Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
After using Vision Pro to now almost a week, I am still feeling like Vision Pro would’t gain much popularity after a few generations, and might be destined to fail.

There’s a lot of hype after the VP release, and the hype can be almost blinding to the critical shortcomings of VP: it’s not a good everyday wearable device. It could be THE reason VP won’t be adopted by masses for few generations.

I hope the second/third generations could be a lot lighter and wearable. However, it might just be wishful thinking. The form of a VR headset has evolved for 10 years, and now when Apple is in the game, it’s still kept the same. The sizes and weight has fell a bit, but would never reach a point where it’s comfortable to wear for 8+ hours. After iPhone came out, the overall trend has always been growing larger and heavier. the same for macbook, applewatch, earpods. My point is, given the form of vision pro, it will always be as heavy and bulky, and hopping it gets to a point to be worn comfortably is wishful thinking.

Many of the ppl on the forum favors the direction of function over form. But I think form over function (does not mean no function) was how Apple was so successful. The devices were beautiful, light, easy to carry, desire-able, and frankly, different from all of the competitors. Vision Pro.. at it’s root, still feels like a Quest3 that has more functionality, but not a better form..

Past rumors suggested Apple had two prototypes to choose from: heavy AR headset and lightweight glass like device. I would take a guess that the second died when Ive left the company, but I felt that might actually be what a lot of people would actually use every single day.

When the form is correct , it will get mass adoption, the tech will iron out, and function will come.

When function is the focus, you build a product that’s very technically advanced, not many people wants, and the product gets axed eventually.

Hopefully that won’t happen to VP.🤞

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I hope the second/third generations could be a lot lighter and wearable. However, it might just be wishful thinking. The form of a VR headset has evolved for 10 years, and now when Apple is in the game, it’s still kept the same.

A really key point

Apple, I'm absolutely positive, wanted to do something more revolutionary but the technology simply isn't there --- and it isn't close to being there.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But isn't the problem they couldn't add enough function without affecting form? If my recollection is correct, Google Glass functionEd mainly by voice commands, and was therefore unusable for people with speech impairment. Also very limited for use in environments like airplanes, where muttering voice commands would disturb people around you. And how immersive can you get with a light glasses design like Google Glass?

So my point is, you can build a light AR glass like Google Glass, but it wouldn't have enough function to compel mass adoption.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
they still made plenty of compromises for form, I mean they default to the single strap band which seemingly very few people actually find comfortable to use.
Yeah that is a very small thing, and I really, really like the single strap. It is sooo easy to put on.

But you see.. because of the overall form, they had to make a second strap as a second thought, and that kind of removed all the good things about the single strap.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
But isn't the problem they couldn't add enough function without affecting form? If my recollection is correct, Google Glass functionEd mainly by voice commands, and was therefore unusable for people with speech impairment. Also very limited for use in environments like airplanes, where muttering voice commands would disturb people around you. And how immersive can you get with a light glasses design like Google Glass?

So my point is, you can build a light AR glass like Google Glass, but it wouldn't have enough function to compel mass adoption.
The processing power has grown a lot over the 10 years, same for display tech. AI has also advanced so much after GPT. Imagine Apple can build something tnat has fantastic integration with the eco system, has their version of GPT, and a better display for displaying most of the needed info.. That will be very different from what google glass offered. I would buy and keep that.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The processing power has grown a lot over the 10 years, same for display tech. AI has also advanced so much after GPT. Imagine Apple can build something tnat has fantastic integration with the eco system, has their version of GPT, and a better display for displaying most of the needed info.. I would buy and keep that.

Meanwhile, we still have Siri

"here's what I found for you on the web"

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
they still made plenty of compromises for form, I mean they default to the single strap band which seemingly very few people actually find comfortable to use.
Yeah I find its closer to half and half tbqh… alot more people I see using the single strap in real life tbqh… its just easier to put on and take off.

Reactions: G5isAlive

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Past rumors suggested Apple had two prototypes to choose from: heavy AR headset and lightweight glass like device. I would take a guess that the second died when Ive left the company, but I felt that might actually be what a lot of people would actually use every single day.
I don't think that the AR glasses are dead (and I don't think that Ive has anything to do with that), and I agree with you that AR glasses are more promising for mass adoption and everyday usage. But let's face it: the tech for AR glasses is just not ready, and it's not even close. AVP will probably shrink and get more lightweight with time, but I don't see anything close to glasses before at least 10 years. So it's not that Apple has decided to go in one direction and not the other, it's just that it doesn't have a choice right now. The compromises in design and usability of AR glasses as of 2024 ar far more important than the ones for the VR headsets IMO.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
A really key point

Apple, I'm absolutely positive, wanted to do something more revolutionary but the technology simply isn't there --- and it isn't close to being there.
Yup, we’ve got to wait for metalenses and transparent OLEDS to be bright enough for the actual glasses to be feasible.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I don’t quite agree. In “form over function”, “function” includes “practicality” and “usefulness”, whereas “form” stands for mere appearances. And Apple did care a lot about appearances in the AVP’s design. For example, 3D controllers are pure function, but Apple decided they don’t want that, because “no controllers” makes the device appear easier to use. As another example, the UI is rather simplistic at this point and doesn’t provide a lot of functionality, as a power user would like, while a lot of work was put into making it look stylish.

