Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Thank you for your reply Mark!

The time of 2 months makes a HUGE difference to me because it means I'll be able to keep using my Mac Mini mid2011 for an extra 2 months if High Sierra will continue to receive security updates until November 2020.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there probably won’t be another SU for HS (never say never).
So your Mac will be no different now or in 2 or 6 months time.
I really don’t know what your so worried about though.
You can keep using it, with common sense browsing.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
It won’t die, there will just be no updates.
You can continue to use it indefinitely.

Yes that is correct, It won’t die
But my guess is 3 more security updates and no more

Usually in previous macOS we had received 6 security updates (SecUpd2020-006"macOS Version")

And 1 more because usually Apple makes a mess with the last one ?

Came

Reactions: MarkC426

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
i think we will receive 3 more security updates more and that's all, HS will die

Came

Stay positive, I still used Leopard for the Internet Banking in May 2018, my bank officially dropped support for the Safari 6 only on 15 May 2020.
This is what I like the most about the Mac, you always have time for a cup of coffee(or a 100 000 cups of coffee) before you really need to start thinking about upgrading your Mac OS.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
If your hdd died and your not using MacOS, why are you bothered at all..... ?
MarkC, I don't have access to another Mac so I don't have access to MacOSX.

I'm bothered because I really do miss using MacOSX :(

I'm just getting worried because by the time I install the new HDD in my Mac Mini mid2011 I may only be able to use MacOSX on my Mac Mini for a couple weeks...???

• Love
Reactions: camelia

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Apple doesn't suddenly shut off everything.
I think you are also forgetting that Apple will still provide updates to the security "parts" of your system, such as Xprotect, gatekeeper, MRT (malware removal tool), probably even SIP. Those continue to be updated on previous systems, as they are part of the daily system protection provided by the Mac system.
No ongoing "Security updates", but the automatic (hidden) updates would continue.
I agree with the above post, no reason to panic.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Apple doesn't suddenly shut off everything.
I think you are also forgetting that Apple will still provide updates to the security "parts" of your system, such as Xprotect, gatekeeper, MRT (malware removal tool), probably even SIP. Those continue to be updated on previous systems, as they are part of the daily system protection provided by the Mac system.
No ongoing "Security updates", but the automatic (hidden) updates would continue.
I agree with the above post, no reason to panic.

What is SIP?

Thanks
Camelia

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
AGAIN.....there is no reason why you can’t use it.... ?
I am sorry, but I really don’t get why your panicking so much.
It is not the end of road for your mini.

Thank you for your reply MarkC.

I know I'm being overly cautious, but I just want to make sure my Mac Mini mid2011 running High Sierra will be secure as I do a lot of my work on it... ? ? ?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Your options are:
1. Carry on as normal.
2. Upgrade and feel more secure.....

Like I have said earlier, the best way to stay safe is sensible browsing.
Never click links in e-mails, only download from trusted sources.

And without being rude, the likelyhood of someone targeting you with your ‘state of the art mini’ is extremely unlikely...... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: robotica

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Thank you for your reply MarkC.

I know I'm being overly cautious, but I just want to make sure my Mac Mini mid2011 running High Sierra will be secure as I do a lot of my work on it... ? ? ?

Technically speaking you are 100% correct. At the same time you are refusing to play by the rules of the system and buy a new hardware. It seems that you are stuck in a perpetual "cautiously rebellious" state. In order to get out of this state you must make a leap of faith(patcher, whatever other options there is). There is no way around it.

Xray50

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Puebla, Mexico
Stay positive, I still used Leopard for the Internet Banking in May 2018, my bank officially dropped support for the Safari 6 only on 15 May 2020.
This is what I like the most about the Mac, you always have time for a cup of coffee(or a 100 000 cups of coffee) before you really need to start thinking about upgrading your Mac OS.

Are u sure is still secure Internet Banking with macOS High Sierra and Safari Version 13.1.2 (13609.3.5.1.5)?

Safari Version 13.1.2 (13609.3.5.1.5).png

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
The time of 2 months makes a HUGE difference to me because it means I'll be able to keep using my Mac Mini mid2011 for an extra 2 months if High Sierra will continue to receive security updates until November 2020.

I promise you, if you use High Sierra for a few months after it stops receiving security updates, you will be fine. Just switch to a browser like Firefox (as opposed to Safari) that will still be updated on High Sierra.

The exception is if you personally are a major target for hackers. For instance, if you're a journalist, or you work on a political campaign, or you're a high-level executive at a major company, it is absolutely essential that you stay completely up-to-date at all times. Other than that you're fine.

And High Sierra is the best of the recent OS releases anyway.

Last edited:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Are u sure is still secure Internet Banking with macOS High Sierra and Safari Version 13.1.2 (13609.3.5.1.5)?

View attachment 948147

I am not sure I understood your question. There is no guarantees even with the latest and greatest hardware/OS.
There are other simple procesess that you can implement to increase your security online that have already been mentioned many times before. If you don't have any "game plan", you are vulnerable, period.

Xray50

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Puebla, Mexico
I am not sure I understood your question. There is no guarantees even with the latest and greatest hardware/OS.
There are other simple procesess that you can implement to increase your security online that have already been mentioned many times before. If you don't have any "game plan", you are vulnerable, period.

I know, common sense is the best antivirus, I only use Safari to check my Email (Google and Hotmail) and for Internet Banking.

I don't download anything, all my Apps are from the Apple Store, so I am only have to update.

I have 3 MBP's and the one with High Sierra is exclusive for Internet Banking, if not more secure updates for HS should I stop using this MBP for Internet Banking?

Tc

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Thanks so much for all the replies!

I'm trying to choose what I should do to maintain security, but wow, I'm really struggling to choose... ? ? ?

This is weird: I just checked the Wikipedia page for High Sierra and once again the support date has been extended for High Sierra from September/November 2020 and it now says support will continue for High Sierra until the end of 2020...?????

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_High_Sierra

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
That doesn’t necessarily mean there will be any updates though.
You seem to be spending an awful lot of time reading/researching the end date, by which time it will actually be November. Enjoy it now while it’s supported, with updates as required.

Ignorance is bliss, I was on Snow Leopard for ever before I joined these forums and was oblivious to all ‘scare mongering’ and had zero issues.

It is only when you start reading all these things you then get over paranoid.

Reactions: avz

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I know, common sense is the best antivirus, I only use Safari to check my Email (Google and Hotmail) and for Internet Banking.

I don't download anything, all my Apps are from the Apple Store, so I am only have to update.

I have 3 MBP's and the one with High Sierra is exclusive for Internet Banking, if not more secure updates for HS should I stop using this MBP for Internet Banking?

Tc

Yes, looks like you are on a right path.

I also used Leopard exclusively just for the Internet Banking and nothing else. On top of that I only spent around 5-10 min a week doing Internet Banking. It is actually possible to create a separate user account just for the IB, but I don't mind booting to a dedicated partition.

I personally would have no issues doing Internet Banking on Mavericks, let alone High Sierra. I have MacBooks with Mavericks that are connected to the internet pretty much 24/7 without any issues. Ultimately it is your decision as for all I know you might be a high profile person.

Reactions: Xray50
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.