Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
They could just do a silent update .

I'm leaning that way and if it is, then obviously there won't be anything at WWDC.
More likely the silent update at the end of summer when there will be enough supply
of Polaris/Pascal product for the few thousand trashcans Apple will sell every year to the FCPX refugees.

Reactions: pat500000

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
I'm leaning that way and if it is, then obviously there won't be anything at WWDC.
More likely the silent update at the end of summer when there will be enough supply
of Polaris/Pascal product for the few thousand trashcans Apple will sell every year to the FCPX refugees.

Agreed.

A silent update for the MP makes sense because of the smaller population interested.

I would even think that it continues that way for the remainder of the decade.

Possibly a 10 year cycle?

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think they'd make so many major changes on a machine from 2013 and pass them as a silent update. Silent updates are usually of a different nature. Besides that, nMP is a prestige machine, they'll probably want to brag about it.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I don't think they'd make so many major changes on a machine from 2013 and pass them as a silent update. Silent updates are usually of a different nature. Besides that, nMP is a prestige machine, they'll probably want to brag about it.
I don't think people would take them seriously if they brag about it again. It would be "meh..hurry up with release.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007

Don't forget Logic Pro X users that want more than four CPU cores.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Agreed.

A silent update for the MP makes sense because of the smaller population interested.

I would even think that it continues that way for the remainder of the decade.

Possibly a 10 year cycle?

No way for a silent update, Apple will promote its own VR solutions and Tools the MP will be a central focus.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I just checked my "friend" aka DarknetGuy, describes no changes on WWDC, Mac Pro and Macbook Pro Announcement secured, also likely the all-new mac mini radically smaller and maybe more powerful.

About the next mac mini: it will be SSD-only, no spinner option, NO INTERNAL PSU, will be powered either thru USB-C Power Brick or Thru Thunderbolt/USB-C displays. The New mini look like semi-cubic about 1/3 Airport Extreme. ( I can imagine something like an intel NUC)

I Asked about a Mac Server: APPLE IS NOT DEVELOPING ANY NEW OSX SERVER HARDWARE, Apple have tested some special secured DOM that's work together TPM to enforce a tamper proof OSX Server Boot on commodity xeon server hardware (non apple), but this is an internal development, unlikely apple will sell this DOM, at least he is not aware on this, but this development exist.

About the next Mac Pro, base model may include NO ECC ram, maybe neither a Xeon cpu, no last word yet.

Apple fear weak iPhone sales, thus want to push hard on other products.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I just checked my "friend" aka DarknetGuy, describes no changes on WWDC, Mac Pro and Macbook Pro Announcement secured, also likely the all-new mac mini radically smaller and maybe more powerful.

About the next mac mini: it will be SSD-only, no spinner option, NO INTERNAL PSU, will be powered either thru USB-C Power Brick or Thru Thunderbolt/USB-C displays. The New mini look like semi-cubic about 1/3 Airport Extreme. ( I can imagine something like an intel NUC)

I Asked about a Mac Server: APPLE IS NOT DEVELOPING ANY NEW OSX SERVER HARDWARE, Apple have tested some special secured DOM that's work together TPM to enforce a tamper proof OSX Server Boot on commodity xeon server hardware (non apple), but this is an internal development, unlikely apple will sell this DOM, at least he is not aware on this, but this development exist.

About the next Mac Pro, base model may include NO ECC ram, maybe neither a Xeon cpu, no last word yet.

Base model 6-core i7.

Watch

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think people would take them seriously if they brag about it again. It would be "meh..hurry up with release.

Hehe, it's apple. Of course they will brag. And people will do exactly as you described, nonetheless. :D
All we can do is hope that they will have something solid to brag about this time.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
No way for a silent update, Apple will promote its own VR solutions and Tools the MP will be a central focus.

excitedkid.jpg

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Base model 6-core i7.

