Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Not unless the monitor supports the feature, unfortunately.
... Well, obviously. I did literally say it could allow future versions or firmware updated versions of 6K and 8K displays, to support full resolution @ 60Hz, over a single cable setup without requiring TB3.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Is there ever a case where that would matter on a Mac? Isn't the only non TB3 USB-C port on any Mac the one on the discontinued MacBook (or is there another one somewhere)? Unless you're running a $5000 monitor off a 5 watt computer, you have TB3 on any port the cable fits, no?

It could certainly help PC users, but is Apple going to bother with a feature that doesn't matter to any Mac user, or is there some implication I'm not thinking of?

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
What a load of drivel. it's only the crazy amount of RAM that you could install that makes it so expensive.

I mean, you can spend X amount on a car – or you could have it impregnated with diamonds, making it extortionately expensive. And some can afford to, but not every car is that same friggin' price. Stupid halfwitted 'journalism'.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Is there ever a case where that would matter on a Mac?
If a monitor vendor wanted to offer a very high res display, using DSC over USB-C would open up options for PC users not using TB3 equipped video cards.

Case in point: the Dell 8K.

Edit:
This would help Mac users because it's more choices of high resolution display available, without needing to resort to weird two-cable setups.

Last edited:

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I wish I could configure it without any GPU or RAM at all and save a few bucks. I’d run with a standard GPU until I can save and get the MPX Vega II Duo on its own.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Why? Is it because now that the Mac Pro is available nobody wants to talk about Windows any more?
With the release of the 7,1 Mac Pro the topic is no longer relevant. This thread looks to have covered almost every subject and could probably continue going indefinitely.

Reactions: chfilm

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Are you able to buy the MPX modules from them yet?
Yep.

E90E22A5-D307-47AD-A563-33583EBA98DA.png

Reactions: ct2k7

vel0city

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2017
What I learned on the internet today, by vel0city aged 48 and three quarters - some things cost more money than other things.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

And it's interesting (but logical) to note: the 580X routes four streams of DP to the "system" ports - presumably because it provides no TB3 ports directly on the card itself.

All the other MPX cards provide 4x TB3 ports themselves, and they only route 2 streams of DP to the "system" ports.

It is also lower costs ( more affordable card ) not to have Thunderbolt on board. Also the demographic of folks who just need a "just fast enough" GPU typically means they are using 3rd party displays with HDMI inputs. ( the just enough to see the display options will have HDMI also. A contemporary generic TV will have ...... HDMI. ) . That's why.

As for the 4 DP1.4 streams routed to the standard MP 2019 TB ports, that is what the MPX module is suppose to do. The 580X isn't the 'odd' one. The Vega II i the odd one. The Vega II Duo does do all four. There are two GPUs. There is more than enough DP output lanes to do 4 on edge and 4 to the host. One GPU does one set and the other can do all the internals . ( or provide two that the main display GPU falls short on. ). The reason why the Vega II doesn't do all 4 is that it runs out of output streams.

When the W5700X it will be a tie. It took joins the ranks of the Vega II and runs out of DP streams to provide internally.

when the MPX GPU module comes up short on streams, each one of the internal TBv3 controllers gets one video stream so can get one stream out of the pair it provisions.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
The 580X isn't the 'odd' one. The Vega II i the odd one. The Vega II Duo does do all four.

The W5700X also does only two. As you said (and as I surmised, but I missed that the Vega duo does 4 internal) - a single gpu doesn’t have enough dp streams.

Edit: two many uses of the word streams.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
... Well, obviously. I did literally say it could allow future versions or firmware updated versions of 6K and 8K displays, to support full resolution @ 60Hz, over a single cable setup without requiring TB3.

I’m just a salty owner of the aforementioned Dell 8K monitor :p

At least it looks stunning at 4K HiDPI mode and makes the 5K iMacs look like toy monitors.

Reactions: Stephen.R

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
You mean routing DP streams to the "system" TB3 ports (i.e. the ones on the Apple I/O card and top of the case)? I don't believe so - I think that's part of what the additional PCIe lanes of the MPX modules are used for.

And it's interesting (but logical) to note: the 580X routes four streams of DP to the "system" ports - presumably because it provides no TB3 ports directly on the card itself.

All the other MPX cards provide 4x TB3 ports themselves, and they only route 2 streams of DP to the "system" ports.

Sorry, I meant using any video card with MPX

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Anybody can guess about the new WX5700 and Infinity fabric? This will probably be reserved for the Vegas or?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Anybody can guess about the new WX5700 and Infinity fabric? This will probably be reserved for the Vegas or?

Stock Navi does not seem to support Infinity Fabric right now, so my guess is it will be Vega only.

Both GPUs can both be used at once, but without the high speed link, it's probably going to be reserved for parallel compute/graphics task like on the 2013.

Reactions: chfilm

okboomer

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2019
ended up getting the 16 core, 96 gb ram, Vega, 4 tb ssd for $12700

might add the screen later depending on reviews.

my wallet def feels it but yea w/e

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The 5700 is not listed as a “duo” card (ie with two GPUs on one card) so it would have no need for infinity fabric.

Infinity Fabric is not limited to the duos. It can also be used with two of the single GPU Vega 2 cards. Apple sells an Infinity Fabric bridge to link the cards.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Is that on the accessory store somewhere?

edit to add: meaning it is a physical product, not a protocol operating across PCIe or such?

So the Infinity Fabric bridge is used either in a two Vega 2 card configuration, creating a fabric of 2 GPUs. Or you can use it if you have two Vega 2 Duos, creating a uber fabric of four GPUs.

It is a physical bridge and you can actually see it in a lot of the product shots. Apple likes to show the Mac Pro with the two Vega 2 Duos in shots, and you can see a strap looking thing across the two cards.

I have not seen it sold separately. I'm assuming it might just be bundled with the Vega 2 kits. It is referenced in the support and install docs.

I don not know what happens if you try to put a Vega 2 and Vega 2 Duo into the same fabric.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.