Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
There is nothing special about AVP from the technical perspective. Yes it has better displays, but those are made by Sony. It has decent processor but Qualcomm's recent chips are even faster (in MC benchmarks). It's better than other headsets in some regards but not because nobody can make similar device. It's because others went for different tradeoffs in terms of price and weight.
Heard it before. Even the first Mac was a collection of existing technologies but the way of putting them together changed everything. Apple has always used existing technologies but improved and declined better.

deepspacecowboy

Suspended
Jan 1, 2024
I believe the future of technology is a complete integration of it with ourselves without the hiatus present today (I take my phone or computer I use it and put it back).
That is one possibility. It already seems to be happening and we're starting to suffer the consequences as a society. Our social fabric is degrading because of social media. Mental health issues are skyrocketing. I'm sure further integration with the machine will fix all of that, though! :rolleyes:

I'm actually quite shocked by the lack of critical thinking skills among young people these days. If they can't google it, they don't know what to do. I work with several high school kids and all of them struggle with basic math, but it's the lack of logic and critical thinking skills that really shock me. I manage a restaurant and no matter how many times I explain the close-out procedure (which involves some basic math) to these young people, they can't do it. It's almost like they can't even learn it. Unless they can ask the machine for the answer, they are helpless.

I personally believe sci-fi is how we write our future. One of the things I've always loved and appreciated about Star Trek is the emphasis on humanity, on technology supporting humanity, not subsuming it. I think it's very telling that VR and more immersive/integrative tech only shows up in a dystopian context, be it the Matrix, Neuromancer, Snowcrash, Ready Player One, the brilliant first season of Raised by Wolves, and even Star Trek in the form of the #1 existential enemy, the Borg.

Complete integration with tech is when we lose our humanity altogether. No thanks!

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I remain of the opinion that it will be the “next big thing“ but those who disagree may not buy it today (I understand that for many the price is a big obstacle that increases their skepticism) but still better one more choice than less (it is not like Apple has taken any of its other products off the market). As always, consumers will decide. I merely observe that the first Mac was very expensive and full of limitations, the same the first iPhone (critiqued by so many as the followers of Nokia, BlackBerry, Palm etc) etc. We will see more of this.
I just see some trying to envision the the AVP is a replacement for all that you use. But people that are more technology reality based don't see the AVP as a replacement but a product that needs to find where it really fits. Humorously one can readily remember that old line, jack of all trades, master of none. That thought that Apple wants to establish a beachhead in the industry before it misses the boat as some pundits think concerning Mixed Reality devices is more likely why they were releasing it this year finally. Also the silly press and their last great hope concerning Apple to save this part of the marketplace.

BTW the first 128K Mac while expensive represented two things, which was finally a personal desktop with a graphic desktop compared to text based OS's, it was also a petite all in one, that later Mac models got even heavier/larger before they got lighter/smaller over the course of years. Examples later on the heavy Mac IIx and G4 towers compared to the first iMac. The iPhone was just an example of where its iPhone OS/iOS that could evolve mattered more then the hardware functionality it competed against in the marketplace.

Reactions: deepspacecowboy

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
That is one possibility. It already seems to be happening and we're starting to suffer the consequences as a society. Our social fabric is degrading because of social media. Mental health issues are skyrocketing. I'm sure further integration with the machine will fix all of that, though! :rolleyes:

I'm actually quite shocked by the lack of critical thinking skills among young people these days. If they can't google it, they don't know what to do. I work with several high school kids and all of them struggle with basic math, but it's the lack of logic and critical thinking skills that really shock me. I manage a restaurant and no matter how many times I explain the close-out procedure (which involves some basic math) to these young people, they can't do it. It's almost like they can't even learn it. Unless they can ask the machine for the answer, they are helpless.

I personally believe sci-fi is how we write our future. One of the things I've always loved and appreciated about Star Trek is the emphasis on humanity, on technology supporting humanity, not subsuming it. I think it's very telling that VR and more immersive/integrative tech only shows up in a dystopian context, be it the Matrix, Neuromancer, Snowcrash, Ready Player One, the brilliant first season of Raised by Wolves, and even Star Trek in the form of the #1 existential enemy, the Borg.

Complete integration with tech is when we lose our humanity altogether. No thanks!
You can’t just take your phone off and leave it. Society was degrading long before the phone. It actually started degrading when we turned every city into a Suburban mess and bulldozed everything to accommodate cars. That’s when people started isolating. The generates after the suburbranization of everything are just suffering the natural outgrowth of these decisions that were previously made.

