Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Hey guys,

I have a Mac Mini mid2011 here that I was getting ready to wipe and install Windows 10 or Linux on as I was certain that High Sierra security updates end in September 2020. I'd like to keep running macOS on it instead of Windows 10 or Linux, but I didn't want to run a version of macOS that's no longer receiving security updates.

Even though I know many Mac users are running macOS versions that haven't received security updates in several years I've thought about this a lot and I do not want to run the risk of using an OS that's not receiving security updates so this is a big deal for me.

Does anyone have an official link from Apple that says High Sierra Support has been extended to November 2020?

Thank you so much!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I don't think Apple ever stated any official lifecycle policy of macOS. It's more of the trend that they at least maintain the current release plus the previous two releases. So today, that would be Catalina through High Sierra. When Big Sur is released, then expect High Sierra to be dropped.

If you don't need mac specific apps, then installing Windows 10 on your Mac will surely extend its software life. It depends on what you use the Mac for.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Does anyone have an official link from Apple that says High Sierra Support has been extended to November 2020?
I have seen this, but not in an official announcement from Apple.

November sounds realistic.

Even though I know many Mac users are running macOS versions that haven't received security updates in several years I've thought about this a lot and I do not want to run the risk of using an OS that's not receiving security updates so this is a big deal for me.

Once Apple stops releasing security updates for an OS, it isn't like your Mac would be instantly vulnerable. A lot of those updates are related to Safari, and people using older OS versions use third-party web browsers, like Firefox. Firefox continues to update its Mac version for a few years after Apple drops support for it.

I am running a few Macs with older, unsupported OS versions. Of course, do your own research, but unless you feel like you would be a target or if you have highly sensitive data on your Mac, you would most likely be okay using your Mac on High Sierra.

When Big Sur is released, then expect High Sierra to be dropped.
This is typically the case, but usually around a month or two after the launch of the new OS will the one being drop become officially dropped.

While it is rare, there has been times in the past that Apple updated older, unsupported Mac OS versions due to a particular security threat. IIRC, I think El Capitan was one of those versions.

I think it was probably because a lot of users were still using El Capitan due to being on older HW that was able to upgrade the OS anymore.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Hey guys,

I have a Mac Mini mid2011 here that I was getting ready to wipe and install Windows 10 or Linux on as I was certain that High Sierra security updates end in September 2020. I'd like to keep running macOS on it instead of Windows 10 or Linux, but I didn't want to run a version of macOS that's no longer receiving security updates.

Thank you so much!
If your really that paranoid that the day after Big Sur is realeased your Mac will be hacked.....?, putting another OS on there may not help you, as the cpu will probably not be receiving updates from intel so in theory would still be vulnerable if someone really wanted to do it.

You could wear a tin hat......?

Many people still use PowerPC machines and don't worry about such things.
Life is too short.

Carry on using the mini for as long as it works.

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
Someone posted the date on Wikipedia.
Until an announcement from Apple we will not know.
Unless it takes that long for 11.0 to be released it should not have support for that long.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
I still can't find an official statement from Apple on when MacOS High Sierra will stop receiving security updates??? :( :(:(

I saw the Wikipedia page, but that isn't from Apple...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I still can't find an official statement from Apple on when MacOS High Sierra will stop receiving security updates???
Apple has never published a support roadmap, and will not comment on their plans. All we know is that the pattern is that in the past they have provided security updates for the current major software release and some security updates for the previous two major versions. Consequently, it's reasonable to expect the pattern will hold for High Sierra when Big Sur gets released, and High Sierra will stop getting security updates at that time.

Reactions: TiggrToo

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
As stated above, as soon as Big Sur is released, expect no more updates.
Three options
1.upgrade to Mojave
2.get a new Mac
3.keep using High Sierra and don't worry ;)

The easiest way to ensure your protected, is safe browsing and common sense.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Someone posted the date on Wikipedia.
Until an announcement from Apple we will not know.
Unless it takes that long for 11.0 to be released it should not have support for that long.
well theoretically even after 11.0 is released, High Sierra remains technically supported until the first supplementary/ security update is released that excludes it, November is a reasonable timeframe for that, unless a Mojave/ Catalina update comes out alongside Big Sur, of course...

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Do keep in mind that Windows 10 =/= Windows 10 in all cases. I have some computers around that are stuck on the 1803 version of Windows which ends support soon. Just because you get Windows 10, does not mean you will be able to install all future versions.

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
As stated above, as soon as Big Sur is released, expect no more updates.
Three options
1.upgrade to Mojave
2.get a new Mac
3.keep using High Sierra and don't worry ;)

The easiest way to ensure your protected, is safe browsing and common sense.
I may move to Mojave then. Well see.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've searched all over the Internet and the best source I could find about High Sierra's security updates was this:
https://computing.cs.cmu.edu/news/2019/eol-macos-highsierra

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thank you for all your replies!
Your question was already answered in this thread. Apple does not publish a support lifespan for its software. The Carnegie Mellon link just states that their internal IT people are ending support for High Sierra computers used in their facility on that date.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Your question was already answered in this thread. Apple does not publish a support lifespan for its software. The Carnegie Mellon link just states that their internal IT people are ending support for High Sierra computers used in their facility on that date.

