Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
I hear what youre saying, but dont agree with all of it. But perhaps where we do agree is the lack of velocity. When the iPhone came out it didnt even have an app store. Or remember the first versions of macOS X. And the rapid fire releases after. And with those early versions of macOS X, there wasn't even internet updating! And not only did the updates come out fast, each update was BIG!

What was the big update from visionOS 1.0 to 1.1? NADA. Basically bug release improvements. The problem is the company is more cancer than muscle at this point. Too many bozos, and it's paralyzed and cannot move fast, it is not nimble, it is a morass. There is not even one A team left there that isn't saddled by the 99% Bozo count.

The only thing that can change things is for a leader with vision to take over and fire the 90+% of the employees that are overwhelmingly bozos and have small teams with the power to advance some vision, ANY VISION, because right now, it's a bureaucratic mire of bozos.

The big 'updates' for 2.0 that have leaked so far, seem underwhelming.

This thing has so much amazing potential. But it just doesnt have enough talent to push it over the edge. If steve were around, it would never have launched in this state, and when it did launch, there would be a lot more wood behind the arrow, and the rate of progress to mature it would have been way higher and of better quality.

Cook has milked the cash cows, and he was fine as a 'transitional and steady' hand, but has stayed WAY beyond his 'transitional' expiration date. He's basically a glorified John Scully with a bigger iPhone bankroll, and he's killing apple. He's let it amass way too many do-nothing bozos parasitizing the host to death. Apple needs a drastic change of CEO and huge Bozo purge to have any chance of moving into the future with success.

That general cant-do morass is the infrastructure that the vision pro was born into despite being started back in Job's time. The cruft has overwhelmed the system. All this is fixable, but apple has no fire under it's butt to motivate it, sadly.
My interest has gone below zero and I think I actively hate using the device now after nearly 2 months. Every time I put it on, the paper cuts turn into mortal wounds and it just feels like I'm an idiot and this is a waste of time. It's getting worse at eye tracking, typing is terrible, and using iPad apps to do anything other than view content is terrible. The lack of content, QOL updates, and overall vision from Apple post-launch has been insulting for a $4K future-facing device that needs all the help it can get. The biggest issue is Apple's interest has waned/hasn't peaked. Even Apple's most favorable reporters are asking what the hold up is because it's genuinely becoming embarrassing for the $3 trillion company to whiff a launch this big. People should be experiencing fomo right now, but Apple currently lacks the wherewithal, the sway, and the developers to deliver the classic Apple fomo-laden launch. At best, this is a $4K home theater replacement if you live alone, appreciate lens glare, and don't want a full-featured sound system, or any way to easily access your high-quality Blu-rays on the best display within a 10-mile radius. Oh wait, perhaps it's even bad for that too. I see the potential and I initially did have some breakthrough experiences when it came out, but the hardware and software are failing the vision, massively, and I feel like an idiot for not seeing it sooner. My excitement for trying something "new" was misplaced. I'm not trying to call vision pro owners idiots, because I am one, I am calling myself an idiot for not predicting my feelings sooner and not predicting this reality. It was foolish to expect much more from Apple in hindsight, and they still over-delivered on so, so many fronts. It is a very conflicting device, especially if you own one and don't love it. I promise I am not trying to intentionally insult anyone but I think it's fair to say this launch has been less than ideal and it's got some pretty severe downstream effects. I truly hope WWDC and the rest of the year have me eating my words and regretting this post.
Nothing has been leaked yet for visionOS 2 apart from the codename. I am waiting for WWDC, that’s where the betas will launch. By the time visionOS beta 1 launches it would have been 5 months.

I would feel the same I brought a $4000 device. Ultimately this first gen Vision Pro is a testing kit for visionOS. The hardware still needs a few more years of maturity. In saying that, there is no OS in the market right now that’s comes close to visionOS for headsets.

Let’s not forget Apple is trying to launch Vision Pro in more market this year. This never happened in the first for the iPhone and Mac.

TLDR: Let’s see what WWDC brings.