Watch

That's what I was thinking/hoping, but this

The 6850K cost $600+ . The E5 1620-1630 v3 cost $292-372. Apple isn't going to "eat" the $200+ ( plus 30% mark up) between those two. Unless Intel bumps the base 1600 series up to 6 cores and keeps the price the same .... Apple is probably going to pick the new 1620-1630 v4 that is the same price as the 1620 v2 they have in the base systems now.
Intel is increasing the prices anyway.Doubtful Apple is going to "double down" on that start off $200+ higher still in the component line up.

is the more likely scenario, I fear...

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Hehe, it's apple. Of course they will brag. And people will do exactly as you described, nonetheless. :D
All we can do is hope that they will have something solid to brag about this time.
"Thank you, thank you... No really thank you.. Today I would like to introduce Siri for OS X"

"Aahhhh.......oooooh" audience response.
[doublepost=1464988285][/doublepost]

I'll believe anything... Lol. If it's secured... All relief .

Reactions: antonis

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015

Oh yeah.

I forgot about the VR/AR positioning.

It would have to be something more magical than MS HoloLens.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
I just checked my "friend" aka DarknetGuy, describes no changes on WWDC, Mac Pro and Macbook Pro Announcement secured...

It sounds like an intelligent list of things that apple should do, but let's see.

The great thing is, VR/AR is going to make every computer manufacturer take GPUs seriously, including apple. So if they don't provide the option to drastically increase the GPU power across their ranges (eGPU/VR capable cards), they are going to lose the VR/AR race as a developer and content consumption platform - And that's a market you don't want to miss out in the next 5 years.

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
VR doesn't fit into Apple's culture. Games? no. Wearing something on your head? no. Demanding hardware? no.

Even if VR turns out to be the next big thing I am more than willing to believe Apple will miss the boat. You're more likely to see an Apple car.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
If you consider how lackluster software is on Apple platform if we think about industry standards, there is a lot of performance to squeeze from hardware on this platform.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2016/...ions_of_Intel_Xeon_E5-1600_v4_processors.html
They're coming!

P.S. VR is not only the "display". It is also UI. Games for VR are completely primitive form of it, and currently to see what is VR capable of, we are bottlenecked from hardware, and software perspectives.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
VR doesn't fit into Apple's culture. Games? no. Wearing something on your head? no. Demanding hardware? no.

Aha!

This fits perfectly into my master plan.

I have Apple EXACTLY where I want them to be.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
It fits really well with Apple - not from a gaming perspective but from future content creation and consumption.

Imagine being able to build things with your hands in a virtual 3D world - an architect could build, walk around and show off a new building to clients. Or immersive video experiences, such as going on a property website and taking a tour of a new flat in your home.

VR isn't perfect yet, but software takes years to build, the steps need to happen soon if they are to win any mind and developer share in this area.

Edit: https://www.tiltbrush.com

Mago

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
what's the thinking behind an i7 instead of xeon.. they'll need to use xeons in the higher core count configurations so why do you think they'd use an i7 for the base model?

Only justification for an i7 is to justify non-ecc, also some users still think an i7 is faster and a xeon more durable... (neither)

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
I think that GPU's capable of DP1.3 or better are the only viable for nMP v2... so no Fiji.

And if 150W is the max TDP, then
Polaris 10 Pro and XT
Under clocked GTX 1080

It would be great to get AMD and Nvidia GPUs in the mac pro and I think it would go a long way to making people more accepting of some of the compromises of the new form factor. The downsides is the added cost of designing multiple custom form factor cards. The other cost is a less universal platform in that there would be less incentive to build your apps in OpenCL/Metal if there is a CUDA option. Apple does not want to give up control of its GPU compute options even if CUDA has wider support.

Yeah this is a good point. At least it isn't a downgrade... the IPC increase will make these CPUs faster at least than Ivy Bridge. Why do these 4 core CPUs have a 140W TDP if they are only clocked 3.7-3.8 GHz? You can purchase 4 core desktop CPUs with higher clocks and lower TDP.

