Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

euron8

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Yeah, that sounds more appropriate. Was it higher in the non beta version?
Yeah, overall storage usage was higher but I don't remember exactly how much since I was only on 1.0x for a few days. Certainly no where near as much as what you're seeing.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
That seems excessive. Entire 3D movies are averaging 3-7 GB.

That's how much AmazeVR Concerts reports that it is downloading. A full concert is ~12 GB.

All theoretical though since the downloads always hang and I've never completed one. They are aware of the problem and are working on it.

Reactions: tobyringle69

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
This has to be a bug right? Someone on Reddit said he did a reset and it still started filling up without even adding any apps. Mine is over 100gb already

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
This has to be a bug right? Someone on Reddit said he did a reset and it still started filling up without even adding any apps. Mine is over 100gb already
“Thankfully” it’s not just happening to a few, so I’m sure it will be addressed. I was somewhat obsessed about it for awhile, but I will just wait and see if some future updates address it.

Dabatron

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2024
I just installed Beta 3 and it brought the system back down to 9gb
That’s great.Although for me I have Beta 3 as well but the problem happened to me this update. I dowloaded a bunch of 4K movies then watched them all. After I deleted all the movies I checked my storage and the Stystem data is at 380gb and I have the 512gb version. I have no idea how to bring it back down.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah it’s a bug. I bought the 512 GB model and am using around 10 GB of space in total including the space for my iCloud Photo Library which is pretty small, only a few GB’s of music downloaded (my whole library is around 30 GB if I decide to download all of it) and no movies downloaded.

I wanted to see how the disk space usage would pan out under normal use. I probably only should have gotten the 256 GB version but in order to get it at the Apple Store for pickup the day after launch I had to go with the 512 GB version as all of the 256 GB versions were out of stock on launch weekend at all of the Apple stores near me. The closest Apple Store is about 35 miles with 3 in total less than 60 miles from where I live. I’m glad I went with the 512 GB though. I’ll be recording lots of spatial video on my iPhone 5 and in the headset, would like to get my whole music library on here instead of streaming most of it and would like a decent number of movies I can watch as well during long car rides or a flight.

I’d imagine I could fill up the 512 GB pretty quickly. Especially if more and more immersive content is put out there that you can download as well as stream.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Stystem data is at 380gb and I have the 512gb version. I have no idea how to bring it back down.

Reboot doesn't help? On a Mac you can clear out some of the things below by booting into Safe Mode. No information if there is a VP equivalent.

Vision Pro System Data IMG_0041.jpeg

VisionRex

Suspended
Feb 22, 2024
it's always caches from setup, OS installs, etc. It should clean out in about a week as the OS does maintenance tasks. The problem is that the AVP isn't like a laptop or phone that's always on. Mine is at 36 GB but I am always worried that could track up and there is no CleanMyMacX type app for this thing yet to clear out foreign language caches, etc. I speak French but I prefer to interact in English as the English speaking community is larger where I am so I'd wanna delete French/Spanish, etc

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
it's always caches from setup, OS installs, etc. It should clean out in about a week as the OS does maintenance tasks. The problem is that the AVP isn't like a laptop or phone that's always on. Mine is at 36 GB but I am always worried that could track up and there is no CleanMyMacX type app for this thing yet to clear out foreign language caches, etc. I speak French but I prefer to interact in English as the English speaking community is larger where I am so I'd wanna delete French/Spanish, etc
It’s been over 3 weeks for me, and it’s not cleaning itself up. Only getting bigger. Fingers crossed this will be resolved in an update.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It’s been over 3 weeks for me, and it’s not cleaning itself up. Only getting bigger. Fingers crossed this will be resolved in an update.
Is this actually causing a problem? For all we know the OS cleans it up at an as-needed basis as total storage drops below a threshold or a operation indicates it will push it over total storage available.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Is this actually causing a problem? For all we know the OS cleans it up at an as-needed basis as total storage drops below a threshold or an operation indicates it will push it over total storage available.
Yes. The storage taken by “system data” does not become available as needed. I downloaded a sh@t load of movies to test it. Fortunately there’s hardly anything in the App Store worth downloading to worry about it. But still concerning.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yes. The storage taken by “system data” does not become available as needed. I downloaded a sh@t load of movies to test it. Fortunately there’s hardly anything in the App Store worth downloading to worry about it. But still concerning.
So it actively prevents you from downloading your item, or you’re doing the math and not downloading because of it?

I’m just trying to understand the current situation.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
So it actively prevents you from downloading your item, or you’re doing the math and not downloading because of it?

I’m just trying to understand the current situation.
Once the VP said my storage was full, yes I did the math and 75 GB slated as system data was unusable.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Once the VP said my storage was full, yes I did the math and 75 GB slated as system data was unusable.
Okay thanks for clarifying.

I’m gonna have to say this is definitely a bug that needs to be addressed by Apple. You don’t happen to be in the Beta program do you? I’d be interested if it already has been addressed in a build that hasn’t been released to the public yet.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015

I’m gonna have to say this is definitely a bug that needs to be addressed by Apple. You don’t happen to be in the Beta program do you? I’d be interested if it already has been addressed in a build that hasn’t been released to the public yet.
I am not in the Beta program.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

Others on this thread running the beta say it has been fixed. Of course I’ve heard that eye tracking is still very flaky on the beta so you might want to hold out at least until the next beta.

Reactions: NT1440

VisionRex

Suspended
Feb 22, 2024
Mine is acting like a boner…..sometimes it gets smaller, sometimes it gets bigger. Is APFS using a similar rapid virtual ram cache like the PS5? The PS5 uses a swap cache to keep game data used frequently and recently to improve R/W times in and out of RAM. This is a cheap way to improve load speed as an SSD is theoretically operating at the same speed as the RAM anyways, so an SSD is just a larger NV-RAM cache from an older perspective. Maybe it’s where Apple keeps portions of recently used apps or functions and it grows and lessens in size with usage? So, if you just use it for Juno or Safari, it’s small….but use large productivity suites or games and it grows larger? I should test to see.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Mine is acting like a boner…..sometimes it gets smaller, sometimes it gets bigger. Is APFS using a similar rapid virtual ram cache like the PS5? The PS5 uses a swap cache to keep game data used frequently and recently to improve R/W times in and out of RAM. This is a cheap way to improve load speed as an SSD is theoretically operating at the same speed as the RAM anyways, so an SSD is just a larger NV-RAM cache from an older perspective. Maybe it’s where Apple keeps portions of recently used apps or functions and it grows and lessens in size with usage? So, if you just use it for Juno or Safari, it’s small….but use large productivity suites or games and it grows larger? I should test to see.
I have no idea what you just said, but..... my "system data" would fill up rather quickly even after a restore and no apps or movies downloaded. I was obsessing about it for quite awhile....but I have retreated as my storage is currently not a concern because I find no apps worth downloading yet:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.