Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalOperator

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
As a digital operator working in stills and motion, I would like to see the following (mostly for location work)

(1) Don't add MagSafe. Its convenience is outweighed by the need to carry two separate battery types to work with Apples proprietary MagSafe connector. USB-C has been a wonder when working with V-lock batteries or a host of other USB-C power banks.

(2) Add 2 more USB-C ports. The contant struggle with connecting two hard-drives, power, tethering cables, card readers, and other peripherals makes for a messy solution when using hubs. But, I can live with 4 ports...

(3) Fix the heating issues. Using a full laptop hood (with a raised platform), a UV-umbrella, USB-fans, and setting the internal fans at a default maximum hovers me around 95 degrees all day when working with some photographers. Some other operators use ice-packs, a solution that is bound to have consequences on the internals.

(4) Increase screen brightness.

(5) Weather sealing (A stretch, I'm sure)

(6) Fix Finder issues with data. Whilst I use backup software when ingesting footage or cloning a job, it would be nice to rely on Finder to be able to accurately do simple tasks: checking folder size (0KB???), opening a folder and seeing no data, sometimes for minutes at a time (panic attack?) moving files (did that corrupt the data?) You can read all about it here: (SFW) https://macperformanceguide.com/autoTopic.html?dglyTP=Apple Core Rot (Not affiliated with the site in any way)

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
My wish list in order:

- larger display
- 12 cores, more heat dissipation (thicker base is fine)
- 2x faster SSD
- physical ESC key (in the meantime, I've mapped CAPSLOCK to ESC)
- 64GB DDR4

Those are some tall orders! Sounds more like a workstation-class laptop. Perhaps the rumored 16” will be more inline with those specs. Although I don’t think H-series 12-core chip is on Intel’s roadmap.

For the 13” and 15” MBPs in 2020, I’m expecting *some* of the following improvements:

• Redesign with thinner bezels, improved cooling solution
  • 120 Hz display
  • 2x native resolution
  • Removal of Touch Bar…
  • 1080p iSight cam (once and for all!)
  • Maybe Face ID replacing Touch ID (although I’d prefer Touch ID)
  • And ofc modified or replacement for current keyboard mechanism to prevent key repeat/stuck issues

Reactions: amacrumorsuser

PongPong

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2019
Is it the general consensus that the 16' won't be this year? I would assume a new larger chassis design would not be simply the 2019 MacBook Pro specs (internals, LCD screen, 4th butterfly keyboard) in a 16' chassis.

The 16' would surely have new processors (not available till next year according to Intel), Mini LED or Samsung OLED, not likely till next year again, and a new keyboard.

I think this all new 16' MacBook Pro would be more likely next year. But if it's just the new 2019 model in a 16' form factor, that could be available sooner. But it would make no sense to me.

richardtekel

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2016
What do you think guys

next release schedule:

October 2019 - All New Macbook (/Pro) with edge to edge display 16”
Feb-April 2020 - All New Macbook (/Pro) with edge to edge display 14”

(Similar schedule to first Macbook Pro's with Retina Display, 15” in 06/2012, 13” in 10/2012.

Slow discounting current's MBP sizes 13” and 15”.

Then offer will be nice as following... 12”, 14”, 16”.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
there's no way apple will release a new computer 3-4 months after updating the 2019 models. If they did it will have the current keyboard in the new models. Then there's a chance they might release a 16" this year and discontinue the 15" models.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
there's no way apple will release a new computer 3-4 months after updating the 2019 models. If they did it will have the current keyboard in the new models. Then there's a chance they might release a 16" this year and discontinue the 15" models.

The recent release was done because they had to for reputation. It still seems like they are putting a minimal effort into MacBooks. I don't see another MacBook until late fall at the earliest and I'd guess that it's more likely 2020.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
next release schedule:

October 2019 - All New Macbook (/Pro) with edge to edge display 16”
No, I'd be incredibly surprised to see a MBP this fall, we'll be seeing iOS devices, maybe the macPro. I don't think apple will roll out the MBP updates, to only hold back on one brand new model. Plus I'm of the opinion that there's too much overlap between the 15" and 16" I think the 16" will replace the 15".

The recent release was done because they had to for reputation. It still seems like they are putting a minimal effort into MacBooks. I don't see another MacBook until late fall at the earliest and I'd guess that it's more likely 2020.
I think it was done, to get it out of the way, so WWDC can focus on other tasks. I think their reputation isn't going to altered by releasing the 4th keyboard at the end of May vs. at WWDC.