This is because TDP is not necessarily indicative of actual power usage. For example the 4 core Core i7-6700K uses roughly the same 100-110 W of power that the 6 core 6850K uses.

I am ready to believe. They could kill it if they gave the mac platform some love. The mac mini has been neutered ever since they removed the quad-core option.

As for a Core i7 option in the mac pro, I doubt it would save much money. The Core i7 enthusiast CPUs sell for almost exactly the same as their Xeon-E5 16XX equivalents. They also share the same motherboard platform. The only savings might be in the cost difference between ECC and non-ECC memory. I doubt that its significant.

Given some of the rumor sites that are reporting that there won't be much hardware at WWDC, I am trying to temper my expectations. Your rumors are music to my ears though.

It sounds like an intelligent list of things that apple should do, but let's see.

The great thing is, VR/AR is going to make every computer manufacturer take GPUs seriously, including apple. So if they don't provide the option to drastically increase the GPU power across their ranges (eGPU/VR capable cards), they are going to lose the VR/AR race as a developer and content consumption platform - And that's a market you don't want to miss out in the next 5 years.

Every computer manufacturer has been falling all over themselves to offer something that is "VR capable." They all see dollar signs in their eyes because of the expensive hardware it requires. I doubt Apple is going to clumsily throw together a powerful machine and market it as "VR Ready." At this point I don't see Apple positioning the Mac Pro as VR anything. They may mention it for VR content creation but Apple has a long ways to go to catch up on graphics APIs and driver support if they ever want to support a headset.

Also given that only a small fraction of macs sold even have a discrete GPU (let alone one that is VR capable) they still have a ways to go. Something like an external GPU would probably be necessary hardware such that anyone with a mac can purchase one if they want to buy a headset and experience VR.

I am not saying Apple will never make anything VR related but this is one of those technologies that I think they will wait a year or two to see how the market starts to shake out. Right now its not clear whether it will be a fad or have a lasting impact on content consumption. If and when they do decide to enter the market it would likely be with their own headset that integrates well into OS X and iOS. They have a lot of the technical knowledge on whats needed to build it. They need to find a way to make the technology accessible in a way that others haven't.

It wouldn't surprise me though if Metal v2 got some VR related hooks though or had a focus on reducing input lag/display response.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Also given that only a small fraction of macs sold even have a discrete GPU (let alone one that is VR capable) they still have a ways to go. Something like an external GPU would probably be necessary hardware such that anyone with a mac can purchase one if they want to buy a headset and experience VR.
Absolutely perfect for Apple's business model. Instead of 80% margins on $50 dongles for networks and monitors - a $600 dongle for VR.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
That's what I was thinking/hoping, but this

is the more likely scenario, I fear...
Only justification for an i7 is to justify non-ecc, also some users still think an i7 is faster and a xeon more durable... (neither)

Check out the Geekbench Multi-Core scores. The eight-core i7 is no slouch but of course you're limited to a single CPU board and less memory. But one plus is being able to over clock if you dare. There is a new Broadwell i7 10-core but it's a whopping $1749 at newegg.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
I sure hope this is true, and that nMP will be announced at WWDC. But I doubt the rMBP will surface now. If they do mention an updated model, it should be Kaby Lake later on, USB-C only, I'd skip the OLED panel but OK.
Regarding i7 on nMP, to me it makes no sense. In terms of cost, nothing to gain. I don't see Apple going non-ECC on nMP, that could make it look like less of a workstation. And Xeons are non overclockable, i7s are which could be a problem for Apple, although that's something they might be able to lock at the firmware level, maybe.
But that would possibly require firmware that supports both models, of different versions - remember Xeons and i7s support different functionality.
Don't think so honestly.
I'm also not so enthusiastic when it comes to VR/AR. Apple will surely wait, like always. They will not offer a solution that won't provide the best experience, and right now it's all still very much meh.
[doublepost=1465046492][/doublepost]http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xeon-skylake-purley-cpu,31980.html

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.