Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Initially it took some work as ppc wasn't fully supported as they hardcoded in sse2 requirements. After awhile patches were submitted by others (the PM guys dont like me) and accepted. Now UXP based software builds out of the box. The only issue left is ICU endianess is wrong and that file needs to be manually replaced with the proper one before running or packaging. Instructions for doing this are on my github in the uxp4ppc tree.

Cheers

Last edited:

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
Initially it took some work as ppc wasn't fully supported as they hardcoded in sse2 requirements. After awhile patches were submitted by others (the PM guys dont like me) and accepted. Now UXP based software builds out of the box. The only issue left is ICU endianess is wrong and that file needs to be manually replaced with the proper one before running or packaging. Instructions for doing this are on my github in the uxp4ppc tree.

Cheers
Very nice. Do you have a full writeup anywhere of your build environment and process under Linux? Which machines do you use? Which OS? I'd love to duplicate the process and work on a continuous delivery system I've been thinking up.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
First look here. This gives you the basics needed to build. Also follow the debian instructions near the middle of the page. I build all the 32bit builds on Ubuntu 12.04 remix with gcc-4.9 for greater compatibility with multiple PPC Linux distros. Building on 12.04 allows these browsers to run on ubuntu 12/14/16, debian 8/10/sid (including debian based fienix/mintppc), void32-ppc, gentoo, crux-ppc, etc. Build machines vary. I've used as little as a 1.5ghz macmini G4 w/1gb ram (and 2gb swap), powerbook G4 1.67ghz w/2gb ram (1gb swap), single cpu 1.6ghz G5 w/4gb ram, and my dual 2ghz G5 w/4gb ram. The void 64bit builds are strictly built on the G5's though obviously. ;)

Cheers

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
First look here. This gives you the basics needed to build. Also follow the debian instructions near the middle of the page. I build all the 32bit builds on Ubuntu 12.04 remix with gcc-4.9 for greater compatibility with multiple PPC Linux distros. Building on 12.04 allows these browsers to run on ubuntu 12/14/16, debian 8/10/sid (including debian based fienix/mintppc), void32-ppc, gentoo, crux-ppc, etc. Build machines vary. I've used as little as a 1.5ghz macmini G4 w/1gb ram (and 2gb swap), powerbook G4 1.67ghz w/2gb ram (1gb swap), single cpu 1.6ghz G5 w/4gb ram, and my dual 2ghz G5 w/4gb ram. The void 64bit builds are strictly built on the G5's though obviously. ;)

Cheers
Thank you! So this is for UXP. I'll give it a try.

What about for other projects like Interweb and Spiderweb?

Thank you again for all the work you do to keep PowerPCs going on the web!

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
The 10.6 versions of IW/SW are closer to the TFF build process. You'll need xcode and macports clang. Pretty straight forward after that. Basically follow the arcticfox build instructions linked on its github index page.

Cheers

Last edited:

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
The 10.6 versions of IW/SW are closer to the TFF build process. You'll need xcode and macports clang. Pretty straight forward after that. Basically follow the arcticfox build instructions linked on its github index page.

Cheers
Thanks for that info as well. I was specifically asking about the Linux versions of Interweb and Spiderweb.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ah, gotcha. I haven't updated it in awhile, but you can grab the source archive which contains spiderweb/interweb/spidermail and i believe faded orb with a working UXP tree for ppc linux. Grab it here: https://github.com/wicknix/SpiderWeb/wiki/Download towards bottom of page (above seamonkey). Just follow the palemoon/uxp instructions i mentioned above. Then just ./mach build, then swap out the icu.dat file i mentioned above, and ./mach run to test, then ./mach package. Then extract the packaged archive and replace the icu.dat once more and repack.

Cheers

Reactions: pipetogrep

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Great news! ? Arctic Fox 27.12.0 is available. Downloads: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/releases

Kernel-5-14-0-final.png

Reactions: eastone

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Then i would say, probably not. While AF doesn't have the blue tint issue, it is based on an older firefox/palemoon. It more than likely lacks the updated code/codecs/javascript needed to play certain types of streams.

Cheers

AdelaideBen

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
Then i would say, probably not. While AF doesn't have the blue tint issue, it is based on an older firefox/palemoon. It more than likely lacks the updated code/codecs/javascript needed to play certain types of streams.

