Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yeah I'd say 2020 redesign is inbound.. I wouldn't expect the 10nm Intel refresh this year either... Same for Navi GPUs....

Dell has Ice Lake in their XPS line but I don't see a need for an update by Apple given that they've just done an update. Some companies are going Ice Lake but it seems like most aren't.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Dell has Ice Lake in their XPS line but I don't see a need for an update by Apple given that they've just done an update. Some companies are going Ice Lake but it seems like most aren't.

I'll keep waiting for Ice Lake and Navi /w 2020 redesign.

Reactions: Aquamite

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
I'd say the redesign might see an October event as a high-end 16"+ model , $3299 starting point isn't far off - that may even be conservative if it's OLED. Otherwise, we'll see it in 2020, probably with more penetration of the line. If we see that beast in 2019, the 2020 and even 2021 models will work its new features down through the line - think Retina transition - first a high-end 15" (16"+) model, then all or most of the 15" line plus a high-end 13" model, then the remaining old models disappear..

Even a 2020 redesign will (unfortunately) very likely feature 10th Generation Rocket Lake (14nm+++++++) CPUs for the 16". I haven't seen any signs of Ice Lake going above 4-6 cores and 28 watts by then.

Apple notebook line by late 2021?

MBP - 16.4" and 14" - Intel powered (updated within a reasonable time of new CPU releases - they've gotten good at this lately after years of being very slow), AMD graphics on 16.4" models, again updated reasonably. OLED screens at least as an option. Physical keyboards, perhaps even with some form of super-thin mechanical keyboard? 16.4" is around 4.5 lbs (I'm letting it gain half a pound of screen, cooling and battery to be more "pro" - this may be optimistic - they might insist on under 4 lbs at thermal cost), while 14" stays around 3 lbs.

There may be 3 models if the 16.4" comes only in OLED - they may keep a continuously speed-bumped 15" in the existing chassis around if the OLED screen is just too expensive to hit a ~$2500 price point by 2021. The new MBP will probably continue to occupy the present MBP price range, from $1500 at the bottom of the 13" line all the way up to $4200 or so for a top-end but reasonable configuration with the most expensive storage upgrades well above that (you can already get a MBP to $6400 or so - wouldn't be surprised if the new one could clear $7000 with the rare storage upgrade)

EITHER
16.4" OLED, 15" carryover, 13" redesign (13" doesn't grow if the 15" has to stay)
OR
16.4" OLED, 16.4" LCD, 14"

MacBook Air - 13" ARM powered (2021 model) well under 3 lbs. LCD screen, butterfly keyboard (unless the new MBP keyboard is both thin enough to fit and not expensive). The Air is the low-end/mainstream notebook, and they aren't going to put anything in it that drives it above $1100 base/$1800 loaded. Note that "loaded" on a low-end machine doesn't include any super-expensive storage upgrades that barely sell - the present $1800 model has 512 GB of storage, and you can go to 1.5 TB for an extra $700 (but you'd buy a 13" Pro instead). Also note that ARM Macs will probably be restricted to the Mac App Store - with some provision for developers to give users credit for software they already own.

MacBook - 12" ARM powered luxury thin notebook. As close to 1.5 lbs as they can make it, OLED, haptic keyboard (which may itself be OLED?). May be completely portless (inductive charging, wireless hub accessory) or may retain one USB-C. $2300 - $3200

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've generally not heard of great experiences with half-height mechanical keyboards. I haven't tried one myself - I prefer the standard models.

There were a lot of complaints about the iPod Touch released yesterday. It just had a CPU bump to the A10.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I'd say the redesign might see an October event as a high-end 16"+ model , $3299 starting point isn't far off - that may even be conservative if it's OLED. Otherwise, we'll see it in 2020, probably with more penetration of the line. If we see that beast in 2019, the 2020 and even 2021 models will work its new features down through the line - think Retina transition - first a high-end 15" (16"+) model, then all or most of the 15" line plus a high-end 13" model, then the remaining old models disappear..

Even a 2020 redesign will (unfortunately) very likely feature 10th Generation Rocket Lake (14nm+++++++) CPUs for the 16". I haven't seen any signs of Ice Lake going above 4-6 cores and 28 watts by then.

Apple notebook line by late 2021?

MBP - 16.4" and 14" - Intel powered (updated within a reasonable time of new CPU releases - they've gotten good at this lately after years of being very slow), AMD graphics on 16.4" models, again updated reasonably. OLED screens at least as an option. Physical keyboards, perhaps even with some form of super-thin mechanical keyboard? 16.4" is around 4.5 lbs (I'm letting it gain half a pound of screen, cooling and battery to be more "pro" - this may be optimistic - they might insist on under 4 lbs at thermal cost), while 14" stays around 3 lbs.

