Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
Lots of good responses to my comment earlier. Let me clarify a little why I think Intel's roadmap is such a disaster for Apple.

First, let's get this out of the way: Apple WANTS to redesign the MBP. We all know the 2016 Macbook Pro line sucks, and now John Q Public is catching on too. It's hurting Apple's brand. Apple wants to come out swinging and change the narrative about its machines; they want to reestablish their image as having the best-designed computers on the market.

Now, people here have lots of ideas of what this amazing machine might look like, but one thing they say a lot is: "I'd be ok with it if the redesign weren't any lighter/slimmer." For Apple, this is not OK. This new redesign is supposed to last them until 2023. That's how they recoup R&D. If it's not cutting edge by today's standards, it's not selling four years from now, full stop.

The easiest way to make the MBP lighter and slimmer is to cut out some battery. And Apple can do this with a More Efficient Processor. Intel has been promising them a More Efficient Processor for years, but now they've pulled the curtain back and it looks like nothing is there.

So should Apple just make do with what it has? Design around Comet Lake or Zen 2? Well, there's a problem with that too. Because now Intel is promising to create a Way More Efficient Processor, ETA 2021 or 2022. What happens if Apple's competitors design around Intel's Way More Efficient Processor when Apple is still using a design based on today's technology? Apple is stuck selling a machine that's bulkier and heavier than the competition for two, maybe three years.

This sucks, and what sucks even more is that Intel could be lying about their Way More Efficient Processor. It's possible Apple waits until 2022, and Intel pulls back the curtain, and nothing is there.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Lots of good responses to my comment earlier. Let me clarify a little why I think Intel's roadmap is such a disaster for Apple.

First, let's get this out of the way: Apple WANTS to redesign the MBP. We all know the 2016 Macbook Pro line sucks, and now John Q Public is catching on too. It's hurting Apple's brand. Apple wants to come out swinging and change the narrative about its machines; they want to reestablish their image as having the best-designed computers on the market.

Now, people here have lots of ideas of what this amazing machine might look like, but one thing they say a lot is: "I'd be ok with it if the redesign weren't any lighter/slimmer." For Apple, this is not OK. This new redesign is supposed to last them until 2023. That's how they recoup R&D. If it's not cutting edge by today's standards, it's not selling four years from now, full stop.

The easiest way to make the MBP lighter and slimmer is to cut out some battery. And Apple can do this with a More Efficient Processor. Intel has been promising them a More Efficient Processor for years, but now they've pulled the curtain back and it looks like nothing is there.

So should Apple just make do with what it has? Design around Comet Lake or Zen 2? Well, there's a problem with that too. Because now Intel is promising to create a Way More Efficient Processor, ETA 2021 or 2022. What happens if Apple's competitors design around Intel's Way More Efficient Processor when Apple is still using a design based on today's technology? Apple is stuck selling a machine that's bulkier and heavier than the competition for two, maybe three years.

This sucks, and what sucks even more is that Intel could be lying about their Way More Efficient Processor. It's possible Apple waits until 2022, and Intel pulls back the curtain, and nothing is there.

Indeed.

We know Intel has been bottlenecking Apple a lot without no doubt, but at the end it’s fault for both of them.

That’s why the ARM cry out is happening, Intel can’t deliver

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
After the mac pro thing, when Apple get rid of the cylinder/trash can, and come back to the original form, i think Apple is coming back and will fix the issues for the current MBP too for the next year
The future looks again ok for the mac after yesterday experience

Reactions: sydneysider88

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
After the mac pro thing, when Apple get rid of the cylinder/trash can, and come back to the original form, i think Apple is coming back and will fix the issues for the current MBP too for the next year

I do agree with this. Even though the new Mac Pro and Pro display are priced way into the true professional/enterprise markets, they show that Apple is serious about making good computers again. That Mac Pro is really impressive. Hopefully it carries over to the MBP.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I do agree with this. Even though the new Mac Pro and Pro display are priced way into the true professional/enterprise markets, they show that Apple is serious about making good computers again. That Mac Pro is really impressive. Hopefully it carries over to the MBP.

It has to... We running out of time and patience for a good MacBook Pro come next generation redesign.