They also did it sooner then later to keep up with the Joneses (so to speak). Apple's competitors are rolling out 9th gen models, and given the poor reputation of the 2018 model, performance, cooling, and issues that have plagued it since it was released they just want to bury that model and forget it imo.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
No, I'd be incredibly surprised to see a MBP this fall, we'll be seeing iOS devices, maybe the macPro. I don't think apple will roll out the MBP updates, to only hold back on one brand new model. Plus I'm of the opinion that there's too much overlap between the 15" and 16" I think the 16" will replace the 15".

I agree with this. There have been some arguments here that since Apple has done this before (e.g. 2012 rmb/mbp, iPhone X/8), that this could happen this year. IF this were to happen, many people who purchase now will be very angry - and it would invalidate Apple's CURRENT value proposition. There's a reason Apple updates the design on a predicable 4 year basis - this is so people 'know' roughly when a redesign is coming so they can make an informed decision.

What is much more likely, is that NEXT year we may see double-model releases. In this case, we will start to see leaks and renders, etc of the upcoming redesigned models. We will see more accurate CPU release schedules which will help us to predict the release date of these models. And if Apple refreshes the current rMBPs ahead of the re-design, most people will know what they're buying into (which may not be a bad thing, considering the longevity of the 2015 model). This logic is in addition to all the other arguments by other people about CPU availability, thermals, etc, and lets not forget, it takes real time for a development team to build out these new machines.

Another possibility is that we will first see a 12 or 13 inch model which would embody all the coming changes of the 15 inch (like the original Macbook 12). This is a likely scenario based on the current Intel CPU schedule where the 15Watt 10nm CPUs will start to be available first half of 2020 and the 45W are still not listed. Or, Apple may also go for ARM, where a 12/13 inch model also makes more sense as a market introduction.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The recent speed bumps are also because its something people on here have been crying out for. Years ago, they always used to do a very regular speed bump at the very least, but that fell by the way side and people complained. So its good to see they're back on track with these.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So its good to see they're back on track
I agree, I think Apple needs to keep up with the competition, they're usually fairly quick in embracing the latest chipset, and then there's apple that has skipped chip generations in the past or Mac fans waited 6 months longer.

Reactions: ascender

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
From what I've gathered, the 10nm Intel chips suitable for the MacBook Pros (H-series, 45W) won't be available until 2021 at the earliest, which is disappointing.

Curious to see if Apple do indeed turn to using their own ARM chips as Intel are taking forever.

Reactions: awesomedeluxe

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
TBH I'm not sure, but I also don't think that it's out of question it has the same CPU/GPU specs as the current 15" model. A lot of people are fine with the specs on offer, they just want changes in other areas (a new design, a 4K screen or at least a screen with a full 2:1 conversion ratio for the resolution, 120Hz, a new keyboard, thinner bezels, Face ID, more T3 ports, the next successor of the T2 chip that takes up even more functions, the new USB-C MagSafe connector patent that we saw floating around a while ago, ...).

Now I don't expect all of those, but if Ming-Chi Kuo is right about the 16" inch still coming this year, these type of changes could be enough for many people to consider an upgrade. For a large part of the user base, the overall design, the features you get and the user experience you have matter a lot more these days than raw specs and speeds, and whereas the current refresh was focused on bringing the specs up-to-date, a redesign could focus on these other things. I don't think a redesign would necessarily need to have new CPUs and GPUs inside in order to be compelling, not in a time where many people care a lot more about other stuff than raw performance.

Besides, having the same CPUs/GPUs inside doesn't necessarily mean it will perform the same. Many people were already dissatisfied with the i9 option on the 2018 MBPs because the thermal envelope barely gave them any room to breathe under heavily workloads, let alone to reach and maintain their full turbo clock speeds, and with the 8-core option on the new MBPs I don't expect this to be much better. If the rumored 16" MBP does have a larger chassis and overall footprint, then it may very well have a larger thermal envelope that allows these same chips to perform a lot better than in the current 15".

All that said, I'm not so sure we will get the rumored 16" this year. I'd say both could happen. The only solid hint we have is Ming-Chi Kuo's prediction, and while he seemed very confident about it, he doesn't have the best track-record lately either, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got it wrong or if the information he originally picked up is outdated and the 16" was slated back to 2020 in favor of another spec bump this year.
Maybe the 16 inch was targeted for this year but something unforeseen happened and they had to push it back. I wonder how trivial it would be to just give the machines a spec bump? In other words, they were on track for the 16 inch, something happened and they said,"well, just bump up the processors instead and ship it."

