Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Traded two phones at Costco/Verizon (he said he was a Verizon employee) and got thoroughly ripped off.

Prior bill was $128/month for 2 phones and an iPad. After trade I was told to expect a $34/month increase. The bill came in two weeks later: $280/month! A $152/month increase.

Tried "chat" and when that didn't go anywhere, went to the Verizon company store where the employee told me he agreed I had been lied to and defrauded but there wasn't anything he could (or would) do about it.

To add insult to injury when I tried to switch to T-Mobile, I found Verizon had locked the two new devices for 60 days, so I have to pay the exorbitant (fraudulent) monthly bill for two months before I can switch.

I plan to switch after the 60-day hostage situation is over.

I've also filed complaints with the BBB and the FCC and plan to file more with state and federal elder abuse commissions just because I have enough birthdays to do so.

Unbelievable but sad...

So BEWARE Verizon!

Tom

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I am curious if the new bill you are getting charged for 2 "new" phone activations which would be what like $35 each? I don't know about the remaining amount, but I have been with Verizon for several years and have not ran into a similar issue. This is with Verizon locations spread throughout the U.S.

Reactions: FHoff

Capt. Pat

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2006
Been with Verizon for a number of years and they are expensive and customer service is pretty poor -- when you can get connected to someone. It's time to replace my phone so I'm looking at other providers, Consumer Cellular seems to be a good choice.

Reactions: Chuckeee

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Will all new bills be this high, or just this one?
I ask, because when I buy new phones, the next bill is always high. It has the stupid $35 activation charge per new phone. The taxes paid on the new phone and usually doesn't have any bill credits applied from traded in phones.

Not defending Verizon here, but it usually takes 2 to 3 bills for everything to be applied and the bill to settle out.
Also, you can usually chat with Verizon and get he $35 activation charge per line credited back. Not sure if you will have luck with this since it was in-store....but just chat and ask to wave the $35 since I have my phones shipped to me and do all the work of activating and setting up the phone. I got no value for the $35 charge. They usually credit it back.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
If you paid by credit card you may be able to contest it and get your money back. At the very least it will get you attention. Also, I’m in Canada so depending where you live things may be different.

I believe they always make you have to sign an agreement with the terms set out in writing or pdf form. Did you sign this form without checking it out? Even if you didn’t check, see if you can contest the purchase and make a big stink about it!

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Traded two phones at Costco/Verizon (he said he was a Verizon employee) and got thoroughly ripped off.

Prior bill was $128/month for 2 phones and an iPad. After trade I was told to expect a $34/month increase. The bill came in two weeks later: $280/month! A $152/month increase.

Tried "chat" and when that didn't go anywhere, went to the Verizon company store where the employee told me he agreed I had been lied to and defrauded but there wasn't anything he could (or would) do about it.

To add insult to injury when I tried to switch to T-Mobile, I found Verizon had locked the two new devices for 60 days, so I have to pay the exorbitant (fraudulent) monthly bill for two months before I can switch.

I've also filed complaints with the BBB and the FCC and plan to file more with state and federal elder abuse commissions just because I have enough birthdays to do so.

Unbelievable but sad...

So BEWARE Verizon!

Tom

Pretty sure that’s “bait and switch” which has always been illegal.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
After reviewing the bill - to answer one question above - I wasn't able to find any "activation" fee. The bill is ten pages long so maybe I missed it?

I've had Verizon as a carrier for 15+ years. Sad that they pull this kind of ripoff. I had an illusion that paying them promptly for that long would engender a bit of consideration on their part. How stupid I am!

Verizon has pulled another stunt: they've locked the phones for 60 days. The result is I can't transfer to another carrier until the 60 days is up. Do I feel like a hostage? Not as bad as it could be, but it still gets them two months of payment at the new ridiculous rate. Ask me if I'll be happy to leave such a bunch of bandits...

Grrrrr,

Tom

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This isn't anything specific to Verizon. Every carrier pulls this to a different degree. It's possible that you've been lied to, however it's equally possible that you just did not understand what you were being told. I've been doing this for decades, and been burned pretty badly some times, so when I recently switched our family plan to Verizon, I made sure I understood every cent of our agreement, and had it in writing before I left the store. Fortunately I was able to work with a manager who understood everything very well, otherwise I would have been unlikely to make the switch.

As stated, when signing a new agreement, the first bill is often much higher, both due to activation fees, potentially taxes due on new devices, plus the fact that you are effectively paying a month in advance, so the first month's bill is generally near double a regular bill. Coincidentally, just about what you are seeing.

I would be 100% certain that YOU understand what you agreed to before taking Verizon to task.

chrisf60647

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010

Unbelievable but sad...

So BEWARE Verizon!

Tom
No issues with Verizon for me. I always go to the store (not the authorized retailers) or order online.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Switched to pre-paid via Verizon and smooth, far cheaper, sailing so far! Exact same plan details when from $85/mo to $50.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
After reviewing the bill - to answer one question above - I wasn't able to find any "activation" fee. The bill is ten pages long so maybe I missed it?