Reactions: Jeweller

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
My interest has gone below zero and I think I actively hate using the device now after nearly 2 months. Every time I put it on, the paper cuts turn into mortal wounds and it just feels like I'm an idiot and this is a waste of time. It's getting worse at eye tracking, typing is terrible, and using iPad apps to do anything other than view content is terrible. The lack of content, QOL updates, and overall vision from Apple post-launch has been insulting for a $4K future-facing device that needs all the help it can get. The biggest issue is Apple's interest has waned/hasn't peaked. Even Apple's most favorable reporters are asking what the hold up is because it's genuinely becoming embarrassing for the $3 trillion company to whiff a launch this big. People should be experiencing fomo right now, but Apple currently lacks the wherewithal, the sway, and the developers to deliver the classic Apple fomo-laden launch. At best, this is a $4K home theater replacement if you live alone, appreciate lens glare, and don't want a full-featured sound system, or any way to easily access your high-quality Blu-rays on the best display within a 10-mile radius. Oh wait, perhaps it's even bad for that too. I see the potential and I initially did have some breakthrough experiences when it came out, but the hardware and software are failing the vision, massively, and I feel like an idiot for not seeing it sooner. My excitement for trying something "new" was misplaced. I'm not trying to call vision pro owners idiots, because I am one, I am calling myself an idiot for not predicting my feelings sooner and not predicting this reality. It was foolish to expect much more from Apple in hindsight, and they still over-delivered on so, so many fronts. It is a very conflicting device, especially if you own one and don't love it. I promise I am not trying to intentionally insult anyone but I think it's fair to say this launch has been less than ideal and it's got some pretty severe downstream effects. I truly hope WWDC and the rest of the year have me eating my words and regretting this post.
I agree with part of what you're saying. The absence of new immersive content for what were billed as episodic series is puzzling and disappointing, especially considering how many movies and TV programs Apple has released. But my excitement otherwise hasn't diminished. When I'm alone, or my partner isn't interested in watching what I am, I prefer the AVP to my OLED TV and sound system for a lot of content.

I also prefer the AVP to my Mac for doing research online and taking notes, but there certainly are frustrations. The falloff in eye tracking is quite annoying — I have to redo it every few days. But that should be fixable in software. I also find it hard to quickly do things I've become adept at after using Macs for 40 years, but I expect that to improve as well.

Having lived through a bunch of Apple product intros where the first releases didn't quite live up to the promise, I know I can wait another six months or more for the AVP to get better. But if Apple does introduce visionOS 2.0 at WWDC, I expect to see some real improvement on the software side, as well as more immersive material.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
iPhone came out it didnt even have an app store. Or remember the first versions of macOS X. And the rapid fire releases after. And with those early versions of macOS X, there wasn't even internet updating! And not only did the updates come out fast, each update was BIG!

What was the big update from visionOS 1.0 to 1.1? NADA. Basically bug release improvements.
History completely contradicts this.
Mac OS X, to start with, absolutely did have Internet updating.
But the updates came out very, very slow, usually one every 2 to 3 months, and features were also added very slowly.
10.1 Puma did come out six months after the initial 10.0 Chita release, but was less of a new features update and more of an apology for the original launch having so many missing features.

As for the original iPhone, it didn’t receive its first major software update until 91 days after it had been on the market, which… The Vision Pro hasn’t even been on the market 60 days yet.
1.0: June 29, 2007.
1.1: September 28, 2007.
And what did that update add? Well,Not much.
iPhone OS 1.1 added the iTunes Wi-Fi music store, custom ringtones in iTunes, a couple extra text alert sounds (for a total of six at the time) and an option in the settings to have double clicking the Home button take you to the favorites list or to the music app.
It also was mainly released to disabled jailbreaking in the earliest versions. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff.

The iPhone wouldn’t receive its next major update until four months after that on January 15, 2008.
1.1.3 added the ability to move apps around your home screen, the ability to add web clips to the home screen, and improved Google maps data by using skyhook wireless, along with the ability for group SMS threads.
It was also a whopping $19.99 for iPod touch users.
Again, not really groundbreaking and pretty comparable to the visionOS updates we have seen so far.

The iPhone wouldn’t receive its next major update until five months after that on July 11, 2008, over a year and two weeks after initial launch.
2.0 added tons of stuff, but again, over a full year after the original release.

