Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
No. If you can resist the temptation to not go to sketchy websites or click random links in your emails you’ll be fine.

If you’re going on sketchy sites use a VM. If you’re not sure how to configure one your best bet is either don’t go to those sites or use a Chromebook

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
ClamX AV subscription. From way back when Mark Allan ran (owned it) and it hardly had an UI. Unfortunately has gotten quite Memory extensive nowdays with over 1GB.

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
I think the days of of malware only affecting people going to sketchy sites are over
A simple google presents a list of articles stating that its a growing problem.

Apple’s malware problem is getting worse
An Insidious Mac Malware Is Growing More Sophisticated
Apple Says Malware Is A Problem On Macs. So How Bad Is It?
Report Finds Surge in Malware Aimed at MacOS
Increased Enterprise Use of iOS, Mac Means More Malware
New Mac Malware Samples Underscore Growing Threat
Mac malware threats surged in 2020, but are still nowhere near Windows

I've seen arguments on the PC and Mac side that if you don't visit certain sites, you won't have to worry but that seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom of protecting your information. With Ransomware being so prevalent do you want to take a chance with losing your data?

• Wow
Reactions: HDFan and sorgo †

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
There's a bunch of options out there, so to me, just depends on how comfortable you are with your data and/or what you have on your machine. Mac malware is becoming more sophisticated, and the days of requiring the user to install said malware is coming to an end (if we're not yet already there). I've used Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, Eset for a time, but now I rely on Xprotect/MRT/Gatekeeper.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I've read more articles than I can count on whether or not you need protection on a Mac. For me, I have opted to use an antivirus program to augment the built in protection of macOS.

I use Intego Virus Barrier and it does a good job with no performance hit. Their support is very responsive and they have been supporting Macs for years. What I like about Intego is that it has a real time scanner that checks for malware as you open files, rather than having to run a manual scan after the fact.

Ultimately, it is a personal decision you will have to make. On any Mac related forum, you are going to see very strong opinions making both arguments (for and against).

I respect both views and am doing what I feel is best for my personal use and risk tolerances.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I've read more articles than I can count on whether or not you need protection on a Mac. For me, I have opted to use an antivirus program to augment the built in protection of macOS.

I use Intego Virus Barrier and it does a good job with no performance hit. Their support is very responsive and they have been supporting Macs for years. What I like about Intego is that it has a real time scanner that checks for malware as you open files, rather than having to run a manual scan after the fact.

Ultimately, it is a personal decision you will have to make. On any Mac related forum, you are going to see very strong opinions making both arguments (for and against).

I respect both views and am doing what I feel is best for my personal use and risk tolerances.
Spoken like a true politician.

Fear12

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
US
I use Surfshark VPN and one of the recent updates added a virus scanner. Before that I used the free version of MalwareBytes like @Fishrrman mentioned. Surfshark does an auto quick scan every day but if you go with the free version of MalwareBytes you'll need to remember to manually scan every now and then.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I use Surfshark VPN and one of the recent updates added a virus scanner. Before that I used the free version of MalwareBytes like @Fishrrman mentioned. Surfshark does an auto quick scan every day but if you go with the free version of MalwareBytes you'll need to remember to manually scan every now and then.
You don't have any concerns about allowing this company access to your files? I've always felt like some of the AV companies were a bit sketchy and posed more of a risk. They seemed to be based in Lithuania so not bad unless they have Russian connections then that could be an issue.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
You don't have any concerns about allowing this company access to your files? I've always felt like some of the AV companies were a bit sketchy and posed more of a risk. They seemed to be based in Lithuania so not bad unless they have Russian connections then that could be an issue.
I don't have a problem with it, it's in their best interest to not use anything they see, but really, if you get a virus, then others have access to your files and no reason an AV vendor might have to not spread it everywhere.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Nope. Not remotely worth it. Not only is XProtect build into the OS, but if you look at the definitions for the viruses the malware suites scan for they're windows malware, the macOS malware they do scan for is stuff already in XProtect definitions.

Reactions: MarineBand5524

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
No. AV software on a Mac does indisputable harm and very doubtful help. At best it does about as much as a placebo.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
No. AV software on a Mac does indisputable harm and very doubtful help. At best it does about as much as a placebo.

I think this statement is a bit harsh. There were absolutely some AV packages (such as Norton and Sophos) that did cause system issues or create further vulnerabilities, but I've not heard of MalwareBytes causing such things.

To the OP, a good middle ground may be something like MalwareBytes to use as a scanner only - meaning no constantly running real-time monitoring. I've done that in the past to (1) comply with company policies and (2) check files for Windows-malware.

Honestly though, I haven't used any in a while. I rarely install new applications and when I do they're from trusted developers with a certificate (I use the GateKeeper option for MAS and identified developers). I've disabled "Open Safe Files" in the Safari download preferences and I personally don't torrent or go to any sketchy sites. In the event that a legitimate site or application is compromised, Apple can brick the app by pulling the certificate and update macOS' xProtect system.

For my uses I don't currently see the threat level has high enough where I don't trust my system + Apple to keep up. If it ever comes to the point where there are known malware that are installing themselves and replicating without user knowledge on a wide-scale then I'll reconsider.

Reactions: wilberforce

vjicecool

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
When i visit a particulla discussion board on mac or iphone i get this message
"Dear google use 100, you have won a prize"

I am trying to identify the virus and remove it

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
When i visit a particulla discussion board on mac or iphone i get this message
"Dear google use 100, you have won a prize"

I am trying to identify the virus and remove it
That might be something the discussion board is feeding you, i.e. just a bad ad, but give Malwarebytes a try on your Mac, the trial is free, just let it scan. I've used Malwarebytes on Windows for years on badly jacked up PC's (everyone asks me to fix their PC) and they're the best. Now I use as the only AV on my own machines, Mac's or Windows.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
MalwareBytes has been recommended to you several times in this thread.
It's free.
Why don't you give it a try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.