Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I am confused about the software to use. Please help me

• Bitdefender Total Security

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Avast Premium Security

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Norton 360 Deluxe

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Malwarebytes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Surfshark

• Total AV

• Other

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
What is the best Anti virus / Malware Protection software for silicon Macs, and Macs in general? – is there a clear winner?

Not looking for free (unless it is considered very good-the best), happy to pay, just don't know which to choose, and if it's needed?

Have been running Macs for 35 years and not once bought any software. I think I might have tried Norton way back when it was a free trial or included with some software..

Any advice appreciated

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
There are countless similar threads for this topic.

Nevertheless, a couple of months ago Apple introduced its XProtect Remediator malware protection tool.
It‘s more advanced and updated more frequently than any built-in solution before.
It should be enough unless you depend on detecting Windows based malware.
Personally, I only use Adguard DNS (free) in my router. It blocks ads for all devices in the network and also known trackers and malicious domains.

Last edited:

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Any advice appreciated

First, if you want to do a quick check for malware, the free version of Malwarebytes is a good utility.

Next, I think what you do on an ongoing basis depends on how you use your computer. Some things that would lead me to install an anti-virus package include:

• Sending or receiving files with Windows users
  • Regular downloading of file types that often are virus vectors, such as .pdf, .jpg, .doc, and .xls .
  • Any business use of your machine
  • Frequent use of public Wi-Fi networks

I've used Sophos for many years. While I can't recall it ever finding a virus, the web address filtering function has saved me from potentially dangerous URL typos and search engine clicks many times.

If you're dead set against installing anti-virus software, you can at least run downloads you think are risky through VirusTotal, assuming you have good upstream bandwidth.

www.virustotal.com

----------

Here are some suggestions for managing privacy and security on your computer:

Level 1 (foundation)
  • Anti-virus (I use Sophos)
  • Anti-malware (I use Malwarebytes)
  • Firefox browser with ad blocking and Javascript blocking add-ons (I use AdBlock Plus and NoScript) for general web browsing. I keep Safari relatively stock and only use it with a very small number of trusted websites.

Level 2 (good to have if you don't mind the convenience vs. security tradeoffs)
  • Little Snitch (monitor outgoing Internet connections, essentially a reverse firewall)
  • RansomWhere (anti-ransomware monitor)
  • SilentKnight (utility for easily checking Apple's own security measures in macOS for updates)

Another action you can take is to set up a non-Admin user account for daily use. Then you only need to log-in as an Administrator when you are actively doing troubleshooting, installations, or maintenance tasks (see: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-administrator-account.2327558/post-30700893).

----------

Have a look at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/security-protection-on-mac-how.2308465/post-30660294 and https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...curity-suite-for-macosx.2310577/post-30375113 for more info on X-Protect and MRT, Apple's built-n macOS security software.

----------

Finally, my Mac security strategy is centered around risk management, not predictions of bad actors' behavior. I prefer spending some time up front–and money if justified–to minimize the possibility of having to deal with the fallout of an attacker putting viruses or malware on my computer. I view anti-virus and anti-malware software as a form of insurance. Yes, it sucks that I need it but I feel that having it lets me sleep better than not having it.

Also, we are all human and we make mistakes, especially when we are in a rush, distracted, or tired. Relying on constant vigilance as sole protection requires perfection. I don't think any of us can reach that standard very often, especially with something that is constantly changing and morphing.

Last edited:

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
First, if you want to do a quick check for malware, the free version of Malwarebytes is a good utility.

Next, I think what you do on an ongoing basis depends on how you use your computer. Some things that would lead me to install an anti-virus package include:

• Sending or receiving files with Windows users
  • Regular downloading of file types that often are virus vectors, such as .pdf, .jpg, .doc, and .xls .
  • Any business use of your machine
  • Frequent use of public Wi-Fi networks

I've used Sophos for many years. While I can't recall it ever finding a virus, the web address filtering function has saved me from potentially dangerous URL typos and search engine clicks many times.

If you're dead set against installing anti-virus software, you can at least run downloads you think are risky through VirusTotal, assuming you have good upstream bandwidth.

www.virustotal.com

----------

Here are some suggestions for managing privacy and security on your computer:

Level 1 (foundation)
  • Anti-virus (I use Sophos)
  • Anti-malware (I use Malwarebytes)
  • Firefox browser with ad blocking and Javascript blocking add-ons (I use AdBlock Plus and NoScript) for general web browsing. I keep Safari relatively stock and only use it with a very small number of trusted websites.