The fact that visionOS 2.0 is going to be announced literally four months after initial launch is pretty impressive, and the fact that within the first 60 days we’ve already seen 1.1, and we’re likely to see 1.2 within the next month and a half or so is also quite impressive.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
History completely contradicts this.
Mac OS X, to start with, absolutely did have Internet updating.
But the updates came out very, very slow, usually one every 2 to 3 months, and features were also added very slowly.
10.1 Puma did come out six months after the initial 10.0 Chita release, but was less of a new features update and more of an apology for the original launch having so many missing features.

As for the original iPhone, it didn’t receive its first major software update until 91 days after it had been on the market, which… The Vision Pro hasn’t even been on the market 60 days yet.
1.0: June 29, 2007.
1.1: September 28, 2007.
And what did that update add? Well,Not much.
iPhone OS 1.1 added the iTunes Wi-Fi music store, custom ringtones in iTunes, a couple extra text alert sounds (for a total of six at the time) and an option in the settings to have double clicking the Home button take you to the favorites list or to the music app.
It also was mainly released to disabled jailbreaking in the earliest versions. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff.

The iPhone wouldn’t receive its next major update until four months after that on January 15, 2008.
1.1.3 added the ability to move apps around your home screen, the ability to add web clips to the home screen, and improved Google maps data by using skyhook wireless, along with the ability for group SMS threads.
It was also a whopping $19.99 for iPod touch users.
Again, not really groundbreaking and pretty comparable to the visionOS updates we have seen so far.

The iPhone wouldn’t receive its next major update until five months after that on July 11, 2008, over a year and two weeks after initial launch.
2.0 added tons of stuff, but again, over a full year after the original release.

The fact that visionOS 2.0 is going to be announced literally four months after initial launch is pretty impressive, and the fact that within the first 60 days we’ve already seen 1.1, and we’re likely to see 1.2 within the next month and a half or so is also quite impressive.

Well from 10 early preview, to 10, and I think to 10.1 it was a paid upgrade if I recall. I forget when they got rid of that. But I recall having to buy physical media for those. That’s what I was thinking about with regard to major updates. I don’t recall having a download option for those, but perhaps I’m misremembering. I definitely had to buy physical copies of those early versions (still have them).

I think adding a wifi music store for buying and downloading music on the iPhone is def a BiG dea!?

Fair point on the time tables. They certainly were a fair bit apart. And fair point a lot 2.0 being 4 months out (assuming there are at least few major features) Is. Very very quick.

Somehow I don’t recall the feeling of feeling “underwhelmed“ with the early OS X or iPhone releases, as they were very rich. I love the AVP, but it feels much more like tumbleweeds blowing through this release. But perhaps my memory fails to be accurate.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Somehow this thing feels already old. “Metaverse” was yesterday, today it’s “AI”. People didn’t want wear light glasses to watch 3D movies and now they should wear heavy helmets for 4K to do so?

Still don‘t understand the whole concept and it seems I am not alone with it.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Well from 10 early preview, to 10, and I think to 10.1 it was a paid upgrade if I recall. I forget when they got rid of that. But I recall having to buy physical media for those. That’s what I was thinking about with regard to major updates. I don’t recall having a download option for those, but perhaps I’m misremembering. I definitely had to buy physical copies of those early versions (still have them).

I think adding a wifi music store for buying and downloading music on the iPhone is def a BiG dea!?

Fair point on the time tables. They certainly were a fair bit apart. And fair point a lot 2.0 being 4 months out (assuming there are at least few major features) Is. Very very quick.

Somehow I don’t recall the feeling of feeling “underwhelmed“ with the early OS X or iPhone releases, as they were very rich. I love the AVP, but it feels much more like tumbleweeds blowing through this release. But perhaps my memory fails to be accurate.
Should note that one of the biggest complaints about visionOS when it launched… 60 days ago… Was that it was lacking any sort of collaboration type feature.
And what do you know, just this morning one was announced, and released, to all vision pro customers.

As for Mac OS X, 10.0 was released on March 24, 2001, and there were four Internet pushed updates up through 10.0.4
10.1 puma was a free update to those who purchased 10.0, but $129 for everyone else. It released on September 25, 2001.