Reactions: Queen6 and ugru

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Does Apple removing 3D touch from the iPhones give us more hope for them also removing the TouchBar from the MBPs in the next redesign?
[doublepost=1559740062][/doublepost]
The easiest way to make the MBP lighter and slimmer is to cut out some battery.
They already did that with the last redesign, how much more can they remove?
[doublepost=1559740105][/doublepost]
While the new Macs are expensive, they are definitely nice machines, including the new Mac mini.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008

Good points overall and really makes the case for an ARM based MBP. On the other hand, Apple now has Catalyst which gives them freedom to use any CPU in their laptops. It actually makes predicting Apple's Laptop strategy for 2020+ very difficult.

I would not also rule out a new *heavier* large (16+") MBP for later or next year. Based on the Mac Pro they just showed - having something like a portable industrially designed laptop for pros would fit with that strategy. Something you can run for 24x7 rendering using all 8 (or 16) cores, with 64 or 128 GB ram, full sized keys :), and maybe using the XDR tech they have in the new screen. It would also add some much needed segmentation in their product line - where they got 12,13x2, and 15 inch models which are all targeting very similar markets, and all doing an average job at it too. However it would likely start at 5K+, but it's ok as it would be the start of a new product category.
In this case, they could use any Intel CPU, and reserve the lower tier 'regular' macbooks for their own ARM cpus.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
ARM if they come to macs, they will come first for the 12" Macbook that will also for consumer,normal persons, an 12" Macbook with 15-18h battery life it will be the next big thing for the consumers
Also i think Apple could put an ARM for a desktop and that will be probably the entry level Mac Mini or the entry level iMac
I think could be enough in the next 5 years for Apple with the 12" Macbook and 1x ARM mac mini to test and see how it goes from consumers to developers stand point, adoption and so on

Reactions: AFPBoy

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
I actually suspect we might see the 16"+ MBP this fall, alongside a new iMac Pro (and the actual release of the New Cheesegrater) - call it a Pro Hardware event.

If they did that, it would come in the way the Retina did, as a high-end model first, followed by a gradual "trickle down" of the upgrade through the line (maybe replacing all but one 15" model next May, with the 13" getting replaced over the following year?). I'd expect something like a $3299 or higher base configuration, but it comes with the top processor and perhaps the Vega 20, and includes a terabyte of storage, 32 GB of RAM or both standard... If it's OLED, the base configuration could be as much as $3999 (or even more if it's generously configured).

The problem with an OLED display is that it's too expensive to move down the line. One $4000 stunner at a Pro Hardware event, sure... What happens next May when it's time to move the mainstream 15"? They'd better have an LCD equivalent ready, or everything including the $2299 model takes a $500 price jump... If they leave the $2299 model in the old chassis, they'll have to leave it there for a long time to get the price of OLED down enough.

If they're going to do OLED at all, it'll have to be a premium option this round, and it'll have to stay that way. I could see releasing nothing but the OLED model in October or November, but they'll have to have a new-chassis LCD model by June - I think it's more likely that they do an "XS/XR" release in October, where OLED is optional, or they skip OLED altogether...

Reactions: Falhófnir

Bars_12

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2016
I actually suspect we might see the 16"+ MBP this fall, alongside a new iMac Pro (and the actual release of the New Cheesegrater) - call it a Pro Hardware event.

If they did that, it would come in the way the Retina did, as a high-end model first, followed by a gradual "trickle down" of the upgrade through the line (maybe replacing all but one 15" model next May, with the 13" getting replaced over the following year?). I'd expect something like a $3299 or higher base configuration, but it comes with the top processor and perhaps the Vega 20, and includes a terabyte of storage, 32 GB of RAM or both standard... If it's OLED, the base configuration could be as much as $3999 (or even more if it's generously configured).

The problem with an OLED display is that it's too expensive to move down the line. One $4000 stunner at a Pro Hardware event, sure... What happens next May when it's time to move the mainstream 15"? They'd better have an LCD equivalent ready, or everything including the $2299 model takes a $500 price jump... If they leave the $2299 model in the old chassis, they'll have to leave it there for a long time to get the price of OLED down enough.

If they're going to do OLED at all, it'll have to be a premium option this round, and it'll have to stay that way. I could see releasing nothing but the OLED model in October or November, but they'll have to have a new-chassis LCD model by June - I think it's more likely that they do an "XS/XR" release in October, where OLED is optional, or they skip OLED altogether...

