Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
EDITS:
  1. From the reactions of many who are clearly Apple Vision Pro supporters (as am I), it's clear that my initial messaging fell short of what I was trying to express which is that while I believe that Vision Pro 1.0 (emphasis on 1.0) is targeted at ecosystem enablers (Developers, Entrepreneurs and Early Adopters), AVP 1.0 does have utility for a number of use cases that appeal to broader audiences. And, accordingly subsequent versions targeted to audiences beyond ecosystem enablers will only enhance AVP utility and fit for the mass market.
  2. My hope was to share more than just my my opinion, so I referenced two videos addressing AVP from different perspectives I found to be thoughtful, informative and ultimately proponents of AVP 1.0 as well as it's future potential. This was not to suggest that these are the only authoritative voices, and as expected some members have suggested additional sources that I found equally authoritative and informative. For example @gerald.d suggested the video from Arthur (which I found to be excellent) and Jon Prosser has recently released another excellent and very informative video that speaks favorably to the benefits and shortcomings of AVP 1.0 as well as it's the potential.
  3. I've learned that headlines sometimes matter more than the substance of a post and has a greater impact on how the contents of a post is interpreted -- much more than I expected. Thankfully the moderators (Steve) assisted with modifying the title from "VisionPro 1.0 is not for you" to the current headline. It's a lesson I'll apply going forward as the objective of this post was to simply share two resources I thought would be informative and helpful for those wanting to understand the current state and future potential of AVP -- not to provoke or demean Apple, AVP or proponents of AVP (which I consider myself).
  4. Finally, I hope these edits provide helpful context for the post .

VisionPro v1.0 is not an AR/VR/MR device (even while it supports AR/VR/MR functionality).
VisionPro v1.0 is not a media and 3D Entertainment appliance (even while it provides exceptional media and 3D viewing experience).
VisionPro v1.0 is not a productivity tool (even while it improves focus and productivity for certain use cases).

Similar to the very first Apple Silicon Mac mini (A12Z development machine - thanks @throAU ), VisionPro v1.0 is a development platform and SDK with the following primary objectives:
  1. Expose Apple's inaugural version of its Spatial Computing platform to developers and entrepreneurs.
  2. Encourage those with foresight to partner with Apple to build a paradigm-changing Spatial Computing ecosystem.
  3. Build general awareness of Spatial Computing
These are not my opinions. They are the reasoned conclusions of smart, respectful, thoughtful and informed people who have earned the respect of many -- so I am sharing them with others in the MR community who are interested in understanding Apple's intentions for this complex product from the perspective of professionals who have (a) examined and evaluated Apple's VP platform design intents and (b) actually used VP. This commentary and discussion rationalized Apple's Spatial Computing messaging and pricing for me.

I am an AVP proponent and intend to purchase it (v1.0) even though I’m not the primary target of v1.0.

References:
  1. MRwhosetheboss Apple VisionPro - Why Does This EXIST?
  2. Y Combinator - Apple VisionPro: Startup Platform Of The Future
    • Chapters (Powered by ChapterMe)
    • 00:00 - Coming Up
    • 00:37 - Intro
    • 01:26 - Diana AR/VR Startup
    • 02:12 - Getting acquired by Niantic
    • 02:50 - Why AR? What's going on with Apples Vision Pro?
    • 03:48 - Challenges with VR headsets: Microsoft HoloLens
    • 05:14 - Eyes ability to focus
    • 05:42 - How it's different from optical approach?
    • 06:19 - Apple Vision Pro video feed reduces technical challenge
    • 07:41 - Hard interesting stuff: Hardware vs Software 09:24 - Connection between VR/AR and Self-Driving cars
    • 11:07 - Use cases: Focus on productivity
    • 12:48 - iPhone human interface guidelines
    • 13:25 - Eye tracking: Something founders can focus on
    • 15:26 - What the difference between Meta SDK and Apple Vision Pro SDK? 16:52 - iPhones impact on YC companies
    • 17:33 - Is Vision Pro an iPhone moment?
    • 18:35 - Why did it take 5 years for good iPhone companies to come out?
    • 19:45 - VR will be different from mobile
    • 20:19 - Group Office Hours: Pre-mortem exercise
    • 21:31 - Advice for founders and why should they build VR apps?
    • 23:05 - Path of consumer social networks: Facebook
    • 24:12 - Should founders build on VR/AR tech?
    • 27:09 - One of the things YC will look for in a VR applications?
    • 27:36 - Outro
I found these references extremely informative and learned a lot. I hope you do too.

