Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Technically similar to 15-inch...

Technically, redesign doesn't always have to mean a new design, it's just a change to the design. A redesign also isn't exclusive to the exterior of the device. Regardless, i don't think Apple is doing that whole "redesign every 4 years" thing anymore. I think it's going to be a little more fluid and iterative going forward. I think those of you here waiting for some big "we re-invented the laptop from the ground up from scratch" type thing are going to be waiting for a long time.

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
AMD APU had been added to macOS Catalina 15.2 beta so there is a chance that 2020 MBP might use AMD CPU. If AMD announces Renoir which is 3rd gen, it would be much better for MBP. Btw, the current-gen APU is only 12nm and yet it has similar or better than Intel 10th 10nm CPU in terms of performance.
[automerge]1574383174[/automerge]
Technically, redesign doesn't always have to mean a new design, it's just a change to the design. A redesign also isn't exclusive to the exterior of the device. Regardless, i don't think Apple is doing that whole "redesign every 4 years" thing anymore. I think it's going to be a little more fluid and iterative going forward. I think those of you here waiting for some big "we re-invented the laptop from the ground up from scratch" type thing are going to be waiting for a long time.

Then it's hard to believe that 16-inch MBP is a 5th gen MBP base on your statement. Wiki already identify it as a 5th gen

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
AMD APU had been added to macOS Catalina 15.2 beta so there is a chance that 2020 MBP might use AMD CPU. If AMD announces Renoir which is 3rd gen, it would be much better for MBP. Btw, the current-gen APU is only 12nm and yet it has similar or better than Intel 10th 10nm CPU in terms of performance.
[automerge]1574383174[/automerge]

Then it's hard to believe that 16-inch MBP is a 5th gen MBP base on your statement. Wiki already identify it as a 5th gen

Literally anyone can edit a Wiki page.

Reactions: fastasleep

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
And literally only a few people can edit a Wiki page because of their own league.

And that still doesn't change that unless Apple is the one saying "this is our brand new redesign"/"this is not our brand new redesign" or starts specifically identifying generations themselves officially, it doesn't matter. You guys are way too hung up on this mythical redesign.

Reactions: Glockworkorange

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
And that still doesn't change that unless Apple is the one saying "this is our brand new redesign"/"this is not our brand new redesign" or starts specifically identifying generations themselves officially, it doesn't matter. You guys are way too hung up on this mythical redesign.

There are a lot of things to redesign because 16-inch MPB barely upgraded compared to 15-inch MBP. You just have a lack of creativity.
[automerge]1574385511[/automerge]
Next is it's still space gray, right? has a keyboard and a screen?
Wait until 2035 until it's sufficiently redesigned for you.

4 years ago, Apple announced the current MBP with a new design. You are joking right?

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
This is a redesign - at least as much of one as Apple does for a mature product. How much more can one reimagine a 15-16" laptop workstation?

Apple's already said no touch screens on Macs, which would be one bigger possibility.
It already had the best processors Intel makes (and AMD has nothing at all close in the high-power notebook space).
It got a new keyboard
It got a major GPU upgrade
It got a new chassis with improved thermals (it looks a good deal like the last ones, but is significantly redesigned)
It got a new display
It got a bigger battery

A MacBook Pro is always going to look like a MacBook Pro. ThinkPads always look like Thinkpads, HPs always look like HPs and Clevo-based gaming notebooks always look like trash?

What else would people like to see on the MBP (within the realm of Apple-approved design choices - so no modular SSDs or TrackPoint replacing the touchpad...).

They didn't give us USB-A or HDMI - we could hope, but not realistically expect it.
They didn't give us 10nm CPUs, but talk to Intel about that - those aren't coming in high-power versions until early 2021 at the earliest.

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
This is a redesign - at least as much of one as Apple does for a mature product. How much more can one reimagine a 15-16" laptop workstation?

Apple's already said no touch screens on Macs, which would be one bigger possibility.
It already had the best processors Intel makes (and AMD has nothing at all close in the high-power notebook space).
It got a new keyboard
It got a major GPU upgrade
It got a new chassis with improved thermals (it looks a good deal like the last ones, but is significantly redesigned)
It got a new display
It got a bigger battery

A MacBook Pro is always going to look like a MacBook Pro. ThinkPads always look like Thinkpads, HPs always look like HPs and Clevo-based gaming notebooks always look like trash?

What else would people like to see on the MBP (within the realm of Apple-approved design choices - so no modular SSDs or TrackPoint replacing the touchpad...).

They didn't give us USB-A or HDMI - we could hope, but not realistically expect it.
They didn't give us 10nm CPUs, but talk to Intel about that - those aren't coming in high-power versions until early 2021 at the earliest.

