Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audentia

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Silicon Valley
Its hilarious how polarized people get even when saying similar things here. Being a developer focused 1st gen device doesn't take away from the device's commercial appeal (for those with the money) and future potential.

If the A12Z dev kit is not the perfect analogy, (it's still a decent one) the first Apple Watch (series 0) is probably a better one. It is a commercial product, but clearly this first gen is a bit rough around the edges, similar to first ipod, iphone, ipad, etc. but I'd argue even more so just because of hardware limitations (weak SoC on the watch, too heavy for vision pro) which make the first gen more painful for the desired core experience (compared to first gen ipod, iphone, ipad, all of which did their core things well.)

Either way all of these devices were improved rapidly, but for example the watch especially lost its value very quickly. Vision Pro 1 will probably have a similar future where you can find them for 1/2 price in a year or 2, but the future is bright for visionOS and subsequent headsets.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yes, you’re right; but you could easily order the dev kit if you were a developer.
Pretty sure that when you order dev kit hardware, it remains property of Apple and you need to return it.

This was never going to be exposed to general end users so for the purposes of discussing whether or not it is suitable as such.... pretty irrelevant.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Definitely. Original watch was very much like Vision Pro. Preview of things to come, that is both barely functional and very expensive for what it actually does.

The mainstream product(s) will come later.
The original watch wasn't expensive if you picked the aluminum models. The only expensive model was the gold one. I don't think the price for the aluminum and steel models have changed much at all. The latest models still are priced about the same as the first gen models were.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
VisionPro v1.0 is not an AR/VR/MR device (even while it supports AR/VR/MR functionality).
VisionPro v1.0 is not a media and 3D Entertainment appliance (even while it provides exceptional media and 3D viewing experience).
VisionPro v1.0 is not a productivity tool (even while it improves focus and productivity for certain use cases).

Similar to the very first Apple Silicon Mac mini (A12Z development machine - thanks @throAU ), VisionPro v1.0 is a development platform and SDK with the following primary objectives:
  1. Expose Apple's inaugural version of its Spatial Computing platform to developers and entrepreneurs.
  2. Encourage those with foresight to partner with Apple to build a paradigm-changing Spatial Computing ecosystem.
  3. Build general awareness of Spatial Computing
These are not my opinions. They are the reasoned conclusions of smart, respectful, thoughtful and informed people who have earned the respect of many -- so I am sharing them with others in the MR community who are interested in understanding Apple's intentions for this complex product from the perspective of professionals who have (a) examined and evaluated Apple's VP platform design intents and (b) actually used VP. This commentary and discussion rationalized Apple's Spatial Computing messaging and pricing for me.

I am an AVP proponent and intend to purchase it even though I’m not the primary target.

References:
  1. MRwhosetheboss Apple VisionPro - Why Does This EXIST?
  2. Y Combinator - Apple VisionPro: Startup Platform Of The Future
    • Chapters (Powered by ChapterMe)
    • 00:00 - Coming Up
    • 00:37 - Intro
    • 01:26 - Diana AR/VR Startup
    • 02:12 - Getting acquired by Niantic
    • 02:50 - Why AR? What's going on with Apples Vision Pro?
    • 03:48 - Challenges with VR headsets: Microsoft HoloLens
    • 05:14 - Eyes ability to focus
    • 05:42 - How it's different from optical approach?
    • 06:19 - Apple Vision Pro video feed reduces technical challenge
    • 07:41 - Hard interesting stuff: Hardware vs Software 09:24 - Connection between VR/AR and Self-Driving cars
    • 11:07 - Use cases: Focus on productivity
    • 12:48 - iPhone human interface guidelines
    • 13:25 - Eye tracking: Something founders can focus on
    • 15:26 - What the difference between Meta SDK and Apple Vision Pro SDK? 16:52 - iPhones impact on YC companies
    • 17:33 - Is Vision Pro an iPhone moment?
    • 18:35 - Why did it take 5 years for good iPhone companies to come out?
    • 19:45 - VR will be different from mobile
    • 20:19 - Group Office Hours: Pre-mortem exercise
    • 21:31 - Advice for founders and why should they build VR apps?
    • 23:05 - Path of consumer social networks: Facebook
    • 24:12 - Should founders build on VR/AR tech?
    • 27:09 - One of the things YC will look for in a VR applications?
    • 27:36 - Outro
I found these references extremely informative and learned a lot. I hope you do too.