Cheers

Does Fienix have the same blue tint issue as Void?

Cheers

Ben

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
The blue tint i'm referring to happens only in videos, like youtube, in some browsers. Everything else displays fine color-wise. Try different browsers. FF Quantum i know has major color issues in Void 64bit and possibly Debian 64bit.

Cheers

Reactions: AdelaideBen

AdelaideBen

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
The blue tint i'm referring to happens only in videos, like youtube, in some browsers. Everything else displays fine color-wise. Try different browsers. FF Quantum i know has major color issues in Void 64bit and possibly Debian 64bit.

Cheers

Thanks!

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019

Cheers
Sad to hear that...

On the bright side, I noticed that "Video DownloadHelper" plugin can be installed also in PaleMoon derivarives! But there is quite a bunch of versions. What is the latest one which works with your browsers? I tested 6.3.1 which works also with FF 47.

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Does Fienix have the same blue tint issue as Void?

It is depends on the browser, not on the distro. In Fienix Soar ( the current version) only ArcticFox shows videos without that "blue tint". In the first version of Fienix it was also possible to use Firefox 47 which also shows colors correctly. But it is otherwise very old and has other problems with many sites.

The best way to run streams in Fienix is to use VLC or Mplayer, which do not have color issues. But then you need to use ViewTube(+) or some other helper to get the address of streams in a form that is accepted by players.

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
Hello,

is there one good browser for Debian 7 next to Iceweasel 31? Tried to compile Firefox 45 sometime ago but lost the thread ... really would like continue using it (Debian 7) for some time, but Iceweasel 31 is becoming limiting factor. Upgrading to Jessie or higher is no option for me at the moment, as i tried this in the past and never had good, consistent results.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Irontooth

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2021
WNY
is there one good browser for Debian 7 next to Iceweasel 31? Tried to compile Firefox 45 sometime ago but lost the thread ... really would like continue using it (Debian 7) for some time, but Iceweasel 31 is becoming limiting factor. Upgrading to Jessie or higher is no option for me at the moment, as i tried this in the past and never had good, consistent results.
You can get Arcticfox working in Wheezy!

1) Make a copy of your sources.list, and change all instances from wheezy to jessie.
2) Copy that list as root into the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d and then sudo apt-get update (DON'T upgrade!).
3) You need gcc-4.8 and g++-4.8 - it's easier to see what's going on if you do this in Synaptic, but you are _adding_ packages, not upgrading. Apparently debian can have several versions of these installed without breakage. You may find that gcc-4.8 will automatically bring in g++-4.8 (or was it the other way around?).
4) Again as root, delete the list you put in /etc/apt/sources.list.d and again sudo apt-get update so you don't accidentally break anything.

Once you've retrieved these packages, Arcticfox should run, but you may have to go into its preferences and set up custom fonts, or you could have some web pages with no text.

I hadn't tested prior to doing this update, but I also now can run Seamonkey, with the same font issue. Download from this page: https://github.com/wicknix/SpiderWeb/wiki/Download

I don't _think_ this fix works for FadedOrb, SpiderWeb or InterWeb, as there's a different error when they have failed to launch in Wheezy. However, all hope is not lost. I have been (judiciously) updating a few packages (e.g. - LXDE components) from the Jessie repositories, and must have accidently updated a library that 'fixes' those browsers as well. I now have these working as well.

- Don

• Love
Reactions: mrkapqa

Irontooth

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2021
WNY
When launching FadedOrb from terminal in Debian 7 (Wheezy), I was getting this error:

don@pismo:~$ /usr/lib/fadedorb/fadedorb
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/fadedorb/libxul.so:
libffi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

I can't be certain at this point, but I'm pretty sure that this was after I had already done the gcc-4.8 update I described in my previous post. As I said, I have been doing some selected updates from the Debian 8 (Jessie) repositories, so I must have downloaded/upgraded something that allows FadedOrb/SpiderWeb/InterWeb to work in Wheezy.

Thoughts?

Posted using FadedOrb 28.2021.02 in Debian 7 using a Powerbook G3 Firewire (a.k.a. Pismo)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.