"It got a new keyboard"
Technically No. It's a same keyboard from a magic keyboard with slimmer keycaps. 3rd gen MBP also had a magic keyboard.

"It got a major GPU upgrade"
Obviously but it doesnt represent as a redesigned MBP.

"It got a new chassis with improved thermals (it looks a good deal like the last ones, but is significantly redesigned)"
A new chassis and yet it stills has 4th design. Technically, it's a slightly bigger version of 15-inch. If you check inside, it still follows the design of the 4th gen MBP.

"It got a new display"
Are you sure about that? Same 500 nit and P3 color space.

"It got a bigger battery"
Agree.

Reactions: theapplehead

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
The internals are the redesign...
Not really to be fair. Just a marginally upgraded cpu and gpu. The cpu is still intel’s 14nm processor so we’re not gonna see a significant increase in speed. And the gpu is somewhat more improved, but again it is not enough to consider it a redesign. The last noticeable redesign we can look back to is in 2016 when Apple truly overhauled their MBP lineup (for better or for worse).
[automerge]1574446822[/automerge]
Can you define redesign then?
How about in 2016 when Apple literally redid the entire machine removing all legacy USB and thunderbolt ports and adding in only usb c/thunderbolt 3. Also a smaller design was effected as well as the butterfly keyboard, Touch Bar, and Touch ID. Even these things are not in

Last edited:

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Not really to be fair. Just a marginally upgraded cpu and gpu. The cpu is still intel’s 14nm processor so we’re not gonna see a significant increase in speed. And the gpu is somewhat more improved, but again it is not enough to consider it a redesign. The last noticeable redesign we can look back to is in 2016 when Apple truly overhauled their MBP lineup (for better or for worse).

the case is different, the screen is different, the keyboard is different and now includes a physical escape key and finger print reader meaning a smaller Touch Bar, the speakers are redesigned, the battery is larger, the cooling is better, the max ram and SSD size is increased, the GPU is improved. About the only things that are the same are the ports and the CPU options.

i mean, geez, what does it take? The changes may be subtle-ish, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a redesign. As in, someone actually had to redesign it, literally. That’s what people at Apple did. This wasnt just a CPU update that maybe required a motherboard update too. Whether or not it’s a redesign isn’t dependent on if, in your opinion, the changes are subjectively large..... sorry

Also, being factually incorrect about stuff doesn’t help you. The CPUs are literally the same models and the GPU change is rather huge and in no way a “marginal” update.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
the case is different, the screen is different, the keyboard is different and now includes a physical escape key and finger print reader meaning a smaller Touch Bar, the speakers are redesigned, the battery is larger, the cooling is better, the max ram and SSD size is increased, the GPU is improved. About the only things that are the same are the ports and the CPU options.

i mean, geez, what does it take? The changes may be subtle-ish, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a redesign. As in, someone actually had to redesign it, literally. That’s what people at Apple did. This wasnt just a CPU update that maybe required a motherboard update too. Whether or not it’s a redesign isn’t dependent on if, in your opinion, the changes are subjectively large..... sorry

Also, being factually incorrect about stuff doesn’t help you. The CPUs are literally the same models and the GPU change is rather huge and in no way a “marginal” update.
Subjective in my or your opinion? I’d say most of us who actually follow Apple and their releases understand that this doesn’t qualify being a redesign.

Also, the processors are not identical. If you look a little closer into the specs, then you will see that the upper end version of the processor (8 core i9) has increased from 2.3 to 2.4 Ghz as its base speed. Not a significant change but marginal as I previously stated. Sure you can configure it with more RAM and storage now, but again not a redesign. Just like more speakers, a bigger battery, and a physical escape is not a redesign.

To each their own. IMO, this is not in the least a redesign though. Just a small refresh.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Subjective in my or your opinion? I’d say most of us who actually follow Apple and their releases understand that this doesn’t qualify being a redesign.

This isn't opinion. The chaise is different, screen dimensions are different, list goes on. Its a redesign. End of story. You can't turn facts into opinions, sorry.

Also, the processors are not identical. If you look a little closer into the specs, then you will see that the upper end version of the processor (8 core i9) has increased from 2.3 to 2.4 Ghz as its base speed. Not a significant change but marginal as I previously stated. Sure you can configure it with more RAM and storage now, but again not a redesign. Just like more speakers, a bigger battery, and a physical escape is not a redesign.

Oh, they are quite identical. The mid-2019 15" uses the i7-9750H, i9-9880H, and the i9-9980HK. The late-2019 16" uses.... the i7-9750H, i9-9880H, and the i9-9980HK....