I think most have said it’s basically a dev kit. Nice that you realize it now.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The OP is being a bit bombastic, but he’s mostly correct about the SDK thing, although that’s a bit of an exaggeration.

There are already some cool things, and there are more on the way, but right now it’s a lot of as-yet-undeveloped potential. That’s not much of a value prop for a $3500 device except for those people who derive enough value (and have enough disposable income) to make it worth it.

I retuned mine knowing I’ll buy one down the road — maybe even with the same hardware (since it sounds like there won’t be a hardware refresh any time soon). It’s not there yet enough to be really useful for spatial COMPUTING. Dinosaurs and rhinos and yes, even 3D soccer — they’re all cool entertainment experiences. But it’s the software that’ll make this thing a success and is the reason I dismiss the naysayers on this thing.

I’ll keep an eye on it future as well for immersive content. It’s on Apple to do it but don’t have any high hopes there. And would be the only reason I’d consider buying again.

As for software being based on ipadOS already means it’s doa for me to ever consider using for work. Not that I would ever wear this at a professional firm anyway. And being goggles means it’ll never be meant to wear for more than 30min to an hour. Price is only part of the problems with this device. The ui is a mess. Apps are garbage. Etc. Good for lone video watching which is highly niche at that price. Travelers could like.

I don’t really care if this fails or not. It’s apples problem. Not mine. I’m not sure what apple could do to make it a device that doesn’t sit for days unused though. And in that scenario it’ll never be worth paying more than say a quest 3 or video console to me.

Maybe it’s viable just as a travel device who knows. But the next iphone? Nope.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
I've been using it for work between 4 and 6 hours a day since I picked it up three weeks ago. Maybe I am a unicorn because I was already working completely from my iPad (which, as I often read on these forums, is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE FOR REAL WORK, despite the fact that work pays me well enough that I can comfortably afford buying the AVP, but I digress). It is definitely clunkier from some tasks, but I still reach for it first and miss it when I can't be wearing it.

I am 100% convinced it is the future of computing. Not in this form factor, not at this weight, and not VisionOS 1.0, but I'll be shocked if most office professionals are not all wearing a thinner, lighter device like this in 10 years.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
If that were true, the developer USB adapter would be included in the box, YouTube influencers wouldn't have received review units, there would be no App Store demos for non-developers, and Disney wouldn't have gone all-in to provide immersive entertainment on it.
You're technically correct; but I think you may be taking the "development platform and SDK" characterization a bit more literally than intended. The point is that Apple are still building out the AVP ecosystem and has included enough capability to provide utility for a number of use cases, spotlight the future potential of AVP and build awareness/buzz.

However, Apple needs third-party participation to build out the ecosystem so V1.0 is targeted at these ecosystem enablers -- even while it provides utility to others outside of this initial target audience. Subsequent versions will improve the base product and feature set which will make it even better for subsequently targeted market segments.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
As someone who has been around technology since before the term Personal Computer was coined, what is the deal with people like OP who go out of their way to disparage this product? Reminds me of IBM stating the PC will never take off - people don't want a computer on their desk. They were wrong, just like all these people who have no experience with it (no experience as in more than a demo).

I've already posted a lot on this subject, but I'll post here a limited response. Have had the VP since the Wednesday after go live weekend - about 3 weeks. I used it in place of my iPad and MacBook Pro for general internet use. I use it for work - productivity - and am well aware of many others who do as well. When I'm not using it (doesn't fit all of my use cases like presenting in meetings with Microsoft Teams yet) I miss it.

I may not have a VLOG, or a web page I own and post reviews to, but I assure you I have more experience than most who do. I've figured out complex applications on my own, I've bought in to technology as an early adopter often. I've helped others choose and use technology for decades. I'm a professional in the field of implementing and supporting technology for a large enterprise at various levels (implement, manage, direct).

OP and his "evidence" is just wrong when it comes to the majority of people.
First of all, there is not a single item in the post or the two linked videos that are disparaging to AVP. The videos are both very complimentary and bullish on AVP 1.0 as well as the future potential of AVP and Apple's Spatial Computing ecosystem vision. Please read my other AVP posts and watch the videos. If you do, I assure you that you will not find a single disparaging comment.

Second, I think that the second objective stated in the post may apply to you: "Encourage those with foresight to partner with Apple to build a paradigm-changing Spatial Computing ecosystem."

I suspect that the original post title "VisionPro 1.0 is not for you" may have prompted your reply. If it offended you, I apologize. The post title has been changed.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I’m not sure what to make of these obviously contradictory statements.

