Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Anyone else experiencing System Data filling up fast on VP? Mine is already at 75GB. I've only downloaded 3 small apps, no movie downloads. Mac has some way to clean up System Data....but not sure how to do this on Vision Pro. Thanks in advance.

Jeffde

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
Yes. Just googled for this and arrived here. Currently looking at 85.82gb of system data. Wtf.

JordanCautious

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2023
I would wait for it to hit the max storage before sounding the alarm. If I remember correctly, the Apple Store has a diagnostic tool for the AVP that can see if the system data is real or not. That would be your best bet since the only thing that could fill System Data that fast would have to be the point clouds and sensor data.

Reactions: tobyringle69

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Yes. Just googled for this and arrived here. Currently looking at 85.82gb of system data. Wtf.
did a restore last night. And it's up to 60GB within 6 hours.
I would wait for it to hit the max storage before sounding the alarm. If I remember correctly, the Apple Store has a diagnostic tool for the AVP that can see if the system data is real or not. That would be your best bet since the only thing that could fill System Data that fast would have to be the point clouds and sensor data.
Good to know. I'll be sure to check out this option before the 14 day window. Lots of ways to clear System Data on a Mac....but it's a mystery with the VP.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Anyone find a solution to this, or has your "System Data" naturally returned to normal? I took mine to the Apple Store, but they just did a restore. Brought it back home, set it up again, and Sytem Data has climbed to over 50Gb within a few hours. And I have not downloaded any apps, browsed safari, nothing since the restore. Later tonight I may try to download a bunch of movies to see if in fact it is affecting available storage.

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
I've been annoyed by a similar issue on my Mac. Get Info for my drive sometimes reports a large amount of 'purgable' data that I don't know how to purge. The reported available capacity is as I expect rather than being reported much less due to the 'purgable' data still being on the drive.

I've learned to ignore it. MacOS just makes the purgable data go away as needed so I get my expected capacity after all.

Perhaps the same thing is happening on the Vision Pro. Either way, Apple should avoid reporting this temporary data to the user as it just causes confusion.

David

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
I've been annoyed by a similar issue on my Mac. Get Info for my drive sometimes reports a large amount of 'purgable' data that I don't know how to purge. The reported available capacity is as I expect rather than being reported much less due to the 'purgable' data still being on the drive.

I've learned to ignore it. MacOS just makes the purgable data go away as needed so I get my expected capacity after all.

Perhaps the same thing is happening on the Vision Pro. Either way, Apple should avoid reporting this temporary data to the user as it just causes confusion.

David
Turns out I am unable to use the full storage, was hoping the “system data” was phantom. I downloaded as many movies I could to test it, and it wont let me download anymore because of the 80 GB designated for “system data”. Ugh.

Reactions: G5isAlive

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Anyone have any updates on this? Mine is at ~100GB currently
I haven't seen any updates. I can tell you I have restored my VP a couple times, with no luck. The "system data" just fills back up quickly, even if I don't download any additional apps. I just have to assume it's a "bug" and hope it will be fixed soon. That's a lot of unusable storage we paid for.

Reactions: nickpro

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'd probably guess it's syncing iCloud Photos?

But otherwise, agree with @HDFan, I didn't need the grief about worrying about storage, 1TB is the worry-free option.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
I'd probably guess it's syncing iCloud Photos?

But otherwise, agree with @HDFan, I didn't need the grief about worrying about storage, 1TB is the worry-free option.
Photos and iCould storage are categorized separately. "System Data" is usually categorized as logs, caches, deleted files etc". Usually easy to clean up on a Mac or iPhone...but no apparent way to do so on a VP. Probably just a bug.

Reactions: masotime

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Added another 8 GB in less than a day. At this rate I'll fill things up in 117 days I think.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Added another 8 GB in less than a day. At this rate I'll fill things up in 117 days I think.
Well, Im glad Im not the only one. As they say, "misery loves company". Hopefully this issue gets elevated.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
As someone mentioned, a lot of this is likely “purgeable” storage. That means that, when the OS needs more space, it will purge some of that data to make room. Unless it becomes a problem, you are probably best ignoring it.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
As someone mentioned, a lot of this is likely “purgeable” storage. That means that, when the OS needs more space, it will purge some of that data to make room. Unless it becomes a problem, you are probably best ignoring it.
Unfortunately, in my case, that was not the situation. I downloaded tons of movies to test this theory and the “system data” didn’t budge. Still unusable storage.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
After installing the beta, mine is showing a total of 30GB used.
Hell, I would settle for 30GB! Mine has ballooned to as much as 170GB. 10-20 GB is pretty normal on the rest of Apple devices.

phrenologist

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2007
You downloaded movies until it told you it couldn't download anymore and system storage stayed the same?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
As someone mentioned, a lot of this is likely “purgeable” storage.

I downloaded tons of movies to test this theory and the “system data” didn’t budge

How big were the movies? 3D 4K?

Content and app data indeed are the storage killers. Downloading a single sample song from the concert app on VP runs ~5 GB. No really something you can do on the fly.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
You downloaded movies until it told you it couldn't download anymore and system storage stayed the same?
Yes. I downloaded mostly 3D movies. They averaged 4-7GB.....so I had to download ALOT of them. But my "available storage" never increased as I downloaded.....meaning the storage taken up by "system data" never became available.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
How big were the movies? 3D 4K?

Content and app data indeed are the storage killers. Downloading a single sample song from the concert app on VP runs ~5 GB. No really something you can do on the fly.
That seems excessive. Entire 3D movies are averaging 3-7 GB.

euron8

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
I'm on the 1.1 beta and my system data usage is at 4.97GB. My total data usage (synced iCloud data and a bunch of apps) is at 48.69GB.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
I'm on the 1.1 beta and my system data usage is at 4.97GB. My total data usage (synced iCloud data and a bunch of apps) is at 48.69GB.
Yeah, that sounds more appropriate. Was it higher in the non beta version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.