Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shahrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2021
At first I thought it was due to the ad block extensions I had installed but it is happening on quicktime/IINA video players as well as youtube/other streaming video. Additional notes - video has to be running for a few minutes before the freeze occurs and it happens in both full screen and non-full screen modes. Audio will continue on as if nothing ever happened and ~20 secs later the screen will unfreeze and play from where the audio is. Happens on both safari and firefox. Additionally, although it is a bit more rare - the cursor will freeze and not move for 20 to 30 seconds.

Tried running the hardware diagnostic test and it came back with "No issues found” code ADP000.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Running MacOS 12.0.1

Big Jobs

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2021
any peripherals attached either wired or wirelessly? does the same thing occur in latest build of VLC? What version OS are you on?

(Have a 14” Pro here with zero issues like you list, mine is hooked up via TB and BT to multiple peripherals, but i NEVER use QT)

shahrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2021
any peripherals attached either wired or wirelessly? does the same thing occur in latest build of VLC? What version OS are you on?

(Have a 14” Pro here with zero issues like you list, mine is hooked up via TB and BT to multiple peripherals, but i NEVER use QT)
No peripherals attatched. I'm on 12.0.1 currently. Think I might try moving to 12.1 beta to see if that resolves the issue. I usually use VLC but I've switched to IINA which has the same issue on downloaded video content. I don't really use QT either but I thought I would test it to see. Happens on all video, streaming or downloaded. Netflix, youtube, reddit, etc. and home videos/other local content I have saved to the SSD. Doesn't happen every time but every 2 or 3 times I play some sort of video

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Had this on Apple TV+ content and movies, not noticed it happening on 12.1 so far. Also had issues where there is no video at all on YouTube, requiring me to close and reopen safari.

shahrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2021
Had this on Apple TV+ content and movies, not noticed it happening on 12.1 so far. Also had issues where there is no video at all on YouTube, requiring me to close and reopen safari.
Thanks for the input. I'll try updating to 12.1 and report back

Reactions: Marshall73

jumrnz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
Hello,

I have the exact same issues. Both for the video and cursor freeze. I updated a few days ago to 12.1 but the issues are still present.
That plus the "cmd + tap to click" not working properly is annoying on such a machine.

My config is the macbook pro 14 with M1 Pro 8-core CPU and 14-core GPU.

Does anyone know where this is coming from and if a fix exists ?

Thanks

shahrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2021
Hello,

I have the exact same issues. Both for the video and cursor freeze. I updated a few days ago to 12.1 but the issues are still present.
That plus the "cmd + tap to click" not working properly is annoying on such a machine.

Thanks
I have the same config macbook pro 14. I wonder if it has something to do with it being a binned chip? Bought everything base, including the ram at 16gb but 16gb ram should be enough to just stream video. Been busy so I haven't had time to test 12.1 just yet but it's discouraging to hear that you've already done that and the issues still persist. Have you tried calling apple support yet to see what they say? That's my next step if 12.1 doesn't fix the issue. Going to request an RMA and may upgrade to the 10 core/16 core config worst case

shahrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2021
Hello,

Thanks
Updating to 12.1 appears to have fixed my issue. I recommend calling apple support and seeing if you can get a replacement

jumrnz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
Thank you for your feedback.
I have been testing for the past two days on safari and I did not encounter the issue. Hopefully Firefox and Chrome will be fixed as well as it seems software related.

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
I get the same thing.
Video freezes, audio continues unaffected.
Computer is unresponsive for duration of the freeze.
But seems to buffer mouse clicks, keyboard clicks.

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
running 12.0.1
And get this, when I do what Apple says to get to recovery mode, it just shuts down. It never gets to recovery.
I hear the 'chime' and see the Apple logo, progress bar goes about an inch then it notices I'm holding down the power button/touch ID and thinks 'oh he wants us to shut down. Good night.'.
This is pretty dumb!
Guess I can just skip troubleshooting and go straight to the update.
Aside from the video freezing I'm getting a couple finder crashes a day, so I'm starting to regret my purchase no matter how much faster it is.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
running 12.0.1
And get this, when I do what Apple says to get to recovery mode, it just shuts down. It never gets to recovery.
I hear the 'chime' and see the Apple logo, progress bar goes about an inch then it notices I'm holding down the power button/touch ID and thinks 'oh he wants us to shut down. Good night.'.
This is pretty dumb!
Guess I can just skip troubleshooting and go straight to the update.
Aside from the video freezing I'm getting a couple finder crashes a day, so I'm starting to regret my purchase no matter how much faster it is.
To go to recovery. Turn it off. Hold the button. Don't let it go until it says loading startup options etc then you can just let go.