Last edited:

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
The first M1 Mac mini was a great all round box.

I think you're maybe confusing it with the A12Z development machine.
That is exactly the machine I intended to reference. The A12Z development machine was a Mac mini with an A12Z SOC. Thanks for reminding me of the nomenclature -- I updated the post to reflect that. 🙏🏽

Last edited:

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Wow you really are on a crusade, aren't you?

You are seriously linking to Mr Who's the boss as a credible source?

Maybe pay attention to someone who is regarded by his peers as an expert in this field, and knows what he is talking about (rather than someone who is purely motivated by views and likes).

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
So just getting this straight, you think the m1 mini was not suitable for generic end users?

They are/were incredible value in terms of performance per dollar and an awesome entry point into macOS for people not wanting to commit a lot of money to try it out.

They're a massively capable machine for the price. Plenty of proper pro users make use of armies of them for grinding out video transcoding work, etc.

🤷‍♂️
I was referencing the first Apple Silicon Mac mini -- the A12Z development machine which was a Mac mini with an A12Z SOC. I've edited the post to clarify. The point is that the A12Z was a precursor to the M1, less powerful, limited features and its purpose was to expose developers to Apple Silicon development. It was a widely successful development bootstrapping device which both allowed developers to come up to speed with AS development and provided Apple with feedback that made the next gen M1 Mac mini such a success.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO

Maybe pay attention to someone who is regarded by his peers as an expert in this field, and knows what he is talking about (rather than someone who is purely motivated by views and likes).

FYI, there are two references:

1. MrWhoseTheBoss
2. Y Combinator.

I also listened to the 10 minute summary of the 1hour+ video you referenced .. and agree that Arthur is indeed as credible as you've stated so thanks for the reference. However, I'm puzzled by your comment because Arthur -- speaking as a developer -- echoes the conclusions of both MrWhoseTheBoss and Y Combinator. Here's an excerpt:

"I just see how important that device is for .. the future and that's the power of device right this the power of also Apple. That's The Power of Good device this is not a gimmick this is a legit amazing device and while it's it costs seven times more than any other average headset on the market or whatever it freaking delivers the promise of this being everyday compute device which you wear and be productive in it does and if people tell you this is the gimmick it's too heavy it's blah blah blah blah blah give me a break."​

He goes on to state that he tells his kids that AVP will usher in the world that they will be living in.

So, my question to you is what are you contesting:

A. The conclusion reached by MrWhoseTheBoss which is essentially the same as Arthur's (your reference) and Y Combinator?

B. The fact that I referenced someone you do not respect -- even though he reaches the same conclusion as your own reference?

C. The post's contention that VisionPro v1.0 is a development platform and SDK?

Bonus question: Did you actually read the post and watch the MrWhoseTheBoss video or are you responding solely based on a preexisting opinion? 🤔

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
edit:
Ah, I see you edited the original post. Yeah the A12Z model was dev-kit only... you could not purchase it retail...
Yes, you’re right; but you could easily order the dev kit if you were a developer. The contention is that despite the AVP being available through retail channels, the primary target is developers and entrepreneurs for whom the ~$5K price tag is not an obstacle as that can easily be recovered through VP app sales and/or VP ecosystem add-ons. The early adopter purchase helps to build awareness and is not expected to contribute materially to profit.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
As someone who has been around technology since before the term Personal Computer was coined, what is the deal with people like OP who go out of their way to disparage this product? Reminds me of IBM stating the PC will never take off - people don't want a computer on their desk. They were wrong, just like all these people who have no experience with it (no experience as in more than a demo).

I've already posted a lot on this subject, but I'll post here a limited response. Have had the VP since the Wednesday after go live weekend - about 3 weeks. I used it in place of my iPad and MacBook Pro for general internet use. I use it for work - productivity - and am well aware of many others who do as well. When I'm not using it (doesn't fit all of my use cases like presenting in meetings with Microsoft Teams yet) I miss it.

I may not have a VLOG, or a web page I own and post reviews to, but I assure you I have more experience than most who do. I've figured out complex applications on my own, I've bought in to technology as an early adopter often. I've helped others choose and use technology for decades. I'm a professional in the field of implementing and supporting technology for a large enterprise at various levels (implement, manage, direct).

OP and his "evidence" is just wrong when it comes to the majority of people.