By your own admission…
Vision Pro supports AR/VR/MR.
Vision Pro provides exceptional media and 3D viewing experience.
Vision Pro improves focus and productivity.

I feel like you’re intimating there is some conspiracy afoot as if Apple is out to trick us.
But based on my own experiences since buying one you haven’t made your case.
Yes, those are my words and I believe each of them. They are also not at odds with the idea that the first iteration of AVP (V1.0) is targeted at ecosystem enablers -- even while it is appealing and has utility to others. Subsequent versions will be even better for subsequently targeted market segments. And no, I respect and trust Apple and you can see for yourself from looking at my past posts -- so definitely no intimation that Apple tricked anyone. They are simply following classic market segmentation and approaching the product rollout by targeting market segments in a systematic manner -- with the first target being ecosystem enablers and early adopters, to be followed by other segments.

Reactions: fatTribble

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
The OP is being a bit bombastic, but he’s mostly correct about the SDK thing, although that’s a bit of an exaggeration.

There are already some cool things, and there are more on the way, but right now it’s a lot of as-yet-undeveloped potential. That’s not much of a value prop for a $3500 device except for those people who derive enough value (and have enough disposable income) to make it worth it.

I retuned mine knowing I’ll buy one down the road — maybe even with the same hardware (since it sounds like there won’t be a hardware refresh any time soon). It’s not there yet enough to be really useful for spatial COMPUTING. Dinosaurs and rhinos and yes, even 3D soccer — they’re all cool entertainment experiences. But it’s the software that’ll make this thing a success and is the reason I dismiss the naysayers on this thing.
Thank you. The headline is being taken more literally than I anticipated. In hindsight I should have characterized v1.0 as an Ecosystem Development Kit targeted at developers, entrepreneurs and early adopters -- with subsequent versions improving the form factor and solidifying functionality for other targeted segments.

Reactions: Night Spring

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Wonder what your opinion was on the original iPod or iPhone 😂
I purchased the original iPhone on Day 1 and loved it. I feel the same about AVP 1.0 and will purchase it. I don't understand why you think I'm not a proponent as both videos I references are favorable -- though I suspect it may have been the original headline which stated "VisionPro 1.0 is not for you". If the headline threw you off I apologize, that was not the intention -- I simply wanted to share two favorable and very informative videos that in my opinion shed light on the fact that Apple's marketing of this device is segmented .. first targeting ecosystem enablers (developers, entrepreneurs and early adopters) even if they are not making it obvious. None of this says it is not useful or appealing to me or others.

• Haha
Reactions: progx

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Excellent video! Thank you for sharing!
I agree. As I stated in my reply to the video poster -- that is a very informative video which actually reaches the same bullish conclusion on VisionPro as the two videos included in the original post.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
That’s not much of a value prop for a $3500 device except for those people who derive enough value (and have enough disposable income) to make it worth it.

Couldn’t agree more. Makes perfect sense.

That's precisely the point of the original post: AVP 1.0 is targeted at "people who derive enough value (and have enough disposable income) to make it worth it" -- developers, entrepreneurs and early adopters. Subsequent versions will be improved (form factor, functionality, features and price) to appeal to additional, subsequently-targeted segments.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
If Apple only wanted developers then they would only allow developers to buy it.

Instead I think this obvious target is professional users, hence Apple Vision Pro

Who is considered a professional? If we go based on the textbook definition:

“engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pasttime.”

Yes, that means developers, but it also means content creators, artists, etc. Also I would add that hobbyists also fall into this category including tech enthusiasts who want to experience the latest technology.

The hobbyists might not be using it in a professional setting, but hobbyists are often times adjacent with professionals. As an example, someone might consider photography a hobby, and if they can afford cameras that professionals use, they might consider buying it. Same applies to the AVP.
I agree. I think the second objective listed in the original post would apply to the hobbyist: "Encourage those with foresight to partner with Apple to build a paradigm-changing Spatial Computing ecosystem."

