Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I wasn’t sure the best thread to post this in but since I spend most of my time in this one, here goes. I was using voice dictation to respond to a text today. I said the words “upset to my stomach”. In the video you will see what happened. I am actually using voice dictation now and it did it while I said the words above that are in quotes. Can anyone re-create this on their own phone? I have had several people try it on their own phone and it does not do it. In my case, it will do this in any app or any place that has voice dictation enabled on my phone. I am stumped.

Side note: I have generalized health anxiety, and it’s been super high lately having been diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms, which makes this that much more strange.

Reactions: Remig69

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Are you having us on? Any way you could take a video of your actual phone (vs. screen recording) so we can hear you saying the words as they are being dictated? This is just too bizarre if true - I have to see it "for real" 🤨 Especially strange would be the all caps. I can replicate what you showed by saying "Upset to my all caps on stop worrying about your health exclamation mark" but not by simply saying "upset to my stomach". I can maybe see it mishearing "stomach" as "stop" but then it wouldn't add the rest and it wouldn't be in all caps.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Are you having us on? Any way you could take a video of your actual phone (vs. screen recording) so we can hear you saying the words as they are being dictated? This is just too bizarre if true - I have to see it "for real" 🤨 Especially strange would be the all caps. I can replicate what you showed by saying "Upset to my all caps on stop worrying about your health exclamation mark" but not by simply saying "upset to my stomach". I can maybe see it mishearing "stomach" as "stop" but then it wouldn't add the rest and it wouldn't be in all caps.
Here you go. I wouldn’t waste the forums time with this if it wasn’t happening. I cannot recreate it on any other phone. And not only does it type it all out, it then retracts it so it’s not like some one messed with Text Replacement in my settings.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Here you go. I wouldn’t waste the forums time with this if it wasn’t happening. I cannot recreate it on any other phone. And not only does it type it all out, it then retracts it so it’s not like some one messed with Text Replacement in my settings.
View attachment 2004363

I am at a loss for words (though apparently your iPhone isn't). Thanks for posting the video. Aside from factory resetting your phone, I'm not sure what to tell you. Do you have an Apple Store near you you can take it to? This is the most bizarre thing I've ever read about on a tech forum, hands down.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I am at a loss for words (though apparently your iPhone isn't). Thanks for posting the video. Aside from factory resetting your phone, I'm not sure what to tell you. Do you have an Apple Store near you you can take it to? This is the most bizarre thing I've ever read about on a tech forum, hands down.
I’m telling ya! It has me freaked out because several weeks ago I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms. Since then my stomach has been hurting. I’ve talked about it at length with friends and family and now this happens?? I did read that Apple records dictation for ‘improving’ usage. I’m not a tin foil hat type of guy, but could an employee be screwing with me? I think it’s highly unlikely but I have no other ideas.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I’m telling ya! It has me freaked out because several weeks ago I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms. Since then my stomach has been hurting. I’ve talked about it at length with friends and family and now this happens?? I did read that Apple records dictation for ‘improving’ usage. I’m not a tin foil hat type of guy, but could an employee be screwing with me? I think it’s highly unlikely but I have no other ideas.
You could try to toggle dictation off and back on to delete the previous data and see if it makes a difference.

I have never seen something like this myself.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
You could try to toggle dictation off and back on to delete the previous data and see if it makes a difference.

I have never seen something like this myself.
Thank you for the suggestion! I just tried it but did not work. I think I’ll eventually have someone at Apple witness this. I’ve tried so many health related phrases but it seems to only by triggered by any used that leads to “upset to my stomach”.

Reactions: antiprotest

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
does the added "suggestion" happen only with that phrase - or can it trigger with only the word "stomach"?
I would certainly go for some kind of alternate words to use, assuming you want to continue with dictation. Maybe "gastro intestinal problems", or just GI troubles

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Could someone have put something in your auto complete settings as a (cruel) joke? I think there are text replacement settings under general/keyboard

weird that it deletes itself though…

Reactions: JM and compwiz1202

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Could someone have put something in your auto complete settings as a (cruel) joke? I think there are text replacement settings under general/keyboard

weird that it deletes itself though…

That was my first and only thought: a text replacement that someone put in there as a joke. No idea how you can make it self-delete though.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
@Analog Kid and @ManuCH That was the first place I went to but there’s nothing related to this in there. Plus, I don’t know how it could be done to make it type out and then self delete. I’d think it would just replace the words. That, and it doesn’t do this if I type it out.

