Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Anker is a decent brand and is one of the biggest players in the USB battery market.

Side note: any battery larger than roughly 27000mAh runs afoul of the FAA "100 Watt-Hour" limit: https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/f...esources/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf However, note that airlines may allow larger capacity batteries at their discretion (limit: 2). All of these batteries must also be in carry-on luggage.

Reactions: CodeSpyder

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
I went with a few of these, I wanted to go with a known company and I trust Anker products. ~$32/hr of battery seemed more reasonable than apples $100/hr lol

Anker Power Bank, Power IQ 3.0 Portable Charger with PD 30W Max Output (PowerCore 30W), 10,000mAh Battery Pack for iPhone 15/15 Plus/15 Pro/15 Pro Max, MacBook, Dell, Microsoft Surface, and More

The other one I was looking at has the built in usb-c cable for a few dollars more, but I figured I’d save a few bucks and have the flexibility of having a longer cable if needed.

Limited-time deal: Anker Nano Power Bank, 10,000mAh Portable Charger with Built-in USB-C Cable, PD 30W Max Output with 1 USB-C, 1 USB-A, Compatible for iPhone 15/15 Plus/15 Pro/15 Pro Max, MacBook, Galaxy, iPad
Any idea if either of these are approved for TSA?

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I have a power bank but don't know if it can supply the 30W - will this work with the VP ?

Solar Charger 38800mAh Solar Power Bank with Dual 5V3.1A Outputs 10W Qi Wireless Charger Waterproof Built-in Solar Panel and Bright Flashlight​

https://www.amazon.com/35800mAh-Wireless-Waterproof-Flashlights-Compatible/dp/B08BZ83FD1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2R03YRPSXDCOO&keywords=winlove+solar&qid=1706380796&sprefix=winlove+sola,aps,136&sr=8-1&th=1
It doesn't look like it can supply 30W.

• Sad
Reactions: 4sallypat

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I have a power bank but don't know if it can supply the 30W - will this work with the VP ?

Solar Charger 38800mAh Solar Power Bank with Dual 5V3.1A Outputs 10W Qi Wireless Charger Waterproof Built-in Solar Panel and Bright Flashlight​

https://www.amazon.com/35800mAh-Wireless-Waterproof-Flashlights-Compatible/dp/B08BZ83FD1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2R03YRPSXDCOO&keywords=winlove+solar&qid=1706380796&sprefix=winlove+sola,aps,136&sr=8-1&th=1
I believe that's only 15W output. (5V 3.1A)

• Wow
Reactions: 4sallypat

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I wonder how much AVP actually draws under load.
30 watts is a pretty low figure altogether for two 5000 nit (before the pancake lens and duty cycle losses) micro OLEDs, 12 cameras, an unbinned M2 and the R1 which is essentially a GPU plus the eyesight display and extra voltage to spare to make sure the battery also charges.

I would assume halving that would make the battery slowly drain. The device “at idle” is still running twelve cameras and doing quite a bit of calculation unlike a Mac or iOS device.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I'm confused by the difference between mAh and Watt Hours. I'm trying to research the exact limits on planes. For example, here on the FAA Site:

FAA: Lithium Batteries

They don't say anything about 27,000 mAh. Rather, they discuss Watt Hours:

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101–160 Wh) or Lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

But the batteries I've been looking at on Amazon don't tend to mention "watt hours."

What am I missing?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I'm confused by the difference between mAh and Watt Hours. I'm trying to research the exact limits on planes. For example, here on the FAA Site:

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101–160 Wh) or Lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

But the batteries I've been looking at on Amazon don't tend to mention "watt hours."

What am I missing?

It's a calculation that needs to be made. The lithium battery inside is likely 3.7v and 27,000 milliamp hours (mAh). 3.7 volts times the aH rating (27,000maH = 27 Ah) = 99.9 watt hours. Most standard small/medium powerbanks like this are 3.7v with a series of boosters/transformers to increase the voltage when a device needs more.

MacBook Pro internal batteries for example are a bit different. They're also 99.9 Watt Hours but they're 11.45 volts, so their capacity is "only" 8700 mAh. 8.7 amp hours x 11.45 volts = 99.6-ish Wh.