After that, they moved to pretty much a yearly cadence, with 10.2 jaguar releasing in August 2002 and 10.3 panther releasing in October 2003.
But in the interim, those definitely had Internet pushed updates, jaguar up to version 10.2.8 and Panther to version 10.3.9

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Should note that one of the biggest complaints about visionOS when it launched… 60 days ago… Was that it was lacking any sort of collaboration type feature.
And what do you know, just this morning one was announced, and released, to all vision pro customers.
Thanks for posting. I heard about this the other day, but didn't pay much attention. I can see where this will make a difference for FaceTime meetings with other AVP users, though the spatial personas look even more like apparitions. But most of my professional meetings are on Zoom or Teams, so I guess my persona will now look more like the real me to other participants using a computer, tablet, or phone.

Using Zoom with the AVP has been frustrating, though, since it requires Safari to launch a meeting. I've also had problems getting sound to work consistently.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014

As for Mac OS X, 10.0 was released on March 24, 2001, and there were four Internet pushed updates up through 10.0.4
10.1 puma was a free update to those who purchased 10.0, but $129 for everyone else. It released on September 25, 2001.

After that, they moved to pretty much a yearly cadence, with 10.2 jaguar releasing in August 2002 and 10.3 panther releasing in October 2003.
But in the interim, those definitely had Internet pushed updates, jaguar up to version 10.2.8 and Panther to version 10.3.9

That’s roughly how I (and my boxes of old major macOS releases) remember it. I forget which, but one of the major os upgrades was very cheap, like $29 or something like that, and then it went free for major updates after that.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
That’s roughly how I (and my boxes of old major macOS releases) remember it. I forget which, but one of the major os upgrades was very cheap, like $29 or something like that, and then it went free for major updates after that.
10.0 Chita (march 2001): $129
10.1 Puma (September 2001): free for cheetah users, $129 for everyone else
10.2 jaguar (August 2002): $129
10.3 Panther (October 2003): $129
10.4 Tiger (April 2005): $129
10.5 Leopard (October 2007): $129
10.6 Snow Leopard (August 2009): $29
10.7 Lion (July 2011): $29.99, first update available for download from the Mac App Store, USB stick sold in Apple Store
10.8 mountain lion (July 2012): $19.99, download from the Mac App Store only
10.9 mavericks (October 2013): free, Mac App Store download only

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
10.0 Chita (march 2001): $129
10.1 Puma (September 2001): free for cheetah users, $129 for everyone else
10.2 jaguar (August 2002): $129
10.3 Panther (October 2003): $129
10.4 Tiger (April 2005): $129
10.5 Leopard (October 2007): $129
10.6 Snow Leopard (August 2009): $29
10.7 Lion (July 2011): $29.99, first update available for download from the Mac App Store, USB stick sold in Apple Store
10.8 mountain lion (July 2012): $19.99, download from the Mac App Store only
10.9 mavericks (October 2013): free, Mac App Store download only
Wow, paid upgrades went on far longer than I recalled! TY for all the great corrections and citations!

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Jarrodbcall

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2013
Thanks for posting. I heard about this the other day, but didn't pay much attention. I can see where this will make a difference for FaceTime meetings with other AVP users, though the spatial personas look even more like apparitions. But most of my professional meetings are on Zoom or Teams, so I guess my persona will now look more like the real me to other participants using a computer, tablet, or phone.

Using Zoom with the AVP has been frustrating, though, since it requires Safari to launch a meeting. I've also had problems getting sound to work consistently.
I actually find this really intriguing. Having more "presence" by letting people move around more on their own makes me much more interested in personas and collaboration. Not that I have one to play with or will any time soon 😂

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Spatial Personas are the kind of thing Apple needs to build hype for the product, it is really the first feature other than watching movies that feels like a headline maker. Makes me excited for what we'll see at WWDC. I'm really hoping for synchronizing AVP/Apple TV to let you watch what other people are watching, but with a giant screen. And just window management.

Also hoping they just fix app store browsing, using it to look at more than one app is terrible with the broken back button going "back" to every app you have tapped on.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Spatial Personas are the kind of thing Apple needs to build hype for the product, it is really the first feature other than watching movies that feels like a headline maker. Makes me excited for what we'll see at WWDC. I'm really hoping for synchronizing AVP/Apple TV to let you watch what other people are watching, but with a giant screen. And just window management.

