Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
This sub is so dead, barely a few responses all day. What is happening with AVP? I've never seen a new Apple product that receives so little interest in less than 2 months. Now I'm worried about if Apple even wants to put out Gen 2.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Don’t confuse a sub here that’s not very active with waning interest among owners of the product. The AVP has only launched in the USA and Apple is only going to produce about a half million units globally in all of 2024 and combine all of that with the fact that we’re in the boring in-between time in OS development where we’re still a few months away from WWDC and the next big version of the OS so there isn’t as much to discuss as there will be as soon as Apple makes the 2.0 betas available for testing and launches the product in more countries bringing on more 3rd party devs from across the globe who are excluded now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
This sub is so dead, barely a few responses all day. What is happening with AVP? I've never seen a new Apple product that receives so little interest in less than 2 months. Now I'm worried about if Apple even wants to put out Gen 2.
The first months is always about excitement, and how good, interesting, and fantastic, this new Apple product is.

Then after 2 weeks as the return window closes, and a lot have made their unpacking, experience and review video's, and have to return is, because they were not going to keep it anyway.
And Only the real users and interested are left.

And because most post on Macrumours are mostly to complain about Apple products,
You can deduce that the real AVP users have nothing to complain about it :)

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Speaking only for myself, which is all any of us can do, my activity in this forum doesn't reflect a lack of enthusiasm for the AVP. Sure, I want Apple to improve visionOS, which has many gaps, and I'd like to see more immersive material from them and others. But, if anything, I'm using my AVP more than when I got it to consume content and explore ways to use it for my work.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The AVP needs apps. I'm sure development will take a while, especially for those vendors who were not on Apple's preferred list and who got development models way early.

However, Apple needs to push ahead, too, with AVP-optimized apps of their own. Even the Apple News app and Home app are just the preloaded iPad versions. People aren't going to buy it if there's nothing to do on it.

I own one, but I actually didn't spend my own money on it. I likely would not have bought mine otherwise. Not to say I don't love playing with it, and I do use it preferentially over my iPad for couch surfing, but content is important.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I haven’t really noticed waning interest, in fact, I’ve seen more mainstream coverage of it within the last week than I even did before release, especially with that report from about a week ago about it being used for surgery.

But I definitely think more interest is going to come in waves.

Wave one: first month of release. This has already happened.
Wave two: when it first starts being released in international markets.
Wave three: WWDC when visionOS 2.0 is announced, hopefully accompanied by some announcements of huge third-party apps finally becoming available, like YouTube.

Wave four: early 2025 when hopefully it gets a small price reduction after a year of being on the market, maybe we start seeing some used and refurbished models become more widely available, and availability of demos and purchase units expands outside of just the Apple Store into third-party retailers like Best Buy and Amazon.

I wouldn’t really take the front page comments as an indicator of anything, exact same thing happened when the original iPhone released.
And for everyone who wants to argue “no it didn’t, the original iPhone absolutely didn’t have the same type of hate the AVP does”…
I literally have the receipts if anyone wants them.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I’ve noticed it too. But so many people were just came to be negative about it - trying it out or not. There was a lot of back and forth. Perhaps the people coming to stir things up wore out? Now it’s just people talking about use, new things, etc.

I use my VP daily and check the forums periodically to see if there’s anything worth posting about. Remember - there aren’t many VP’s out there compared to other products. A bit over 200K sold. Unlike new iPhones, iPads, etc. that have multiples of that at launch. Higher probability of people to comment, or have questions.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Another thing, and maybe it’s because there are so limited amounts of them out there, but…
Usually, when a new Apple product releases, and it gets months of coverage, the coverage isn’t always “good”, even if it’s unfair.
For example, just look at the iPhone 15 Pro launch.
There was a week of just the normal new iPhone coverage, two weeks of people complaining of it overheating, another week of people talking about the software patch that Apple released to fix the overheating (that wasn’t even actually overheating), another month or so of coverage about the supply finally catching up to the demand, and then another round of coverage when spatial video became available in December.

Compared to that, the Vision Pro launch, besides the small amount of people reporting the cracking of the front display, has been extremely smooth.
No showstopping bugs, no major hardware defects or hiccups, and it had already gotten its first major software update only a month and a couple days after it released fixing a lot of the day one gaps.

Usually, when everything is working the way that it should, people have no reason to go on the Internet and talk about it.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Why do you even care?

