Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
Here's what I think we may see in 2020, each one is independent and does rely on the other predictions ;)

• 16" form factor, its quite clear that the current design is too thin and temps reach almost 100c almost immediately, where as other PC designs easily run at 70c - 80c when pushed
  • ARM based MBPs, I think Apple wants more control and given the issues that Intel has had, they're moving to ARM
  • T3 chip will be used to further offload CPU work and lock the Mac down even more.
  • butterfly keyboard gen 4a or gen 5. Apple is seemingly deeply committed this keyboard design, even though it has few fans and has a bad reputation for reliability.
While I don't disagree with you per se I would note the following…
  • Any new 16" sized MBP will be through the lessening of the bezels rather than through the increasing of the body. I can't image Apple giving up on their love of thinness at this current time so for the most part the thermal constraints are going to persist.
  • ARM will come but whether this will bring any real tangible benefits to the customer/end user is debatable at this point. While an iPad Pro can Geekbench as well as what Intel can do that only part of it, so time will tell if there are real world gains in performance and/or thermals. The only thing I can guarantee is that it's going to be costly, as with it will come software upgrade costs. I'm not going through a 4th processor change with Apple and promised myself to sit out any next one… at least until I'm 100% certain. I've got decent enough computers to sit this out completely and/or use it to do a transition to Windows.
  • Haven't they locked down the Mac enough with T2?!
  • I think the butterfly keyboard will remain due to the love affair with thinness. I think Apple will continue to refine it until it "isn't bad", this is different to and opposed to being "good/great".

Reactions: simonmet

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Any new 16" sized MBP will be through the lessening of the bezels rather than through the increasing of the body
That's possible, but the current generation is horrible at managing heat, and an extra inch of actual space will go a long way.

ARM will come but whether this will bring any real tangible benefits to the customer/end user is debatable at this point.
I agree, I've long said that I'll leave the mac platform if Apple did this, but sadly with the issues with the past few years, I've already moveed away.

Haven't they locked down the Mac enough with T2?!
I think we'll be seeing it harder to install other operating systems, and while not Tx directly, but I wouldn't be surprised at not being able to side-load apps (non-MAS apps).

I think the butterfly keyboard will remain due to the love affair with thinness. I
Yup, that's my take as well :)

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah, I have no doubt whatsoever that a move to ARM will be good (great) for Apple. I'm less sure about whether it'll be good for existing customers.

Reactions: c0ppo

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
The 2020 will have an BTO for a better cpu for 200$, for a better dGPU for 200$ and, for the first time, we will have a 200$ option for a different keyboard than the default one
So, bottom line, if you want a reliable keyboard you have to option it when you order from Apple

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Here's what I think we may see in 2020, each one is independent and does rely on the other predictions ;)

• 16" form factor, its quite clear that the current design is too thin and temps reach almost 100c almost immediately, where as other PC designs easily run at 70c - 80c when pushed
  • ARM based MBPs, I think Apple wants more control and given the issues that Intel has had, they're moving to ARM
  • T3 chip will be used to further offload CPU work and lock the Mac down even more.
  • butterfly keyboard gen 4a or gen 5. Apple is seemingly deeply committed this keyboard design, even though it has few fans and has a bad reputation for reliability.

I think your comments are pretty spot on.

Using an ARM t3 chip would benefit a lot on hybrid models...

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I thought they might offer Vega 16 as standard this year (at least on the higher-end model) to entice some holdouts in, but no. The only changes of note are a CPU update and yet another keyboard fix. How old is that Radeon architecture now?

Apple is milking this thing, as is typical for the company. The value proposition (or lack thereof) remains unchanged, for now.

Last edited:

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Need some opinions on this: I am sure the 16 inch is coming next year and I really want to get the largest MacBook pro available; however I need a Mac laptop now. Does it make sense to buy a cheap refurbished MacBook Pro (e.g. the ones with 256gb ssd and 555 graphic card) and sell it next year when the 16 inch is accounted?

I am actually thinking about getting the Razer Blade pro 17 but then I don’t really need apps on windows and the resell value may not be high.

Thanks!

BlunaLuna

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
Motionless keyboard - If the 16" MBP delivery date moves to 2020, and since the 2016-2019 MBP generation just got an update to butterfly V4, there is really no reason left for Apple to keep the unpopular butterfly keyboard.
For the 16"MBP2020 they can use their patented keyless keyboard. They can make it feel like a real keyboard, by adding their unrivaled leadership in haptic engine technology. This saves lots of vertical space, removes the dust issue on keyboards entirely, and puts them at a great design advantage.
If you think they can't do that, have a look at their oversized trackpads and haptic engines in any of the latest iPhones. However, Apple needs the Touch Bar for this, and no keys also means there won't be any physical escape key - never ever again. Some may hate this, but there is always the option to add an external keyboard.

