Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
I believe the imMP will be very expensive for its actual capabilities but much cheaper than predicted by the most narcists Fanboys, mostly due the little value that brings it's GPU setup and the chipset which won't enable to update the CPU for an newer generation Xeon, also expect lower sales than the trashcan due it's entry price. (But still possible it will be lower than 6000$ by CTO).

The afterburner card will drive more sales to the imMP than 28core CPU and Vega II Duo.

I think the most "popular" Mac pro will be loaded with an 12 core CPU, 32gb ram, single Vega II GPU, afterburner card and 1tb SSD (boot/app drive), and should cost below 8000$

And popular options will be the internal adapters for spinners and pcie m.2 riser cards, video capture devices too as the drivers support arrives.
a CPU, and GPU upgrade, afterburner card and additional 744GB @ $2,000?
Hmm that sounds reasonable. lets see!

Reactions: Mago

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I'd expect the SSD pricing to be similar to existing Macs with T2 based SSD storage. Maybe not exactly the same because we don't know the full details of how the storage works - the imagery gives the impression it's slotted, not soldered. Anyway, 256 to 1TB in the 2018 Mini is $400.

The tray price on the 12 core W-3235 is about $650 more than the 8-core W-3223, but historically Apple has a pretty reasonable markup on cpu upgrades so if that is less than a $1k upgrade I'll be shocked, and I'd more likely expect that $2K to get you just the CPU and SSD upgrade.

I have no clue about the GPUs (I have no special use for it besides driving some basic 4k displays) but the only guesses at VegaII pricing I could find suggested those cards (and I have to assume they meant the dual card) would rival the base price of the Mac Pro itself. Which just sounds ****ing crazy to me - the same article suggested the Quadro RTX is the direct competition here, and they seem to vary from 1K to 5.5K (just searching quickly on amazon for rough retail pricing).

Reactions: chfilm

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
The displays, the Time Capsule and the Airport line are all a result of Cook’s pursuit of high, higher, highest margins and those products just don’t have a high enough margin for Cook’s taste, IMHO.

The rationale, for sure, was that there’s no money to make in these “saturated” markets, but I have always thought the decisions were idiotic in respect to how easy those add-on sales are for your sales force in the Apple Store and the chance of a value add such as a spiffy new monitor with bulletproof TB3 connections plus a free built-in Dock to ease acceptance and extra capabilities added into the Airport routers such as being a caching server for Software Updates, Music or TV/Videos, Remote Desktop access, remote file access, et al. But what do I know...

As for Xserve, that was just an idiot move when you want to retain your Pro customers and offer a true workflow for certain customers who will buy YOUR (Apple’s) solution. Perhaps they didn’t want to screw Lumaforge and other startups, but generally, Apple simply doesn’t get Enterprise, never has and doesn’t really care.

I get it, Enterprise is thankless, often quite witless and mostly anti-Apple, but Xserve really was a great product and Apple’s chance to have a long term impact in a few key creator markets and keep customers inside that garden forever was completely squandered. Again, I don’t know the actual politics since Apple and it’s not like they have suffered from a sales/profit viewpoint, but mindshare from Pros took it in the shorts and really shouldn’t have...I know Apple has finite resources and iPhone sucked up all of Apple’s resources at the time...and they paid a terrible price...Pros did too. I dare anyone here, at Apple, friggin’ NASA to argue with me that selling the 2013 Mac Pro unchanged for SIX years was a good idea.

To my way of thinking, Tim Cook’s Apple has ceded too much leadership in the Pro/Creator/Content market to Windows and Linux and I get it, iOS, iPhone and iPad is all consuming to keep competitors at bay and Wall Street happy, but that double edge sword HAS cost Apple more than they know. Or will admit.

Obviously, I would have run things differently, but I still don’t know if I could have as sometimes you have to make hard choices, dispassionate choices.

Just my 2¢.
apple should of had Mac os Server for VM's that was OK to run on NON APPLE HARDWARE.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Apple never really got enterprise support though. I wouldn't trust some hipster re-image of Justin Long in my datacenter to be honest. 'Oh we have to send your app servers in, we don't have those very basic parts on hand, it should take 2-3 weeks.' If you've ever had a taste of what enterprise support was like ( staff available for sev1 24/7, same day parts availability, expert consultant resources available for training/integration/etc, onsite magic jazz hands), you wouldn't confuse it for what Apple has sold as enterprise support.

To be fair, AppleCare for Enterprise is handled by IBM and they do know Enterprise Support. We had ACE in my last shop for our MBPs (used by our devs) and we had access to same-day on-site servicing and such as we did with our Dell products (often the same tech handled both).

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
To be fair, AppleCare for Enterprise is handled by IBM and they do know Enterprise Support. We had ACE in my last shop for our MBPs (used by our devs) and we had access to same-day on-site servicing and such as we did with our Dell products (often the same tech handled both).

In other countries (looking at you .. UK), it's not handled by IBM and definitely not same day for a failed keyboard on a MBP.

Reactions: martyjmclean

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I'd expect the SSD pricing to be similar to existing Macs with T2 based SSD storage. Maybe not exactly the same because we don't know the full details of how the storage works - the imagery gives the impression it's slotted, not soldered. Anyway, 256 to 1TB in the 2018 Mini is $400.

Apple has been already shipping soldered and slotted SSD capacities at the same price. The iMac Pro already has the basic system that the Mac Pro is going to use. Same T2 chip. Same NAND daughter cards (maybe with a new color scheme but extremely likely same implementation.).

