEED TO DO SO! Do not dictate usage paramitres in the ARROGANT way that Microsoft does! The entire appeal of Apple, its OS X format and compatibility WILL BE LOST FOREVER!

I am using Yosemite 10.10.5 on iMac 21.5" late 2009 with 4GB moemory 1067 MHz DDR3. At Apple's prompting (via App Store and being a loyal OS X devotee), I updated to El Capitan and instantly regretted my gullibility (i.e. unswerving faith in Apple and its devotion to user 'ease of use'). Several irreplaceable non Apple software WOULD NO LONGER WORK! An example is MPEG Streamclip, a uniquely versatile, open source video manipulation software for which there is NO COMMERCIAL EQUIVALENT! Additionally, such universal graphics programs as Photoshop Elements (Ver. 8) were so severely mutilated in functionalality as to be UNUSABLE! All this pain to use the formally reliable and trusted, user friendly OS X 10.11.x (and later) - I don’t think so!

My faith in Apple was and remains shaken to its core! Apple, GIVE your faithful supporters options to use older OS X versions IF THEY NEED TO DO SO! Do not dictate OS usage parameters as does Microsoft!

The entire appeal of Apple, its ethos, its OS X format and usability/compatibility WILL BE LOST FOREVER!

I recently purchased a new 2017 iMac 21.5", 2.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, 8GB memory running OS X 10.13.6.

I partitioned the Mac HD so I could clean install Yosemite onto that partition but the ‘ever friendly' Apple Mac OS X displayed a window "That version of OS X cannot be installed on this iMac. It is too old." Apple Inc. is morphing into a Microsoft clone! “CANNOT” is from the Microsoft vocabulary, surely!

I recognise (in principle) that the additional security features inherent in newer OS X versions might be desirable/essential for some high end Mac users: ALL Mac users should be given the opportunity to choose to utilise those features OR NOT, as their software installation installations DEMAND! The money we spend to purchase Apple products is as good as theirs!

As to details about using Yosemite that I prefer, the compatibility of that OS X version with reliable, long serving, completely effective, non Apple software is a deciding factor for me.

In El Capitan, even the task of renaming a sequence of downloaded screen shots (onto the “Desktop" becomes an endless ordeal.
In the "Desktop" window, click on file "Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.38.55 am” name tag, for example,
enter new file name (e.g. "Adam's Birthday01"),
click once on the next file in "Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at xx.xx.xx" in sequence to be renamed, BEFORE clicking ‘return'
Click "return"
El Capitan forces the cursor onto the just renamed file title bar (e.g. "Adam's Birthday01")
thus NECESSITATING you locating the next file in "Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at xx.xx.xx" sequence - wherever it is located in the "Desktop" window.
Extremely frustrating and UTTERLY POINTLESS, APPLE!

I have only read your post today, “MBP_187", and hope my very belated post is helpful.

P.S. A free, open source, comprehensive alternative to Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) is available at <Apache OpenOffice download | SourceForge.net>. Download ONLY from that official <SourceForge.net> site because other sites may contain hidden adware etc. in the downloads their site provide.
With Apache OpenOffice, here are NO hidden charges, limited licence fees involved: nothing but free, unlimited use of this completely free, fully compatible "MS Office" style software. Further, there are free Apache OpenOffice users forums available via email to advise you with any issues you may encounter. I am a subscriber and have had courteous and detailed advice from fellow AOO users worldwide, whenever I needed it. All free, of course.

All Microsoft Office files will open in AOO. The files that you create or manipulate/update in AOO can be saved in Microsoft readable format, if you so desire.

I hope this helps.

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015

I also need to run Yosemite for operability compatibility with non Apple software. Because I had blindly followed Apple's indtidtant prompting (via repeated App Store window prompts), I was afflicted by El Capitan and its mutilation of non Apple software functionality. Before I then had El Capitan as the active operating system, App Store 'purchased' list no longer displayed Yosemite as a download/install option.

After much searching online to source a "Install Yosemite" installer program, I eventually was able to clean reinstall Yosemite. Here is a very useful link from those searches <https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/48498/os-x-yosemite> .

The Google search link is <how to download OS X 10.10 Yosemite installer om Mac> showing various listings to achieve download of the "Install Yosemite" installer. I hope this is helpful.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
[QUOTE="
I recently purchased a new 2017 iMac 21.5", 2.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, 8GB memory running OS X 10.13.6.