I took a look through your posting history and it’s pretty clear where you stand on the Vision Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
I think Apple needs to get a cheaper model out before a lot more people will take interest in it and more devs will make apps for it. The price is a huge barrier for "normal" people. Also, having a killer app on it would help too.

• Angry
Reactions: Polinsky

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I think Apple needs to get a cheaper model out before a lot more people will take interest in it and more devs will make apps for it. The price is a huge barrier for "normal" people. Also, having a killer app on it would help too.
How much cheaper? Sure, $4k+ is a lot of money, but people were paying that much for flat panel TVs in the mid 2000s, and they could only be used for entertainment.

I also hope Apple releases lower cost AVPs, but I don’t expect them in less than a year, if then.

As for the killer app, it’s already there. Immersive video, like what Apple shows in its demos, can’t be duplicated in any other way. And more content will come.

• Love
Reactions: G5isAlive

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
One major issue is Apple's abandonment of content. They shouldn't have marked all the immersive videos as "Episode 1" if they weren't planning on releasing episode 2 anytime in the next 6 months. Just yesterday we got the Soccer video which was a huge news item, for what was basically a 5 minute preview. That shouldn't be news for the platform...You can go through all the Immersive video content in AVP in the first hour of getting the headset.

There are new apps being added to the app store, but the only way to find them is by browsing the handful of apps Apple chooses to highlight when they update the app store once a week on Thursday afternoon. But that is a 5 minute process to go through the one new article per week.

On the iPhone App Store launch, the top 100 app lists where the draw that brought people back in. And it also drew in developers, because being on the top list meant a lot of eyeballs on your app. They were updated hourly. And these lists still exist in the iOS App Store. On visionOS...Apple wants to highlight only what Apple wants to highlight. And with Apple crippling search results (By showing iPad apps over native visionOS apps) the motivation for building for the platform is pretty low.

Basically, Apple has killed competition of third party devs on it's own platform. It would be super easy to fix (just add actual category pages and top app lists in each category), but Apple seems to stubbornly want to "prove" that they don't need an app store or third party developers by doing their best to give no visibility to apps.

Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
My enthusiasm for Vision Pro hasn’t diminished, but reading and posting about it has. There are some really helpful and interesting posts here from owners, but sadly for me, I’m not always willing to endure the overt negativity that seems to bring joy to some. Instead I’ve been focusing on news articles.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
While I personally have zero interest in the Vision Pro, we are in the early stages of VisionOS. The anticipation of VisionOS 2 in WWDC is high. Also, as many here have stated. The price.

Personal opinion, The Vision Pro will eventially replace monitors, rather than actual products. The days of "cable management, HDMI Cables, XDR Display, TB4 Docks" are numbered. I see VisionOS evolving to be the ultimate "infinite monitor" workflow. I can see Apple opening the VisionOS monitor functionality to Windows Desktops/laptops giving gamers the ultimate 4K 300Hz+ experience. The iPad, iPhone and Mac will aways be around. After see the Vision Pro + Mac combo, I'm convinced that monitors and cables are going to be phased out within 5 years.

Last edited:

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
1st Gen, inaccessible to most due to price. Check again in a few years when the affordable versions are out.

So far the product has launched in exactly one country a few months before Apple is scheduled to debut version 2.0 of it’s OS and most devs in the USA only got their hands on the hardware at the same time that early adopters did. Let’s allow the second version of the OS to be released, for the product to be made available in a few more countries and give the devs in those countries a few months to work with the device before we declare that it’ll be years and the second generation of the hardware before interesting things will happen with it.

Last edited:

John90976

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
SoCal
My interest has gone below zero and I think I actively hate using the device now after nearly 2 months. Every time I put it on, the paper cuts turn into mortal wounds and it just feels like I'm an idiot and this is a waste of time. It's getting worse at eye tracking, typing is terrible, and using iPad apps to do anything other than view content is terrible. The lack of content, QOL updates, and overall vision from Apple post-launch has been insulting for a $4K future-facing device that needs all the help it can get. The biggest issue is Apple's interest has waned/hasn't peaked. Even Apple's most favorable reporters are asking what the hold up is because it's genuinely becoming embarrassing for the $3 trillion company to whiff a launch this big. People should be experiencing fomo right now, but Apple currently lacks the wherewithal, the sway, and the developers to deliver the classic Apple fomo-laden launch. At best, this is a $4K home theater replacement if you live alone, appreciate lens glare, and don't want a full-featured sound system, or any way to easily access your high-quality Blu-rays on the best display within a 10-mile radius. Oh wait, perhaps it's even bad for that too. I see the potential and I initially did have some breakthrough experiences when it came out, but the hardware and software are failing the vision, massively, and I feel like an idiot for not seeing it sooner. My excitement for trying something "new" was misplaced. I'm not trying to call vision pro owners idiots, because I am one, I am calling myself an idiot for not predicting my feelings sooner and not predicting this reality. It was foolish to expect much more from Apple in hindsight, and they still over-delivered on so, so many fronts. It is a very conflicting device, especially if you own one and don't love it. I promise I am not trying to intentionally insult anyone but I think it's fair to say this launch has been less than ideal and it's got some pretty severe downstream effects. I truly hope WWDC and the rest of the year have me eating my words and regretting this post.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
My interest has gone below zero and I think I actively hate using the device now after nearly 2 months. Every time I put it on, the paper cuts turn into mortal wounds and it just feels like I'm an idiot and this is a waste of time. It's getting worse at eye tracking, typing is terrible, and using iPad apps to do anything other than view content is terrible. The lack of content, QOL updates, and overall vision from Apple post-launch has been insulting for a $4K future-facing device that needs all the help it can get. The biggest issue is Apple's interest has waned/hasn't peaked. Even Apple's most favorable reporters are asking what the hold up is because it's genuinely becoming embarrassing for the $3 trillion company to whiff a launch this big. People should be experiencing fomo right now, but Apple currently lacks the wherewithal, the sway, and the developers to deliver the classic Apple fomo-laden launch. At best, this is a $4K home theater replacement if you live alone, appreciate lens glare, and don't want a full-featured sound system, or any way to easily access your high-quality Blu-rays on the best display within a 10-mile radius. Oh wait, perhaps it's even bad for that too. I see the potential and I initially did have some breakthrough experiences when it came out, but the hardware and software are failing the vision, massively, and I feel like an idiot for not seeing it sooner. My excitement for trying something "new" was misplaced. I'm not trying to call vision pro owners idiots, because I am one, I am calling myself an idiot for not predicting my feelings sooner and not predicting this reality. It was foolish to expect much more from Apple in hindsight, and they still over-delivered on so, so many fronts. It is a very conflicting device, especially if you own one and don't love it. I promise I am not trying to intentionally insult anyone but I think it's fair to say this launch has been less than ideal and it's got some pretty severe downstream effects. I truly hope WWDC and the rest of the year have me eating my words and regretting this post.

I hear what youre saying, but dont agree with all of it. But perhaps where we do agree is the lack of velocity. When the iPhone came out it didnt even have an app store. Or remember the first versions of macOS X. And the rapid fire releases after. And with those early versions of macOS X, there wasn't even internet updating! And not only did the updates come out fast, each update was BIG!

What was the big update from visionOS 1.0 to 1.1? NADA. Basically bug release improvements. The problem is the company is more cancer than muscle at this point. Too many bozos, and it's paralyzed and cannot move fast, it is not nimble, it is a morass. There is not even one A team left there that isn't saddled by the 99% Bozo count.

The only thing that can change things is for a leader with vision to take over and fire the 90+% of the employees that are overwhelmingly bozos and have small teams with the power to advance some vision, ANY VISION, because right now, it's a bureaucratic mire of bozos.

The big 'updates' for 2.0 that have leaked so far, seem underwhelming.

This thing has so much amazing potential. But it just doesnt have enough talent to push it over the edge. If steve were around, it would never have launched in this state, and when it did launch, there would be a lot more wood behind the arrow, and the rate of progress to mature it would have been way higher and of better quality.

Cook has milked the cash cows, and he was fine as a 'transitional and steady' hand, but has stayed WAY beyond his 'transitional' expiration date. He's basically a glorified John Scully with a bigger iPhone bankroll, and he's killing apple. He's let it amass way too many do-nothing bozos parasitizing the host to death. Apple needs a drastic change of CEO and huge Bozo purge to have any chance of moving into the future with success.

That general cant-do morass is the infrastructure that the vision pro was born into despite being started back in Job's time. The cruft has overwhelmed the system. All this is fixable, but apple has no fire under it's butt to motivate it, sadly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.