To each their own. IMO, this is not in the least a redesign though. Just a small refresh.

And you can call a tree a bush. I don't really care. But you're wrong.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
the chassis is different so its a redesign, just not a revolutionary redesign. remember what happened the last time they said that? if the the outward look was exactly the same with spec bumps, that would be a refresh

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
the chassis is different so its a redesign, just not a revolutionary redesign. remember what happened the last time they said that? if the the outward look was exactly the same with spec bumps, that would be a refresh
The chassis of the 2018 was different over the 2017, but its outwardly identical, is that a redesign? I think people are meaning a change in design language (which is very subtly true of the 16" - larger corner radii on the keyboard indent and trackpad, different bezel ratios) when they say 'redesign'.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
The chassis of the 2018 was different over the 2017, but its outwardly identical, is that a redesign? I think people are meaning a change in design language (which is very subtly true of the 16" - larger corner radii on the keyboard indent and trackpad, different bezel ratios) when they say 'redesign'.
what was changed in 2018? are you talking about the keyboard membranes? either way you bring up a good point. i just think that a lot of this computer has changed physically to warrant the name. given not only the size change but the larger heatsink, revamped keyboard, speakers etc. i doubt apple would change something like the speakers in what they would consider a spec bump. the name changing to "MacBook 16,1" i think is indicative too.

whatever the case is though, its pure semantics

Reactions: Falhófnir

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Other than the modestly increased case size, they might make any one of the changes in a spec bump, especially one of the "midlife kicker" spec bumps they sometimes do (e.g. 2017 to 2018, which added the 32 GB RAM capability, two cores and the T2). There are just too many changes here for me to think of it as a spec bump.

I think that this is the Comet Lake MBP - would anyone be arguing that it was a spec bump if it had everything it has plus new (14nm++++++++) processors? Apple had everything else ready early and decided to release the other changes before the processors - to satisfy people who won't buy the 15" because of the butterfly keyboard.

Reactions: wallysb01

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
what was changed in 2018? are you talking about the keyboard membranes? either way you bring up a good point. i just think that a lot of this computer has changed physically to warrant the name. given not only the size change but the larger heatsink, revamped keyboard, speakers etc. i doubt apple would change something like the speakers in what they would consider a spec bump. the name changing to "MacBook 16,1" i think is indicative too.

Yeah, its semantics, quite literally. But then, words do have generally accepted meanings and its a bit crazy try to expect people to abandon that for some random opinion of what it should mean to some random dude. But hey, its the internet.

I think that this is the Comet Lake MBP - would anyone be arguing that it was a spec bump if it had everything it has plus new (14nm++++++++) processors? Apple had everything else ready early and decided to release the other changes before the processors - to satisfy people who won't buy the 15" because of the butterfly keyboard.

Right, and this was me. I was going to deal with this 2014 and its awful battery until the keyboard was fixed. I'd happily have waiting another 6 months, but I don't need to any more, so I won't. Also, Apple very much has delayed available spec bump updates well after those CPUs have been available from other makes. They have the CPUs ready for the potential bump to a 14" MacBook Pro now. So, we could see the 14" come in say March, or even earlier, but then Comet Lake H drops in say April, and Apple doesn't update the 16" until next Fall, at which point we might see 11th gen for the U series (is that Tiger Lake? I forget). Then Apple could sync up the 16" and 14" again.

Anyway, I don't want to wait. Maybe Spring would have been possible, but since this 16" dropped now, we're probably looking at early Summer to Fall.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

The 2018 had quite a few changes besides the keyboard - the chassis was rearranged slightly (casing milled differently) to allow for a larger battery, new speakers, T2 chip on the board and the removal of the data recovery port, DDR4 RAM and up to 32GB, it just didn't look outwardly different in the end. I think its arguable that machine is as different from the 2017 as the 16" is from the 2019 15", It just doesn't look it.

I still believe we will see a redesign alongside the mini LED display that Kuo has pencilled in for late 2020 to mid 2021. I could see that being the first ARM MacBook Pro, launching either ~October 2020 or WWDC 2021 after Apple begins the transition at WWDC 2020 and depending on how quickly the ecosystem of apps falls into place for it. In that case this 16" model would continue being sold alongside it for a few years out to ~2023/24. Maybe even longer after that but no longer getting new internals (a la the 2015).

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Forget about the redesign for 2020
Next year we will have probably the 14”, and 13” will remain for the macbook air for those who wants the ultimate mac portability
Probably next year only the imac could see a slightly redesign
The ARM will begin for non pro macs, like macbook air or entry level imac or mac mini

Reactions: jimmy43
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.