Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVP_NEWB

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2024
Folks have touched on this, but I thought summarizing it directly might help(I'm dusting off my physics minor here):

3000 mAH means: You can pull 3000 mA out of the battery for one hour, and then it's dead.

The problem is that mA is meaningless without volts.

The amount of usable energy that can be pulled from a battery needs to be measured in watt hours. There's an equation for watts:

Watts = Amps(mA in this case) x Volts (to get from watts to watt hours, you just multiply by the number of hours that the battery can support those amps for. So a 1 volt battery that can support 1 amp for 1 hour, is a one-watt-hour battery. A 1 volt battery that can support 1 amp for 5 hours, is a 5 watt-hour-battery)

As an example:

Let's say a battery (#1) can support 3000 mA for 1 hour at 5 volts. (15 watt hours) A second battery (#2) can support 3000 mA for 1 hour at 10 volts, which supplies twice as much energy (30 watt hours). Conversely, if the voltage goes down: a battery (#3) that goes dead after 3000 mA for 1 hour at 1 volt can only supply 1/5 the energy (3 watt hours) of battery #1.

I know I'm repeating myself: mAH is meaningless without volts. 3000mAH at 120 volts is a lot of power (in this context anyway). 3000mAH at .5 volts is very little power at all. Same mAH, but very different stored energy. If you want to compare the usable energy in different batteries, you have to figure out what the watt hours are.

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
Just an idea that popped up; can you use the AVP battery to charge an iPhone?

Also a tip for anyone interested, there are bicycle lights that charge via USB and double as powerbanks by reversing the direction of charge.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022

Also a tip for anyone interested, there are bicycle lights that charge via USB and double as powerbanks by reversing the direction of charge.
No I have a spare and the usb c goes one way

Reactions: curnalpanic

AVP_NEWB

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2024
I've only had this thing for ~ 20 hours, but I'm already squarely in the "this is the future of computing" camp on the AVP. The experience is incredible.

However... the battery life definitely leaves much to be desired...

I'm going to be looking for a portable power bank. Clearly it will need significant capacity to keep this thing going for a day at a time. Does anyone have recommendations?

Reactions: G5isAlive

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
The battery seemed to really drain overnight for me. I charged it to 100% at about 10PM.

Just went to use it a little while ago at 11:30AM and it was around 36%.

I left the cable attached to VP overnight but I was under the impression it would be mostly in a sleep state.

Reactions: dannynjoni

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
The problem is that mA is meaningless without volts.

A layman’s way of thinking about it is to imagine if you have a lake that’s some height above the ground, and there’s a waterfall from the lake that powers a dam / generator.

Intuitively, the higher the lake is from the ground, the more energy the water will have when it falls to the ground.

Charge (mAh) is the amount of water in the lake.

Voltage (V) is the height of the water from the ground.

Most “lakes” (power banks) are at the same height from the ground, so it started becoming common to just list the amount of water (charge) in the lake as a measure of how much energy, but the proper measure of energy must take into account both the amount of water in the lake (Ah) and the height from the ground (V)

Reactions: HDFan

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
The battery seemed to really drain overnight for me. I charged it to 100% at about 10PM.

Just went to use it a little while ago at 11:30AM and it was around 36%.

I left the cable attached to VP overnight but I was under the impression it would be mostly in a sleep state.

Per Apple, they recommend leaving it plugged in when not in use so it’s always charged when you’re ready to use it. If untouched for 24 hours it will turn totally off.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif

Nope, the USB-C port is charge input only.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Apple's official instructions to turn off the Vision Pro:

Do any of the following:
  • Press and hold the top button and the Digital Crown, then drag the slider.
  • Go to Settings
    094f5bd25ac730d185fd128b01c6f2b2.png
    > General > Shut Down, then drag the slider.
  • Say, “Siri, turn off my Apple Vision Pro.”
  • Take off Apple Vision Pro, place it on a secure surface (like a table or desk), then disconnect the power cable from the Audio Strap.

With regards to battery charging speeds, I just realized it's literally written on the bottom of the battery.

• 5-20.3 Volts
  • 3.3 Amperes MAX
So this means the maximum input power to the battery is 67W (whether or not it is connected to the AVP) - just make sure any power bank you buy supports 20V input and around 65W-67W output and you're good.

Reactions: gerald.d

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
Well, it's too clear that Apple did not want Vision Pro to be charged with 3rd party battery.

Last edited:

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
Can someone recommend a good battery that can keep the Apple Vision Pro charged?

It's not necessary to recharge frequently; maintaining the Vision Pro battery at a consistent level is also fine.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I'm going to be looking for a portable power bank. Clearly it will need significant capacity to keep this thing going for a day at a time. Does anyone have recommendations?
Any modern USB battery that supports USB power delivery with at least 30W output should work (people have reported that the disconnected AVP battery can use can use up to 60W+, but seems to use only 30W when connected). Anker batteries have become something of a name brand in the USB battery world.
3rd parties on Amazon sell cases for these. Note that all external batteries are heavy.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
mAH is a unit of charge. It is not a unit of energy.