Level 2 (good to have if you don't mind the convenience vs. security tradeoffs)
  • Little Snitch (monitor outgoing Internet connections, essentially a reverse firewall)
  • RansomWhere (anti-ransomware monitor)
  • SilentKnight (utility for easily checking Apple's own security measures in macOS for updates)

Another action you can take is to set up a non-Admin user account for daily use. Then you only need to log-in as an Administrator when you are actively doing troubleshooting, installations, or maintenance tasks (see: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-administrator-account.2327558/post-30700893).

----------

Have a look at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/security-protection-on-mac-how.2308465/post-30660294 and https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...curity-suite-for-macosx.2310577/post-30375113 for more info on X-Protect and MRT, Apple's built-n macOS security software.

----------

Finally, my Mac security strategy is centered around risk management, not predictions of bad actors' behavior. I prefer spending some time up front–and money if justified–to minimize the possibility of having to deal with the fallout of an attacker putting viruses or malware on my computer. I view anti-virus and anti-malware software as a form of insurance. Yes, it sucks that I need it but I feel that having it lets me sleep better than not having it.

Also, we are all human and we make mistakes, especially when we are in a rush, distracted, or tired. Relying on constant vigilance as sole protection requires perfection. I don't think any of us can reach that standard very often, especially with something that is constantly changing and morphing.

Thank you!

Reactions: KaliYoni

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I've tested a few for my personal laptop as I do interact a lot with windows users, and connect to a corporate environment. My favourite was BitDefender; all picked up the fake viruses I left on the hard drive, but BitDefender also picked it up inside email where I didn't access the attachment nor had saved it. Can't notice any adverse effects on my m1 mbp...

Reactions: sparkie7

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
I've tested a few for my personal laptop as I do interact a lot with windows users, and connect to a corporate environment. My favourite was BitDefender; all picked up the fake viruses I left on the hard drive, but BitDefender also picked it up inside email where I didn't access the attachment nor had saved it. Can't notice any adverse effects on my m1 mbp...

Thanks=. Just looked it up. It's a subscription payment model :confused: as opposed to one-off payment. What sort of plan do you have (how many devices?)

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Thanks=. Just looked it up. It's a subscription payment model :confused: as opposed to one-off payment. What sort of plan do you have (how many devices?)
I went for Total Security which provides cover for 5 devices. To me it is good value, but also essential as without protection I wouldn't be able to use my own device on our corporate network and then would have to use Windows :)

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
I went for Total Security which provides cover for 5 devices. To me it is good value, but also essential as without protection I wouldn't be able to use my own device on our corporate network and then would have to use Windows :)

How much did it cost you, and was it a first year intro offer, how much for 2nd year etc ?

reallycantcode

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
I am looking for recommendations for antiviruses on Macbook Pros with M1 processors. I am on Ventura and am looking for a new antivirus and was wondering what people's experiences have been like so far? I know there are other threads but they are usually hijacked by "don't need antivirus" or are outdated now.

I normally get a family plan as have a few Windows and Android devices in the household.

I have tried Norton but it is did drain battery a little bit and kept giving lots of Norton spam. I tried bitdefender which drained my battery with energy impact of over 200. I am currently using MalwareBytes to scan every so often.

Please no comments about "no you don't need an antivirus on your Mac as Macs don't get viruses" I am not here to open that discussion. I want an antivirus on here and don't need that opinion

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I am looking for recommendations for antiviruses on Macbook Pros with M1 processors. I am on Ventura and am looking for a new antivirus and was wondering what people's experiences have been like so far? I know there are other threads but they are usually hijacked by "don't need antivirus" or are outdated now.

I normally get a family plan as have a few Windows and Android devices in the household.

I have tried Norton but it is did drain battery a little bit and kept giving lots of Norton spam. I tried bitdefender which drained my battery with energy impact of over 200. I am currently using MalwareBytes to scan every so often.

Please no comments about "no you don't need an antivirus on your Mac as Macs don't get viruses" I am not here to open that discussion. I want an antivirus on here and don't need that opinion
I use and like Malwarebytes, though I use the paid for active scanning. I use it on my PC's as well...

schmegs

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Burbank, CA
I tried out a few. Norton and Sophos slowed things down some, so I ended up with Bitdefender. It seems to work without me even knowing it's there most of the time, so I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.