“Function over form” would be if the AVP had a lot more hardware buttons, special gloves or hand controllers, and if the UI had more functionality while having a less polished look.

Last edited:

Gleipnir

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2024
I don't think Apple would do such things, like facial recognition and iris recognition.

Iris recognition has been around for a long time, it's very cool, shrinking an iris recognition module and integrating it into a phone is very advanced. But it's not suitable for phones because it requires alignment with your eyes, which would make your experience very fragmented. Facial recognition, on the other hand, does not. Microsoft and Samsung have both made mistakes on this.

This time, Apple used iris recognition on the vision pro, obviously because your eyes would definitely be aligned, and your face happened to be covered.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
That is going to change this WWDC

AFpya.gif

Can't wait
I'll reserve judgement until then

We've been waiting for Siri (or something better) to get better for years...and years....and years

Halmahc

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
The idea that every person will have to be able to wear these HMD comfortably for "8+ hours" for it to be mass adopted is just ridiculous in my opinion. Do people hold or sit by their laptops for 8+ hours straight without breaks as a normal behavior of how they use them? Do you keep looking at your phone 8+ hours without interruption? These HMDs will also be used(and has always been used) normally like that with intermittent breaks.
AR glasses which can be worn "all day" will co-exist with mixed reality headsets in the future. The idea that these VR headsets' form factor will shrink to become glasses is also unreasonable. There's no way you can get the full immersion experiences with AR glasses, so MR/VR type headsets will also serve their purpose, kinda like how we have desktop/laptop computers co-exist with mobile devices like phones and smartwatches.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
The idea that every person will have to be able to wear these HMD comfortably for "8+ hours" for it to be mass adopted is just ridiculous in my opinion. Do people hold or sit by their laptops for 8+ hours straight without breaks as a normal behavior of how they use them? Do you keep looking at your phone 8+ hours without interruption? These HMDs will also be used(and has always been used) normally like that with intermittent breaks.
AR glasses which can be worn "all day" will co-exist with mixed reality headsets in the future. The idea that these VR headsets' form factor will shrink to become glasses is also unreasonable. There's no way you can get the full immersion experiences with AR glasses, so MR/VR type headsets will also serve their purpose, kinda like how we have desktop/laptop computers co-exist with mobile devices like phones and smartwatches.
I agree with you for phones and laptops. But you have to wear a watch or a glass continuously. There is just too much hassle to pick it up and put it down. AND with vision pro, you have to switch it with your personal prescription. I don’t think wearables is equivalent to laptop/mobile phone in this regards.

Also a laptop can be on your desk 24/7, and phone can be in your pocket 24/7. You cannot use VP when it sits on a desk, and you will not put an apple watch in your pocket.

ShadowJade

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2014
Yeah I find its closer to half and half tbqh… alot more people I see using the single strap in real life tbqh… its just easier to put on and take off.
This, 100%. I find it easier to make consistently comfortable with the ratcheting turn. The straps grip the side with the buckle and must be slid to find the sweet spot. The solo strap tightens across the full range. So much easier to remove/put on, and get the consistent result. I am typically leaning back on a couch, so the over-the-head counter balance isn’t as important.

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
After using Vision Pro to now almost a week, I am still feeling like Vision Pro would’t gain much popularity after a few generations, and might be destined to fail.
I, on the other hand, think that in 10 years the AVP will have probably killed the laptop, TV and phones, certainly tablets. Judging it by its current very first version seems rather short-sighted to me. Habit often plays tricks on us but still we shall see.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I’m about a week in too. Love the single strap. Find it is more comfortable than the dual loop. And while sure, I feel it on my face, I’ve already grown accustomed to it. I had discomfort in the first couple of days, but now I don’t. I have three straight days of about 7 hours in productive work on the AVP, and it’s been fantastic.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
I don't think that the AR glasses are dead (and I don't think that Ive has anything to do with that), and I agree with you that AR glasses are more promising for mass adoption and everyday usage. But let's face it: the tech for AR glasses is just not ready, and it's not even close. AVP will probably shrink and get more lightweight with time, but I don't see anything close to glasses before at least 10 years. So it's not that Apple has decided to go in one direction and not the other, it's just that it doesn't have a choice right now. The compromises in design and usability of AR glasses as of 2024 ar far more important than the ones for the VR headsets IMO.
I recommend checking out XReal’s offerings and these are available for preorder: https://brilliant.xyz/products/frame

Reactions: dotzero123

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I agree with you for phones and laptops. But you have to wear a watch or a glass continuously. There is just too much hassle to pick it up and put it down. AND with vision pro, you have to switch it with your personal prescription. I don’t think wearables is equivalent to laptop/mobile phone in this regards.

Also a laptop can be on your desk 24/7, and phone can be in your pocket 24/7. You cannot use VP when it sits on a desk, and you will not put an apple watch in your pocket.
Going to disagree with you that you have to wear Vision Pro for 8 or more hours to be useful. And i am one that has no problems wearing it for 5 hours. I never planned that this would be my only device. It’s not replacing my computer setups (3 monitors), its not replacing my phone. It has some key uses that are easily done in a few hours. So whats wrong with that? It augments my set ups the same way my iPads do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.