Difference in $/TB pricing between MBP 16" and iMac Pro ? Zero. $400/TB at the sub 2TB range and a modestly better $300/TB up in the upper half. Mac Pro is probably getting he same consistency model.

[ The soldered is probably cheaper for Apple very short term, but the long term board repair costs are higher. iMac Pro and Mac Pro ...... really , really , do not want to replace board overhead. )

The tray price on the 12 core W-3235 is about $650 more than the 8-core W-3223, but historically Apple has a pretty reasonable markup on cpu upgrades so if that is less than a $1k upgrade I'll be shocked, and I'd more likely expect that $2K to get you just the CPU and SSD upgrade.

Probably $400 from the 256GB to jump to the 1TB. That would leave it pretty far south of $2K. If want to jump to 2TB then yeah.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
the only guesses at VegaII pricing I could find suggested those cards (and I have to assume they meant the dual card) would rival the base price of the Mac Pro itse

Compare the Vega II with Quadro RTX it's much like compare an F35 with an mig 21.

The Vega II just matches the RTX2060S performance (a 400$ card) but offers 4x ram, closest pricing speculation could bring the Radeon VII (a 700$ card) as the Vega II it's basically the same card with twice RAM (non ecc) on the other extreme the Radeon instinct mi50 marches Vega II ram (but ECC) with Server grade components (& warranty) sells now by less than 2000$, having this a Vega II should sell among 700-2000$ but much closer to 700 than 2000, I bet it will cost to upgrade from rx580 to single Vega II about 600-800$ and 1600 for the first Vega ii Duo and 2800 for dual Vega II duo cartridges.
[automerge]1575942660[/automerge]
I bet apple's 6000$ Mac will be the basic non bto model already including a basic usable configuration as 8 core CPU and a Vega ii GPU with 512 GB SSD and 32gb ram, so basically I estimated 1000$ for the afterburner card, 600$ for 4 extra CPU cores and 400$ for 512 extra gb of storage.

Last edited:

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
2013 came online to the apple store, 3:00am EST
imac pro came online to the apple store, 9:00am EST.

Any guesses to this release?

also: "Notify me" button has now been removed from apple store for Mac Pro 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: OkiRun

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
2013 came online to the apple store, 3:00am EST
imac pro came online to the apple store, 9:00am EST.

Any guesses to this release?

Some folks have said the "save the date" ical link marks a 9:00 am PST (to 11:00 or noon ?) block of time. [ That's 5:00 pm GMT. ] The 3:00 am thing was a bad idea. Doubtful they are going back there.

if they'd want the Hollywood purchase managers sitting at their desk at work that would make sense. (and it isn't crazy late in Europe). ... big planet can't make everyone happy. [ and if there are 3rd parties who have tested "goodies" ready to go on their updated websites ... 9:00 am PST probably works better too. ]
[automerge]1575951963[/automerge]
I never got the e-mail., but 12:00 pm EST! ah man

Hey, ... folks on the East Coast can get some work done before playing "whack a buy" button at lunchtime.

Reactions: OkiRun and tevion5

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
apple should of had Mac os Server for VM's that was OK to run on NON APPLE HARDWARE.

Everyone asks Apple to make the same mistake that nearly killed them years ago, and acts surprised when they don't do that.
in how many hours we will be able to BTO the mac pro?!

Assuming it's going up at 9AM Pacific. They've already got a new splash page for the "pro" stuff but no buy links yet. https://www.apple.com/mac/

Reactions: tevion5

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Since they started the assembly line some weeks/months ago and presumably have boxed inventory, is it reasonable to assume the first ones built will come with Mojave?

vailr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
“never mind if it’s profitable, do what I want” would not be a great pitch to a publicly traded company.

What they may lose in profit per unit, they make up for in volume of units sold.
Such a "Mac Pro Junior" machine would easily outsell the top of line 2019 Mac Pro.
They'd be at least as profitable as equivalent Dell, HP or Lenova desktop machines manage to be.
Not to mention: an extra $100 or $200 Apple Tax tacked on.

Last edited:

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Everyone asks Apple to make the same mistake that nearly killed them years ago, and acts surprised when they don't do that.

Apple was pretty much a different company back when the clones were out. The Mac is such a small percentage of Apples revenue now that it could completely go away and not even scratch the surface of total profits. If they did license MacOS out, I think they would be very strict on the requirements and wouldn’t just sell it outright like Windows. I think Dell has said in the past that they would love to offer MacOS as an OS option, I can’t remember where I read that.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Given Michael Dell's previous comments about Apple, I find that somewhat hard to believe. But maybe they're just sick of being a Microsoft lackey.
When Michael Dell said what he said, Apple was on the verge of going under. I don’t think anyone expected for Apple to make the comeback they did when Steve Jobs came back.

Reactions: ct2k7

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Since they started the assembly line some weeks/months ago and presumably have boxed inventory, is it reasonable to assume the first ones built will come with Mojave?

No. Even more so when the current Tech Specs says Catalina ( macOS 10.15). During the summer it said Mojave but that was merely a facade placeholder. When Apple shipped 10.15 the page changed.

What probably have for the very early boxes is that initial really flakey 10.15.0 version. 10.15.1 didnt' come until Oct 29 2019 (which probably is after the production ramp started. ) . Hopefully those got shipped to beta testers , internal Apple use , or are lined up for store demo units . (i.e., someone who will fix it and won't mind. ) [ In the pre-ramp in September it would have been beta Catalina. ]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.