Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whatitDOODOO

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
Heard it before. Even the first Mac was a collection of existing technologies but the way of putting them together changed everything. Apple has always used existing technologies but improved and declined better.
Yeah, but the big issue here is that even if VP is collecting existing technologies, they inevitably overlap with the products that Apple is already so good at. There is no market segment left because Apple, over the course of decades, has made the personal computer (and the cell phone) a collection of most essential technologies.

VP is being called the new iPad, but how much discourse have we already seen with Silicon Chip iPads about how the iPad overlaps with the capabilities of a Mac? Tablets are awesome, but they have long been the bastard children of the product lineup, especially when it comes to growth. They really only ended up distracting Apple from tending to its Mac products for most of the 2010s.

Sounds silly, but Mac and iPhone's most base level use cases were the 'need to file' and the 'need to communicate'. Personal computers and cell phones are device containers we've always shown little friction to, so they can collect all the technologies needed. Watches are too, but even those are just there to be glanced at, at most.

Vision Pro, by definition, can't collect existing technologies with enough steam because headsets aren't a container we're used to as a society, and might not be anytime remotely soon. It seems to already show those signs of limited growth.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Vision Pro, by definition, can't collect existing technologies with enough steam because headsets aren't a container we're used to as a society, and might not be anytime remotely soon. It seems to already show those signs of limited growth.
The fact that a Vision Pro is customized (head size/optional lenses) for a specific owner and can't be resold to an another consumer without additional parts makes it even a worse product to market against refurbishments except by Apple. It means the original buyer is accepting more loss associated with the device when traded in after the trial period then any other Apple product. Interesting marketing predicament.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
You need a good balance of both. Apple recently has completely abandoned form. And function is really nothing great. They just throw together whatever is easy. They don't think hard about improving usability or comfort. This is what results in multiple generations of phones and macs with great specs, but they cause eye strain and headaches for a good bit of the population, all the while being bulky and ugly.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
There is so much pure fantasy in AVP threads that I worry about y’all’s basic comprehension skills as tech enthusiasts. We’re at or beyond NFT levels of delusion here.

Battery “technology” that only Apple has or could develop and is waiting to be unleashed (a few months away!) but no one else knows about.

Extreme miniaturization within one to two generations so that a device that could be mistaken for a regular pair of eye glasses can do the same or more as AVP today, minus immersion because obviously it won’t be light sealed the same way.

Wireless display from an external processor on powered contact lenses on our eyeballs. (What.)

Apple engineers have not transcended the laws and very real limits of physics. Cash on hand cannot alter these things.

I know I’m repeating myself from another thread at this point and I won’t keep doing that ad nauseum. But it is just really something to witness what passes for discussion on this.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
There is so much pure fantasy in AVP threads that I worry about y’all’s basic comprehension skills as tech enthusiasts. We’re at or beyond NFT levels of delusion here.

I think some folks don't realize how much stuff they see in modern Sci-Fi TV shows is completely made up and detached from any technical reality of the current time.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I think some folks don't realize how much stuff they see in modern Sci-Fi TV shows is completely made up and detached from any technical reality of the current time.
I was once more watching ready player one last night and right at the end of the movie as they becomes the new owners, the 3rd elected choice was to close the Oasis VR environment Tuesdays and Thursdays was because people need to spend more time in the real world, 'cause, like Halliday said, "reality is the only thing that's real".

Always thought that was an interesting movie quote especially given the tech industry's financial quests with mixed reality headsets.

Last edited:
Reactions: whatitDOODOO
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.