There may be 3 models if the 16.4" comes only in OLED - they may keep a continuously speed-bumped 15" in the existing chassis around if the OLED screen is just too expensive to hit a ~$2500 price point by 2021. The new MBP will probably continue to occupy the present MBP price range, from $1500 at the bottom of the 13" line all the way up to $4200 or so for a top-end but reasonable configuration with the most expensive storage upgrades well above that (you can already get a MBP to $6400 or so - wouldn't be surprised if the new one could clear $7000 with the rare storage upgrade)

EITHER
16.4" OLED, 15" carryover, 13" redesign (13" doesn't grow if the 15" has to stay)
OR
16.4" OLED, 16.4" LCD, 14"

MacBook Air - 13" ARM powered (2021 model) well under 3 lbs. LCD screen, butterfly keyboard (unless the new MBP keyboard is both thin enough to fit and not expensive). The Air is the low-end/mainstream notebook, and they aren't going to put anything in it that drives it above $1100 base/$1800 loaded. Note that "loaded" on a low-end machine doesn't include any super-expensive storage upgrades that barely sell - the present $1800 model has 512 GB of storage, and you can go to 1.5 TB for an extra $700 (but you'd buy a 13" Pro instead). Also note that ARM Macs will probably be restricted to the Mac App Store - with some provision for developers to give users credit for software they already own.

MacBook - 12" ARM powered luxury thin notebook. As close to 1.5 lbs as they can make it, OLED, haptic keyboard (which may itself be OLED?). May be completely portless (inductive charging, wireless hub accessory) or may retain one USB-C. $2300 - $3200
3300 starting price? Honestly you think apple will do this to its customers with the backlash its been getting?

There is 5% chance in my eyes the 16" is more than the current model 15" I don't see them keeping around the 15's for 1" difference in screen size they can fit into the current screen now with slimmer bezels.
There no way apple would sell these at 3300$ starting point for a laptop. 2300 is pushing it for a base starting 15" Apple knows how well the 15's sell and won't price them super high just because its apples past. Apple will change a lot of its $$$ and included accessories in the next coming years to not lose more customers.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Only Ice Lake Y and U are out, nothing suitable for a MBP until 2020.

Reactions: Ener Ji

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
But thats the thing, there is just no reliable info to go with. Aside anecdotal reports we still don't know how often the keyboard actually fails. Apple sells millions and millions of these laptops per year, there will be keyboard failures no matter what. There is simply no way to know whether it's "fixed".

There are really two issues here for me that qualify as significant points of failure. One is the problem of these keyboards breaking/failing so frequently. The other is the problematic nature of the keyboard's permanent fixture in the chassis. A huge design no-no for a Pro/Power laptop.
Both these issues would need addressing before I would consider keyboard-gate resolved. It's simply *not* acceptable to have to make do without your $3000-5000 premium laptop for a 5 day repair because of a stuck key. Apple calls this a Pro laptop, but where is their Pro service? Apple cannot provide a fix on-the-day nor (in most cases) on-the-spot, so essentially the design is inadequate. Don't want to change the design? Then it deserves to be labelled as 'Mac Book Consumer', or 'Mac Book Economy'. Not Pro.

Last edited:

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The $3300 starting price is ONLY if it starts as a halo model with the current 15" still around (and getting updates) in the $2300-$3300 range. If it replaces the 15" when it comes out, it'll (of course) have a starting price below $2500.

AND probably no Ice Lake for the 15" or 16" even in 2020 - it's not clear, but it looks like Intel will try to squeeze Rocket Lake (yet another 14nm+++++++) into the 2020 slot. Desktops for sure - that's on published roadmaps. The lack of commentary on H-series laptop CPUs makes me think that their road, too, goes through Rocket Lake.

MacBooks and probably Airs can go to 10nm this year.
13" MBP next year.
15" or 16" MBP not until 2021.

Last edited:

StuKatz1

macrumors member
May 24, 2019
Incoming a beautifully thin, incredibly quick 16” MacBook Pro, with no bezels and of course - Butterfly Keyboard 5th Generation.

ESA

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
I´ve had some problems with my 2016 model, Apple will give me a new one, when i return mine.

I´m so dissatisfied with the new 2019 one because i wanted the new design.
I have until december 2019 to get the new one.

Do you think there will be an update again this winter?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I´ve had some problems with my 2016 model, Apple will give me a new one, when i return mine.

If Ice Lake 10nm suitable for 16"mbp is out for Apple, yes, but i hope/or it will be a starting price from 3000$
16" 10nm 8c 16 gb ram, 512 ssd, navi dgpu, 86-90watt battery

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
I'm really hoping for a "Macbook Pro with OLED" type of deal, sort of like they did when they introduced the Retina Macbooks. I think the chances are low though.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
I'm really hoping for a "Macbook Pro with OLED" type of deal, sort of like they did when they introduced the Retina Macbooks. I think the chances are low though.
I'm sure there are some great things about it, but I honestly don't know if the advantages of OLED are worth the payoffs on something like a laptop. On average, we keep our laptops much longer than our phones, laptop elements have much more static elements than phone or TV screens, we use our laptop screens generally for much longer without turning them off than phone or TV screens, and the replacement costs likely would also be much higher. All of that means that we're likely to run into burn-in and color degradation issues much more/earlier than on, say, the iPhone. Are true blacks and the like really worth having to pay a 1000-2000€ (or even more expensive) repair bill after, worst case, 2-3 years, or having to live with some nasty burn-in elements and washed out colors for the rest of the products' lifetime?