Also hoping they just fix app store browsing, using it to look at more than one app is terrible with the broken back button going "back" to every app you have tapped on.
It looks like impressive technology. I can see Apple wanting to promote owners encouraging their friends to buy one for features like this. I don’t know anyone else who has one. Maybe this is aimed more at corporate customers where many people on a call might have one.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
It looks like impressive technology. I can see Apple wanting to promote owners encouraging their friends to buy one for features like this. I don’t know anyone else who has one. Maybe this is aimed more at corporate customers where many people on a call might have one.

Working in the same space with a shared work environment is really cool. The whiteboard being shared is super cool too.

Reactions: fatTribble

MazingerZND

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2022
This sub is so dead, barely a few responses all day. What is happening with AVP? I've never seen a new Apple product that receives so little interest in less than 2 months. Now I'm worried about if Apple even wants to put out Gen 2.

It's just what most of us predicted...Apple Vision Flop.

Reactions: d0sed0se

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Yeah - I think ultimately a lot of visionOS is being built for the future "cheaper" product that will have 10-100x the current adoption rate.

In a lot of ways I think Apple is actually holding back content. They probably figure the die-hard fans bought day one and will stick with it through the "drought" of developers also just getting it day one, and they can save their entertainment until a broader launch happens (Maybe near the end of the year for more holiday promotion...)

I'm really hoping for a lot of things for visionOS 2.0.

- "Fast" hand tracking mode for games, trading off finger accuracy. The Q2 and Q3 rinky dink hardware can do this so AVP should be able to with a dedicated processor for it.
- Saved window configurations for specific places
- App "Stacks" for easier switching the app in front of you. The ergonomics of a keyboard on a desk still means sometimes you want to just change what is in your "primary display" without dragging things around or turning 90 degrees.
- Mac connection doesn't drop/lose positioning when you have to remove the headset to rub your eye for a second.

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Yeah - I think ultimately a lot of visionOS is being built for the future "cheaper" product that will have 10-100x the current adoption rate.

In a lot of ways I think Apple is actually holding back content. They probably figure the die-hard fans bought day one and will stick with it through the "drought" of developers also just getting it day one, and they can save their entertainment until a broader launch happens (Maybe near the end of the year for more holiday promotion...)
Yeah that makes sense that they don’t want to pull out the big guns with their content until closer to a release of a cheaper version. They have to make a cheaper version seem within reach when they drop a bomb like Taylor Swift immersive experience or something like that.

MazingerZND

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2022
If only you had told us that before I spent money on something I absolutely love to us every day. Now I feel like an absolute fool. Oh well, excuse me while I start another enjoyable session with my AVP. Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried the product? Didn't think so.

You can enjoy your product every single day. Some people enjoyed listening to music on their Zunes, too.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
You can enjoy your product every single day. Some people enjoyed listening to music on their Zunes, too.

Oh please. Anybody who declares a product a flop before it’s spent a single day being sold outside of the USA when said product’s entry price point is just shy of $3,500 and the manufacturer of said device is only planning on producing less than a million units in year one globally is clueless and doesn’t understand the difference between a product meant to appeal to the masses and one that isn’t.

Don’t you have better things to do with your time than post on a sub forum dedicated to a product you don’t like, have never owned and don’t intended to buy? What’s the point exactly? So you can proclaim you were right about predicting that a product clearly not meant to appeal to you is a failure? Congratulations for engaging in a self-fulfilling prophecy!!!!! Would you like a round of applause and a cookie?

The Apple Vision Pro isn’t targeted at the mass consumer electronic device market in the way the Zune was. That’s why you can say the Zune was a failure. Microsoft designed it with eyes on competing with other MP3 players like the iPod that were selling millions of units a quarter. The Apple Vision Pro isn’t targeted at the mass consumer electronic device market. Not by a long shot. Not at that price point and not by producing as few units as they are planning on producing globally this year. This device represents Apple playing the long game with a platform they hope will turn into something that will have mass market appeal 5 to 10 years from now assuming that battery, display, camera and processing technology all take big leaps forward and prices for those components comes down, etc. It’s not meant to be that kind of the device now nor in the short or medium term future. So comparisons to the Zune are about as off base as you can get right now. Try harder next time ….

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.