It'll go to the picker and you can go to other options. Since if you were holding it down from shutdown . It won't even show the progress bar

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
Yeah, I got the memo.
That does not work.
I even held it for 5 minutes just for fun.
It just shuts down.
Just finished loading 12.1 so I'll check and see if it works now.

Wow, still doesn't work!
Tried twice, held it until my finger was falling asleep.
command R does not work either.
Apple QA is really dropping the ball here.
I guess we just have to count on our 14" Macs to never have any problems, ever, and never need recovery, ever.

Last edited:

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Yeah, I got the memo.
That does not work.
I even held it for 5 minutes just for fun.
It just shuts down.
Just finished loading 12.1 so I'll check and see if it works now.

Wow, still doesn't work!
Tried twice, held it until my finger was falling asleep.
command R does not work either.
Apple QA is really dropping the ball here.
I guess we just have to count on our 14" Macs to never have any problems, ever, and never need recovery, ever.
Yeah so I'm guessing the recovery is corrupted or something. To fix the recovery it's prob gonna need Apple Configurator. Since i think it can wipe it fully and load it again with the OS with recovery etc

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
Yeah, haven't used Configurator since I worked for a large hospitality company pre-pandemic.
Will have to set that up on my desktop when I get home in a few weeks.
Until then I guess it's Time Machine and fingers crossed.
Pretty lame if Apple is shipping out $2k laptops with bad system images.

Reactions: white7561

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Yeah, haven't used Configurator since I worked for a large hospitality company pre-pandemic.
Will have to set that up on my desktop when I get home in a few weeks.
Until then I guess it's Time Machine and fingers crossed.
Pretty lame if Apple is shipping out $2k laptops with bad system images.
Yeah mine works fine. And you're the first one I've heard with this problem. It's prob just a bad luck tbh :p

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
Video glitch seems to be fixed after updating to 12.1.
Tried again today and I can get to boot menu now.
Guess it needed a few restarts for something to rattle into place?

slasko

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2022
Hello,

Thanks
Have te same issues as you, also the same mac config... anyone find a solution?

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
FWIW when my 14" was fresh out of the box the tap to click and two finger tap for context menu were very spotty. I was almost ready to return it. Then after a few more days either I learned the narrow window of response, or it calibrated it's touch sensor.
Also, are you sure you are on 12.1 and not 12.0.1?
12.1 cleared up ALL my video issues and most of my instability.
Now I blame the instability on some old VST/AUs that I'm using despite Logic warning on launch.
No instability using Photoshop, Premiere etc.

slasko

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2022
FWIW when my 14" was fresh out of the box the tap to click and two finger tap for context menu were very spotty. I was almost ready to return it. Then after a few more days either I learned the narrow window of response, or it calibrated it's touch sensor.
Also, are you sure you are on 12.1 and not 12.0.1?
12.1 cleared up ALL my video issues and most of my instability.
Now I blame the instability on some old VST/AUs that I'm using despite Logic warning on launch.
No instability using Photoshop, Premiere etc.
tnx for the prompt reply...
Sure, i know that adaptation period is needed, but nevertheless those freezing isues continued despite OS update... yeah, im sure im on 12.1, freezing is not so often, once or twice a day but still when you pay that kind of money you expect it to be perfect, you know?
It's a little bit better now on new OS but it's there.
Maby it could be something to do with temeperature? Just a though.

rrclnnaa

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2022
I am on 12.1. Base model MBP 14" with the video freezing issue. No issues found running diagnostics.

The video freezing happens about once every 2 hrs of video watching.

I am running in safe mode as a test recommended by Apple support, but the freezing still happens. In safe mode the freezing lasts for 5 seconds as opposed to 10-20 seconds. I will contact Apple support tomorrow to see what they suggest next. I am guessing they will ask me to wipe and reload OSX.

My time has almost run out to return. I had to initiate the return already and have a few more days to ship it back.

Too bad because I waited so long for this model to come out and it perfect other than this issue.

slasko

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2022

Read this, many people reported the same problem.
It is a software issue, probably going to be fixed in the future.
In the meantime i think ive found solution... system preferences > displays > then change refresh rate from pro motion to 60 hertz and restart mac
Let me know if this works with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.