Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Varmann

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
It is evident that Mac Pro will not be at the top considering price/performance.
It is also a very expensive piece of equipment for someone who do not use it to earn money.

However, my computer is by far the most used tool in my home. I use it for work related stuff, movies, music, reading, news, games, hobbies (photo), planning, contacts etc. Compared to a car that mainly is used to transport from A to B, it is way more versatile and frequently used.

I am prepared to pay more for a computer I like than for any car, because it is way more important to me.

It still not sure that I will get a 7.1, but I am considering it. I like OSX, I like a lot of my applications and I like a well built, silent, upgradable computer that just works.

Parzival

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Compared to a car that mainly is used to transport from A to B, it is way more versatile and frequently used.
I am prepared to pay more for a computer I like than for any car, because it is way more important to me.

Sticking with the car talk, one could get a cheaper car, say one without meticulously crafted aluminium-chamfered-edge-windshieldwipers that would get from point A to B just as easily and be faster as well.

Varmann

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
Sticking with the car talk, one could get a cheaper car, say one without meticulously crafted aluminium-chamfered-edge-windshieldwipers that would get from point A to B just as easily and be faster as well.
Not many question people who pays 2-3k more for a car just because “they like it better”. For others it is the same with computers.

Reactions: thisisnotmyname

Parzival

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Not many question people who pays 2-3k more for a car just because “they like it better”. For others it is the same with computers.

I totally understand (and agree) but have to say that the latest AMD CPU developments make the Mac Pro offerings seem quite paltry, and that in exchange for a lot of money...

Hopefully the upgrades will be reasonably priced, but then again this is Apple ;-)

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
I totally understand (and agree) but have to say that the latest AMD CPU developments make the Mac Pro offerings seem quite paltry, and that in exchange for a lot of money...

Hopefully the upgrades will be reasonably priced, but then again this is Apple ;-)
I definitely overpaid for the first edition Mazda Miata ~. cause... I wanted it sooooo bad!

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Tbh the only thing I really hate in Windows is how crappy drag and drop is compared to macOS, other than that it’s a bit janky and not very aesthetically pleasing, but it does its job and you get used to it, it even has its strong sides when it comes to file management.
This and the crashes!!!

Reactions: OkiRun

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
This and the crashes!!!
If you run Windows on stable and good hardware (like if you ”overpay” for a brand-name workstation or server), Windows itself is actually quite stable. I have lots of grievances towards it for various architectural and design choices Microsoft made over the years, but I can’t complain about Windows itself crashing more than comparable operating systems if you don‘t keep poking at it.

If you purchase badly written software (whether that’s due to technical incompetence or mismanagement), it’ll keep crashing no matter the stability of the operating system or its underlying hardware. That said, it’s often a good idea to use software written for the platform you’re working on rather than stuff that has been ported from something radically different.

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
I just don’t get why anybody would consider a Mac Pro if they’re specifically going to use it for After Effects. The 9900K iMac would be a lot faster.
It's the thermal throttling of the iMac that ruins the great 9900K chip. I've just been doing some research on the internet and found this test someone did for a long render with iMac i9...
first 15 minutes > 4,6 gHz (turbo boost mode)
second 15 minutes > 3,8 gHz (base clock speed)
then 1,5 hour > around 2,3 gHz (=start thermal throttling – very bad)
then the last 2 hr > around 1,5 gHz

This is one of the reasons I want to get a Mac Pro, for the constant turbo speed when doing longer renders.

Reactions: vel0city

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
It's the thermal throttling of the iMac that ruins the great 9900K chip. I've just been doing some research on the internet and found this test someone did for a long render with iMac i9...
first 15 minutes > 4,6 gHz (turbo boost mode)
second 15 minutes > 3,8 gHz (base clock speed)
then 1,5 hour > around 2,3 gHz (=start thermal throttling – very bad)
then the last 2 hr > around 1,5 gHz

This is one of the reasons I want to get a Mac Pro, for the constant turbo speed when doing longer renders.

Can someone else do the same test? A sample size of 1 isn't great.

Reactions: shuto

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Perhaps we can be of assistance...what things are you fighting in Windows?
Thanks for offering your advice.
Its mainly things in finder that don't feel the same on Windows, and when you moving between apps the finder is more important...
Quicklook is great for checking files quickly. Column view is great, and I don't understand why it isn't on PC, font management doesn't seem as good on PC. Finder labels. And all my work is archived to Mac formatted drives, so thats tricky to access from PC.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Thanks for offering your advice.
Its mainly things in finder that don't feel the same on Windows, and when you moving between apps the finder is more important...
Quicklook is great for checking files quickly. Column view is great, and I don't understand why it isn't on PC, font management doesn't seem as good on PC. Finder labels. And all my work is archived to Mac formatted drives, so thats tricky to access from PC.
Oh, I thought you were referring to a problem with Windows and not personal preferences.

Reactions: ct2k7 and ssgbryan

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Why would it lower your confidence? Apply clearly stated the 7,1 Mac Pro would be released in the fall of 2019. The end of fall 2019 isn't for another three weeks. Anyone who has ever followed this industry knows when a manufacturer says "...in the fall/winter/spring/summer/Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4 of..." means the very last day of whatever time frame they say they're going to release it in. There is no reason, at this time, to believe Apple won't follow through on releasing the 7,1 Mac Pro any earlier than as close to 12/22/2019 with the release being a handful of units at this time. The majority will have to wait until later in the winter 2019 for their units. This is what happened with the 6,1 Mac Pro and there's no reason to feel that Apple will do any better with the 7,1 Mac Pro. If 12/22/2019 passes and the 7,1 Mac Pro isn't available for order (order, not delivery) then everyone can complain.

If a release around dec 22 is a foregone conclusion, and Apple and everyone who follows this industry knows it anyway, why wouldn’t they just say that back in August ?

