Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It's amazing how a company can delete a game that you paid for and that is currently running well.

Note = CS GO was transitioned to a free to play game but many people originally paid for the game or currently paid (up to this week) for a special version.

Reactions: MRMSFC and Irishman

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
28 GB and a missing executable is an interesting way to start a game launch.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 01.26.15.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 01.26.15.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 154

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
It's amazing how a company can delete a game that you paid for and that is currently running well.

Note = CS GO was transitioned to a free to play game but many people originally paid for the game or currently paid (up to this week) for a special version.

CS GO is gone and won’t be supported by Valve anymore. It’s been replaced by CS 2, using the Source 2 engine.

How do you know your Mac doesn’t support it?

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
CS GO is gone and won’t be supported by Valve anymore. It’s been replaced by CS 2, using the Source 2 engine.

How do you know your Mac doesn’t support it?

Mac support was silently pulled without warning. The Steam Page now lists only support for Windows and Linux.

The Steam forums and Counter Strike subreddit are full of angry Mac users right now, among other issues as half the game is currently missing.

Valve has yet to make any statement about this, other than vague replies from customer support saying they don't know if/when Mac support will be restored.

This wouldn't be a problem if CSGO was still available so Mac users could still play the game they bought and paid for and spent hundreds on skins, but they can't.

UPDATE: As of yesterday, CSGO has been restored. It is now accessible from the beta branch selection in game properties. If you download CS2 on Mac the game will automatically default to CSGO now. Official matchmaking has been turned off though so you are limited to local LAN and community servers, or offline with bots

Last edited:

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
I’m curious to see if/when Mac support is added if Valve makes a big deal out of it.

Like it’s something to celebrate as if they didn’t take it away in the first place.

Reactions: Irishman

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Someone on Reddit came to the rescue again. CSGO is still accessible, however you will only be playing with bots as matchmaking has been turned off

IMG_9910.jpeg

Reactions: Plutonius

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Mac support was silently pulled without warning. The Steam Page now lists only support for Windows and Linux.

The Steam forums and Counter Strike subreddit are full of angry Mac users right now, among other issues as half the game is currently missing.

Valve has yet to make any statement about this, other than vague replies from customer support saying they don't know if/when Mac support will be restored.

This wouldn't be a problem if CSGO was still available so Mac users could still play the game they bought and paid for and spent hundreds on skins, but they can't.

Wasn't it you who had made us aware here that not only was CS 2 coming this summer, but that it was coming to the Mac as well?? Pulled without warning? Really?

Are you really shocked that CSGO is gone for everyone? Not only on Mac, but Linux and Windows, too.

Are you aware of the patch to CS 2 from today? The 521.83 MB one?!

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Well, that’s your first mistake. Mac OS doesn’t natively use .exe files.

Maybe I’m missing something.

Did you actually launch and run the game on macOS?

Counter Strike 2 is downloadable on Mac, but not playable. Officially the Steam page does not list macOS as supported.

When you try to launch CS2 on macOS it says missing executable, as Steam may have pulled the Windows version of the game since there's no Mac version to download. The forums are full of people questioning this.

So I ask again: Did you actually launch the game and get to the main menu? Or did you just download it but not press the play button?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Did you actually launch and run the game on macOS?

Counter Strike 2 is downloadable on Mac, but not playable. Officially the Steam page does not list macOS as supported.

When you try to launch CS2 on macOS it says missing executable, as Steam may have pulled the Windows version of the game since there's no Mac version to download. The forums are full of people questioning this.

So I ask again: Did you actually launch the game and get to the main menu? Or did you just download it but not press the play button?

Ah, you guys were right! I was wrong. It turns that when I was updating GeForce Now, I noticed the thumbnail for Counter Strike 2, and excitedly switched over to Steam to see what was up. It wasn’t started updating yet, so I clicked to get it going. GFN finished first, and then I launched it to see how it played.

Sorry. I just assumed that it wouldn’t launch for me because my Mac is old and unsupported (2012 iMac), and expected gamers with M1 or newer hardware to have much better luck than I did.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Sorry. I just assumed that it wouldn’t launch for me because my Mac is old and unsupported (2012 iMac), and expected gamers with M1 or newer hardware to have much better luck than I did.

If you have bootcamp on your old iMac, it might actually run although very poorly.

People using Crossover or Parallels have had no success on their M1.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
A Mac depot has been updated yesterday, so the Mac version is being worked on.
My bet is that the Mac version has been delayed and Valve didn't bother. Since they wanted to remove CS:GO from all computers as servers are no longer maintained, they included Macs in the upgrade.
At some point, and update will make the game run on Macs and Valve will just add the Apple logo to the store page, without further notification.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
A Mac depot has been updated yesterday, so the Mac version is being worked on.
My bet is that the Mac version has been delayed and Valve didn't bother. Since they wanted to remove CS:GO from all computers as servers are no longer maintained, they included Macs in the upgrade.
At some point, and update will make the game run on Macs and Valve will just add the Apple logo to the store page, without further notification.

People are hoping that is the case but Valve's silence about the issue is troubling.

I myself believe that they haven't decided if they will support Macs on CS2 and, if they do, when it will be.

With all the complaints and work remaining on the Windows CS 2, who knows how long and if they will even do a version for Macs.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
People are hoping that is the case but Valve's silence about the issue is troubling.
If they had no plan to make a Mac version, I suppose they'd say it outright. To me, their silence means that they consider that Mac users can just wait a bit. Mac gamers aren't numerous enough to warrant some official statement, especially if they don't know when the game will be ready.

Last edited:

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I am just waiting to see what my friends who still play world of warcraft will do should Blizzard choose to no longer support the platform.

I am still waiting PDX to take an official stance and given up on Firaxis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.