Yes, I know that does not explicitly say hobbyist, but I didn't spend a lot of time elaborating in the original post because I thought MR members would find the referenced videos (very bullish on AVP) more insightful. The original post was intended to frame these videos but that goal was impeded by a poor headline and insufficient elaboration.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
so I have seen your name around and you are generally supportive of the AVP, so I think you are stating in rather black and white terms things you don't actually believe are so black and white.

oh maybe you do. its a HUGE difference between something you can only buy as a developer and something anyone can buy. Apple does not assume the public are all developers. I grant you they are seeding the market for development work, so that aspect I agree with at the same time they are building in a larger test audience, but there are those of us who are not developers or beta testers, that still see value and use in the AVP. So I guess if you are going to be black and white, I need to disagree :)
You are correct -- I am supportive of AVP and intend to purchase one. The post was specifically contending that AVP 1.0 was targeted to ecosystem enablers (developers, entrepreneurs and early adopters).

You and the others you describe would fall into the early adopters segment with a less than literal reading of objective 2 in the post which includes "those with foresight to partner with Apple to build a paradigm-changing Spatial Computing ecosystem."

I think we are aligned and in agreement. I should have elaborated that while AVP 1.0 does appeal to others outside the initially targeted segment, subsequent versions will be refined (form factor, functionality, features and pricing) and targeted to additional/broader segments.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Excuse me. Who made YOU (OP/heretiq) the judge of what works for me or anyone else for that matter?

You say:
>>>>>>"VisionPro v1.0 is not an AR/VR/MR device (even while it supports AR/VR/MR functionality)."

Well, not exclusively. That's the beauty of the Vision Pro. It can be all three of the things you claim it is not--all at once or mixed/matched as an individual's needs and desires dictate.

>>>>>>VisionPro v1.0 is not a media and 3D Entertainment appliance (even while it provides exceptional media and 3D viewing experience).

It is for me. The very "exceptional media and 3D viewing experience" you denigrate is my favorite feature of the AVP.

>>>>>>>VisionPro v1.0 is not a productivity tool (even while it improves focus and productivity for certain use cases).

Of the three, this one is the one I use the least. But based on YT videos I've viewed, there are definitely some people out there whose primary use case for the AVP is as a productivity tool. Again, their choice, their decision.

Each of your statements, taken individually and in the aggregate make no flipping sense. I define whether it serves as an AR/VR/MR device, a 3D entertainment device, and/or a productivity tool for MY purposes. That is NOT for you to decide. It's my decision.

And I personally am very happy with my choice to plunk down $4K for a Gen 1 device, just as I was happy when I purchased the Gen 1 version of the Intel Mac mini, the OG iPad, the OG iPad Pro, and the OG Apple Watch. I don't need you to tell me how I choose to spend my hard-earned $$$$$.
The purpose of the post was to share what I thought were two very informative (and supportive) videos from two perspectives that help to triangulate Apple's design intent for AVP 1.0. The contention is that version 1.0 is targeted at ecosystem enablers; however, that does not mean that it (AVP Version 1.0) is not appealing or useful to others beyond the initial targeted segment. It clearly is, and you are proof of that .. and nothing in the post says who should or should not buy it. The post simply contends that Apple is targeting ecosystem enablers with Version 1.0. But seriously, as an AVP proponent, if you are interested in other informed perspectives on what Apple is doing with AVP Version 1.0, you might find those referenced videos thoughtful and insightful.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I think most have said it’s basically a dev kit. Nice that you realize it now.
Good try, but no. There is nothing that relegates it to just a dev kit .. and that is NOT what the post is contending despite using "SDK" as a metaphor to highlight that the ecosystem is in the development phase and not yet mature. The post contends that Version 1 is targeted at ecosystem enablers which includes developers, entrepreneurs and early adopters with compatible productivity, media, AR, and other use cases.

digitster

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2024
I can‘t even understand the purpose of this thread at all.

If the Apple vision Pro would be a ‚development device‘, it actually should be very easy for a developer to get one.

But it isn‘t easy to get one. In fact I did a research on the topic recently and did not even find a single developer, who got one of the promised ‚Developer Kits‘ for the Apple Vision Pro from Apple. I have now published 6 native apps to the Apple Vision Pro store, some made even before the official release of the device, and asked for the announced developer kit several times (Apple Developer Relations and while visiting developer labs), with no result or response about that. All the apps are developed based on the default simulator for Xcode (beta and release).

If this is a ‚developer device‘, I would also ask, why did get influencers the device directly from Apple very first?
These devices should have given to developers first then, actually. Influencers, by the way, who obviously forgot everything abaout it the very second day and concentrated to other things for making money for themselves …

Seriously supported developers on the other side would directly and continuously generate money for Apple…

And if Apple seriously would be interested to boost development for this device, why are they selling the special USB3 straps for 300 bucks then extra, instead of just delivering their promised loaned devices to the active developers with that thing attached?