Please stop using it as a unit of energy, 1AH across devices is not equivalent in terms of energy storage. This is high school physics, it’s incredibly annoying how many people have been duped by marketing to think m(AH) is an accurate way to measure battery capacity.
Correct.

Like my EV that has a 72,000 Watt battery.:eek:

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Am successful in charging the battery on the avp with the anker prime 27650K battery. Also according to the anker app for this model power bank, based on the mAh of the avp battery, it can charge it just a bit over 5 times with a 100% battery.

the avp battery was plugged up to the goggles for about 8 hours in the puffy bag case in standby, so some battery power was deleted -- i just don't know how much. when i plugged up the power bank to it, it was about 26w going into it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 19.51.59.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 19.51.59.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 19.43.01.jpeg.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 19.43.01.jpeg.png
    116 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: gerald.d

jb502

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Am successful in charging the battery on the avp with the anker prime 27650K battery. Also according to the anker app for this model power bank, based on the mAh of the avp battery, it can charge it just a bit over 5 times with a 100% battery.

the avp battery was plugged up to the goggles for about 8 hours in the puffy bag case in standby, so some battery power was deleted -- i just don't know how much. when i plugged up the power bank to it, it was about 26w going into it

the avp battery was plugged up to the goggles for about 8 hours in the puffy bag case in standby, so some battery power was deleted -- i just don't know how much. when i plugged up the power bank to it, it was about 26w going into it.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news. It that maker batter will not charge your avp anywhere close to 5 times. Not even 2 times.

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021

It seems Apple intentionally blocked 3rd party battery by using its own port design, set higher voltage+amp, and using 30W charger despite using 3x iPhone batteries.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
It seems Apple intentionally blocked 3rd party battery by using its own port design, set higher voltage+amp, and using 30W charger despite using 3x iPhone batteries.
"Intentionally"??

That's barely a speed bump for USB battery makers. I'm sure there are multiple manufacturers planning on making AVP-compatible batteries. The design is likely from Apple trying to lower costs while providing a yank-resistant connector. Why use relatively expensive USB Power Delivery electronics when they're not needed at all? The connector is likely due to not wanting to use an easily-disconnected connector like USB C (but Apple might get in trouble for not providing an emergency breakaway feature with their design).

That "30W" charging is Apple just being cheap again. There's no conspiracy here. Like the ancient (and slow and cheap) 5W chargers that came with ancient iPhones, that 30W charger appears to be the lowest-power charger that Apple can get away with. Please note that the battery can use up to a 60-65W charger. Apple is only providing a 30W charger because it's cheap.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

They didn't do this to "intentionally block" third party batteries. It's much, much better for heat and overall efficiency to use a 11.4v setup (like every single modern MacBook shipped) than to try and make a glorified Anker power bank. Apple is designing the best power system for the Apple Vision Pro, not some modular battery bank for all your random devices. It would have been a sacrifice for this thing to use more common 3.7v setup with voltage boosters. Apple is treating this the same as they treat their internal batteries and you should too.

It's not as simple as calling it "3x iPhone batteries" - in that case, my MacBook Pro 16 uses "6x iPhone batteries" - that's just what batteries look like. They're wiring them in series, not parallel, because they need the voltage. If they had made it a USB-C port on the battery, the battery then has to be designed to work like a regular power bank for other devices, most of which will malfunction when exposed to 11.4 volts. It's not Apple's job to design you a general purpose power bank - it's Apple's job to fold up a MacBook Air M2 battery, retain the exact voltage, and use it for AVP whose specs are very close to the MBA M2.
macbook-pro-teardown-1.jpg

Reactions: TLewis

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
They didn't do this to "intentionally block" third party batteries. It's much, much better for heat and overall efficiency to use a 11.4v setup (like every single modern MacBook shipped) than to try and make a glorified Anker power bank. Apple is designing the best power system for the Apple Vision Pro, not some modular battery bank for all your random devices. It would have been a sacrifice for this thing to use more common 3.7v setup with voltage boosters. Apple is treating this the same as they treat their internal batteries and you should too.

It's not as simple as calling it "3x iPhone batteries" - in that case, my MacBook Pro 16 uses "6x iPhone batteries" - that's just what batteries look like. They're wiring them in series, not parallel, because they need the voltage. If they had made it a USB-C port on the battery, the battery then has to be designed to work like a regular power bank for other devices, most of which will malfunction when exposed to 11.4 volts. It's not Apple's job to design you a general purpose power bank - it's Apple's job to fold up a MacBook Air M2 battery, retain the exact voltage, and use it for AVP whose specs are very close to the MBA M2. View attachment 2346835
It's just 3x iPhone batteries. Do you know what 3rd party batteries are using? They are using bigger battery cells.