Also, why not release bto options ?

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
If a release around dec 22 is a foregone conclusion, and Apple and everyone who follows this industry knows it anyway, why wouldn’t they just say that back in August ?

Also, why not release bto options ?
They have clearly said fall of 2019. Not sure how much clearer they can be about it. As for BTO options I can't recall Apple having done so prior to the actual release of a product.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Fall of 2019 is a large window of time: between September to late December.

You're saying they and everyone else knew it was going to be released not in September, not in October, not in November.... but in late December.

So why didn't they just say the Mac Pro will be released in late December?

My point is, I don't think it was a forgone conclusion, and it would have been nice for them to get it to us quicker for a few business reasons. "losing confidence" was probably inaccurate to say, but they DO need to earn back a little goodwill from the professional community, and stuff like that plus releasing BTO options would go a long way. That's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manzanito and shuto

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Fall of 2019 is a large window of time: between September to late December.

You're saying they and everyone else knew it was going to be released not in September, not in October, not in November.... but in late December.

So why didn't they just say the Mac Pro will be released in late December?
Because "Fall 2019" allows Apple to lead their blind followers on better than "December 22, 2019". The wise professional left Apple long ago. Only the foolish remain, clinging on to the idea that Apple really cares about them.

I like Apple's products but I am by no means disillusioned that they don't give a rats a** about the professional market anymore. Why any professional would stay with them is beyond me.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
There it is.
[automerge]1575248781[/automerge]
Because "Fall 2019" allows Apple to lead their blind followers on better than "December 22, 2019". The wise professional left Apple long ago. Only the foolish remain, clinging on to the idea that Apple really cares about them.

I like Apple's products but I am by no means disillusioned that they don't give a rats a** about the professional market anymore. Why any professional would stay with them is beyond me.

Apple certainly cares to some extent; otherwise they wouldn't be releasing the 2019 Mac Pro and XDR monitor. The question that remains is: How much, and for how long.

If they can provide reasonably powerful equipment that "just works" out of the box, with no dicking around, requiring no IT, with the benefits of macOS and the mac ecosystem, then there is a still a market for it, even if the prices are higher than competitors.

It's yet to be seen if they can provide this effectively and want to continually, like they did in the past.

Last edited:

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Apple certainly cares to some extent; otherwise they wouldn't be releasing the 2019 Mac Pro and XDR monitor. The question that remains is: How much, and for how long.
IMO Apple doesn't care about the professional otherwise they would:
  • Update their professional desktop system on a regular basis
  • Provide guidance to their professional customers on their plans to support them
  • Stop leaving their professional customers guessing what they're going to do to support them

If they can provide reasonably powerful equipment that "just works" out of the box, with no dicking around, requiring no IT, with the benefits of macOS and the mac ecosystem, then there is a still a market for it, even if the prices are higher than competitors.
Can we please drop this "just works" out of the box argument in the past where it belongs? Apple doesn't provide a "just works" system any more than any other alternative. "Just works" is from a bygone era. Their products are no more "just works" than any other modern day offering.

It's yet to be seen if they can provide this effectively and want to continually, like they did in the past.
The past? Yes, if you mean over a decade ago. It has literally been almost a decade since Apple showed any real interest in their professional customers. Otherwise they wouldn't be selling the 6,1 Mac Pro for the price that they are today.

Apple has been a real disappointment for any professional customer. Which is why I made the statement "Why any professional would stay with them is beyond me."

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Apple has been a real disappointment for any professional customer. Which is why I made the statement "Why any professional would stay with them is beyond me."

What makes even less sense to me is why a person who has chosen to migrate to a different platform would still find it worthwhile to hang around on this forum apparently to simply complain about a platform they no longer use. I'm glad you found a solution that works better for you but I'm puzzled why you are such an active participant in a thread about hardware you don't want to buy which runs software you no longer use.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL

I disagree. MP 7.1 is Apple's feeble attempt at showing off people that Apple's still aiming for professional market. Otherwise, it wouldn't have taken that long to replace 2013 MP 6.1.

I see Apple's trying to change its image from thinner is better at all cost mentality which resulted in more and more departure from Mac by Professional market.
Apple first tried to remedy this by introducing iMac Pro, and MBP 16" to gain people's confidence in its portable computer. Now, MP 7.1 will be introduced to the market, and nobody will be able to say Apple's computers are for cafe mongers only.

To show off to general public, Apple must have a line of model that can show off its greatness in the top market, and they did it. MP 7.1 would probably end up as a financial failure. However, the intrinsic benefit of having the top of the line Apple and being able to show off to market that Apple's serious in computing in itself can be meaningful enough.

Personally, I welcome Apple's effort nonetheless. It's so satisfying to see Apple's giving up design over function, thinness at any cost mentality, and actualy have hope that Apple, at one day, would provide a practical model meant for serious market performance not like MP 7.1.

Reactions: airdrop

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Personally, I welcome Apple's effort nonetheless. It's so satisfying to see Apple's giving up design over function, thinness at any cost mentality, and actualy have hope that Apple, at one day, would provide a practical model meant for serious market performance not like MP 7.1.

This kind of baffles me. Unless we're looking for dual socket, the 7,1 is at the top of the market, and so far seems in the same price range as it's competitors.

There is nothing feeble about it.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
This kind of baffles me. Unless we're looking for dual socket, the 7,1 is at the top of the market, and so far seems in the same price range as it's competitors.

There is nothing feeble about it.
You are correct, in 2017~2018 era. and perhaps beginning of 2019 year as well, but not for 2020. CPU market has never been this volatile in recent years. If VEGA II delivers with reasonable price, then your view may hold true even in 2020 for some people. We shall see.

Reactions: Parzival
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.