Last edited:

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
does the added "suggestion" happen only with that phrase - or can it trigger with only the word "stomach"?
I would certainly go for some kind of alternate words to use, assuming you want to continue with dictation. Maybe "gastro intestinal problems", or just GI troubles
I’ve tried re-creating many different combinations of words and think I’ve nailed it down to “to my stomach” as the trigger. I’ve tried just the word stomach, other body parts, etc. It’s not a big deal to me other than not knowing how/why it’s doing it.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The "self-deletion" aspect I've seen while voice dictating before. I can't remember a specific example, but it's usually something close to what you said, but with the wrong words (normally homopones such as two vs. to vs. too, bear vs. bare, etc.) that then change to the correct words as the dictation is processed in the cloud. But that's obviously not the case here, as "stomach" should never be initially heard as an entire sentence.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
The "self-deletion" aspect I've seen while voice dictating before. I can't remember a specific example, but it's usually something close to what you said, but with the wrong words (normally homopones such as two vs. to vs. too, bear vs. bare, etc.) that then change to the correct words as the dictation is processed in the cloud. But that's obviously not the case here, as "stomach" should never be initially heard as an entire sentence.
That’s an excellent point. Now that you say that, I realize it’s done that for me on words like you mention. And in this case, it has to be ‘to my stomach’. If I just say ‘my stomach’, ‘stomach’, ‘to my gut’, etc. it will not do it.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
That’s an excellent point. Now that you say that, I realize it’s done that for me on words like you mention. And in this case, it has to be ‘to my stomach’. If I just say ‘my stomach’, ‘stomach’, ‘to my gut’, etc. it will not do it.

But "to my stomach" doesn't sound remotely like "stop worrying about your health" so it still doesn't make much sense. Add the all caps in, and it just makes it all the more strange. And we can all see your 2nd video and know that you're not pronouncing it strangely or anything.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I would definitely get Apple involved. I’m not sure what’s causing this, but if it’s on their systems it needs to get fixed and someone needs to be fired. If it’s on your device, they need to help you hunt it down.

You said it’s happening in every app, so it’s at the system level, not a Messages plugin problem…

Nbartlett

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2022
Hi, I just registered on this site because this is the only thread I’ve seen where someone is having a similar issue as me. Okay so this is so strange, and it’s been happening for a while now. Randomly when I’m using talk to text on my iPhone, the dictation will type in a phrase that I did NOT say, just how yours did, and then it immediately deletes it and keeps typing what I actually said. It’s always the same phrase but I haven’t figured out what spoken word/phrase triggers it to happen. The phrase it will put in by itself is, “Who is suing Governor Whitmer?”

😳😥🫣 it freaks me out every time! I feel like I’m being watched or hacked or something. The other day while using talk to text, I think when I said the word “hosptial” it happened. I use that word a lot because I work at a hospital, so it could be. I don’t even want to try it right now because it creeps me out. And it happens so fast that I never have time to show someone while it’s happening. My friends were like 👀 umm what? I haven’t seen/heard of anyone else having a similar issue!!

Did you happen to ever get any answers about this? I need to contact apple, it’s just so hard to explain without sounding insane lol. I don’t understand why it’s happening …..

Reactions: Kat1286

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Hi, I just registered on this site because this is the only thread I’ve seen where someone is having a similar issue as me. Okay so this is so strange, and it’s been happening for a while now. Randomly when I’m using talk to text on my iPhone, the dictation will type in a phrase that I did NOT say, just how yours did, and then it immediately deletes it and keeps typing what I actually said. It’s always the same phrase but I haven’t figured out what spoken word/phrase triggers it to happen. The phrase it will put in by itself is, “Who is suing Governor Whitmer?”

😳😥🫣 it freaks me out every time! I feel like I’m being watched or hacked or something. The other day while using talk to text, I think when I said the word “hosptial” it happened. I use that word a lot because I work at a hospital, so it could be. I don’t even want to try it right now because it creeps me out. And it happens so fast that I never have time to show someone while it’s happening. My friends were like 👀 umm what? I haven’t seen/heard of anyone else having a similar issue!!

Did you happen to ever get any answers about this? I need to contact apple, it’s just so hard to explain without sounding insane lol. I don’t understand why it’s happening …..
It's worth reporting, and I'd also mention that you've seen threads where other people are seeing similar stuff. That is pretty specific. I mean, these are deep learning systems, and they can draw some strange connections sometimes, but this doesn't feel like Siri suffered a stroke. Apple can only track this down if they hear from everyone seeing this kind of behavior. If the person you talk to doesn't treat you seriously, call again.

Reactions: arkitect

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
So weird, my first thought was a keyboard shortcut/replacement too but that's been ruled out.

If you go to Setting > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary and reset your keyboard dictionary (which adds words and phrases you commonly use even if they're not in a "proper" dictionary), does this change still happen?

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
For a while every time I'd dictate something Siri would append a "Hey" to it (it didn't matter what device iPhone, iPad, watch, Apple TV, CarPlay.

vterminus

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2022

I'm in the exact same situation, it just happened to me and freaked me out which is why I made this account. I wasn't able top find anything else online about it. Have you had any answers yet?

The Phrase I said was"four digital artworks and it auto typed a long sentence about Jeff Bezos, Amazon and She-Hulk and then immediately deleted it just like in the original video here. The part that tripped me out most was as it was deleting I took a screenshot but checked later and it wasn't in my photos. Not ruling out that this could have been my error some how but I saw the screenshot get taken at the time. Very creepy!

Also I've been trying to get it to do it again but haven't had any success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.