Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Purrific

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2023
Auto updates off. Apple TV connected to TV, TV outputs sound to Roku streambar (being used for the speaker only).

Two days ago, my Apple TV suddenly started glitching out the sound. I've now noticed that this only occurs whenever I change the volume - the sound cuts out pretty much completely, making a few glitchy noises from time to time.

The problem is the same no matter if I use the physical control, my iPad/iPhone, or the remote that came with my TV.

So far I have tried:

Resetting video settings, changing audio settings to stereo.
Reset the volume control on the remote.
Reset the remote connection.
Updated the Apple TV (even though I did not want the latest update at all).
No change.

Then I tried:

Resetting the Apple TV box to factory settings.
No change.
Unplugging from the wall for ten minutes.
No change.
Unplugging my streambar.
No change.

My TV is up to date. Everything is up to date. This just happened and when I think back, it was a couple of days after I changed the video to Dolby Vision (I have since changed it to HDR 10+, SDR, etc., and reset the whole Apple TV box, and the problem is here to stay).

I get the best picture by far from Apple TV as opposed to the inbuilt software on my TV - but, hey, at least my TV has sound.

Has anyone else had this specific problem, with the volume controls causing the sound to disappear??

Any ideas what I can try next?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
With the Streambar disconnected, are you able to play sound through the TV speakers? And it still cuts out after adjusting?

What happens when you connect AirPods or similar wireless headphones to Apple TV and adjust the volume, same issue?

Purrific

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2023
Thanks sunapple
I tried disconnecting the streambar, then I disconnected all HDMIs and plugged them back in.

Then I remembered one of my cats went into the wires behind the TV a few days ago! (not the one in the photo)

So I moved everything out so I could get to the wall plugs (I put off doing this as it is a major hassle), and I unplugged everything, then plugged everything back in and restarted, and now it is working perfectly again.

So I am an idiot not to have thought of this!! But I'm so happy I can use my Apple TV again.

Reactions: sunapple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.