Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
What are you all on about with this “private company” talk? Apple is the most visible public company in the world... ?‍♂️
As far as the 1st amendment is concerned there isn’t a difference. Private company is shorthand to me.

Reactions: TiggrToo

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
That said, it's one thing not to endorse a company based on competitive reasons. It's another to do so based on ethical concerns- smoking/vaping is a pretty justifiable reason.

I think the debate is not so much "yay, vaping!" as, "why vaping and not tobacco or alcohol?" (somebody helpfully posted some examples earlier) - which would actually be easier to justify (there's a genuine concern about the dangers of vaping, but the dangers of alcohol and tobacco are far better proven - the latter being a large part of some peoples' case for vaping). That inconsistency makes people suspect that the "ethical" reasons are being used as am umbrella for something rather more self-interested.

As I've said in another post, my guess is that the lawyers may have spotted an argument that would make the iPhone part of the "paraphernalia" of vaping - or some other specific aspects of vaping apps that risks making Apple partially liable (but that's just speculation). If so, that would be a perfectly valid reason - it just wouldn't sound quite so virtuous.

When massive retailers decide to stop selling tobacco products no one accused them of anti-trust violations.

True. However, a bit of googling will soon show up plenty of other concerns about the power of large retailers to distort the market. Also: Walmart don't sell wFridges that only accept groceries bought at Walmart (we all know that Amazon will beat them to that) - the digital world offers degrees of anti-competitiveness unprecedented in meatspace.

To re-iterate: if Apple have banned vaping apps, as far as I'm concerned, nothing of value has been lost. The issue is whether Apple should be able to choose what you can do with your iPhone (esp. when the only realistc market choice is Apple vs. Google).

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Thank you Apple for taking care of me. I am so dumb I cannot do it myself. So please tell me when you are going to ban map apps so i don't get my silly self run over when I'm looking at my phone while crossing the road.
Yes....of course Apple can do whatever they want, it's a free world. At least that's what they want us to believe. But it's getting close to me moving away from the wonderful computer company I have been a fan of for over 30 years.
Damn your censorship and political interference Mr Apple.

Reactions: Rodan52

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Thank you Apple for taking care of me. I am so dumb I cannot do it myself. So please tell me when you are going to ban map apps so i don't get my silly self run over when I'm looking at my phone while crossing the road.
Yes....of course Apple can do whatever they want, it's a free world. At least that's what they want us to believe. But it's getting close to me moving away from the wonderful computer company I have been a fan of for over 30 years.
Damn your censorship and political interference Mr Apple.

Using Apple maps in your argument is a classic case of false equivalence.

You can argue than if you misuse anything then it can have deadly affects.

Vaping, fun the outset, has always had a dubious reputation in regards to health. If Apple feel they don't want to be associated with this industry then it's their call.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Really! It was sarcasm. And yes....misuse many things at ones peril. I also said it was Apple's call or did you not really read my post? Apple can do what the hell they want...and so can I. That includes not buying from them.

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
I would not care if vaping had no impact on other people (especially on children, sick people, ...).
But it does, and on a wider range than vaping people think.

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Like others I just dont think its up to apple to make a decision on this
Using Apple maps in your argument is a classic case of false equivalence.

You can argue than if you misuse anything then it can have deadly affects.

Vaping, fun the outset, has always had a dubious reputation in regards to health. If Apple feel they don't want to be associated with this industry then it's their call.

Like others I simply don't think it was up to Apple to make a decision on this. Vaping was never touted as "safe" or harmless. From the start it was about harm minimisation. Vaping was seen to be a safer alternative to smoking cigarettes while fulfilling the same social, physical and psychological needs of long term smokers. The idea was to allow slow withdrawal from nicotine by reducing content while maintaining all of the other aspects of smoking. At the very least one could maintain their nicotine intake with a much reduced exposure to carcinogens and a host of other nasty chemicals. Of course that was not what happened. Vaping became glamorised as an activity in it's own right. In an entirely predictable way the manufacturers of vaping products began promoting their products to non smokers and naturally that attracted young people as well. For some the more technical the devices became the more appealing they were so naturally the industry accommodated that.
I must admit I have a personal stake in this argument, as a smoker for 40+ years I gave up cigarettes 2 years ago in favour of vaping. I add nicotine to my chosen "juice" at the rate of 12mg/100ml and my doctor confirms that my oxygen sats are now normal, my carbon monoxide levels are normal, my exercise endurance has increased, I have no cough, I seldom if ever get chest colds, I don't smell like an ashtray, my skin is clearer etc etc. This was the promised outcome and it has come true for me and others I know.
So I can say that I'm not interested in having a vaping app myself, I can understand why others might but for Apple to remove vaping apps just looks like a sales pitch to promote Apple's image as being socially responsible in some way by taking a knee jerk reaction to a few bogus products. If they truely wanted to do that they would need to remove their multitude of cigar, wine, beer and spirits apps from the store as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.