Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Is there any more news on current sales?
A long running tech podcast I listened to last week said that their contacts were reporting about 1 device a week being actually sold in some Apple stores.

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
Vision Pro
"Leading enterprise companies have been investing in Vision Pro, and Apple is seeing it used for things like aircraft engine maintenance, real-time collaboration for racing, and immersive kitchen design. Cook said that Apple "couldn't be more excited about the spatial computing opportunity in enterprise."

This is a great proof that Vision Pro's sale is dramatically low. Otherwise, how come they are mentioning B2B or Enterprise markets while Vision Pro was never meant for B2B, not mentioning any single word on Vision Pro's profit, and not clear with the sale? Beside, Apple is extremely more consumer friendly company, not B2B and enterprise markets. Since they never mentioned anything about AVP's sale, it's just too obvious.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
One of the (many) problems I've been having with the Vision Pro is that it's not a Minimum Viable Product. It's full of bells, whistles, and flashy things that aren't needed in a first generation product. For example, there's:

Eye sight (I think that's what it's called, where there's eyes on the front visors)
The cameras that allow hand tracking
The ability to take 3D pictures
LiDAR Scanner (for what purpose?)
Iris‑based biometric authentication

My opinion: Gut it.

People value the following things from Apple:
- Ability to have multiple displays
- The ability to view 3D content
- Privacy

Make a strip down version called Apple Vision:
- 2x virtual displays
- Requires an Apple keyboard and mouse, and laptop/ desktop.
- Ability to view 3D content
- No eyesight

Target it to people who want privacy with their monitors and people who live in small spaces who can't physically have large monitors. Sell it for $999.99 and I think it'll fly off the shelves.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
LiDAR Scanner (for what purpose?)
They are there to enable hand tracking. But if you don't want hand tracking, then I suppose you don't need them.

I do see your point that adding hand tracking makes the device much more complicated and expensive. But no hand tracking means we have to use some other form of input device -- mouse, keyboard, control pad -- to interact with it. If I need a mouse and keyboard, I'd rather go sit at my desk. Without hand tracking, I don't think I'd be as interested in a monitor I wear on my head.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
They are there to enable hand tracking. But if you don't want hand tracking, then I suppose you don't need them.

I do see your point that adding hand tracking makes the device much more complicated and expensive. But no hand tracking means we have to use some other form of input device -- mouse, keyboard, control pad -- to interact with it. If I need a mouse and keyboard, I'd rather go sit at my desk. Without hand tracking, I don't think I'd be as interested in a monitor I wear on my head.
It’s not just hand tracking, it’s constantly mapping and remapping the space you’re in. You can only do that to a point with regular cameras.

Reactions: Delgibbons

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London

Isn’t it used for collision avoidance as well? And for mapping the room for AR stuff? Surely it works in a similar vein the quest 3 but perhaps even more advanced given the price tag!

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Target it to people who want privacy with their monitors and people who live in small spaces who can't physically have large monitors. Sell it for $999.99 and I think it'll fly off the shelves.

Yeah man instead of demanding that everyone should have affordable housing and a comfortable amount of space so that they can have a large screen and a bed, we really need to make sure ultra rich shareholders and landlords squeeze people into matchbox size homes and force them to buy ski goggles.

Yeah no solutions just exacerbate the problems. Megalord capitalism number wan.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Yeah man instead of demanding that everyone should have affordable housing and a comfortable amount of space so that they can have a large screen and a bed, we really need to make sure ultra rich shareholders and landlords squeeze people into matchbox size homes and force them to buy ski goggles.

Yeah no solutions just exacerbate the problems. Megalord capitalism number wan.
How you drew that conclusion from the post from @JustAnExpat is going to be a mystery to everyone

Reactions: kc9hzn and Eallan

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
How you drew that conclusion from the post from @JustAnExpat is going to be a mystery to everyone
It's also a rather American thing to assume everyone can have large enough rooms to accommodate multiple oversized monitors, if only wealth was distributed more equitably. Many countries don't have enough habitable landmass for that, even if the space was evenly distributed among every citizen.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Yeah man instead of demanding that everyone should have affordable housing and a comfortable amount of space so that they can have a large screen and a bed, we really need to make sure ultra rich shareholders and landlords squeeze people into matchbox size homes and force them to buy ski goggles
My advice would be to start traveling the world, and living in other countries, especially places like Hong Kong, Tokyo, Thailand, etc., as a local - if possible. It would be a very eye opening experience for you.

Should condos/ apartments be bigger, with more space? Absolutely! But that'll take decades (or maybe generations) to change, not something that will happen in years.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
It's also a rather American thing to assume everyone can have large enough rooms to accommodate multiple oversized monitors, if only wealth was distributed more equitably. Many countries don't have enough habitable landmass for that, even if the space was evenly distributed among every citizen.
Heck, there are even places in the US where that’s the case. NYC comes immediately to mind, the city itself is literally three islands (well, two islands and the westernmost quarter of a third) and a peninsula.

Edit: Not to forget people who specifically choose to live in smaller places (tiny houses, yachts, RVs, cabins) or people who just flat out don’t see the value in a 70”+ TV monitor (a bigger screen doesn’t make the terrible shows on it any easier to watch!).

Reactions: Night Spring

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
If I was a fan of AVP, this video would really worry me. Apple does not do niche industries or work for businesses. Then again though, I did read on Daring Fireballs (I think that's the site) that Sharp was only able to make 800K of the lenses, so only 400K AVP can be made. If supply and demand is true, increase the price as high as possible to sell 400K of them.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Medical applications have been the only genuinely revolutionary use of the AVP that I've seen so far. Maybe they'll make a ton of money with this in the medical industry. This isn't the first time this has been used for surgery.
If I was a fan of AVP, this video would really worry me. Apple does not do niche industries or work for businesses. Then again though, I did read on Daring Fireballs (I think that's the site) that Sharp was only able to make 800K of the lenses, so only 400K AVP can be made. If supply and demand is true, increase the price as high as possible to sell 400K of them.
It’s not niche, like I said it’s beginning, and Apple isn’t even selling in other countries. I see AVP as a headphones for vision with a built in computer. I personally could use a AVP on the road as productivity and entertainment device.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
It’s not niche, like I said it’s beginning, and Apple isn’t even selling in other countries. I see AVP as a headphones for vision with a built in computer. I personally could use a AVP on the road as productivity and entertainment device.
It may not be "niche" in that the potential is there for many applications, but we just haven't seen them yet.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
This application does not need most of the AVP features. There is nothing VR, AR or spatial computing about it. In this case, AVP is used as a screen attached to your face. It serves the purpose, but a way simpler device with high resolution would do just fine. In fact, just a big monitor would probably work just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.