Do you think the RAM or the SSD(Storage) will be upgradeable like the "New Cheesegrater"?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
October mac event would be brilliant as the WWDC if
-16” Mbp new design with diff keyboard and the user upgrade at least ssd and ram
- imac(pro) 5k redesign
-more info about mac pro configurations price and release date
- new ipads internal updates along side with a little bit more rigid structure

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
If by fix you mean the keyboard I think you might be hoping for something not going to happen.
4 years apple has kept this keyboard and kept improving it. You think apple will go for a more traditional and thicker keyboard in a redesign? Im betting no, and also think that they are improving each generation its kind of a hint that they will stick with a butterfly style design just more polished each iteration.
I don't see apple making these too much thinner unless they can put some of the hardware behind the screen and slim the battery.
Apple won't make these that much thicker if at all so I doubt a new keyboard design is coming with more throw.
If anything apple would focus more on the screen and bezels than anything as I think this design can go on much longer and be fine.
[doublepost=1559817757][/doublepost]

Theres no way apple would release the 2019 MacBook Pros a few weeks ago and release an upgraded model 3 months down the line. It would piss people off way too much. I don't expect new MacBook Pro hardware but we could see other lines refreshed in October. Apple will more than likely drop the 15" version when they have a slightly 1" bigger screen model. They can fit a 16" into the current 15.4" screen with slim bezels.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
They would if and only if it's an addition at the top, with nothing being replaced (the Retina came in that way, for example).

I'd think user-expandable RAM and/or storage are relatively unlikely (I'd love to see both, especially RAM). Soldered storage is becoming more and more common even on PC laptops, and the T2 only adds to that...

I do suspect a new keyboard - either something like the Magic Keyboard (they won't say that, because the Butterfly was supposed to be the successor to that) or some extra-slim mechanical keyboard.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
They would if and only if it's an addition at the top, with nothing being replaced (the Retina came in that way, for example).

I'd think user-expandable RAM and/or storage are relatively unlikely (I'd love to see both, especially RAM). Soldered storage is becoming more and more common even on PC laptops, and the T2 only adds to that...

I do suspect a new keyboard - either something like the Magic Keyboard (they won't say that, because the Butterfly was supposed to be the successor to that) or some extra-slim mechanical keyboard.
why would they keep improving the butterfly keyboard then? it makes no sense its updated for 2019 if they are going to squash it next year after 5 years of tinkering.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
AMD is touting Navi as more of a consumer/gaming GPU. What would go in the MBP would be the Radeon VII successor. No real rumors have surfaced about it yet, but it will most likely be 7nm+ based on Navi but more pro/high end features. Possibly AMD's solution to RTX.

10nm Intel chips and 7nm+ AMD GPU's would hopefully help increase battery life, but unless they make the MBP slightly larger, probably wouldn't see a dramatic difference.

Reactions: Aquamite

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
+
c) Much more better battery life

True...

AMD is touting Navi as more of a consumer/gaming GPU. What would go in the MBP would be the Radeon VII successor. No real rumors have surfaced about it yet, but it will most likely be 7nm+ based on Navi but more pro/high end features. Possibly AMD's solution to RTX.

10nm Intel chips and 7nm+ AMD GPU's would hopefully help increase battery life, but unless they make the MBP slightly larger, probably wouldn't see a dramatic difference.

Man this sounds like a dream setup

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I truly hope they make the new pro a bit thicker than this current gen. It’d fix the thermal issues and also make the keyboard easier to type on.

Khaos1

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah if you watch videos comparing the iMac to MBP, iMac has improved significantly relative to how it used to be a few years ago.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

First of all, I doubt that they will go any slimmer. The MacBook Pro is already as slim as it practically can be, and trying to go slimmer won’t make it a better laptop (this is from a guy that wants a slim and light machine). In a nutshell, if they went any slimmer, they wouldn’t be able to use the high-performance components they usually do. That’s the point Apple bashers like to miss - if Apple were really thin and light before everything else, they would have long moved to 15W CPUs across the board, like many other manufacturers.

Lighter though, definitely.

But I disagree with your assumptions. The easiest way to make the MBP lighter is to use new lighter materials. For example magnesium. The MBP already uses 5-7 Watts on idle, there is only as much they can save on CPU power - most of it is display, RAM and other background losses. More power-efficient display and LPDDR4 will probably have more of an effect in this department.

Reactions: cool11

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
For someone like me with an aging early 2015 MBA looking to upgrade, does it make sense to get a MBP now or wait for the redesign? I’m not in a rush to upgrade but I’m definitely itching to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.