Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Why is any one surprised. I bought Original AW which cost me 400+ bucks. It had limitations but not too expensive to try and work through first gen issues. Anything over 1500 isn’t worth then gen 1 product for my taste. If AVP 2.0 comes along with more features and enhancements I will probably get it. If I am spending anything over 2 K, I am expecting it to last at least 5-8 years.

Reactions: JustAnExpat

dypeterc

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012
Apple first gen products always have naysayers. It's always "it's too expensive" and "not practical."

iMac (no floppy!)
iPod (no external memory, the interface)
iPhone ($500 for a phone?!?!??!)
iPad (it's just a big iPhone but no camera!)
Apple TV (so expensive and no content)
AirPods (so expensive for wireless earbuds, they look weird)
Apple Watch (battery doesn't even last the day)
Vision Pro (expensive, battery life, use case)

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Apple first gen products always have naysayers. It's always "it's too expensive" and "not practical."

iMac (no floppy!)
All, except the obvious one, were convenient and easy to use. But for one, none caused a bad hair day or a painful / sensitive skin for many users. And only one in this list makes the user look rather odd and geeky instead of being the 'cool kid'. 7 made the life of the average consumer easier. And finally: 7 of them had clear utility instead of trying to find a problem to solve.

Only one is a tech experiment.

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021

iMac (no floppy!)
You are totally ignoring the fact that the consumer AR/VR markets are still not successful for several years. Beside, consumer AR/VR devices are still in question if it really needed or not cause even Meta is still failing the VR market despite selling more than 30 million devices.

At least your examples that you brought are already either successful or settled from other platforms.
- iMac is a computer. If you say all in one, then there are
- iPod was popular as a music player just like others
- iPhone is just an extension of smartphone which is already available way before iPhone released
- iPad is still in question and yet bigger version of iPhone
- Apple TV still suffers from lack of contents which is not even new as others like Netflix already existed
- AirPods and Apple Watch like products were also available before they even released.

But Vision Pro is completely in a different position among others as the future is totally not sure as people dont wanna wear a heavy stuff on their face and even then, the usage is totally limited. If you think advanced techs will solve the problem but guess what? nobody really wish to wear this and doesn't really distinguish from others such as Mac and iPhone.

Last edited:

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019

iMac (no floppy!)
Let's read the reviews during the time.

The iMac received good reviews from MacWorld. They believed (and right so) it was going to be a hit. Source: https://www.macworld.com/article/190458/original_imac.html

The iPod received good reviews, and external memory wasn't an issue. Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/24/...s-an-easier-to-use-portable-music-player.html

The iPhone's complaints were the phone call quality, not the price. Source: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/apple-iphone-review/

The iPad's camera was not mentioned as a problem in some of the reviews I read. Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2010/04/ipad-review/18/

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
You are totally ignoring the fact that the consumer AR/VR markets are still not successful for several years. Beside, consumer AR/VR devices are still in question if it really needed or not cause even Meta is still failing the VR market despite selling more than 30 million devices.

At least iMac is a computer, iPod was popular as a music player just like others, iPhone is just an extension of smartphone which is already available before iPhone released, iPad is still in question and yet bigger version of iPhone, Apple TV still suffers from lack of contents, AirPods and Apple Watch were also available before they even released.

But Vision Pro is completely in a different position among others as the future is totally not sure as people dont wanna wear a heavy stuff on their face and even then, the usage is totally limited. If you think advanced techs will solve the problem but guess what? nobody really wish to wear this and doesn't really distinguish from others such as Mac and iPhone.
I agree. The AR/VR *consumer* market will not be successful in my lifetime. It's the lack of purpose that doesn't exist. There's no reason at all for this device to exist, and the reason for purchasing it isn't being made clear by Apple.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Vision Pro is a miserable failure.

- Apple set out to make a great AR product and couldn't, so their CEO decided to ship the POC device that was being used to build the software...something no engineer inside Apple ever intended.

- Tim Cook has been running pricing experiments for years to see what people are willing to pay for and they have all succeeded brilliantly, beyond anyone's expectations. The iPhone XS, the iPhone 12, the iPhone 14 Pro, and more. Vision Pro was his ultimate gambit, and it failed miserably.

- Less than 500k units have been sold to date, and a large chunk of that includes the only people actually interested in it. Steady ongoing sales appear to be almost non-existent, which means this is a one off. Right now I highly doubt that a version 2 is going to happen.

