Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Is it possible or do I have to use the app on my iPad to view them? If that's the case, I think I'm going to find another way to write because I don't want to be able to view it through only one source.

SHIFTLife

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Is it possible or do I have to use the app on my iPad to view them? If that's the case, I think I'm going to find another way to write because I don't want to be able to view it through only one source.

Not on PC, but there's a Mac version on the Mac App Store.

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
That's lame. Is there any sort of emulation software out there or am I stuck with a VM?

paulmayne

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
SLC
Hey guys, I'm the owner / creator of Day One. There have been crafty users that have written scripts that parse the Day One data (XML files) to display in a webpage or other formats. Which can be done on Windows. Like this one that makes an HTML page with PHP: https://gist.github.com/906408

We are looking at Windows solutions, more specifically, Metro and hope to have something to announce later this year.

-Paul

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Hey guys, I'm the owner / creator of Day One. There have been crafty users that have written scripts that parse the Day One data (XML files) to display in a webpage or other formats. Which can be done on Windows. Like this one that makes an HTML page with PHP: https://gist.github.com/906408

We are looking at Windows solutions, more specifically, Metro and hope to have something to announce later this year.

-Paul

Hey, thanks for the post. How would I use that PHP? I'm kind of a noob in this regard.

JustBeAwesome

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I found a solution

Hey
I had the same problem and I found a tool which allows you to export all your entries into PDF so you cann vies it on your PC. For me it was enough because i can edit entries using my iPhone app.

Hope my way is useful for you.

JustBeAwesome:)

VinceInVA

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Please spare us Metro pain

-Paul

Paul I know this is old but I am new to DayOne which kicks but btw!
Please spare us Metro pain...I want DayOne access on my PC badly but...ugh Metro is the great spirit killer

nullstein

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
DayOne client for PC

If there's anyone still interested in this, you might want to try my pc client which can be found here.

Doesn't support relatively newer features like adding photo, tagging, but I'm planning to catch-up those features shortly.

SweStars

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
If there's anyone still interested in this, you might want to try my pc client which can be found here.

Doesn't support relatively newer features like adding photo, tagging, but I'm planning to catch-up those features shortly.

Could you give an explanation to how this program works?
I downloaded it and installed it and choose the DayOneJournalWindowsClient as folder and just got this error message efter trying to make a entry:

How do I connect this to my iPhone Day One app?

nullstein

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Could you give an explanation to how this program works?
I downloaded it and installed it and choose the DayOneJournalWindowsClient as folder and just got this error message efter trying to make a entry:

[url=http://i.imgur.com/R9Dqnhw.png]Image[/URL]

How do I connect this to my iPhone Day One app?

Could you try installing it somewhere else, which is not under "Program Files"?

Also, in order to sync it with iPhone Day One app, you should enable Dropbox Sync from the app. After that, select the following folder from the settings of the PC version.

[your dropbox folder]\Apps\Day One\Journal.dayone\entries

SweStars

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Could you try installing it somewhere else, which is not under "Program Files"?

Also, in order to sync it with iPhone Day One app, you should enable Dropbox Sync from the app. After that, select the following folder from the settings of the PC version.

[your dropbox folder]\Apps\Day One\Journal.dayone\entries

I actually made it work! :)
I did NOT have to install it any other folder, I simply referred the Day One Windows Client to the Dropbox folder ([your dropbox folder]\Apps\Day One\Journal.dayone\entries).

It doesn't sync everything that I've written in the iOS app, but, I can still make entries via the computer. No dualsync I assume? Still. This is great :)

elpine

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013

Nullstein, thank you for the download. I was wondering why it takes so long to update entries from my pc to my iPhone? For one entry it is saying 2 hours left. It was my first entry so I am wondering if it needs to connect to the program? My internet is fairly fast. Thank you!

nullstein

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013

Nullstein, thank you for the download. I was wondering why it takes so long to update entries from my pc to my iPhone? For one entry it is saying 2 hours left. It was my first entry so I am wondering if it needs to connect to the program? My internet is fairly fast. Thank you!

I don't see that problem on my machine, so I can only guess what's going on there. Normally, it only takes a few seconds to be in sync with Dropbox.

Well, who exactly is saying "2 hours left"? Dropbox?
If so, there might have been some problem regarding Dropbox Sync.
Another possibility is that the journal entry file is open by the client, so Dropbox might have been waiting for it to be closed.

Dellu

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
Norway
Working perfect, thanks

Thank you very much for the wonderful application. It is working perfectly on my pc; simplified my life a lot. Now, I don't have to scratch that nasty ipad screen to enter my journals; type it on my pc...wonderful!

CRL2

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
Unfortunately it does not appear to be able to access iCloud.
I switched Day One over to work with DropBox, hoping that I would be able to access that.
However, it can't see anything in dropbox under the App folder.

It looks like you can't manually enter the directory path. You can only set it from the graphical window, so I wasn't able to open the directory with the Day One data files.

