Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2022
Oh this argument again.

It amazes me how often I get told I don't do "real work" on this forum, despite my hourly rate being over $100 an hour :rolleyes:.
If money has exchanged hands for goods or services then it’s real work. And if an iPad or any other computing platform helps facilitate that then…. :D

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
Apple officially dropped total sale from 800K to 400K for this year. Are you dreaming or?

Again, Kuo reporting this does not make it true, let alone "official". Apple has not said one word about numbers or projections. For what it's worth, Kuo's most recent reporting doesn't even agree with what Kuo himself has previously reported.

Kuo previously said, along with numerous other publications, that Apple was supply limited to 500K units in 2024 due to the OLED panels for the screens. He never reported that Apple (or Sony, Apple's display supplier) somehow solved that issue. Now he says Apple was assuming sales projection of 800K, which to my knowledge he's never said before.

That doesn't mean that Apple hasn't dropped AVP sales projections, or that AVP great success, but take Kuo's reporting with a massive heap of salt. He gets lots of his insight from suppliers - who may know that Apple cut their order without knowing that Apple found someone else to make their component cheaper/better. He certainly isn't getting Apple's official numbers.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Again, Kuo reporting this does not make it true, let alone "official". Apple has not said one word about numbers or projections. For what it's worth, Kuo's most recent reporting doesn't even agree with what Kuo himself has previously reported.

Kuo previously said, along with numerous other publications, that Apple was supply limited to 500K units in 2024 due to the OLED panels for the screens. He never reported that Apple (or Sony, Apple's display supplier) somehow solved that issue. Now he says Apple was assuming sales projection of 800K, which to my knowledge he's never said before.

That doesn't mean that Apple hasn't dropped AVP sales projections, or that AVP great success, but take Kuo's reporting with a massive heap of salt. He gets lots of his insight from suppliers - who may know that Apple cut their order without knowing that Apple found someone else to make their component cheaper/better. He certainly isn't getting Apple's official numbers.
Sadly, even developers are not really interested in AVP as Vision only apps dramatically decreased after AVP released which is a fact.

Reactions: Delgibbons

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Please show us the officially facts if you cannot then you are just throwing your own speculations and that will be a fact

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
Sadly, even developers are not really interested in AVP as Vision only apps dramatically decreased after AVP released which is a fact.
Look, you've been clear that you're rooting for AVP to fail since launch. Not sure why you spend your time wish casting on forums for products you hate, but whatever floats your boat. But it does get tiresome for those of us who are enjoying our AVPs.

Again, I am not claiming AVP is a massive success; I wasn't expecting it to be due to the extremely high price. But you clearly have thought it was a failure since BEFORE it launched, so forgive us for rolling our eyes when you claim without evidence that it is a fact that "Apple officially dropped total sale from 800K to 400k" (no, they didn't.) and "Vision only apps dramatically decreased after AVP release" (what does that even mean?)

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Oh this argument again.

It amazes me how often I get told I don't do "real work" on this forum, despite my hourly rate being over $100 an hour :rolleyes:. I'd love for you to try to tell my boss, or my clients (who pay my company significantly more than my hourly rate for my services), that I don't do real work.
I'm sure do, just not on an iPad.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I remember people saying similar things about the Gen 1 apple watch…
For those of us old enough to remember, the Mac got off to a slow start. Despite its limitations and repeated derision from IBM PC users, I and many others recognized its potential and did "real work" with it, particularly writing. It took a couple years for the Mac to gain traction, aided by the LaserWriter and desktop publishing apps like PageMaker. There were certainly some tough years until Steve Jobs' return to Apple, which led to the iMac a year or so later.

What trajectory the AVP will follow remains to be seen.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
I'm sure do, just not on an iPad.
I did 95% of my job on an iPad last year. (The other 5% was done on a client-provided laptop, not because it couldn't be done on an iPad, but because of client regulations around certain data not leaving their network.) I'm alternating between AVP and iPad this year, depending on the day and number of on-camera meetings.

To be clear, the iPad is usually connected to an external monitor, and I used a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad, but I find it a better tool for my work needs than the Mac. I understand that not everyone can do their job on an iPad, particularly Mac/iOS developers, but just because someone can do their job from an iPad doesn't mean it's not "real work." I'd argue that most office workers could do their jobs from an iPad, and a not-insignificant number of them would be better-served in doing so. But that's off topic for the AVP forum, so I'll leave it at that.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
I did 95% of my job on an iPad last year. (The other 5% was done on a client-provided laptop, not because it couldn't be done on an iPad, but because of client regulations around certain data not leaving their network.) I'm alternating between AVP and iPad this year, depending on the day and number of on-camera meetings.

To be clear, the iPad is usually connected to an external monitor, and I used a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad, but I find it a better tool for my work needs than the Mac. I understand that not everyone can do their job on an iPad, particularly Mac/iOS developers, but just because someone can do their job from an iPad doesn't mean it's not "real work." I'd argue that most office workers could do their jobs from an iPad, and a not-insignificant number of them would be better-served in doing so. But that's off topic for the AVP forum, so I'll leave it at that.
What I was saying was, I'm certain that your ENTIRE job is not done from the iPad. It's a tool that you use in conjunction with some other work that is being done.

