Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Uhh no, you wait for the right time, and then you buy.

I was getting 9 MB/s last night on my home WiFi which I thought was insane. Comcast recently upgraded me from 60 mbps to 100 mbps. In general, it's lost on my as I don't download a lot of big files. It makes downloads really fast but it wouldn't really matter if they weren't fast.

Similar with LTE and 5G. I typically use zero cellular data in any month. So I don't really care if I'm using 3G, 4G or 5G. If you don't download a ton of stuff or need a lot of stuff in a hurry, then it doesn't really matter. Of course those of you with 10G Ethernet in your homes probably do want fast WiFi (Comcast only goes up to 2G in my area).

Reactions: enemy14123

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I agree with ARM chips starting as coprocessors first. The same way the T2 chip handles certain very specific tasks, i think that's how ARM will come to Macs first. ARM chips might replace the T2 chip or might work in tandem with the Intel CPUs to handle low power/MacOS specific tasks and discretely (or simultaneously) switch and use the Intel CPU for third party applications, similarly to how Iris and the AMD graphics cards tag in and out to handle the different levels of graphics tasks. I could see that being the method they do for a couple years to give third party developers time to start coding their apps for ARM and then start giving more and more responsibilities to the ARM chip until eventually Macs with ARM chips as the sole CPU are ready and can run everything normally the way x86 chips do now.
The T2 chip is an ARM chip.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
WiFi 6 has some key advantages over AC. Longer battery life with a new Target Wake Time (TWT) feature that tells the device when to wake up or go to sleep to preserve battery life on devices. You also get better performance in crowded areas. If you've ever been in an airport or stadium and used the free WiFI you sometimes notice you won't get any connection even though you have a full signal. The new protocol helps with that immensely. Might not be a must have for most people, but if you're buying a laptop now and keeping it for a few years, it's something you'll want for 3+ years in your MBP. Especially when the future is moving towards WiFi 6.

I'm getting really excited about these new AMD dGPU's. I hope Apple puts one in the 13" MBP. The 5300 is no slouch for content creation or gaming for that matter. These newer chips should be even better. It's about time. One of the major caveats I've had with the MBP.

JustHereforHelp69

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2018
WiFi 6 has some key advantages over AC. Longer battery life with a new Target Wake Time (TWT) feature that tells the device when to wake up or go to sleep to preserve battery life on devices. You also get better performance in crowded areas. If you've ever been in an airport or stadium and used the free WiFI you sometimes notice you won't get any connection even though you have a full signal. The new protocol helps with that immensely. Might not be a must have for most people, but if you're buying a laptop now and keeping it for a few years, it's something you'll want for 3+ years in your MBP. Especially when the future is moving towards WiFi 6.

I'm getting really excited about these new AMD dGPU's. I hope Apple puts one in the 13" MBP. The 5300 is no slouch for content creation or gaming for that matter. These newer chips should be even better. It's about time. One of the major caveats I've had with the MBP.
I highly doubt they would put the new dGPU in the 13 MBP even if they bump it up to 14in, would be surprised if they did but who knows. They surprised me with this machine so its not totally out of question.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The Windows version of Office runs (very slowly) in 32-bit Intel emulation mode on ARM processors, according to various Surface Pro X reviews - Office for Windows does not exist in a native ARM version at this time.

There are versions of Office for ARM, notably the iPad version, but they are not feature-complete even compared to Office for Mac, let alone to the Windows version.

Reactions: Glockworkorange

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
How well do you folks think the 16 inch MacBook Pro is selling? YouTube is inundated with reviews and unboxings. So, I am concluding this as a sign of the update being well received. It sure was being checked out a lot at the Store.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
How well do you folks think the 16 inch MacBook Pro is selling? YouTube is inundated with reviews and unboxings. So, I am concluding this as a sign of the update being well received. It sure was being checked out a lot at the Store.

I'd guess that it's selling very well given the pent-up demand for something that didn't have the taint of the 2016-early 2019 models.

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
The moment we will know its size, and power requirements - that is the moment your question can be answered.
Well by the name it's a 21 compute units Navi architecture based GPU. Current 16" MBP has 24 compute units on the 5500M.

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
And that 24 Compute Radeon Pro 5500M is based on Navi 14 die.

How that fits your theory?
Sorry I just mixed up the codename with the compute units. And Navi 10 is for the higher end 5700. So I guess we can't make up an idea of what the Navi 21 stands for.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

Seems to be selling extremely well, store me add stock pretty much everyday and they appear to be selling out, even the high end model in stores which surprised me.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Somebody is testing something :D

Brace yourselves, AMD CPUs are coming, to Mac computers :D

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Well received, but it’s early days yet. God forbid new keyboard issues down the road. Long term reliability is...key.?

Oddly it was the opposite at my Apple store. No one at the 16” MBP. The keyboard is nicer to type on.

Still iphones and iPads drew the biggest crowd.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Seems like it's the same keyboard mechanism used in the magic keyboard and possibly previous 2015 MBP. I could be wrong. So I don't think the issue will occur again. Hopefully.

IMHO, it will probably sell well because of the better thermals and significantly better graphics card. Content creators are getting a very large boost even with the 5300. 5500 with 8GB RAM should be even better. I know some people around me who are content creators are really impressed with the benchmarks and thinking of selling their vega 20 MBP for the newer models. Not a large sample size, but considering a few of them were thinking of getting Windows machines for more power, it's a good sign for Apple. Would probably do even better if they brought back some legacy ports, but we know that won't happen from the recent Schiller interview.

Also, I think it's nice to be able to go into bootcamp and game a little when you're not working and not have to carry two machines if you're traveling or visiting relatives for a while.

It's not the perfect MBP, but it's better than the previous models and good enough for most people's needs.

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
Seems like it's the same keyboard mechanism used in the magic keyboard and possibly previous 2015 MBP. I could be wrong. So I don't think the issue will occur again. Hopefully.

IMHO, it will probably sell well because of the better thermals and significantly better graphics card. Content creators are getting a very large boost even with the 5300. 5500 with 8GB RAM should be even better. I know some people around me who are content creators are really impressed with the benchmarks and thinking of selling their vega 20 MBP for the newer models. Not a large sample size, but considering a few of them were thinking of getting Windows machines for more power, it's a good sign for Apple. Would probably do even better if they brought back some legacy ports, but we know that won't happen from the recent Schiller interview.

Also, I think it's nice to be able to go into bootcamp and game a little when you're not working and not have to carry two machines if you're traveling or visiting relatives for a while.

It's not the perfect MBP, but it's better than the previous models and good enough for most people's needs.

It's a keyboard that we used before. The keycap from iMac's magic keyboard works on 16-inch MBP's keyboard. But it's slightly thinner than iMac's keyboard.

csa819

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
I told y'all we wouldn't be seeing a redesign until 2020. Mostly because of the four year cycle Apple is on, but also due to the fact we still do not have 10nm processors available from intel for Macs. I will be looking forward to see what the MBP will look like in 2020-hopefully it will have a bezel-less display. We will see......
Sure about that??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.