I went into the install directory hoping there was a config file I could directly enter the path. Unfortunately there wasn't. I also couldn't find anything through the control panel, etc.

Is there anyway to manually configure the path so that it can either see the directory under the dropbox/apps folder, access iCloud or allow manual entry of the Day One files location?

Thanx,
CRL2

nullstein

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Unfortunately it does not appear to be able to access iCloud.
I switched Day One over to work with DropBox, hoping that I would be able to access that.
However, it can't see anything in dropbox under the App folder.

It looks like you can't manually enter the directory path. You can only set it from the graphical window, so I wasn't able to open the directory with the Day One data files.

I went into the install directory hoping there was a config file I could directly enter the path. Unfortunately there wasn't. I also couldn't find anything through the control panel, etc.

Is there anyway to manually configure the path so that it can either see the directory under the dropbox/apps folder, access iCloud or allow manual entry of the Day One files location?

Thanx,
CRL2

I'm not entirely sure why you can't see the directory under Dropbox,
but if you really want to manually set the directory,
you can go to "%APPDATA%\DayOneWindowsClient" and edit the DayOneWindowsClient.settings file.

CRL2

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
I'm not entirely sure why you can't see the directory under Dropbox,
but if you really want to manually set the directory,
you can go to "%APPDATA%\DayOneWindowsClient" and edit the DayOneWindowsClient.settings file.

Thanks, that worked just fine.
The Appsdata is invisible to the path configuration when you click the settings and use the file selection widget. I suspect it's an invisible directory, with a hidden attribute, or something like that.

Also, in the settings dialog box, the blank to manually enter the day one folder path is read-only.
When I went in and changed the configuration file, that worked, though.

One suggestion I would make is to make that blank read/write.
Another would be to allow the file dialog box to see hidden directories and/or to allow the user to enter the directory path manually in that dialog box. I suspect there is a configuration or parameter in the function call when launching the dialog box that would control whether the manual-entry blank is available to the user.

nullstein

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks, that worked just fine.
The Appsdata is invisible to the path configuration when you click the settings and use the file selection widget. I suspect it's an invisible directory, with a hidden attribute, or something like that.

Also, in the settings dialog box, the blank to manually enter the day one folder path is read-only.
When I went in and changed the configuration file, that worked, though.

One suggestion I would make is to make that blank read/write.
Another would be to allow the file dialog box to see hidden directories and/or to allow the user to enter the directory path manually in that dialog box. I suspect there is a configuration or parameter in the function call when launching the dialog box that would control whether the manual-entry blank is available to the user.

Glad to hear that it worked.
Thanks for the suggestions!

luis63

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013
Problems syncing with dropbox

Dear Mr (?) Nullstein,

I am very glad that you are developing this software, because I would like to type my OneDay entries on PC.
Unfortunately, I can not get my entries synced between iPhone and PC. I am using Dropbox.
In your software I tried different settings for the folder (which I can access by means of the explorer) such as "C:\Users\Eigenaar\Dropbox\Apps\Day One\Journal.dayone".

Can you suggest a solution?

Kind Regards,

Lucy

luis63

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013
Dear Mr (?) Nullstein,

I am very glad that you are developing this software, because I would like to type my OneDay entries on PC.
Unfortunately, I can not get my entries synced between iPhone and PC. I am using Dropbox.
In your software I tried different settings for the folder (which I can access by means of the explorer) such as "C:\Users\Eigenaar\Dropbox\Apps\Day One\Journal.dayone".

Can you suggest a solution?

Kind Regards,

Lucy

Problem solved!
I deinstalled and reinstalled, now with install "for Everyone", instead of "just for me"
Thanks for this super software!

Happy coding

nullstein

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Problem solved!
I deinstalled and reinstalled, now with install "for Everyone", instead of "just for me"
Thanks for this super software!

Happy coding

This seems like a useful information. I didn't know about it.
Glad that it works.

VanityDestroyer

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
Dear nullstein,

I appreciate what you're doing! I think your program is great, but I did run into one problem. After I create an entry on my iPhone, when I try to edit it on my PC, it deletes my entry on my iPhone. I guess it overwrites it? Am I doing something wrong? Thank you!

Treboreon

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Dear nullstein,

I appreciate what you're doing! I think your program is great, but I did run into one problem. After I create an entry on my iPhone, when I try to edit it on my PC, it deletes my entry on my iPhone. I guess it overwrites it? Am I doing something wrong? Thank you!

I may be having the same problem as VanityDestroyer. I installed the latest version of the Day One Windows client and if I edit an entry on the PC it doesn't show up on my phone. The file syncs fine I think that the xml is not being constructed correctly on my windows machine.

After editing an entry on the PC all of the dictionary sections in the entry file are being combined. For example in the location section instead of separate elements I end up with this:

Code:
	<key>Location</key>
	<dict>Administrative AreaOhioCountryUnited StatesLatitude39.97LocalityColumbusLongitude-83.05Place Name</dict>

Possibly a problem with some library that it uses being different on my machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.