I partitioned the Mac HD so I could clean install Yosemite onto that partition but the ‘ever friendly' Apple Mac OS X displayed a window "That version of OS X cannot be installed on this iMac. It is too old." Apple Inc. is morphing into a Microsoft clone! “CANNOT” is from the Microsoft vocabulary, surely!

This is interesting news; so 2017 iMac can't run Yosemite?

As to details about using Yosemite that I prefer, the compatibility of that OS X version with reliable, long serving, completely effective, non Apple software is a deciding factor for me.

This seems to be case for most of the people that have replied to the thread.

I have only read your post today, “MBP_187", and hope my very belated post is helpful.

I definitely appreciate your feedback, helps me learn.

P.S. A free, open source, comprehensive alternative to Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) is available at <Apache OpenOffice download | SourceForge.net>. Download ONLY from that official <SourceForge.net> site because other sites may contain hidden adware etc. in the downloads their site provide.
With Apache OpenOffice, here are NO hidden charges, limited licence fees involved: nothing but free, unlimited use of this completely free, fully compatible "MS Office" style software. Further, there are free Apache OpenOffice users forums available via email to advise you with any issues you may encounter. I am a subscriber and have had courteous and detailed advice from fellow AOO users worldwide, whenever I needed it. All free, of course.

All Microsoft Office files will open in AOO. The files that you create or manipulate/update in AOO can be saved in Microsoft readable format, if you so desire.

I hope this helps. [/QUOTE]

This is *very* helpful. I use MS Office extensively for work and am currently using Office for Mac, and am not completely satisfied to be honest. I will check out AOO, thanks again PaulRanger2

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
No. 2017 iMacs cannot run Yosemite. The latest iMacs that can run Yosemite are from 2014 and 2015, although most 2015 models cannot run Yosemite either.

I suggest you start looking for new versions of your software, because Yosemite is no longer being updated.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I partitioned the Mac HD so I could clean install Yosemite onto that partition but the ‘ever friendly' Apple Mac OS X displayed a window "That version of OS X cannot be installed on this iMac. It is too old." Apple Inc. is morphing into a Microsoft clone!
This is the way Macs have worked since the beginning, in the 1980s and it has nothing to do with how Microsoft does things. You cannot install a version of operating system older than what was available when that exact model of computer was first released. Microsoft has much better compatibility with older operating systems but even they are changing that practice to make a more stable and modern operating system.

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
No. 2017 iMacs cannot run Yosemite. The latest iMacs that can run Yosemite are from 2014 and 2015, although most 2015 models cannot run Yosemite either.

I suggest you start looking for new versions of your software, because Yosemite is no longer being updated.
Thank you EugW. I understand your point however the creators of MPEGStreamclip made no longer update that software.

Given that the software was always open source and therefore completely free, it is understandable that they (and, I suspect, countless other non commercial software creators) are no longer willing to endlessly continue to update their software to run on ever forthcoming OS X updates. Apple is becoming ever more Microsoft like to the chagrin and betrayal of loyal Mac users globally.

With regards to MPEGStreamclip, it is unique in its wide range of video manipulation tools AND there is NO commercial alternative that I could purchase. Thanks Apple!

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
[QUOTE="

This is interesting news; so 2017 iMac can't run Yosemite?

This seems to be case for most of the people that have replied to the thread.

I definitely appreciate your feedback, helps me learn.

I hope this helps.

This is *very* helpful. I use MS Office extensively for work and am currently using Office for Mac, and am not completely satisfied to be honest. I will check out AOO, thanks again PaulRanger2[/QUOTE]
Thanks MBP_187,

I am continuing to use various methods to install Yosemite onto the new partition I created on the new iMac. Here are details of some of my attempts.

• Using my old (and currently active) system 10.10.5 on my late 2009 iMac, I copied the 2 Yosemite installer dmg files (OS X Yosemite [MAS].dmg - 5.19GB) and the updater file (osxupd10.10.5 - 1.02GB) from an external (to old iMac) HD onto another 32GB external mini HD.

• I then inserted that 32GB HD into the new iMac and opened its window on the desktop. I opened OS X Yosemite [MAS].dmg by double clicking icon. An installation window opened with the OS X Yosemite icon to the left of the "Applications" icon.

• A window opened on the desktop saying "This copy of the "Install OS X application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X."

When I connect the old and new iMac to migrate data, I will try to run the installer from the 32GB HD attached to the (old) Mac HD. One thing that appears to have changed. Affter double clicking the installer icon, a window used open where you could select which attached HD you wanted to install on. That window no longer appears - just the "MS Windows" like 'file cannot be opened' window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.