With Apples update to Intel's most recent processor, and having eradicated pretty much all of the technical maladies of the 2016-2019 MBP series (T2, throttling, Keyboard, screen), Apple has generated sufficient breathing space to postpone the next MBP series to 2020 or 2021. We will be seeing an all new MBP! With more time to finalize that design process, I expect t Apple will crown it by use their own A13/A14 chips.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Lol these threads are funny, every time I see one I laugh.

Just goes to show how much Apple has f****d up their once legendary MacBook line. What's even more infuriating is that Apple is one of the most valuable (if not THE most valuable) and wealthiest companies in the world with access to almost infinite resources and highly skilled people yet they cannot make a trust worthy, reliable, enticing, solid laptop anymore.

Such a shame.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Need some opinions on this: I am sure the 16 inch is coming next year and I really want to get the largest MacBook pro available; however I need a Mac laptop now. Does it make sense to buy a cheap refurbished MacBook Pro (e.g. the ones with 256gb ssd and 555 graphic card) and sell it next year when the 16 inch is accounted?

I am actually thinking about getting the Razer Blade pro 17 but then I don’t really need apps on windows and the resell value may not be high.

Thanks!

Get a 2015 maxed out if it meets your performance requirements. Then use it as a backup for your 2020.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Get a 2015 maxed out if it meets your performance requirements. Then use it as a backup for your 2020.
Who wants to pay 6k for two computers? One for a backup? Really?
Not all of us own Ferrari’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Never mind

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Who wants to pay 6k for two computers? One for a backup? Really?
Not all of own Ferrari’s.

You can get 2015s for about $1,200. They are easy to resell too.

If you read the forums, you'll see people that had to bring in their MBPs for service losing them for a week. I don't know about you but I do need one to work with.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018

If you read the forums, you'll see people that had to bring in their MBPs for service losing them for a week. I don't know about you but I do need one to work with.
While I think that there are valid scenarios where owning multiple laptops (with some of them as a spare) can be very useful, if the only use case is the off-chance that you need to give up your main laptop for a week due to a warranty-replacement then it's probably the better solution to just buy a new one right before you bring it in and return it once you get your main one back. Costs you 0€ instead of 1200€. Might be slightly unethical to buy an expensive device just with the intention to return it later, but this is Apple's burden to bear as it's their device failure that caused you to not have your main laptop for a week to begin with.

I mean if you have the disposable income to spare for a second laptop destined only for this one potential scenario, by all means, go for it. Just putting it out there that for people who can't justify spending that amount of money on this potential use-case, there are cheaper/better options.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

I do need mine for work just seems pointless to me to get an extremely good machine for a backup for a day turnaround time. Usually that’s how long it takes apple. But hey I’d rather spend more on a main machine then having an expensive backup I’d never use.
[doublepost=1558625019][/doublepost]
While I think that there are valid scenarios where owning multiple laptops (with some of them as a spare) can be very useful, if the only use case is the off-chance that you need to give up your main laptop for a week due to a warranty-replacement then it's probably the better solution to just buy a new one right before you bring it in and return it once you get your main one back. Costs you 0€ instead of 1200€. Might be slightly unethical to buy an expensive device just with the intention to return it later, but this is Apple's burden to bear as it's their device failure that caused you to not have your main laptop for a week to begin with.

I mean if you have the disposable income to spare for a second laptop destined only for this one potential scenario, by all means, go for it. Just putting it out there that for people who can't justify spending that amount of money on this potential use-case, there are cheaper/better options.
The Genius Bar guy told me to do that exact thing if I needed one for work. He says people do it all the time.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I do need mine for work just seems pointless to me to get an extremely good machine for a backup for a day turnaround time. Usually that’s how long it takes apple. But hey I’d rather spend more on a main machine then having an expensive backup I’d never use.
[doublepost=1558625019][/doublepost]
The Genius Bar guy told me to do that exact thing if I needed one for work. He says people do it all the time.
and it's those that do this sort of thing is one reason why they cost so much.

Reactions: Queen6

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I wonder how many people claim to be Apple fans but have never actually bought any hardware, cause, waiting for 20xx

Why would that matter? Just because someone doesn't have a MBPro today doesn't mean that they express an opinion over upcoming models.

If anything, Apple is probably pretty interested in what that group is looking for in a laptop (or they should be anyway).

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
There are people who have never purchased Apple hardware?

Plenty! And there are plenty that are the other way around. I find it always best to open what provides be best value at the time. Right now, that's not Apple. That doesn't mean Apple hasn't been the better thing for me in the past nor can it not be in the future. In fact, this judgement on value, or not, is mostly in Apple's hands.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Plenty! And there are plenty that are the other way around. I find it always best to open what provides be best value at the time. Right now, that's not Apple. That doesn't mean Apple hasn't been the better thing for me in the past nor can it not be in the future. In fact, this judgement on value, or not, is mostly in Apple's hands.

That's Apple now. But Apple has sold a ton of 68K Macs, iPods, iPads, Watches, Apple IIs, Lisa's and Newtons too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.