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
"Intentionally"??

That's barely a speed bump for USB battery makers. I'm sure there are multiple manufacturers planning on making AVP-compatible batteries. The design is likely from Apple trying to lower costs while providing a yank-resistant connector. Why use relatively expensive USB Power Delivery electronics when they're not needed at all? The connector is likely due to not wanting to use an easily-disconnected connector like USB C (but Apple might get in trouble for not providing an emergency breakaway feature with their design).

That "30W" charging is Apple just being cheap again. There's no conspiracy here. Like the ancient (and slow and cheap) 5W chargers that came with ancient iPhones, that 30W charger appears to be the lowest-power charger that Apple can get away with. Please note that the battery can use up to a 60-65W charger. Apple is only providing a 30W charger because it's cheap.

It is intentionally. How come Apple did not use USB-C with lock feature while the battery pack used a lighting port with lock feature? The lock feature is not even new and when I saw it in person, it looks like a normal port that USB-C can easily replace. Beside, it also blocks using way better batteries when VP's power is only 36Wh at $200.

Up to 60~65W is a theoretical power consumption. Even MacBook Pro does not use all 100W.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
It is intentionally. How come Apple did not use USB-C with lock feature while the battery pack used a lighting port with lock feature? The lock feature is not even new and when I saw it in person, it looks like a normal port that USB-C can easily replace. Beside, it also blocks using way better batteries when VP's power is only 36Wh at $200.

Up to 60~65W is a theoretical power consumption. Even MacBook Pro does not use all 100W.
It's just 3x iPhone batteries. Do you know what 3rd party batteries are using? They are using bigger battery cells.

I can get my MBP to consume over 100W globally pretty easily. Third party power banks are not using 11.4v setups.

And you're right: Apple intentionally did not design a power bank. They designed the best battery for AVP without having to consider the intricacies of making the battery be usable with every random device on the planet. You are not supposed to buy more $200 AVP batteries. You're supposed to plug power in as if it were a MacBook or iPhone.

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
I can get my MBP to consume over 100W globally pretty easily. Third party power banks are not using 11.4v setups.

And you're right: Apple intentionally did not design a power bank. They designed the best battery for AVP without having to consider the intricacies of making the battery be usable with every random device on the planet. You are not supposed to buy more $200 AVP batteries. You're supposed to plug power in as if it were a MacBook or iPhone.
That because Apple clearly blocked 3rd party by using weird voltage and amps. It's M2 + R1 and it does not consume a lot of power as you can easily charge 30W charger.

Battery is battery and they are way better than what AVP provides. By using a weird voltage and amp does not make it special. There are even 3rd party batteries which can easily charge Max MBP without problems. How come it's difficult to charge AVP then?

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
How come Apple did not use USB-C with lock feature while the battery pack used a lighting port with lock feature?
Using a standard USB C connector would imply that the port is really a USB C port (never underestimate the stupidity of users). If Apple made it work like a USB C port, that would add unnecessary complexity and cost (going from the battery to the AVP, there is no need for a complicated Power Delivery protocol). If Apple simply used the USB C connector form factor but did not use the USB C electrical connections and protocols, they'd run into the stupid user problem.

Apple had to use some kind of different connector, and they chose to use something that looks like a lightning connector, probably because they're familiar with it.

It is not a theoretical maximum. People have measured 60+W going from the charger to a disconnected AVP battery. It does not always use 60+W, of course. The amount of drawn power naturally depends upon the battery's charge level.

• Haha
Reactions: sunny5

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
Using a standard USB C connector would imply that the port is really a USB C port (never underestimate the stupidity of users). If Apple made it work like a USB C port, that would add unnecessary complexity and cost (going from the battery to the AVP, there is no need for a complicated Power Delivery protocol). If Apple simply used the USB C connector form factor but did not use the USB C electrical connections and protocols, they'd run into the stupid user problem.

Apple had to use some kind of different connector, and they chose to use something that looks like a lightning connector, probably because they're familiar with it.
what makes it unnecessary complexity and cost? It's a standard. Making a whole new port is unnecessary complex and cost more. Totally not logical especially since others are using it well. Beside, USB-C already supports up to 100W without problems. Since it can charge Max MBP without problems, how come it's a problem to use while AVP is only 30W to charge.

It is not a theoretical maximum. People have measured 60+W going from the charger to a disconnected AVP battery. It does not always use 60+W, of course. The amount of drawn power naturally depends upon the battery's charge level.
You said it to yourself, it does not always use 60W which is theoretical. I have M1 Max MBP and when I played RE4 at max set up, it only used 50~60W while the computer itself can use up to 100W.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.