I've had Verizon as a carrier for 15+ years. Sad that they pull this kind of ripoff. I had an illusion that paying them promptly for that long would engender a bit of consideration on their part. How stupid I am!

Verizon has pulled another stunt: they've locked the phones for 60 days. The result is I can't transfer to another carrier until the 60 days is up. Do I feel like a hostage? Not as bad as it could be, but it still gets them two months of payment at the new ridiculous rate. Ask me if I'll be happy to leave such a bunch of bandits...

Grrrrr,

Tom
as much time you spent on posting here about this - read all 10 pages and see if there are any one-time charges in that bill.

If not, go back to Costco and tell them about it.

Also, it’s been quite a few years since I got a phone they VZ (I’ve been buying straight from Apple, no carrier), I seem to recall that you’re signing a contract that lists all the cost, incl what your new monthly bill will be like

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Loyalty means nothing to carriers…

This year my carrier dropped my data 5gig and wanted me to pay the same. I told them the competition has the original deal for the prevous price or cheaper. Retention said there was nothing they could do.

Cancelled and activated with the competition and no activation fee. Then the previous carrier called me up later wondering why I left.

Bottom line is loyalty means nothing and you shouldn’t need a lawyer to read the agreement. And I agree with the previous poster about the first bill being very high. So check out next month’s bill.

And remember that “bait and switch” is still illegal - people should record the transaction as it happens. Not admissible in court, but you ain’t going to court.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
zhenya,

If the contract was there to read, I'd probably be there a week later trying to read it. There was mention of the $34/mo increase - that was all.

I looked on the Verizon web site for future bill "estimates" however accurate or believable they may or may not be, and found their estimate to be $204/mo, still $42/mo higher than stated by the Verizon employee. Over the 36 month time period to pay off the phones I'd be paying $34 + $42 per month, totalling $2736 for the two phones instead of $1224 which was the price quoted. So a nice $1512 ripoff for Verizon; oh, and plus the $152 bump in the original month...

Sly is a socially acceptable way of putting this - I've already filed a "bait and switch" complaint with the FTC.

I plan to pay the first two months ransom and then ditch Verizon. Their company-owned store employee here agreed it was fraud and then refused to do anything about it. Lovely man.

Tom

Reactions: Fat_Guy

inquirerGeneral

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2022
I hate to say it but it sounds like you need a different customer service representative OR the person who told you what the bill would be either did not have access to see what the true Bill would be, or, they lied to you to make a sale .

However, you are responsible for signing the contract so you agreed to whatever it was if Verizon was accurate and it was the Costco fault.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

Unbelievable but sad...

So BEWARE Verizon!

Tom
Are you getting trade in deals? Usually Verizon trade in deals take 2-3 billing cycles before they kick in.

Assuming you got trade in deals and two phones… If you got both phones at $1,000 each plus two activation costs of $35 each, that would line up to be around $152 increase. Next month I would expect it to be about $82 increase and then once the trade in credits kick in then it should be around what you were quoted.

Verizon can also sometimes prorate bills. So you may be paying for the price increase for this month and the next month plus the device activation fees which would also line up to be around $152.

Honestly there’s not enough information in your post to really know for sure. But I’d keep trying to call Verizon and get somebody to explain to you exactly what’s going on.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I was at a local Verizon store the weekend the iPhones were first available and they had a sign that stated since the inventory was very limited customers would have to purchase $250 worth of accessories to walk out with a phone. If you didn't want to do that you would have to order online and wait for the device to be delivered. I found that a little ridiculous and was happy I purchased directly from Apple unlocked in-store..

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I was at a local Verizon store the weekend the iPhones were first available and they had a sign that stated since the inventory was very limited customers would have to purchase $250 worth of accessories to walk out with a phone. If you didn't want to do that you would have to order online and wait for the device to be delivered. I found that a little ridiculous and was happy I purchased directly from Apple unlocked in-store..

I’m assuming they can’t mark up the price due to demand, so they do that!

Last edited:

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Based on the following support article, I would have said "No problem!", selected $250 (OK, make it $300; no need to be a penny pincher!) of overpriced accessories, collected my brand new iPhone 15, and then immediately returned the accessories before leaving the store.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Based on the following support article, I would have said "No problem!", selected $250 (OK, make it $300; no need to be a penny pincher!) of overpriced accessories, collected my brand new iPhone 15, and then immediately returned the accessories before leaving the store.

I thought it seemed like an odd requirement. The rep said they only received 5 of each device and actually preferred people to purchase online because setting up devices took awhile and they are short staffed. I sat there for almost 2 hours waiting for a lady who purchased an iPhone 15 in-store decide which accessories to get and then transferring over everything from one phone to the next. Made me think of all the comments on this site about 98% of cell phone users have absolutely no idea how to use or setup there device except for the basics.

Reactions: dljeffery
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.