- The only Apple hardware in 20 years that I can think of that is actually objectionable. Something no one anywhere actually wants to use. Rather, the few people tolerate it in order get that software experience. When you're using hardware in spite of it, not because of it, it's already a failure with no real future.
The original Macintosh was also a failure. The Board fired Steve Jobs over it (one of the greatest mistakes in business history).
Steve Jobs’ NeXT computer was also a failure. But we all know what happened.

I don’t know whether Apple Vision will wildly succeed or not. But I do know the technology is still very nascent and it will be a few more years until it is small and affordable enough to generate high volume sales. I don’t think anyone thought the current gen product would be a runaway best-seller.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
AR/VR not really a mass adopted product category so I don't think it's a failure or a success. I suppose it's innovative in the sense that Apple wasn't making them but it's really just another take on the AR/VR headset bandwagon that has been around for years.

I wish they gone into hologram watches 😔

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Do you think Apple will kill it's current plans to launch the Vision Pro in other countries?

We all know how the USA is Apple's BIGGEST Fan-Base, and where people have the most disposable income generally.
If something does not sell great in the place that it has the best chance of. Then what about elsewhere?

Would Apple prefer simply to cancel plans to release elsewhere, than to have yet more and more headlines about how it launched in X country and the sales are even worse there, adding to the negativity?

Perhaps waiting till they can either drop the price of the current model or make it far better before risking a bad release outside of the USA?

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
The original Macintosh was also a failure. The Board fired Steve Jobs over it (one of the greatest mistakes in business history).
Steve Jobs’ NeXT computer was also a failure. But we all know what happened.
Check Apple's history. Steve was fired for being a class A jerk who used to call meeting at 11PM, and did power plays against the CEO with the boardroom.

It had nothing to do with the Lisa or Mac not being successful.

Source: https://www.thecorporategovernancei...why-did-apples-board-fire-steve-jobs-in-1985/

Reactions: turbineseaplane

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
and where people have the most disposable income generally.
If something does not sell great in the place that it has the best chance of.
I disagree. I think Asia, especially Thailand, Cambodia, Lao, the people have a lot of disposable income. $4,000 for a new toy is nothing to them.

(Of course, the gulf between the rich and the poor is very huge, but there's a large population there that can afford the AVP easily).

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I would not be surprised if we will never see a gen2. Apple is now into AI. 3D must work w/o glasses/helmet as the death of 3D TVs told us.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I would not be surprised if we will never see a gen2. Apple is now into AI. 3D must work w/o glasses/helmet as the death of 3D TVs told us.
Apple's been into AI for a very long time, they just haven't been calling it AI.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Check Apple's history. Steve was fired for being a class A jerk who used to call meeting at 11PM, and did power plays against the CEO with the boardroom.

It had nothing to do with the Lisa or Mac not being successful.

Source: https://www.thecorporategovernancei...why-did-apples-board-fire-steve-jobs-in-1985/

Allow me to quote your article: “Jobs clashed with Sculley after two new products — the Lisa and the Macintosh — failed to live up to sales expectations.“

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
This is a counter to the other thread to set a few facts straight:

The Vision Pro is Apple’s first real attempt to create a product category rather than just define it. This is what I would call ‘Classic Sony’.

The Vision Pro retails for the same cost as a Mac Studio and as such is aimed at a similar customer base: industry, devs and early adopters.

Looking at the Mac Studio for a second, Apple sold 22m Macs last year, of which 90% were laptops. This means it sold 2.2m desktops. The Mac Studio makes up 1% of sales meaning it sold 220k last year worldwide.

The Vision Pro, a device in the same niche product category has sold 400k units in the space of 3 months after only being available in one territory.

So to summarise the ‘failed’ Vision Pro has done double the annual sales of its nearest comparatively priced Apple product in a quarter of the time.

These numbers are also very good for a device that has no real use case yet and is still finding its feet. It is still waiting for a software update to let you download mp3s onto it.
Looking towards sales figures of one of the most over-hyped tech products in the last ten years as a marker of success is such a weak argument:

I'd challenge you to find a single review or opinion that explains a particular a clear-cut use case or workflow that Vision Pro offers that can obviously only be done on Vision Pro and that justifies the $3499 price tag.

Am I typing, am I editing video, am I browsing the web, am I doing virtual meetings, am I playing games, watching movies, listening to music, fake petting a not-very-convincing dinosaur?

Exactly what are AVP owners doing in their AVP's that I should be jealous that I can't do on my Mac, iPhone, iPad, or any other computer?