This discussion here is quite pointless and in no way reflects Apples intentions with this release.

Last edited:

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Wow. I'm confused.

You went from:

"Maybe pay attention to someone who is regarded by his peers as an expert in this field, and knows what he is talking about (rather than someone who is purely motivated by views and likes)."

To:

Ok so I have spent a little more time watching the video. The guy is clearly an Apple shill.

They must have set this up years ago. I guess you have to give them some credit for the foresight.

Serious question: Can you explain the rationale for this clear about face on a video that you suggested? Did you not watch it before recommending it? 🤔

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
The purpose of the post was to share what I thought were two very informative (and supportive) videos from two perspectives that help to triangulate Apple's design intent for AVP 1.0. The contention is that version 1.0 is targeted at ecosystem enablers; however, that does not mean that it (AVP Version 1.0) is not appealing or useful to others beyond the initial targeted segment. It clearly is, and you are proof of that .. and nothing in the post says who should or should not buy it. The post simply contends that Apple is targeting ecosystem enablers with Version 1.0. But seriously, as an AVP proponent, if you are interested in other informed perspectives on what Apple is doing with AVP Version 1.0, you might find those referenced videos thoughtful and insightful.
Ok. I'll check them out; they might be interesting. I've been consuming most videos out there about the AVP anyway, if only to sample a wide perspective on how people are responding to it.

But I still think that AAPL's target is way broader than just developers. They are targeting it at early adopters across a variety of use cases who see the potential of a device like this and who will explore the limits of its capabilities and then talk the AVP up to their friends and colleagues. In a sense, we are the paying "influencers"--the people who believe enough in this device to spend $4K to be at the cutting edge of Apple's next new thing and then propel it forward via word of mouth.

Reactions: heretiq

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Ok. I'll check them out; they might be interesting. I've been consuming most videos out there about the AVP anyway, if only to sample a wide perspective on how people are responding to it.

But I still think that AAPL's target is way broader than just developers. They are targeting it at early adopters across a variety of use cases who see the potential of a device like this and who will explore the limits of its capabilities and then talk the AVP up to their friends and colleagues. In a sense, we are the paying "influencers"--the people who believe enough in this device to spend $4K to be at the cutting edge of Apple's next new thing and then propel it forward via word of mouth.
Thanks for being open minded. I'm curious to hear your thoughts after checking them out. I learned from both but especially from the Y Combinator discussion.

Also, I think we are in agreement, but not seeing it -- perhaps because of the terms development platform and SDK are overshadowing the message (in hindsight maybe I should have referred to it as an "ecosystem development kit"). Here's a direct quote from the original post:

Similar to the very first Apple Silicon Mac mini (A12Z development machine - thanks @throAU ), VisionPro v1.0 is a development platform and SDK with the following primary objectives:
  1. Expose Apple's inaugural version of its Spatial Computing platform to developers and entrepreneurs.
  2. Encourage those with foresight to partner with Apple to build a paradigm-changing Spatial Computing ecosystem.

I think the three "primary objectives" echo your comments on what you believe to be "AAPL's target." Thoughts?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The original watch wasn't expensive if you picked the aluminum models. The only expensive model was the gold one. I don't think the price for the aluminum and steel models have changed much at all. The latest models still are priced about the same as the first gen models were.

It was expensive for what it was actually useful for. :)

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
VisionPro v1.0 is not an AR/VR/MR device (even while it supports AR/VR/MR functionality).
VisionPro v1.0 is not a media and 3D Entertainment appliance (even while it provides exceptional media and 3D viewing experience).
VisionPro v1.0 is not a productivity tool (even while it improves focus and productivity for certain use cases).

1. MRwhosetheboss Apple VisionPro - Why Does This EXIST?
  2. Y Combinator - Apple VisionPro: Startup Platform Of The Future

Okay - so maybe you weren't saying what I and apparently many others thought you were saying. I was going off the title AND the three key statements you made above. Which, after now watching the videos you posted, I still don't get/agree with per se:

It is classified as exactly this type of device. It does VR really well. Better than most for most things though gaming is still iPad like. It does AR WAY better than most. The way it handles object placement and uses the actual environment around you is incredible. MR? So not sure why, even after watching the videos, you believe this.

It is the best at 3D entertainment out there right now. This is just one of the features and most people who have this state this is their killer app. But it's not JUST a 3D Entertainment device. Is that what you are trying to say? Otherwise, it is an odd statement.

