Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I've been using Macs since 2008 and my computers never got infected.
Serious question, how do you guys get viruses ?
Never
Never
even with 2 MacBooks a mini and during the virus year!

but we can't talk about this according to the O poster

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Never
Never
even with 2 MacBooks a mini and during the virus year!

but we can't talk about this according to the O poster
And it's not just about macOS, you can also pass on viruses to others even when they don't do anything to you. At best that just affects your reputation, but could lead to job losses and worse…

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Be careful what you read on the internets, Tom Hardware is just a platform for selling Clean my Mac,
and not a reliable source of info.
heck even Macworld promotes unnecessary bloatware for Macs as well.

I just hope the original poster received the answer they needed before the this board went astray.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
Be careful what you read on the internets, Tom Hardware is just a platform for selling Clean my Mac,
and not a reliable source of info.
heck even Macworld promotes unnecessary bloatware for Macs as well.

I just hope the original poster received the answer they needed before the this board went astray.
1) There's nothing wrong with CleanMyMac. MacPaw is a reputable company with other well known apps such as The Unarchiver and Gemini.
2) Nowhere in that article about malware on the Mac was an ad for CleanyMyMac, so I'm not sure where that came from, other than your hate for CleanMyMac or the website.
3) Your kind of comment is what leads things astray.

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
it is impossible to "hate" something someone never used or needs
I don't use it either. But I didn't use it as a talking point to try and discredit an article that was simply posting findings from Malwarebytes about the current state of malware on the Mac platform. There was no reason for you to make the comment that you did. The article was not promoting CleanMyMac at all. And the website itself isn't the one that announced the findings. Malwarebytes did. I don't know what point you were trying to make with your post.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I don't use it either. But I didn't use it as a talking point to try and discredit an article that was simply posting findings from Malwarebytes about the current state of malware on the Mac platform. There was no reason for you to make the comment that you did. The article was not promoting CleanMyMac at all. And the website itself isn't the one that announced the findings. Malwarebytes did. I don't know what point you were trying to make with your post.
There are many websites that just aren’t as straight up and straight forward. I can’t stand the whole clean my clone series of applications.

Likewise with an article from avast and bloatware; they are trying to sell bloatware removal software ofcourse its in their interest to have an interesting interpretation.

Anyway antivirus, so many copy cat rebranded softwares out there. Very few proper enterprise class with their own labs left.

Real-time scanning is a must in my experience. Especially e-mail even if you don’t open or access the attachments.

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
There are many websites that just aren’t as straight up and straight forward.
This is true, but I wasn't posting the article to promote Tom's Hardware. I posted it because they were discussing findings by Malwarebytes.

I can’t stand the whole clean my clone series of applications.
I can't either. It's gotten ridiculous. It's infinitely worse on Windows, but the copycat software nonsense has definitely trickled down to macOS recently.

Likewise with an article from avast and bloatware; they are trying to sell bloatware removal software of course its in their interest to have an interesting interpretation.
Except the article I posted wasn't pushing software. It wasn't even pushing Malwarebytes.

Anyway antivirus, so many copy cat rebranded softwares out there. Very few proper enterprise class with their own labs left.

Real-time scanning is a must in my experience. Especially e-mail even if you don’t open or access the attachments.
Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and Malwarebytes are all good as well as a few other mentioned in here. I just don't like that Bitdefender's ransomware feature seems to interfere with the basic functioning of some apps. I know that is partially to blame on the way macOS runs now, but it's still a pain. Real-time protection is definitely a must. I don't like all the bloat some of these apps have now, such as VPNs and digital wallets and password managers and all of that. I just want my anti-virus app to scan for malware, which is why I like Malwarebytes.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Agreed. The VPN services they provide are rubbish, as are the password managers. I attribute no value whatsoever to those services.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
baked in Windows Defender is more than just good enough for most.
not sure how great XProtect really is, it sure could at the very least need some nice manual scanning options though.
of course companies that want to sell you their protection plans for good money will tell you that you will really need them.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
MacOS already provides real time protection against Malware.

It’s not good enough. And as established earlier even it is may find versions affecting macOS. It most definitely doesn’t find those targeting windows for example.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
while we're at it:
are there some lists, resulting from tests for XProtect/MRT that show how many % of malware they are finding, like you can find for most Windows scanners?

A1MB1G

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2020
I'm well aware that if people are careful, there's typically no need for anti-virus or malware protection. However, I do want to implement a solution across my iMac and Macbook Pro. I was thinking of going with MalwareBytes but wondering if any others have a recommendation that is well suited for MacOS?

Looking for something that will protect against viruses, malware and ransomeware. In addition, it would be ideal if it's not a resource hog as well. My understanding is that MalwareBytes and Bitdefender rank highly but I can't trust any of the online website recommendations as many of them are paid to rank certain solution providers higher than others.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
There are reviews which can be trusted. At least just as much as our answers in here. You can't really know if we deliver good answers. - But here is what I do.

I have an iMac and a MacBook and iPhone and iPad. All current models (or last years model). Everything synchronizes (where relevant) via iCloud.

I run Bitdefender and CleanMyMac X on both Macs. Have been doing this for many years now. They work well together and do not take any noticable resourses except when you download stuff which have to be ckecked.

I also have an elderly iPhone 6S running IOS 15. It has enough storage capacity to keep all our important data including 70 GB photos. Important documents and notes are stored in the database-like app "Keep It" which synchronizes data like any Apple app does. So this app also synchronizes to the iPhone 6S. - The 6S is kept totally off-line (and turned off) most of the time. But once a week I turn it on and let everything from iCloud synchronize to this iPhone. Then I take it off-line again. So it cannot be reached by ransomware.

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
Everyone has a take on this. I use a free copy of MalwareBytes and run it once a day. Takes only a minute.
Here is an interesting video from mac Most. i really like this guy. he has a lot of down to earth advice:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asked about MalwareBytes:
"is it available on the mac app store?"

Get MalwareBytes here:
IMPORTANT:
the URL above downloads the "14 day trial version".
At the end of 14 days, you can either:
- pay to register for the "real time protection" version
OR
- convert the "trial" version to the "free" version.

I suggest you do the latter.
The "difference" between the "regular" version and the free version is
- the regular version runs "full time" in the backgroud
WHILE
- the free version runs only when you launch it.

The free version works fine for me.

Reactions: sparkie7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.