Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
That because Apple clearly blocked 3rd party by using weird voltage and amps.
"Weird volages and amps" is not a roadblock. It's only 13V with 6A (max). There are lots of talented EE designers in China and elsewhere, and they won't have any trouble dealing with that.

• Haha
Reactions: sunny5

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
If you lack understanding of technical details and have no interest in learning, which battery pack should you, as a novice, purchase?

I need one for long flights.

Reactions: ckorhonen

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
"Weird volages and amps" is not a roadblock. It's only 13V with 6A (max). There are lots of talented EE designers in China and elsewhere, and they won't have any trouble dealing with that.
Then they are not talented after all.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Hate to be the bearer of bad news. It that maker batter will not charge your avp anywhere close to 5 times. Not even 2 times.
you are incorrect as i have been able to get 4 charges thus far. still have battery capacity left -- can certainly get at least one more -- maybe not the .3 but close to one more charge. buy one cna test yourself.

there is no "bad news" as i dont see myself ever running down one of these packs since i bought 2 -- im just doing this to test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donstil-nl

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Making a whole new port is unnecessary complex and cost more. Totally not logical especially since others are using it well. Beside, USB-C already supports up to 100W without problems. Since it can charge Max MBP without problems, how come it's a problem to use while AVP is only 30W to charge.

"The issue is that 13 volt output is not a standard step voltage and is not supported by USB C PD.3.0." .(@17:26 in the video) ... without an optional PPS"

"Most chargers wouldn't work ... "

To make them work "Apple would need to keep hot mosfets, filters, and more in the headset itself which would add a little more weight and a lot more heat"

By using an external battery it "allows it to accept any voltage you want to throw at it from any charger"

"It's well designed in my opinion"

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
"The issue is that 13 volt output is not a standard step voltage and is not supported by USB C PD.3.0." .(@17:26 in the video) ... without an optional PPS"
13 volt not really hard to achieve it by boosting the voltage. Beside, AVP already have 30W charger and AVP itself use up to 60W.

"Most chargers wouldn't work ... "
USB-C charged Max MBP. Why not Vision Pro then?

To make them work "Apple would need to keep hot mosfets, filters, and more in the headset itself which would add a little more weight and a lot more heat"

By using an external battery it "allows it to accept any voltage you want to throw at it from any charger"

"It's well designed in my opinion"

Using 3x iPhone batteries is well designed? Tell that 36Wh for $200 to 100Wh batteries around or less than $100.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
13 volt not really hard to achieve it by boosting the voltage. Beside, AVP already have 30W charger and AVP itself use up to 60W.

USB-C charged Max MBP. Why not Vision Pro then?

Using 3x iPhone batteries is well designed? Tell that 36Wh for $200 to 100Wh batteries around or less than $100.

More efficient for this particular design and product. It's three laptop cells, in the same configuration every Apple laptop has used them in since 2008. I am glad Apple didn't compromise by designing Vision Pro's battery for anything else except Vision Pro.

Consumers are ridiculously stubborn when it comes to stuff like this and will never be happy. Just because it looks like something, doesn't mean it is. Watch the video.

Also, Max-equipped MBPs are 3x the weight and have tons of power circuitry on board. Even if the AVP battery could charge other devices, making the port a regular old USB-C is a huge mistake if you've owned an AVP. You absolutely do not want an easily-disengaging connector anywhere near the main power source to this device.

• Haha
Reactions: sunny5

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
More efficient for this particular design and product. It's three laptop cells, in the same configuration every Apple laptop has used them in since 2008. I am glad Apple didn't compromise by designing Vision Pro's battery for anything else except Vision Pro.

Consumers are ridiculously stubborn when it comes to stuff like this and will never be happy. Just because it looks like something, doesn't mean it is. Watch the video.

Also, Max-equipped MBPs are 3x the weight and have tons of power circuitry on board. Even if the AVP battery could charge other devices, making the port a regular old USB-C is a huge mistake if you've owned an AVP. You absolutely do not want an easily-disengaging connector anywhere near the main power source to this device.
Not really efficient. Laptops are using slim batteries cause they have to be slim. But why do we need slim batteries for the battery pack? You see, you already failed your own logic.

He is just a guy with assumptions, that's all. Doesn't represent all opinions. Doesn't really justify 36Wh battery for $200.

The battery pack has a larger lighting port with a lock feature. Why not USB-C with a lock feature then? Do you not see the point? Beside, USB-C with a lock is already out a while ago.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Not really efficient. Laptops are using slim batteries cause they have to be slim. But why do we need slim batteries for the battery pack? You see, you already failed your own logic.

He is just a guy with assumptions, that's all. Doesn't represent all opinions. Doesn't really justify 36Wh battery for $200.

The battery pack has a larger lighting port with a lock feature. Why not USB-C with a lock feature then? Do you not see the point? Beside, USB-C with a lock is already out a while ago.

You continue to make no sense. Are you really that bummed that Apple didn't make you a power bank that you wouldn't have bought anyways because of the price? Are you bummed that an Apple accessory costs more than similar objects that it looks like? I don't get the issue you have here. Apple stuff is expensive. Old news.

This is the best solution for powering this product. It is not the best solution for random consumers who want a power bank for some other device or purpose, because they did not want it to be - same way they did not want the Magic Mouse to be used with a cable plugged in. They specifically wanted to discourage that use case, because it takes 15 minutes to charge for months of use.

The amount of physical depth required for a locking USB-C connector would have poor durability either sticking out of the battery increasing the leverage on it (or making the battery even longer to serve a pointless power bank purpose) or sticking out of the side of the headset ready to catch on all sorts of things. The cable and battery get knocked around and moved far more than your Mac charger does.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
You continue to make no sense. Are you really that bummed that Apple didn't make you a power bank that you wouldn't have bought anyways because of the price? Are you bummed that an Apple accessory costs more than similar objects that it looks like? I don't get the issue you have here. Apple stuff is expensive. Old news.

This is the best solution for powering this product. It is not the best solution for random consumers who want a power bank for some other device or purpose, because they did not want it to be - same way they did not want the Magic Mouse to be used with a cable plugged in. They specifically wanted to discourage that use case, because it takes 15 minutes to charge for months of use.

The amount of physical depth required for a locking USB-C connector would have poor durability either sticking out of the battery increasing the leverage on it (or making the battery even longer to serve a pointless power bank purpose) or sticking out of the side of the headset ready to catch on all sorts of things. The cable and battery get knocked around and moved far more than your Mac charger does.
13V 6A is already a great proof that Apple didnt wanna let users to pick their own battery. Apple is not just expensive, they made them expensive without second thoughts. Clearly, Apple is not smart after all.

There are way more powerful batteries with more space. What do you not understand? $200 for 36Wh? Give me a break.

The only difference is the connector design, That's all. Why is it so difficult to understand? Apple did not have to use their own and yet they did.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
i was able to put 30w and 60w into the avp with the anker prime...
126321.jpeg

Attachments

• 1516.jpeg
    1516.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 36
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.