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市

As I wrote a few posts ago I am not making value judgments but I am trying to make a prediction about where technology and society is going. By the way what may seem dystopian to one generation will be the norm for the next one. It has always been that way whether we like it or not.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Heard it before. Even the first Mac was a collection of existing technologies but the way of putting them together changed everything. Apple has always used existing technologies but improved and declined better.
Mac was and still remains a marginal player in computer market. If AVP were to become a marginal player in [almost nonexistent] VR market it would be a total failure.

deepspacecowboy

Suspended
Jan 1, 2024
As I wrote a few posts ago I am not making value judgments but I am trying to make a prediction about where technology and society is going. By the way what may seem dystopian to one generation will be the norm for the next one. It has always been that way whether we like it or not.
I certainly can't argue with that! I find the direction we are heading quite repellent, but I also think it's inevitable that humans will first merge with, then be completely subsumed and replaced by, our tech. As a lover of the natural world, I resist accepting the obvious: we're meant to devour our planet as we evolve into whatever comes next.

Humans have only existed for a short period of time. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that we should, or will, exist forever. I think Ray Kurzweil gets it mostly right with his Singularity theory/prophecy. We've reached the point where our evolution is no longer a biological process, but a technological one. We're merging with the machine.

Let's imagine 100 years from now... AR Glasses are old tech. Neural interfaces are common. Eyes stop growing around 21 years of age. Perhaps humans will remove them at that point and replace them with tech. I mean, why not? Eventually we'll reach the point where human bodies become completely unnecessary.

I wish more people would stop to think about these things and make value judgements. Right now we're all just completely high on that sweet technology catnip. What could go wrong?

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
Mac was and still remains a marginal player in computer market. If AVP were to become a marginal player in [almost nonexistent] VR market it would be a total failure.
In all sectors some companies cover the premium segment precisely the one that generates the largest profits. It is no coincidence that we are talking about the most capitalized company in the world.

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
I certainly can't argue with that! I find the direction we are heading quite repellent, but I also think it's inevitable that humans will first merge with, then be completely subsumed and replaced by, our tech. As a lover of the natural world, I resist accepting the obvious: we're meant to devour our planet as we evolve into whatever comes next.

Humans have only existed for a short period of time. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that we should, or will, exist forever. I think Ray Kurzweil gets it mostly right with his Singularity theory/prophecy. We've reached the point where our evolution is no longer a biological process, but a technological one. We're merging with the machine.

Let's imagine 100 years from now... AR Glasses are old tech. Neural interfaces are common. Eyes stop growing around 21 years of age. Perhaps humans will remove them at that point and replace them with tech. I mean, why not? Eventually we'll reach the point where human bodies become completely unnecessary.

I wish more people would stop to think about these things and make value judgements. Right now we're all just completely high on that sweet technology catnip. What could go wrong?
I don't think there is any chance that your understandable concerns will be reasonably addressed. Then again, the discussion should be extended to all fields, not just technology.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
I don't even know why anyone would think current Apple would be uniquely positioned to solve any of the serious technical hurdles and breakthroughs required here.

What have they really shown lately to indicate they'll be able to do things nobody else can, particularly with miniaturization of tech.

Their best work of late is ASi, and that has definitely been hitting limits as they work to scale it up and have it do more and get better.

M1 was one thing .. and it kind of keeps getting less impressive.
All the while, they've continued to lose talent

If we want to look at their efforts to make things smaller, while maintaining or increasing processing power, we should look at the Watch and iPhones and they've sort of hit walls with both of them right now.
And not to mention AS macs got bulkier, not thinner and lighter.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
Apple has utterly failed to demonstrate any sort of compelling use case beyond watching movies. It's literally an iPad strapped to your face with a mostly 2D/flat interface. Where's the AR? Where's the 3D? Where's the immersion? Even Apple couldn't come up with a compelling demo for the technology.
Exactly the problem. Apple don’t know what to do with it. They lost the magic, and dare I say.. the vision..?

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
they still made plenty of compromises for form, I mean they default to the single strap band which seemingly very few people actually find comfortable to use.
This is kinda the point though right? They will refine with the bits that do work, and get rid of the bits that don’t. Eyesight is another apparently

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It's literally an iPad strapped to your face with a mostly 2D/flat interface.
This is giving me flashbacks to when the iPad was first released, and people kept saying "it's just a big iPhone!" I was like, "Yes please, a bigger iPhone is exactly what I want!" Now I'm like, if I had a VP, maybe I could stop juggling 2-3 iPads plus my iPhone and just use a single device on my face?

