Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am continuing to use various methods to install Yosemite onto the new partition I created on the new iMac. Here are details of some of my attempts.
There is no way whatsoever to run the Yosemite installer on your new iMac. It's a fool's errand to continue trying.

Reactions: MBP_187

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
There is no way whatsoever to run the Yosemite installer on your new iMac. It's a fool's errand to continue trying.
Thank you chrfr for your concise advice. I will desist henceforth.

With his responding post here noting "This is interesting news; so 2017 iMac can't run Yosemite?", MBP_187 may also find your comments interesting.

Reactions: MBP_187

oldschoolmac52

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2019
I wish I could run Yosemite. I have a 15" 2015 MacBook Pro, so it could run it but it came with El Captain and I don't have the ability to download Yosemite because it was not available for download from the App Store when I got my MBP. I want it because I use my MBP for DJing and Yosemite is the most stable OS release for working with my DJ Software.

A clean install never hurts, but if you just end up restoring from Time Machine after the clean install then it might not be as good.

You can take your MBP to your local Apple store and they will load any OS you like, I've cleaned up my MBP and taken it in, they can load Yosemite in minutes, works great. BTW I also have a 2015 MBP.

Reactions: tigerandyx9

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I still use Yosemite on one SSD on one MacPro because I use iMacMailer - a bulk mail application, that is not compatible with a higher system. And I have no Wifi on High Sierra, I bought a wrong Airport card on ebay.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Sometimes the legit reason to run/stick with older OS's is because the develops no longer udates/provides compatible versions for newer ones.

also, you may not always like the alternatives either..

If it's counted, I run Yosemite in Virtual machines sometimes. I can do as far back as Lion if i choose.

Rick S

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
Hi All,

I'm using Yosemite on my MBP : 13',late 2011, 2.4GHz i5.

I am a light user; browsing, word, excel, music etc.

I feel comfortable using Yosemite; its the only OS X I have used, being a former (life long)windows user.

I have not yet considered updating to any other OS X, even though I have read on this Forum that my MBP will support HS.

I am considering a 'clean install' of Yosemite, just to refresh the MBP a bit.

Who else is using Yosemite in 2018?

I am curious about the reasons.

Also looking forward to hear about lil details about Yosemite that you find better suited to your needs.

TIA.
I'm using Yosemite and have been for a long time, I too have a MBP 13" but early 2011 and also a 13" early 2015. I learned you can take your MBP to the Apple store and they will install any OS you like. I have wiped my MBP a few times and had a fresh copy installed.
[automerge]1570631738[/automerge]
I wish I could run Yosemite. I have a 15" 2015 MacBook Pro, so it could run it but it came with El Captain and I don't have the ability to download Yosemite because it was not available for download from the App Store when I got my MBP. I want it because I use my MBP for DJing and Yosemite is the most stable OS release for working with my DJ Software.

A clean install never hurts, but if you just end up restoring from Time Machine after the clean install then it might not be as good.
You can take your MBP to the Apple Store and they will install any OS you like.

gigas65

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Salonica, Greece

If you still want to get yosemite installer and then make a bootable usb installer, you can still download it from Apple support, here:

https://support.apple.com/el-gr/HT210717 and go to #

and then to https://www.lifewire.com/make-a-bootable-usb-drive-of-yosemite-installer-2259931

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.