Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Traded two phones at Costco/Verizon (he said he was a Verizon employee) and got thoroughly ripped off.

Prior bill was $128/month for 2 phones and an iPad. After trade I was told to expect a $34/month increase. The bill came in two weeks later: $280/month! A $152/month increase.

Tried "chat" and when that didn't go anywhere, went to the Verizon company store where the employee told me he agreed I had been lied to and defrauded but there wasn't anything he could (or would) do about it.

To add insult to injury when I tried to switch to T-Mobile, I found Verizon had locked the two new devices for 60 days, so I have to pay the exorbitant (fraudulent) monthly bill for two months before I can switch.

I plan to switch after the 60-day hostage situation is over.

I've also filed complaints with the BBB and the FCC and plan to file more with state and federal elder abuse commissions just because I have enough birthdays to do so.

Unbelievable but sad...

So BEWARE Verizon!

Tom
I have never had any issues with Verizon. Lesson to learn from OP experience is to use Verizon company store to ensure all transactions are run as intended. In this posting, Costco Verizon staff (authorized seller? who is selling on behalf of Verizon?) was the one to blame, NOT entire Verizon company as the staff behavior is not necessarily a true picture of the entire Verizon company.
60 days lock on a carrier new phone is expected. No surprise there.
Good luck with TMobile!

Last edited:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I have never had any issues with Verizon. Lesson to learn from OP experience is to use Verizon company store to ensure all transactions are run as intended. In this posting, Costco Verizon staff (authorized seller? who is selling on behalf of Verizon?) was the one to blame, NOT entire Verizon company as the staff behavior is not necessarily a true picture of the entire Verizon company.

Yet, unless the ops says otherwise I must assume the contract is with Verizon, so it really does not matter. They let their products and services be sold there and the employee upfront said they were a Verizon employee.

True, one example should not taint the entire company so let’s see how “Verizon” the company deals with the OP going forward.

I did hang out with one of Verizon’s top executives back in 2015 as we were to give speeches at some important place. Nice person and all but that was eight years ago.

Actually, I should shut my trap and stay away from this thread in case I meet up with these people again!
🤣🤣🤣🤣😬😬😬

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
cobra521, unless I missed it, I don't see where you contacted Verizon customer service, "611"; they might be able to help you

Reactions: timeconsumer

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
1) Loyalty means nothing. Just because you pay your bill on time for X years doesn't entitle you to anything. I can't stand this attitude that so many people have.

2) You signed the contract. Period. It is 100% on the customer to read and understand. Granted, the employee was terrible and bait and switch is illegal. But if you can't be bothered to read 10 pages of an agreement you shouldn't sign it.

3) Never deal with authorized resellers. Ever. Buy unlocked or if you must, deal with a corporate carrier store.

Not excusing the rep / Costco here, OP should definitely return to the store and speak with a manager.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
Traded two phones at Costco/Verizon (he said he was a Verizon employee) and got thoroughly ripped off.

Prior bill was $128/month for 2 phones and an iPad. After trade I was told to expect a $34/month increase. The bill came in two weeks later: $280/month! A $152/month increase.

Tried "chat" and when that didn't go anywhere, went to the Verizon company store where the employee told me he agreed I had been lied to and defrauded but there wasn't anything he could (or would) do about it.

To add insult to injury when I tried to switch to T-Mobile, I found Verizon had locked the two new devices for 60 days, so I have to pay the exorbitant (fraudulent) monthly bill for two months before I can switch.

I plan to switch after the 60-day hostage situation is over.

I've also filed complaints with the BBB and the FCC and plan to file more with state and federal elder abuse commissions just because I have enough birthdays to do so.

Unbelievable but sad...

So BEWARE Verizon!

Tom
Exactly why I don’t do the carrier so called deals that can go wrong fast. Finance directly with Apple or buy out unlocked. No BS to deal with and especially no 60 day hostage crap.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Switched to pre-paid via Verizon and smooth, far cheaper, sailing so far! Exact same plan details when from $85/mo to $50.

My main line is T-mobile post paid. They used to have an excellent upgrade program years ago, but now it's just complete trash.

My second line is Verizon pre paid. One thing I like about their pre paid is after x amount of auto pay charges, they take $10 off the plan price.

I buy both my phones unlocked paid in full. iPhones for my main line, and Android phones for my second line. In the long run, I save more from trade ins vs stupid upgrade plans. And I also don't like anything carrier locked or branded.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Update just now: after a call from Verizon's "Executive Relations", my plan has miraculously returned to the original and the bill goes to $158/mo, right where I expected it.

Complaints to the FCC and BBB did seem to be a factor.

Hindsight says the commenters above who recommend buying the unlocked phones outright instead of upgrading seem to be spot on.

Education is never free...

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
60 days lock on a carrier new phone is expected. No surprise there.
Good luck with TMobile!

It is a bit of a reflection on Verizon that they let Authorized Resellers practice business with their name the way they do. They don’t care at all about you as a customer because they know when any problems come up, all the grievance is directed at the big name on the door and not at them.

It’s the same with all the big carriers. I have been lied to by practically every AT&T Authorized Retailer I’ve ever interacted with. To those guys all you are is a bag of cash for them to squeeze as hard as they can to ensure they get the biggest commission they can from whatever carrier they are representing. Selling you the phone is pretty small beans for them. Thus they slide in plan changes and “upgrades” and try to push crap accessories on you. 2/3 of people probably just accept it or when you get upset and file a BBB complaint, it’s against the carrier itself and not Tom’s Neighborhood Cellular Scam, LLC.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I never really had a quarrel with Verizon, until my employer discount went away. Paying full-price was a non-starter. I switched to T-Mobile and paying about half of what I did to Verizon.

pommephone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
Exactly why I don’t do the carrier so called deals that can go wrong fast. Finance directly with Apple or buy out unlocked. No BS to deal with and especially no 60 day hostage crap.
You can't finance with Apple unless you're purchasing with a carrier. Not all deals are bad. We pay Spectrum Mobile $53.99 monthly for one unlimited line and one by-the-gig line. They're financing our two new 15 Pros for 36 months at 0%. Not too shabby. However, one must have Spectrum Internet to get these prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.