Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget posted a "spy photo" that is potentially the unreleased Video iPod.

The poor quality photo depicts what appears to be an iPod-like device with much larger screen. Scroll wheel remains.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
This definitely looks fake to me. The screen is crooked and has poor quality edges that don't look real. Adding a bunch of grain and fuzziness is a half-clever way to make it seem more plausible.

stoid

macrumors 601
I think it's ugly. I've enjoyed so many of Apple's product designs, but this is too elongated and is too much a bastardization of the iPod. If they go for a bigger screen (Jobs said that the iPod screen is too small) I imaging something that will resemble the iMac G5 instead of a screwball remote control.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Too bored to link to the post, but the screen on the "iPod" is the startup screen from a Toshiba PDA. The corners are disproportionate to one another, and bleah. So that's that.

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Fake... the screen isn't even centered or aligned. But... if it looks similar... then i'm sold... especially if you can record from TV.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
What about this one?

My friend showed me this, he found it in a google search, he sent me the keywords he used for it but I couldn't find the source when I tried. He said it was on a web page that the text didn't display properly (He's using Windows, not too multilingual friendly) Most likely this was taken with a cell phone camera, one with a flash I suppose, I'm happy to see Star Wars on the screen, oh yeah!

This one actually looks real and I'd buy it as soon as it's released! :D

Attachments

• VIDEO%20IPOD.jpg
    VIDEO%20IPOD.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,179

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
LimeiBook86 said:
My friend showed me this, he found it in a google search, he sent me the keywords he used for it but I couldn't find the source when I tried. He said it was on a web page that the text didn't display properly (He's using Windows, not too multilingual friendly) Most likely this was taken with a cell phone camera, one with a flash I suppose, I'm happy to see Star Wars on the screen, oh yeah!

This one actually looks real and I'd buy it as soon as it's released! :D
looks like my carpet in my front room

week to find out then if it is real

Shattering Fast

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2005
Taswegia
They both look like the same video iPod. That's how I imagined them and it seems to fit podfuture's despcription. I wonder what he has to say.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I commented on this in an other thread after I spotted the picture that was posted by user andrebsd. I don't think it is really the true deal. I do hope they bring one out soon, but I don't think this is it sadly. :(

3060000000047901.JPG

Posted by andrebsd of his Toshiba e335 Pocket PC on an other thread. I can also confirm that the image of the "video iPod" has it's graphics from the below device.

toshiba1np.jpg

image.php

matd

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
Hi ;-)

I'm not a fan of "spy" pics because i remember the iPhones, the mysterious iMac-a-like fake package box (taken in a lift before the Apple Expo 2004) but something might be true on the design ( althought i have a doubt that the picture is 100 % real...) because the french magazine SVM Mac have launched their Octobre edition with a prototype like iPod video on the front cover and curiously it looks the same as the picture above... So my question is : how can two "prototype image" be the same ? Especially the stuff with the wheel strikes me a lot ( so sure there will be a wheel on the new iPod?, why not rebirthing the touchscreen ?? (newton had it years ago)....

Ok I'll stop here my comments because, dreaming too much in the Apple world may sometime lead to big disappointments ( especially this year with the "new" iBook the iPod Nano and I'm not talking about the itunes "lite" for motorola ...lol

I think : wait and see ;-)

20050929001g.gif

http://svmmac.vnunet.fr/sommaire

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I don't know about the others, they all look odd somehow. The one I snagged looks good, I really hope it's true. Imagine watching movies on a long plane ride or something and then press a button to listen to your music and just relax.:) I wonder how a battery would hold up on these things, I mean the video screen must take up a lot of juice. :rolleyes: :confused:

attachment.php

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
That picture above realllly looks like a stretched out Nano... with a sort of blurred lens flare... thre's no shadow on the carpet, which is odd, and you dont see the sides of the ipod....

I'm very curious on how the real thing looks, it has to be similar...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
mulletman13 said:
That picture above realllly looks like a stretched out Nano... with a sort of blurred lens flare... thre's no shadow on the carpet, which is odd, and you dont see the sides of the ipod....

I'm very curious on how the real thing looks, it has to be similar...
I know with my HP camera which is pretty bad, if you take a picture of something close it'll make everything around it white, and you'll see no shadows. So with my experience with dealing with low quality cameras I think there's a possibility that it's real. (Please be real...please be real! :D)

Elrond39

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Personally, I'd say that the click-wheel is too large, as it's solely the combination of a full-size click-wheel and bigger screen that's elongating the casing so significantly. Odds are that the new a/v-Pod will indeed be a bit longer, but not that much. Or, not at all, if it looks like this. (Nano-sized click-wheel, screen the size of 2 regular iPod screens)

Attachments

• vPod rendition for posting.JPG
    vPod rendition for posting.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 448

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
so not real...

the flash is fake.. the proportions are all off... the clickwheel is too wedged into the design... to close to the screen for pressure and the screen has more space top and bottom than at the end... this is sloppy, flat, and no way is it real. sorry. I'm a designer and this is all wrong and too sloppy to be an apple design.

the lens flare looks alot like the photoshop filter.

not to mention the horrible attempt to make it appear lit by a flash... the entire iPod would be lit up as well as washed out by a flash at that range. there is no shadow either..

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Yea! Nothing like watching Lord Of The Rings on a 2"x 1.5" screen a foot away from your face! Yea, my arms can hold the video iPod for the whole 3 1/2 hours on it too!!

Whooohoooo :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.