Last edited by a moderator:

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio

Excellent video! Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: heretiq

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
VisionPro v1.0 is not an AR/VR/MR device (even while it supports AR/VR/MR functionality).
VisionPro v1.0 is not a media and 3D Entertainment appliance (even while it provides exceptional media and 3D viewing experience).
VisionPro v1.0 is not a productivity tool (even while it improves focus and productivity for certain use cases).

I’m not sure what to make of these obviously contradictory statements.

By your own admission…
Vision Pro supports AR/VR/MR.
Vision Pro provides exceptional media and 3D viewing experience.
Vision Pro improves focus and productivity.

I feel like you’re intimating there is some conspiracy afoot as if Apple is out to trick us.
But based on my own experiences since buying one you haven’t made your case.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
The OP is being a bit bombastic, but he’s mostly correct about the SDK thing, although that’s a bit of an exaggeration.

There are already some cool things, and there are more on the way, but right now it’s a lot of as-yet-undeveloped potential. That’s not much of a value prop for a $3500 device except for those people who derive enough value (and have enough disposable income) to make it worth it.

I retuned mine knowing I’ll buy one down the road — maybe even with the same hardware (since it sounds like there won’t be a hardware refresh any time soon). It’s not there yet enough to be really useful for spatial COMPUTING. Dinosaurs and rhinos and yes, even 3D soccer — they’re all cool entertainment experiences. But it’s the software that’ll make this thing a success and is the reason I dismiss the naysayers on this thing.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I kind of agree with the OP that VP feels more like a prototype than a finished product. It reminds me a lot of the early Macs. People who had a use for its particular feature set loved it, but for just straight up typing a college paper, the mainframe was faster, and I didn't have to deal with the clunky GUI interface. And yes, that early GUI interface was clunky.

I personally like the idea of the VP, and would get one if I had $4000 dollars to spare. But I also think that for most people, VP doesn't do enough to merit that kind of cost, both in terms of money and the inconvenience of wearing a large device on your face. I am a rather marginal case, in that I find it uncomfortable to sit at a desk for long periods of time, and want multiple screens away from a desk. That's really the target audience for the VP -- people who for whatever reason, whether it's physical need or frequent travel, want to have multiple screens away from a desk. Or people who have limited desktop space that can't hold multiple monitors. And people who find that the isolation of VP helps them focus. It seems to me that the number of people who will find VP truly useful and will be using it regularly months into purchase is rather small.

I think VP is a big leap forward toward a headset device that can be used for general productivity tasks as well as gaming and entertainment. But there's a lot that's still missing / not quite there. It will take not just Apple, but the entire ecosystem of developers, content providers and accessory makers to step up and fill the gaps. At worst, VP will be another gaming/entertainment device, another Apple TV / HomePod. At best, it could replace iPads and even Macs for some people. I'm eagerly waiting to see how it develops.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
If Apple only wanted developers then they would only allow developers to buy it.

Instead I think this obvious target is professional users, hence Apple Vision Pro

Who is considered a professional? If we go based on the textbook definition:

“engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pasttime.”

Yes, that means developers, but it also means content creators, artists, etc. Also I would add that hobbyists also fall into this category including tech enthusiasts who want to experience the latest technology.

The hobbyists might not be using it in a professional setting, but hobbyists are often times adjacent with professionals. As an example, someone might consider photography a hobby, and if they can afford cameras that professionals use, they might consider buying it. Same applies to the AVP.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia

Agree with others, this is a great review by someone actually in the business. What he expressed is very similar to what I’ve been saying.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

Similar to the very first Apple Silicon Mac mini (A12Z development machine - thanks @throAU ), VisionPro v1.0 is a development platform and SDK with the following primary objectives:
  1. Expose Apple's inaugural version of its Spatial Computing platform to developers and entrepreneurs.
  2. Encourage those with foresight to partner with Apple to build a paradigm-changing Spatial Computing ecosystem.
  3. Build general awareness of Spatial Computing
These are not my opinions. They are the reasoned conclusions of smart, respectful, thoughtful and informed people who have earned the respect of many -- so I am sharing them with others in the MR community who are interested in understanding Apple's intentions for this complex product from the perspective of professionals who have (a) examined and evaluated Apple's VP platform design intents and (b) actually used VP. This commentary and discussion rationalized Apple's Spatial Computing messaging and pricing for me.