I suspect we're going to get more leaks from Mark Gurman this week. Does anyone else think Apple leaks to him intentionally? I kind of think so.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The 16" could still happen, maybe in October when Mac's are usually updated. I think the new Macbook Air will also get the 2019 keyboard and possibly some spec bump.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
From what I've gathered, the 10nm Intel chips suitable for the MacBook Pros (H-series, 45W) won't be available until 2021 at the earliest, which is disappointing.

Curious to see if Apple do indeed turn to using their own ARM chips as Intel are taking forever.
They're going to get those ARM chips in as soon as possible.

I think maybe we'll see an ARM MacBook (the little one) at WWDC.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
They're going to get those ARM chips in as soon as possible.

I think maybe we'll see an ARM MacBook (the little one) at WWDC.

That would be BIG news and unless Apple has managed to keep security locked down, it would of leaked by now. The 12" Macbook is in need of an update tho. Unless you need something that small, the Air is currently the better option.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
The recent release was done because they had to for reputation.
The same reputation that is letting them sell the 2013 Mac Pro in 2019?
[doublepost=1558795785][/doublepost]
The 16" could still happen, maybe in October when Mac's are usually updated.
When have they ever released a "Mid" and a "Late" model of the same line in the same year? And why would they not wait for Intel's 10nm processors next year?

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
That would be BIG news and unless Apple has managed to keep security locked down, it would of leaked by now. The 12" Macbook is in need of an update tho. Unless you need something that small, the Air is currently the better option.
I wonder what they are planning to do with the 12 inch. They're charging top dollar for 2017 hardware and chips (and that keyboard is now two generations behind). I mean, either update it, transform it or kill it. I think the Air is a better option, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: afir93 and Dave245

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
What I really care about is 4K display (if larger, as rumoured, with keeping the current MacBook size and reducing bezels would be the best), and possibly better thermal management. I am using 15' MacBook Pro 2018 and haven't had overheating issues, but it's clear with 8 cores and under heavy load, it will make difference. I don't mind the Touch Bar, don't know why people hate it that much. If you don't like it, just don't use it. Trackpad is cool as well, don't understand why people don't like it either. I also prefer the butterfly keyboard, over the previous one. It is clear that there are issues with it, but Apple is working on it and, while my 2017 MacBook Pro had sticky keys issues, 2018 haven't got any so far. I would be happy if they do something about quality assurance tho, because the displays of both my 2017 and 2018 broke and had to be replaced and also the trackpad of my new 2018 model is defective as well. So paying 6k for two years and getting 3 hardware defects is not fun.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
What I really care about is 4K display (if larger, as rumoured, with keeping the current MacBook size and reducing bezels would be the best), and possibly better thermal management. I am using 15' MacBook Pro 2018 and haven't had overheating issues, but it's clear with 8 cores and under heavy load, it will make difference. I don't mind the Touch Bar, don't know why people hate it that much. If you don't like it, just don't use it. Trackpad is cool as well, don't understand why people don't like it either. I also prefer the butterfly keyboard, over the previous one. It is clear that there are issues with it, but Apple is working on it and, while my 2017 MacBook Pro had sticky keys issues, 2018 haven't got any so far. I would be happy if they do something about quality assurance tho, because the displays of both my 2017 and 2018 broke and had to be replaced and also the trackpad of my new 2018 model is defective as well. So paying 6k for two years and getting 3 hardware defects is not fun.

One of the reasons why people don't like the touch bar is people that use the Escape key a lot. There are a number of programming tools, like Emacs, that use the Escape key for a lot of commands so you want a physical button there so that you can use it without looking. macOS is based on Unix and the really old editing tools often make use of the Escape key.

I too would prefer a 4K display. I sometimes use the native 2,880x1,800 resolution on the MacBook Pro but I have 4K monitors and it would be nice to have consistency between the internal screen and my external displays and, 4K display are becoming industry standard on high-resolution laptop displays.

Reactions: nortonandreev

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
What I really care about is 4K display

I too would prefer a 4K display. I sometimes use the native 2,880x1,800 resolution on the MacBook Pro but I have 4K monitors and it would be nice to have consistency between the internal screen and my external displays and, 4K display are becoming industry standard on high-resolution laptop displays.

The reason the MBPs don’t use 4K resolution is because Apple sets a standard range of PPIs that produces an optimal 2x UI scaling. 4K resolution at those screen sizes makes the UI too small for most people and/or produces suboptimal scaling. Although this latter point is kind of not true since currently the native resolution of the displays isn’t actually 2x the UI point scale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.