Like who is getting more from spending $3499 on AVP over spending the same or less on a Mac or any other computer and a great monitor?

What obvious benefit is there to gain from going with AVP over other computers and headsets?

What can I do now on AVP that I can't on any other product, what app/thing/feature/spec makes it a must-have?

I only see AVP as a decent way to "carry" a high quality home cinema sized display with you on the go.

But even at that, at its price, weight, and with the very inconvenient battery pack keeping you tethered, it's not a great "home cinema - on-the-go" solution.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2022
Looking towards sales figures of one of the most over-hyped tech products in the last ten years as a marker of success is such a weak argument:

I'd challenge you to find a single review or opinion that explains a particular a clear-cut use case or workflow that Vision Pro offers that can obviously only be done on Vision Pro and that justifies the $3499 price tag.

Am I typing, am I editing video, am I browsing the web, am I doing virtual meetings, am I playing games, watching movies, listening to music, fake petting a not-very-convincing dinosaur?

Exactly what are AVP owners doing in their AVP's that I should be jealous that I can't do on my Mac, iPhone, iPad, or any other computer?

Like who is getting more from spending $3499 on AVP over spending the same or less on a Mac or any other computer and a great monitor?

What obvious benefit is there to gain from going with AVP over other computers and headsets?

What can I do now on AVP that I can't on any other product, what app/thing/feature/spec makes it a must-have?

I only see AVP as a decent way to "carry" a high quality home cinema sized display with you on the go.

But even at that, at its price, weight, and with the very inconvenient battery pack keeping you tethered, it's not a great "home cinema - on-the-go" solution.
Whilst I cannot conceive of what others might use it for, in my lab space at work I could load up a 3D model of a piece of equipment that lets me take it apart for repairs like an interactive LEGO manual. I could leave floating windows over different experiments that bother nobody else but are personal to me. I can throw a giant monitor over my desk and it would sit there all day, bothering nobody. I can walk through a 1:1 student CAD model and offer feedback in real time. I can slot that same architectural model into its real life site at 1:1 and see how it looks within its actual surroundings. I can isolate myself in another place on the plant when I need to work without distraction, bothering nobody. I can watch back spatial videos of experiments, allowing me to see more of the action. I can sit in a room with people from Autodesk on the other side of the world and share my lab view, my screen and brainstorm as if we were all there in the same room. I can take off the headset and have a visible practical barrier between my break times and my work.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I use mine for coding and video editing.
I wish I knew how you and others could stand doing this. I have a XDR on my desk which I love. I tried the AVP for the two week period when it first came out and the noticeably (for me) poor resolution of the virtual display drove my eyes insane. After returning it, I even had a thought that maybe I needed glasses and this was no fault of the Vision Pro, so I had my eyes checked for the first time in ~20 years. Perfect vision, no glasses needed. I was incredibly disappointed in the screen quality, especially passthrough. I did spend about two hours at the apple store trying all sorts of seals to no avail. I envy those who think the displays are great, I am sure its an incredible experience.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I can walk through a 1:1 student CAD model and offer feedback in real time. I can slot that same architectural model into its real life site at 1:1 and see how it looks within its actual surroundings.

My gut feeling is that using a computer for CAD modeling is very very niche, all things considered. Are there any CAD programs for MacOS anyway? I don't think AutoCAD exist for Mac.

If Apple Vision Pro works for you, and you get value out of it, enjoy it :)

Reactions: Piggie

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2022
My gut feeling is that using a computer for CAD modeling is very very niche, all things considered. Are there any CAD programs for MacOS anyway? I don't think AutoCAD exist for Mac.

If Apple Vision Pro works for you, and you get value out of it, enjoy it :)
Pretty much the whole Autodesk suite (although strangely not Revit)

Reactions: JustAnExpat

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I wish I knew how you and others could stand doing this. I have a XDR on my desk which I love. I tried the AVP for the two week period when it first came out and the noticeably (for me) poor resolution of the virtual display drove my eyes insane. After returning it, I even had a thought that maybe I needed glasses and this was no fault of the Vision Pro, so I had my eyes checked for the first time in ~20 years. Perfect vision, no glasses needed. I was incredibly disappointed in the screen quality, especially passthrough. I did spend about two hours at the apple store trying all sorts of seals to no avail. I envy those who think the displays are great, I am sure its an incredible experience.
Honestly, the fact that you gave it a try and have specific things that didn’t work for you is a refreshing post to read. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Reactions: Macaholic868
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.