• Haha
Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
What I was saying was, I'm certain that your ENTIRE job is not done from the iPad. It's a tool that you use in conjunction with some other work that is being done.
So my AMD/Nvidia Linux workstation that costs 5-6 times of my ipad Pro is same? I mean I use it in conjunction with other devices, including iPad Pro to get job done.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The problem with blaming it on "Gen 1" is that it doesn't address the fundamental issues with a headset.

Apple realized from the start wearing a headset makes users look like a dork and walls them off from reality. They tried to mitigate this by making Vision Pro out of fabric materials and adding AR pass through. None of these have made a difference and it's clear people aren't accepting passthrough as an acceptable method of interaction.

Unlike Apple Watch, which launched at $349, nobody sees $3,499 Vision Pro as a fashionable or useful item due to lack of killer apps. Apple would have to cut the price in half (at least), fix the weight and battery issue, change social acceptance of headsets, and find killer apps. That's incredibly difficult.

Is Vision Pro a success? In the most basic terms, yes. It didn't bomb and there no major setbacks. For VP to be a success, it should have been gated by supply, not demand. Right now, there's more than enough to sell across the U.S. and export globally in the grey market.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
We are talking about two computing platforms from the same manufacturer. From the amount of ‘iPad Pro or MacBook Air?’ Threads we see of people looking for buying advice I’d say the comparison is apt.

iPad vs Macbook Air I understand that but Apple Vision Pro vs Mac Studio and which one to buy? very strange and the exception rather than the rule to build an argument around it.

Reactions: Ctrlos

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Look, you've been clear that you're rooting for AVP to fail since launch. Not sure why you spend your time wish casting on forums for products you hate, but whatever floats your boat. But it does get tiresome for those of us who are enjoying our AVPs.

Again, I am not claiming AVP is a massive success; I wasn't expecting it to be due to the extremely high price. But you clearly have thought it was a failure since BEFORE it launched, so forgive us for rolling our eyes when you claim without evidence that it is a fact that "Apple officially dropped total sale from 800K to 400k" (no, they didn't.) and "Vision only apps dramatically decreased after AVP release" (what does that even mean?)
Because it failed. Developers are not interested and there are NO killer apps. As a result, AVP lost attentions in 2 months and many articles and reports proofs it. Do I have to say more?

TeacherToo

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
This is a counter to the other thread to set a few facts straight:

The Vision Pro is Apple’s first real attempt to create a product category rather than just define it. This is what I would call ‘Classic Sony’.

The Vision Pro retails for the same cost as a Mac Studio and as such is aimed at a similar customer base: industry, devs and early adopters.

Looking at the Mac Studio for a second, Apple sold 22m Macs last year, of which 90% were laptops. This means it sold 2.2m desktops. The Mac Studio makes up 1% of sales meaning it sold 220k last year worldwide.

The Vision Pro, a device in the same niche product category has sold 400k units in the space of 3 months after only being available in one territory.

So to summarise the ‘failed’ Vision Pro has done double the annual sales of its nearest comparatively priced Apple product in a quarter of the time.

These numbers are also very good for a device that has no real use case yet and is still finding its feet. It is still waiting for a software update to let you download mp3s onto it.
I agree. It's new yet many people have bought it. They see its potential. They just have to be patient and just enjoy what it does do.
It was like that with the first iPad. As a teacher, I saw its potential. I bought it even though it did not do many of the things I needed it to do to help me in the class room. After many software updates, new apps showing up and new versions of the iPad, teachers were using it in the classrooms everywhere.

Too many people are complaining and picking the Vision Pro apart. I like mine and enjoy it almost everyday. I marvel at its capabilities. I know with updates, I will use it more and more.

Meanwhile, ti everyone, stop trying to kill it. Give it a chance. It is so new, that no one knows all its full future uses. Apple had to start somewhere and did. Now let's also see what other people do with it. Like the Gucci app. That is a creative use of the Vision Pro that no one predicted. Like with toys. A box of building blocks is more useful than a toy that can only do one thing. The Vision Pro has so many capabilities, that you can do many things with it. Lets see what comes out of it before killing it because it is too young and undeveloped.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Because it failed. Developers are not interested and there are NO killer apps. As a result, AVP lost attentions in 2 months and many articles and reports proofs it. Do I have to say more?
iphone 1gen didnt even had an app store so 0 "killer app"....keep dreaming, dev are interested and the interest will go higher and higher with every gen improvements,its clear you dont know too many developers and you just speculate to rant here . Is like you are just born and dont know how Apple works and develops. Keep it going we are having a good time
This is the Mac Pro of macs...a lot of people are interested but 90% of them are price sensitive so of course the momentum is falling from the moment they saw the price

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sunny5 and d0sed0se

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.