References:
  1. MRwhosetheboss Apple VisionPro - Why Does This EXIST?
  2. Y Combinator - Apple VisionPro: Startup Platform Of The Future
    • Chapters (Powered by ChapterMe)
    • 00:00 - Coming Up
    • 00:37 - Intro
    • 01:26 - Diana AR/VR Startup
    • 02:12 - Getting acquired by Niantic
    • 02:50 - Why AR? What's going on with Apples Vision Pro?
    • 03:48 - Challenges with VR headsets: Microsoft HoloLens
    • 05:14 - Eyes ability to focus
    • 05:42 - How it's different from optical approach?
    • 06:19 - Apple Vision Pro video feed reduces technical challenge
    • 07:41 - Hard interesting stuff: Hardware vs Software 09:24 - Connection between VR/AR and Self-Driving cars
    • 11:07 - Use cases: Focus on productivity
    • 12:48 - iPhone human interface guidelines
    • 13:25 - Eye tracking: Something founders can focus on
    • 15:26 - What the difference between Meta SDK and Apple Vision Pro SDK? 16:52 - iPhones impact on YC companies
    • 17:33 - Is Vision Pro an iPhone moment?
    • 18:35 - Why did it take 5 years for good iPhone companies to come out?
    • 19:45 - VR will be different from mobile
    • 20:19 - Group Office Hours: Pre-mortem exercise
    • 21:31 - Advice for founders and why should they build VR apps?
    • 23:05 - Path of consumer social networks: Facebook
    • 24:12 - Should founders build on VR/AR tech?
    • 27:09 - One of the things YC will look for in a VR applications?
    • 27:36 - Outro
I found these references extremely informative and learned a lot. I hope you do too.

so I have seen your name around and you are generally supportive of the AVP, so I think you are stating in rather black and white terms things you don't actually believe are so black and white.
Yes, you’re right; but you could easily order the dev kit if you were a developer. The contention is that despite the AVP being available through retail channels, the primary target is developers and entrepreneurs for whom the ~$5K price tag is not an obstacle as that can easily be recovered through VP app sales and/or VP ecosystem add-ons. The early adopter purchase helps to build awareness and is not expected to contribute materially to profit.

oh maybe you do. its a HUGE difference between something you can only buy as a developer and something anyone can buy. Apple does not assume the public are all developers. I grant you they are seeding the market for development work, so that aspect I agree with at the same time they are building in a larger test audience, but there are those of us who are not developers or beta testers, that still see value and use in the AVP. So I guess if you are going to be black and white, I need to disagree :)

Reactions: Night Spring

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
No, the DTK requires application, AVP doesn’t. If it’s not ready for mass market, they shouldn’t release the product as is.

Remember people say Apple don’t release anything that’s not ready and they spend time to perfect their products? Now the “AVP is for developers” are just execuses. The original iPhone was not for developers

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
He absolutely nails it. And his comment that he would pay €100 for a center court view at the Wimbledon men’s final shows he “gets it”.

All it is going to take for AVP to go ballistic is one major sporting event streamed live in spatial video.

It’s going to happen within the next 6 months. And anyone can come back and quote me on that 6 months from now :)
What is it you going on about that will happen in 6 months?!

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Excuse me. Who made YOU (OP/heretiq) the judge of what works for me or anyone else for that matter?

You say:
>>>>>>"VisionPro v1.0 is not an AR/VR/MR device (even while it supports AR/VR/MR functionality)."

Well, not exclusively. That's the beauty of the Vision Pro. It can be all three of the things you claim it is not--all at once or mixed/matched as an individual's needs and desires dictate.

>>>>>>VisionPro v1.0 is not a media and 3D Entertainment appliance (even while it provides exceptional media and 3D viewing experience).

It is for me. The very "exceptional media and 3D viewing experience" you denigrate is my favorite feature of the AVP.

>>>>>>>VisionPro v1.0 is not a productivity tool (even while it improves focus and productivity for certain use cases).

Of the three, this one is the one I use the least. But based on YT videos I've viewed, there are definitely some people out there whose primary use case for the AVP is as a productivity tool. Again, their choice, their decision.

Each of your statements, taken individually and in the aggregate make no flipping sense. I define whether it serves as an AR/VR/MR device, a 3D entertainment device, and/or a productivity tool for MY purposes. That is NOT for you to decide. It's my decision.

And I personally am very happy with my choice to plunk down $4K for a Gen 1 device, just as I was happy when I purchased the Gen 1 version of the Intel Mac mini, the OG iPad, the OG iPad Pro, and the OG Apple Watch. I don't need you to tell me how I choose to spend my hard-earned $$$$$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.