I'm personally more interested in the mini/microLED technology that Apple is supposedly working on and that we might get our first glimpse at this year with the 31" screen. I'm pretty sure it will be just as or more expensive than an OLED MBP screen would be, but if it is "the advantages of an OLED screen without their downsides" as many people seem to expect, then it may very well be worth it.

ESA

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
Yes i hope that new processor comes this autumn .
The thing is, in Sweden, if your device gets broken 3 times on the same thing within 3 years, you must get a new one or get your money back.

But, maybe Apple will change it within 4 years, thats how long the extended warranty is for the keyboard, I´m on my third one right now.

I really want the new design! Not this keyboard anymore.

Reactions: StuKatz1

Trolle

macrumors member
May 24, 2016

Hopeful this Fall there is one. Otherwise, it will probably be next summer

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
From what I've gathered, the 10nm Intel chips suitable for the MacBook Pros (H-series, 45W) won't be available until 2021 at the earliest, which is disappointing.

Curious to see if Apple do indeed turn to using their own ARM chips as Intel are taking forever.

This seems to be getting glossed over. I don't think Intel has any plans for 45W 10nm chips in 2020. I don't know if they plan to have them ever. The most recent leaked roadmap has Comet Lake in the 45W space through 2020, and I don't think anyone is excited to see another Skylake derivative in any machine.

This puts Apple in a tight spot for a 2020 redesign. They are probably waiting to see Zen 2 performance numbers to judge if asking AMD to whip them up their own Zen 2 x Navi APU is viable.

Intel's 7nm news creates more uncertainty. Will Intel have 7nm CPUs in 2021? Probably not in the 45W category, but who knows? If they do, it would likely trounce Comet Lake and Zen 2 in performance, making Apple's 2020 redesign obsolete in jut a year.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I wouldn't say a redesign is obsolete if a better CPU becomes available. Most users benefit from the other features such as improved IO, keyboard, screen, etc. more than just ultimate CPU performance. Not saying that it's not a factor, as it obviously is, but I don't think many users would be that upset if the redesign fixes alot of the problems of the current gen.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
This puts Apple in a tight spot for a 2020 redesign.

Isn’t the ‘redesign’ still just speculation? They could probably fit 16 inch in the same chassis. And certainly they should *want* to do a redo on the keyboard... doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. I mean people have been begging for a non touchbar 15 inch for at least a year, but no dice, no communication, no nothing.

Reactions: Basic75

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
You can imagine Apple integrating the new Mac Pro 3D cheesegrater maximum airflow pattern into a new MBP somehow. It seems it could solve a lot of the heating issues. Not sure how it would look or if people would like it..

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I wouldn't say a redesign is obsolete if a better CPU becomes available. Most users benefit from the other features such as improved IO, keyboard, screen, etc. more than just ultimate CPU performance. Not saying that it's not a factor, as it obviously is, but I don't think many users would be that upset if the redesign fixes alot of the problems of the current gen.

Well it will all depend on where Apple goes next.. if they do adopt the new ice lake 10nm chips then yeah sure.. There's also new panel tech from LG as we can see with the new Cinema Display alongside some other LG monitors.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Apple for 2020 has some updates to make for the macs...including the 12" Macbook (refresh it or test it on the market with ARM cpu), the imac redesign is long overdue and also, the Macbook pro
Chances the redesign macbook pro for 2020 i guess 80%
Chances for redesign imac(pro) for 2020 over 50%
Chances for refresh 12" Macbook over 50%, and under 50% for ARM cpu

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Apple for 2020 has some updates to make for the macs...including the 12" Macbook (refresh it or test it on the market with ARM cpu), the imac redesign is long overdue and also, the Macbook pro
Chances the redesign macbook pro for 2020 i guess 80%
Chances for redesign imac(pro) for 2020 over 50%
Chances for refresh 12" Macbook over 50%, and under 50% for ARM cpu

Maybe the MacBook Pro will get the redesign in October this year. iMac, iMac Pro, MacBook Pro and 12” MacBook are too much all for one year (ie 2020).

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
This seems to be getting glossed over. I don't think Intel has any plans for 45W 10nm chips in 2020. I don't know if they plan to have them ever. The most recent leaked roadmap has Comet Lake in the 45W space through 2020, and I don't think anyone is excited to see another Skylake derivative in any machine.

This puts Apple in a tight spot for a 2020 redesign. They are probably waiting to see Zen 2 performance numbers to judge if asking AMD to whip them up their own Zen 2 x Navi APU is viable.

Intel's 7nm news creates more uncertainty. Will Intel have 7nm CPUs in 2021? Probably not in the 45W category, but who knows? If they do, it would likely trounce Comet Lake and Zen 2 in performance, making Apple's 2020 redesign obsolete in jut a year.

I agree that 10nm in the 2020 MBP is very unlikely given current info coming out of Intel. However, if they can sample a part and get yields up before this year ends, there might be a glimmer of hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.