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
In all sectors some companies cover the premium segment precisely the one that generates the largest profits. It is no coincidence that we are talking about the most capitalized company in the world.
MSFT capitalization is actually higher (by $200B)

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
I agree with you for phones and laptops. But you have to wear a watch or a glass continuously. There is just too much hassle to pick it up and put it down. AND with vision pro, you have to switch it with your personal prescription. I don’t think wearables is equivalent to laptop/mobile phone in this regards.

Also a laptop can be on your desk 24/7, and phone can be in your pocket 24/7. You cannot use VP when it sits on a desk, and you will not put an apple watch in your pocket.
I did not appreciate any substantial point you made in that response.

Reactions: Jamacfer

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
Focusing on the mechanism that makes people feel you aren't locked away in your AVP headset.

The EyeSight display just has too many problems. The rendering of your eyes is low-res and blurry, thanks in part to the front display quality and in part to the lenticular lens effect. The actual rendering is distorted so it looks “correct” through the lenticular film.
Nobody cares about EyeSight. What makes the AVP unique is the unrivaled pass through latency and the resolution allowing for actual use as a productivity screen. Add to that the fact it probably has the best attempt at a controller less interface.

Or do we genuinely thing this
is the future?

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
In any case we can let the market decide about Vision Pro. If enough people find it interesting it will get traction and be a success. Ultimately that will be based on use cases and not on hype.

The one thing you cannot get elsewhere which might convince me to buy a Vision Pro is a compelling library of Immersive Video content. Its core idea of virtual presence in the real world, giving you experiences which are not available to you in your ordinary life, is a genuine innovation and an extension of the ideas of moving pictures itself.

In my eyes, the AVP is not a ‘magical’ device in the way that the iPhone was when it first appeared: it doesn’t give frictionless access to a new world of technology. Instead it’s more a technology waiting for applications.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Scott Galloway had an interesting take on the most recent Pivot podcast. He believes that Tim Cook can't stand Mark Zuckerberg and has been watching what Zuck has been doing with the Quest. In Galloway's eyes, Vision Pro is a hedge, a "call opinion" as he put it (for the poker players out there), against Meta. A few billion dollars of R&D over many years is nothing for Apple. Should the public become interested in headsets, Apple will have positioned themselves, once again, as the premium tier product. Cook doesn't want Zuck to control the "next big thing" in computing, although, at this point, there's no indication that headsets are the next big thing.
That’s a good take. And plausible.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It doesn't seem any different from today where the TV is just serving as background noise, while everyone is sitting on the sofa but each browsing their own smartphone or tablet.
Do people really live like this?
Jesus.
We don't have any kids, just me and my husband so I have no idea how the typical (American?) family live…

Do people really just sit and not interact with others in the same room?

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
That’s a good take. And plausible.

It doesn’t make sense to me to see headsets as the next big thing in computing. It just doesn’t have the input paradigm sorted, all the cases of people doing actual computing rather than consuming media center around a MacBook Pro as a secondary device. Even the Quest is more a gaming device with controllers than an actual device for serious computing.

Reactions: Antoniosmalakia

SergueiTemp

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Seoul
Apple was successful when their products had form that captured the idea and vision, but also were still familiar (it's just a touch phone, it's just a computer that looks like a lamp etc). Vision Pro lacks this. It's alien and uncomfortable. It packs some good concepts, but no one is going to exchange reality for camera recordings.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Do people really live like this?
Jesus.
We don't have any kids, just me and my husband so I have no idea how the typical (American?) family live…

Do people really just sit and not interact with others in the same room?
I've seen families like this before there were smartphones and tablets. They'd just sit in front of tv and not talk to each other. I'm sure the tendency is exacerbated by new technology, but it didn't start with them. Counteracting this is possible, but requires conscious effort.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It doesn’t make sense to me to see headsets as the next big thing in computing. It just doesn’t have the input paradigm sorted, all the cases of people doing actual computing rather than consuming media center around a MacBook Pro as a secondary device. Even the Quest is more a gaming device with controllers than an actual device for serious computing.
Yeah I think headsets as VR gaming devices make sense. But as a general purpose computing platform? No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.