I vehemently disagree with this statement. It is a productivity tool and works GREAT for me and others for this purpose. Maybe not everyone, but it's really good for the work I do. Which is upper management in IT for a health care focused company. There are a couple things I still have to use my laptop for - presenting in Teams meetings, being on video in Teams meetings (people have interesting reactions to my persona), limited in some advanced email functionality, cut/paste screen clips, and local apps not available otherwise. Being able to have more than two apps visible (I use two monitors with many apps active and use alt-tab a lot) has helped me be more productive. AND - that I can stand up to work or take my "desktop" anywhere, is super effective. I'm aware of others with similar experiences.

First of all, there is not a single item in the post or the two linked videos that are disparaging to AVP. The videos are both very complimentary and bullish on AVP 1.0 as well as the future potential of AVP and Apple's Spatial Computing ecosystem vision. Please read my other AVP posts and watch the videos. If you do, I assure you that you will not find a single disparaging comment.

Second, I think that the second objective stated in the post may apply to you: "Encourage those with foresight to partner with Apple to build a paradigm-changing Spatial Computing ecosystem."

I suspect that the original post title "VisionPro 1.0 is not for you" may have prompted your reply. If it offended you, I apologize. The post title has been changed.

The three statements I replied to came across as disparaging the AVP. They put me off on watching the videos you posted links to as it seemed they were just going to be more of what others have posted that wasted my time. Seems i was incorrect on that as the video were actually very good. I'm over 1/2 way through the second one and plan on finishing it later today.

Agree - I'm one with the foresight to partner with Apple. That was my initial intent when I decided to keep the VP. But since then, I can see how it's ready today for many others to join and use. Like the cell phone gave us freedom from our desks/houses/etc (more so than pagers), the VP gives us freedom from our desks/houses to actually do the work with privacy. Can make a case laptops do this, but the VP offers a freedom the laptop can't compare to.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Okay - so maybe you weren't saying what I and apparently many others thought you were saying. I was going off the title AND the three key statements you made above. Which, after now watching the videos you posted, I still don't get/agree with per se:

It is classified as exactly this type of device. It does VR really well. Better than most for most things though gaming is still iPad like. It does AR WAY better than most. The way it handles object placement and uses the actual environment around you is incredible. MR? So not sure why, even after watching the videos, you believe this.

It is the best at 3D entertainment out there right now. This is just one of the features and most people who have this state this is their killer app. But it's not JUST a 3D Entertainment device. Is that what you are trying to say? Otherwise, it is an odd statement.

I vehemently disagree with this statement. It is a productivity tool and works GREAT for me and others for this purpose. Maybe not everyone, but it's really good for the work I do. Which is upper management in IT for a health care focused company. There are a couple things I still have to use my laptop for - presenting in Teams meetings, being on video in Teams meetings (people have interesting reactions to my persona), limited in some advanced email functionality, cut/paste screen clips, and local apps not available otherwise. Being able to have more than two apps visible (I use two monitors with many apps active and use alt-tab a lot) has helped me be more productive. AND - that I can stand up to work or take my "desktop" anywhere, is super effective. I'm aware of others with similar experiences.

The three statements I replied to came across as disparaging the AVP. They put me off on watching the videos you posted links to as it seemed they were just going to be more of what others have posted that wasted my time. Seems i was incorrect on that as the video were actually very good. I'm over 1/2 way through the second one and plan on finishing it later today.

Agree - I'm one with the foresight to partner with Apple. That was my initial intent when I decided to keep the VP. But since then, I can see how it's ready today for many others to join and use. Like the cell phone gave us freedom from our desks/houses/etc (more so than pagers), the VP gives us freedom from our desks/houses to actually do the work with privacy. Can make a case laptops do this, but the VP offers a freedom the laptop can't compare to.
Thanks for taking the time to view the videos and follow-up. I agree, AVP is definitely capable of performing those three core use cases with excellence (which I tried to convey). With hindsight, I definitely see how the title and those three statements with limited context setting may have given the appearance of dismissing AVP for those use cases. I expected the v1.0 designation to convey that while this initial version (1.0) was indeed capable of supporting those use cases, the target audience was ecosystem enablers (devs, entrepreneurs and early adopters) .. and that other, mainstream segments would be targeted subsequently with functionality, feature and pricing improvements. Big fail on my part. But, I'm glad you find the videos helpful as that was the primary intent.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.