Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Hey,

I just cannot decide what to do. If I get unlimited TMobile with a handset it should work out around $95 for unlimited everything (plus fees).

Verizon would be $110 for 4gb plus fees.

I do not really need more than 4gb of data so I am thinking that it's best to pay the extra $15 a month for Verizons network but then some people say that T Mobile/ATT can be faster than Verizon.

The only way to really save money is to take your existing handset to T Mobile and pay $70 a month plus fees but I want to upgrade to the new iPhone.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this situation?

Aaron

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
TMobile doesn't hold a candle to VZW in NYC.

VZW has LTE everywhere and they run a more dense and reliable network. Simple as that.

TMobile is spotty as hell. You could be walking through parts of the city and still get EDGE in 2013. Pretty pathetic.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Yeah $70 but then $20 per month for the handset plus taxes and fees. If you plan to upgrade your device regularly then it isn't THAT much cheaper than Verizon.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
If you travel a lot and are certain you will almost always remain under the 4GB cap then get Verizon. If you're usually in the city and might possibly exceed your data allowance get T-Mobile

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Hey,

I just cannot decide what to do. If I get unlimited TMobile with a handset it should work out around $95 for unlimited everything (plus fees).

Verizon would be $110 for 4gb plus fees.

I do not really need more than 4gb of data so I am thinking that it's best to pay the extra $15 a month for Verizons network but then some people say that T Mobile/ATT can be faster than Verizon.

The only way to really save money is to take your existing handset to T Mobile and pay $70 a month plus fees but I want to upgrade to the new iPhone.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this situation?

Aaron

T-Mobile is excellent New York City. Anyone that says otherwise is straight out lying.

artcows

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
T-Mobile is excellent New York City. Anyone that says otherwise is straight out lying.

Is this from personal experience? I'm currently on Verizon, but seriously considering going for the $30 a month pre-paid T-Mobile. The only thing that's holding me back is all of the negative reviews regarding service. Thoughts?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Is this from personal experience? I'm currently on Verizon, but seriously considering going for the $30 a month pre-paid T-Mobile. The only thing that's holding me back is all of the negative reviews regarding service. Thoughts?

http://rootmetrics.com/compare-carriers/united-states/new-york/new-york-may-2013/

VZW is still king of NYC. The fanboys will tell you many things. Just because the service is cheaper doesn't make it superior.

by4evyzy.jpg

Another good alternative are the various AT&T prepaid options. They run a better network than TMo also. AIO, GoPhone, etc. (Cheaper than VZW)

Last edited:

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Verizon is better in NYC but not by much. I have T mobile in NYC and have very few problems plus i like the $70 truly unlimited data.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-25-00-07-39.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-25-00-07-39.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 91

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I have verzion for a company phone and T-Mobile for a personal phone. My wife also has verzion. This is from personal experience. Real life Experience. The best thing about T-Mobile your not stuck in a 2 year contract.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I dropped Verizon in NYC for AT&T because of all the issues I was having

34th street and Broadway 2 bars of LTE unusable Internet

Anytime I go indoors LTE is useless

They're just good for voice and nothing more. Technically I can just shut off LTE and use 3G instead, but I invested in that phone and I want to get my full value's worth

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
I live in NYC and I use T-Mobile. There is almost LTE everywhere I go.

I use my iPhone 5 on the $30 100 minutes unlimited text and 5Gb of data which is all I can ask for.

T-Mobile service is pretty good IMO.

I don't think it's worth my money to pay over $100 with Verizon or AT&T for a slightly better coverage or a bit faster LTE.

artcows

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
http://rootmetrics.com/compare-carriers/united-states/new-york/new-york-may-2013/

VZW is still king of NYC. The fanboys will tell you many things. Just because the service is cheaper doesn't make it superior.

Another good alternative are the various AT&T prepaid options. They run a better network than TMo also. AIO, GoPhone, etc. (Cheaper than VZW)

Thanks for the info. I might just get an unlocked 5S, try T-Mobile out, and if it sucks, take it elsewhere.

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013

I made this exact switch from Verizon to T-Mobile, in NYC. My thoughts are here.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
T Mobiles 4G is as fast or fasters than Verizon LTE. The only thing that suffers is upload speed but that doesn't really matter.

Moving from Verizon to T Mobile was the best thing I ever did!!

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
TMobile doesn't hold a candle to VZW in NYC.

VZW has LTE everywhere and they run a more dense and reliable network. Simple as that.

TMobile is spotty as hell. You could be walking through parts of the city and still get EDGE in 2013. Pretty pathetic.

True story.

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013

I did this. Haven't looked back. In NYC I have ZERO complaints. Things get spotty the further out in the burbs you go.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
If you are mainly in Manhattan then do it and yes that $30 plan is a steal but I went for the $70. It gives you a little roaming data if you need it and also 2.5gb of tethering data...

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

I love how that guy pulls a comparison in May 2013, when Tmobile's LTE network wasn't even fully implemented yet. Those are HSPA+ speeds being compared to Verizon's LTE speeds.

Google any Tmobile LTE vs Verizon LTE speed test and you'll see Tmobile's LTE generally beats VZW. VZW may have a stronger network and more coverage, but its LTE isn't the fastest, true story. Not to mention its fallback onto 3G is a miserable 2Mbps or less. At least with AT&T or Tmobile, you'll get HSPA+

Also, Tmobile is implementing 2x10Mhz LTE channels which have a theoretical maximum speed over 70Mbps, far faster than Verizon's fastest theoretical LTE speed.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57...g-lte-impresses-in-real-world-tests-hands-on/
(test done in NYC)

GQbb6d9.png

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/08/15/iphone-5-4g-lte-speed-att-vs-t-mobile-vs-verizon/

Q5Lttu0.png

And lastly...
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/0...-be-the-perfect-companion-to-the-new-nexus-7/

60Mbps on LTE....Lets see Verizon get that. (test done in NYC)

BP4kNOXCIAE1S9J-575x341.jpg

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Verizon - T Mobile in NYC

I love how that guy pulls a comparison in May 2013, when Tmobile's LTE network wasn't even fully implemented yet. Those are HSPA+ speeds being compared to Verizon's LTE speeds.

Google any Tmobile LTE vs Verizon LTE speed test and you'll see Tmobile's LTE generally beats VZW. VZW may have a stronger network and more coverage, but its LTE isn't the fastest, true story. Not to mention its fallback onto 3G is a miserable 2Mbps or less. At least with AT&T or Tmobile, you'll get HSPA+

Also, Tmobile is implementing 2x10Mhz LTE channels which have a theoretical maximum speed over 70Mbps, far faster than Verizon's fastest theoretical LTE speed.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57...g-lte-impresses-in-real-world-tests-hands-on/
(test done in NYC)

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/08/15/iphone-5-4g-lte-speed-att-vs-t-mobile-vs-verizon/

And lastly...
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/0...-be-the-perfect-companion-to-the-new-nexus-7/

60Mbps on LTE....Lets see Verizon get that. (test done in NYC)

You have no idea what you're talking about...

VZW has a nationwide 2x10 slice of spectrum for its LTE on 700. In fact, TMo is still at 2x5 in NYC.

And 60mbps is easily achievable on VZW. Go look at the LTE speed test threads. AT&T and VZW are routinely blowing TMobile away.

And for the record, TMobile's LTE network isn't fully implemented yet. They seem to be launching markets that are barely covered.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.