Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
I’ve been getting the vintage hardware itch recently and aside from picking up some old PowerPC hardware (PowerBook G4 A1025 1Ghz, Apple Cinema Display HD 23”, Apple Pro Mouse) that I used to own (oh, the OS 9 nostalgia!), I’ve recently put together the exact same PC rig I used to have back in 2005 when I was into gaming.

Prices being as they are for such outdated components, I took the liberty to pick up an AMD FX-60 for an extra $40 bundled together with an Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard to replace the Athlon 64 3000+ (and later an overclocked Opteron 165 @2.7Ghz on a DFI LanParty NF4-SLI DR Expert) I used to own.

Following bits and bobs include:
  • CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60
  • Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
  • RAM: 2Gb DDR400 OCZ Platinum 2-2-2-5
  • GPU: AMD Radeon X1800XT 512Mb
  • SSD: 120Gb OCZ Agility 2 (wanted to resurrect my 2x 74Gb Raptors RAID but these are finicky due to age and international postage)
  • HDD: 500Gb WD Caviar
  • Sound: Soundblaster Creative X-FI
  • PSU: Seasonic M12 520W
  • CASE: Lian-Li PC-V1000
Unfortunately, I couldn’t source a good second hand Lian-Li case and in an effort to reduce the size of this bit-part-timer-for-the-sake-of-nostalgia rig, I went with the very compact Thermaltake Core G3 Slim, able to house a full ATX motherboard. Unfortunately, this meant downsizing to an SFX PSU, so I have swapped the Seasonic out for a Corsair SF450W unit.

This is going to be paired with an old EIZO CG222W I had lying around the office, a good mechanical keyboard and some form of a Logitech mouse no doubt.

I’ll delve into what it’s like trying to relive Windows XP, driver issues, dead capacitors and making sense of a ‘vintage’ (is it?) PC gaming rig in 2018 once everything is up and running.

Fingers crossed.

Here’s looking forward to the postman arriving numerous times over the next two weeks and to a very nostalgic summer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.