That being said, FAA rules go on to say you can carry up to two batteries larger than that (up to 160wh) in your carry on. I do this all the time with cinema camera batteries and they hardly ever ask (but I have the FAA lithium regs at the ready on my phone). This would allow you a ~43,000mah power bank though I don't recommend getting one that large since it may just be very clunky for use with the AVP.

Reactions: Timo_Existencia

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
That being said, FAA rules go on to say you can carry up to two batteries larger than that (up to 160wh) in your carry on. I do this all the time with cinema camera batteries and they hardly ever ask (but I have the FAA lithium regs at the ready on my phone). This would allow you a ~43,000mah power bank though I don't recommend getting one that large since it may just be very clunky for use with the AVP.

Yeah, this was my question, as it seemed to me that the 160 wh batteries would be larger than 27,000 mAh batteries that have been stated as the limit. But I agree they're likely bulky. What's more, they are limited. As I read it, I could just carry 3 of the 27,000 or smaller batteries, since there are no limits (if I needed that much power).

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL

What am I missing?
Power = Voltage * Current. Power in Watts has units of Volts * Amps. Wh has units of Watts * Hours. Power, in Watts, is also the rate of change of Energy, in Joules, with respect to time. Simply, Power = Delta E / Delta t, or Delta E in Joules = Power * Delta t. So, Wh is a measure of energy.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Yeah, this was my question, as it seemed to me that the 160 wh batteries would be larger than 27,000 mAh batteries that have been stated as the limit.
Yes, 160Wh batteries (assuming 3.7V) are larger-capacity and would be roughly 43,200mAh. That 27,000mAh is just a hair under the FAA default limit of 100Wh. However, for larger batteries, you'd have to somehow get the >100Wh past the TSA, and
  1. I would not assume the TSA would even know the FAA rules.
  2. Good luck convincing them that individual airlines might allow up to 160Wh batteries.
So, to be reasonably safe, stick to 27,000mAh or under batteries. These are not necessarily all that bulky, but they are heavy.

These are also US rules. Does anyone know if there are any international rules, also?

Edit: even 27,000mAh batteries would destroy some international carriers' weight limits for free carry-on baggage (e.g., RyanAir).

Reactions: Timo_Existencia

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
I wonder how much AVP actually draws under load.
All that matters is you do the due diligence of matching Apple’s supplied power brick of 30W. You know for certain they will not give a brick that can’t at least maintain the charge level during use.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I’m baffled by this whole thread.

I haven’t been on a plane* in the last ten or twenty years without power ports at every seat. Why not just plug in with a wall wart? The 30W bricks are tiny. Am I missing g something here?

* I was on an ATR72 w/o power but it was about a 20 minute flight.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021

I haven’t been on a plane* in the last ten or twenty years without power ports at every seat. Why not just plug in with a wall wart? The 30W bricks are tiny. Am I missing g something here?

You’ve never flown Spirit my friend!

I‘ve been on other flights as well where you have to share power between seats, or the outlet is broken. I’ve also been on flights where instead of getting a 110v/240v outlet you get a USB-A port which I can’t see a Vision Pro lasting long on. I treat in-flight power as a bonus if I get it, and am prepared with my battery pack if not.

Reactions: riverfreak

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

I‘ve been on other flights as well where you have to share power between seats, or the outlet is broken. I’ve also been on flights where instead of getting a 110v/240v outlet you get a USB-A port which I can’t see a Vision Pro lasting long on. I treat in-flight power as a bonus if I get it, and am prepared with my battery pack if not.

Even when you do end up with a 110v plug all to yourself, I've found the standard 2-prong Apple chargers to be hit or miss, almost like they don't reach the contacts inside the outlet. I often have to plug a three prong grounded style plug in order for electricity to flow.

I think it's nice to carry an extra 20k mah pack, considering these have abysmal battery life. Another 20,000 brings the total usage time to ~4-4.5 hours including the duration of the main battery which is a nice buffer to have in case you end up in a situation where you can't easily plug in.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon

Excellent points, WingingIt! I defer to your username!

I have an Anker brick that refuses to stay in most plane outlets, too.

Reactions: WingingIt

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002

I live in Guatemala. Many flights to neighboring latin american countries are on smaller planes without power outlets.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015

There are lots of domestic flights that still don’t have power outlets unfortunately. And that’s not limited to the budget airlines.

Reactions: riverfreak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.