Thank you for your reply, but my question hasn't been answered: Why do multiple websites say that High Sierra support ends in November 2020 when they originally said September 2020? They must have a source from Apple to say this...

The link I posted says this: "In keeping with Apple's release cycle, macOS 10.13 High Sierra will no longer be receiving security updates as of November 2020. High Sierra was replaced by 10.14 Mojave, and the latest version,10.15 Catalina."

Why does the Wikipedia page say support ends for High Sierra in November 2020 and not September 2020 anymore?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_High_Sierra

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you for your reply, but my question hasn't been answered: Why do multiple websites say that High Sierra support ends in November 2020 when they originally said September 2020? They must have a source from Apple to say this...
Everyone is basing their assumptions on Apple's previous patterns. Apple does not publish or announce a support lifecycle.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK

The link I posted says this: "In keeping with Apple's release cycle, macOS 10.13 High Sierra will no longer be receiving security updates as of November 2020. High Sierra was replaced by 10.14 Mojave, and the latest version,10.15 Catalina."

Why does the Wikipedia page say support ends for High Sierra in November 2020 and not September 2020 anymore?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_High_Sierra
How does the space of 2 months make the slightest bit of difference?
Based on previous versions, HS will probably stop receiving updates in the fall/autumn......
As suggested before, if you really are concerned (about nothing) then upgrade either your OS or Mac.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Hey guys,

Thank you so much!
Can you please articulate exactly what you're worried about?

Some food for thought... a 10 year old macOS will still be far more secure than an up to date Windows 10 install. I run High Sierra, and I'm a software developer. I will be staying on it for at least 2-3 more years. All you really need for security is half an ounce of common sense, and a modern up to date browser. HS will still have modern browser support in several years.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
How does the space of 2 months make the slightest bit of difference?
Based on previous versions, HS will probably stop receiving updates in the fall/autumn......
As suggested before, if you really are concerned (about nothing) then upgrade either your OS or Mac.

Thank you for your reply Mark!

The time of 2 months makes a HUGE difference to me because it means I'll be able to keep using my Mac Mini mid2011 for an extra 2 months if High Sierra will continue to receive security updates until November 2020.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Thank you for your reply Mark!

The time of 2 months makes a HUGE difference to me because it means I'll be able to keep using my Mac Mini mid2011 for an extra 2 months if High Sierra will continue to receive security updates until November 2020.
Personally, I don't think the 2 months period matter in the larger scheme of things.
I have a 2012 mac mini, and I'm planning to keep it on High Sierra, probably forever. As long as you keep your firewall on, and run the latest internet browser (I plan to use Microsoft Edge after Apple stops updating Safari on HS), imo you'll probably be fine. The important part is the web browser as that is one major window to the internet.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Personally, I don't think the 2 months period matter in the larger scheme of things.
I have a 2012 mac mini, and I'm planning to keep it on High Sierra, probably forever. As long as you keep your firewall on, and run the latest internet browser (I plan to use Microsoft Edge after Apple stops updating Safari on HS), imo you'll probably be fine. The important part is the web browser as that is one major window to the internet.

Thank you for your reply Ian!

My Mac Mini mid2011 HDD's died a long time ago so I really miss using macOSX so the 2 months will make a big difference for me as I do not have access to another Mac... ? ? ?

Loyola

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2004
For some of us, 2 months is important. As I have mentioned previously I use Citrix Workspace to work remotely. This will give me time to make sure my Windows 10 is working well enough to use as well as set up Linux. Using Citrix Workspace on Linux via VirtualBox has worked ok. I think giving it its own space on my HD will make it very usable.

I am not ready to buy a new computer since we are still not sure what the economy will do. If the economy tanks, my job could be in jeopardy. Finance tends to be hard hit with layoffs when the economy isn't good.

Reactions: camelia

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
For some of us, 2 months is important. As I have mentioned previously I use Citrix Workspace to work remotely. This will give me time to make sure my Windows 10 is working well enough to use as well as set up Linux. Using Citrix Workspace on Linux via VirtualBox has worked ok. I think giving it its own space on my HD will make it very usable.

I am not ready to buy a new computer since we are still not sure what the economy will do. If the economy tanks, my job could be in jeopardy. Finance tends to be hard hit with layoffs when the economy isn't good.
Thanks for your compassion Loyola!

I hope you're able to survive this economic downturn as well!

Also, it seems like a bad idea to buy a new Mac right now with the announcement of the transfer to new Apple hardware...

Reactions: Loyola and camelia

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011

They could be assuming that Big Sur won’t be released until November, in which case HS would still be supported in September.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.